Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Thanks for the L.A. Noire tips guys, I appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

scamtank posted:

Then the manual lies, my memory is faulty and the sound effects are misleading. Another case of "I could've sworn", then. :shobon:

The manual may have lied, I recall being under the impression it was silent when I first played it. The Sniper is mostly useless.

EDIT: Just remembered a good piece of advice: The game has passwords/level skip cheats that you can find on GameFAQs. If a mission seems too hard, try a different one. You may find a mission more to your liking.

OilSlick fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 8, 2011

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Hello guys,

I have just purchased Sacred Gold from gog. Any advice on a good class to pick for someone who's only experience with these sorts of games was a brief fling with Titan quest?

I am interested in the dwarf character, is this a good call?

dunc-uk
Jul 27, 2002

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Starting Far Cry 2. Having never played Far Cry or Crysis, is there anything I need to know?

A little late to the party, but I can think of a couple of tips...

There are two ways to cut down pretty heavily on the checkpoint grind:

• Use the bus system. In many missions the destination is closer to a bus depot than your location, and you get most of your missions pretty close to one too. I abused the gently caress out of this and it cut down on alot of driving and alot of fighting checkpoint guards.
  • Use the rivers. You can drive right past checkpoints on the rivers and unlike roads the guards never follow you, and sometimes they won't even see you. Just be careful on the big open sections (esp in the second half of the game), there are patrol boats that will alert mortar teams to your position. Hugely annoying
  • Go offroad. When you have to drive on land, going offroad will often allow you to drive around checkpoints and even avoid roads completely. Look at the map, there are plenty of smaller dust tracks and mountain passes that are not obvious. If you have the DLC, there will be a fairly plentiful supply of buggies and carts that are lots of fun to drive offroad.

If you have to fight through checkpoints, this was my favoured way to do it; get the camo gear, the longest range sniper rifle you can afford and snipe from good cover. If you get it right you can headshot entire checkpoints and they'll never even figure out where you are.

At any checkpoint, once you've bagged your first guy, they'll all go on alert and run for cover... take out as many as you can. Once they are hidden, shoot any exploding barrels you can see... this will start fires and force them back out of cover. If you get spotted, get away from the checkpoint as fast as possible (escape by buggy works well). Usually only one or two guards will follow you if you used cover properly and often they'll only go to where they last spotted you. Either way, snipe them all and get back in position to get the rest.

When driving at night, figure out how to turn off your headlights (there's a key bind for it). You don't really need them to see and it means you can easily evade other road users. As soon as you see headlights in the distance, drive into the bushes and turn your engine off. They'll always drive right past. Don't be tempted to pick fights, combat at night is particularly hard. You can do this to some extent at day, but it is harder to remain unnoticed.

I second the Uzi / Sniper rifle / MG combo... though I did sometimes swap out the MG for a flamethrower. Playing with fire in this game is shitloads of fun.

In case it's not obvious, I absolutely loved Far Cry 2... it is a massively flawed game, but I managed to carve alot of fun out of it and I was always in awe of the beatifully recreated African setting. I can't wait for FC3. :)

dunc-uk fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 9, 2011

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

dunc-uk posted:

[*]Use the rivers. You can drive right past checkpoints on the rivers and unlike roads the guards never follow you, and sometimes they won't even see you. Just be careful on the big open sections (esp in the second half of the game), there are patrol boats that will alert mortar teams to your position. Hugely annoying

This isn't exactly correct, taking the rivers will help you bypass a lot of guards but it isn't because the patrol boats won't follow you, it's because you can pass them so quickly that they don't have a chance to turn their boat around before you're far enough off that they give up the chase.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
I've finally cracked open my copy of Fallout 3 GOTY, and have browsed the wiki page. I've just diffused Megaton's bomb so I could unload all the crap I hauled out of Vault 101. I'm looking for anything not already mentioned as well as some specific info:

1.) I remember a tip from earlier in the thread saying that you should do all of Moira's side missions and optional objectives but I can't remember why they recommended this. I already did the radiation quest and noticed I got a bonus perk for soaking up 600 rads. Do the optional objectives all give small perks like this or are they just for the money/experience?

2.) Since all the DLC is installed, I've heard that some of the caravans can wind up dead with the higher level creatures running around. Is there a way to keep them safe or to avoid losing them?

3.) Can I still have a good character/ending if I ransack everyone/everything I come across? I'm guessing the larger acts of good karma balance out all the small bad ones, but will that leave me neutral?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

PRL412 posted:

I've finally cracked open my copy of Fallout 3 GOTY, and have browsed the wiki page. I've just diffused Megaton's bomb so I could unload all the crap I hauled out of Vault 101. I'm looking for anything not already mentioned as well as some specific info:

1.) I remember a tip from earlier in the thread saying that you should do all of Moira's side missions and optional objectives but I can't remember why they recommended this. I already did the radiation quest and noticed I got a bonus perk for soaking up 600 rads. Do the optional objectives all give small perks like this or are they just for the money/experience?

2.) Since all the DLC is installed, I've heard that some of the caravans can wind up dead with the higher level creatures running around. Is there a way to keep them safe or to avoid losing them?

3.) Can I still have a good character/ending if I ransack everyone/everything I come across? I'm guessing the larger acts of good karma balance out all the small bad ones, but will that leave me neutral?

1. You get little perks for some or all of them. They can be different ones, too, I think it has to do with how you answer her questions afterwords (STR-based responses yield different perks or bonuses than INT-based responses).

2. I don't know.

3. Steal everything. You have to be very evil to accumulate enough bad karma to counteract your quest rewards, and you can always donate purified water to the bums outside of cities for free karma. It's a pretty useless feature.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'm starting up Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga. Anything I should know?

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
I got through Assassin's Creed 1 on pc (I skipped the ending and just read about it), and started AC 2. Anything to know, or just barrel through headfirst?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

particle409 posted:

I got through Assassin's Creed 1 on pc (I skipped the ending and just read about it), and started AC 2. Anything to know, or just barrel through headfirst?

Start investing your money into your villa as soon as its available, it'll provide you with enough income to pay for anything ever. Gameplay-wise it's pretty straightforward since you have already played the first one. There are some quick-time events in the cutscenes, but they are only for cosmetic stuff and don't have an influence on the gameplay. Still, you may wanna watch out for them.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

PRL412 posted:

1. Basically they are good early game XP, and send you to a few places you'll need to know anyway rather soonish. The radiation bonus is the only one that gives you a perk AFAIK, but the rest are well work doing as they give extra rewards and are pretty easy. Most are just of the type "do whatever you were doing anyway a bit longer". You also gain a permanent bonus if you complete them all (varies depending on your responses to Moira along the way). While the excursions can send you a bit far away, you'll tend to stumble across sidequests along the way.

2. Not really, but I've never had that problem so cannot be sure. Besides, there are plenty of other merchants.

3. If you complete whatever sidequests you find with the Good Karma solution, you should earn plenty of good karma to offset looting everything not nailed down. It's really hard to stay neutral in this game. Once the evil bountyhunters start coming after you they are also worth a bit of good karma to kill, so it reinforces itself. Also you can donate purified water to the bums outside Megaton and Rivet City to gain good karma.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Kid Moe posted:

Wiki doesn't seem to be working...

Any tips on Deadspace 2?
Always keep one node on you at all times, to open the doors. You find schematics and loads of goodies behind them.

The Plasma Cutter may be your first weapon, but it remains good for the entire game. Plus it's always easy/cheap to get ammo for.

The machine gun (forget the exact name) is my favorite weapon for the zero-grav sections, as it is accurate at long range and those sections tend to be largeish.

On that note, I found you have plenty of air by default, unless you get lost in the vacuum sections. Not worth spending nodes on imo.

Be very careful if you find a big room with lots of crates in it. Especially if you hear something that sounds almost, but not quite, like birds. Stasis and stasis cannisters are your friends.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
More Dead Space 2 stuff:

There's a handful of quicktime events. I found that most of them are early in the game.

Don't bother with O2 upgrades for your suit.

Midway into the game you can repurchase spent nodes on gear you used them on for 5,000 credits. So don't feel obligated to sit on them if you like one of the early guns.

It's generally better to grab ammo capacity on any of the guns whenever possible.

Ammo is more likely to drop for weapons that are currently in your personal inventory.

You're going to want a point blank type weapon and a long ranged weapon on you at all times.

If you're on the PC version, all the DLC is free and ready to use at the first shop.

Play around with the different guns as you get them. Some of the shittier ones from the first game have been upgraded, so there's a semblance in balance. Pick something you like using.

Like the first one curb stomp enemies after they are "dead" for extra items. Sometimes the bodies will despawn when you're not facing them, so it might be worth it to shoot the bodies if you know you'll be looking away as they are likely to drop ammo.

Be careful where you shoot, sometimes the game likes to add glass walls that will suck you out into space.

Later in the game there is a certain small enemy where if you kill them with a head shot, you can toss their corpses that explode on impact. This will save you ammo and can clear out a few necrodudes if you're in a pinch. You'll know when you'll see them.

The laser grids that act as security can be deactived by tossing something into the lasers.

If you're really jumpy when it comes to bodies or you're just not sure, you can test the body with your telekinesis.

There is a new game+, a harder difficulty, and an ultra (hilarious) weapon if you beat the game on that difficulty (bugged on the PC version).

Hope this helps.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

particle409 posted:

There are some heavily armored enemies in AC2 with polearms/2 handed weapons. These guys don't like to die to a regular counterattack and can be a real bitch to hack and slash through, so make use of the "disarm counterattack" on them once you get it and these guys will become much less of a pain in the rear end.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ChetReckless posted:

- If you don't like the driving, you can press triangle (or whatever the 360 equivalent is) and have your partner drive. You'll still get the dialogue, but you'll warp to the location afterwards.

This is helpful if you like to do street crimes, because once you get to hollywood, sometimes you'll still get called up to handle a street crime downtown, which is a very long drive. Once you get to hollywood, check your map once you take a street crime and decide if it's worth it to drive - I actually enjoy driving everywhere in this game but even I couldn't be bothered to drive literally halfway across the huge city just to shoot a dude in the head or whatever.

Also, for interrogations: it can be really tricky figuring out exactly what it is Rockstar wants you to think, because sometimes it seems like there will be more than one right answer (I don't think there ever is), but as far as just determining the difference between truth and not truth (either doubt or lie) goes, this has been my method:

There are basically two situations which will tell you that a suspect isn't telling you the truth

1) They're twitchy - either they're shifty-eyed or they're stammering or nervous or avoid eye contact or something. It doesn't matter what they're saying, even if it's completely logically consistent with everything you know about the case, if they look suspicious, you need to call them out on a lie or doubt.

2) They're saying something wrong - even if they're staring you dead in the eye, cool as a cucumber, if the thing they're actually saying to you is a lie or inconsistent or doesn't make sense, they aren't telling the truth. There won't always be a physical tell, sometimes you have to listen.

But then again, sometimes there's only a physical tell, and listening can throw you off. It's tricky.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 9, 2011

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I checked the wiki already and didn't find any, but does anyone have any tips for Patrician III?

I'm assuming "buy low, sell high" but anything else? :blush:

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

PRL412 posted:

1. Your reward for doing Moira's missions is, among other things, a perk that increases in effectiveness if you did all the optional objectives. Based on how many optional objectives you completed and which dialogue responses you picked (Regular, Smart, Tough, Sly or Snide) you get a perk which increases poison/rad resistance as well as one of: HP, Science/Medicine, DR, Sneak/Speech, or Critical Chance. Generally speaking, the Critical Chance is the one you want, since skill points are easy to come by, hitpoints aren't much of an issue in the late game, and DR is very easy to manage. But there are hardly any other ways of increasing your critical chance.

2. You can check very easily to see if the Caravans are still alive. Just find the spot that they stop outside of Megaton (or Rivet City, or Canterbury Commons, or wherever) and wait for them to show up. Once one of them gets there, the others will all be on a 1-3 hour rotation. So if Crazy Wolfgang is there, you can wait an hour or two and suddenly Doc Hoff will appear. Do that four times to make sure they're all still alive and well. If they aren't, there's nothing you can do, though, short of reloading an earlier save, locating that caravan along its route and protecting it from whatever might have killed it. Honestly, as long as Lucky Harith and Crazy Wolfgang stay alive, you've be fine.

3. The karmic penalties for stealing are practically insignificant. Compared to the good karma you'll get from doing things like saving Megaton, helping Three-Dog, saving Bryan Wilks, etc., any negative karma from stealing will be quickly balanced out and eventually the scales will tip heavily into "good" range.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

particle409 posted:

It'll be more of an issue in Brotherhood than 2 but if you find yourself up against tons of big guys, poison is hilariously effective.

Also 2 rewards stealth and planning more than 1 does, so try and get more targets stealthily. Very rarely will you have the whole thing botched by a stupid cutscene and forced sword-fight like in 1.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Astfgl posted:

1. Your reward for doing Moira's missions is, among other things, a perk that increases in effectiveness if you did all the optional objectives. Based on how many optional objectives you completed and which dialogue responses you picked (Regular, Smart, Tough, Sly or Snide) you get a perk which increases poison/rad resistance as well as one of: HP, Science/Medicine, DR, Sneak/Speech, or Critical Chance. Generally speaking, the Critical Chance is the one you want, since skill points are easy to come by, hitpoints aren't much of an issue in the late game, and DR is very easy to manage. But there are hardly any other ways of increasing your critical chance.

2. You can check very easily to see if the Caravans are still alive. Just find the spot that they stop outside of Megaton (or Rivet City, or Canterbury Commons, or wherever) and wait for them to show up. Once one of them gets there, the others will all be on a 1-3 hour rotation. So if Crazy Wolfgang is there, you can wait an hour or two and suddenly Doc Hoff will appear. Do that four times to make sure they're all still alive and well. If they aren't, there's nothing you can do, though, short of reloading an earlier save, locating that caravan along its route and protecting it from whatever might have killed it. Honestly, as long as Lucky Harith and Crazy Wolfgang stay alive, you've be fine.

1. I disagree - the DR bonus is the best in my opinion. Always answer with either STR or END and do all the optional sidequests.

2. You can reverse pickpocket armor (including power armor) onto all of the merchants to make them have more survivability. I have seen them get killed countless times by even regular enemies like giant radscorpions.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

1. I disagree - the DR bonus is the best in my opinion. Always answer with either STR or END and do all the optional sidequests.

Yeah, it really comes down to a matter of style. I usually play a stealthy sniper, so for me the crit bonus is huge, while DR is less so because I prefer to avoid being hit by taking enemies out from a distance.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

PRL412 posted:

You've already gotten some answers, but gently caress it, why not:

1) The first couple of Moira missions are good for XP early on, but I'd recommend putting that quest on the backburner once you get the objective to go the place with the Mirelurks. Reason being is that Mirelurks, along with Ghoul Reavers are the "that guys" of Fallout 3, in that they're really loving hard to kill and hit pretty hard, so I'd wait until you can take them on with more than a 10mm and a half-busted Sniper Rifle*. And as other people said, you get a perk which increases Rad-Resistance for doing all of them, so you should do the whole thing eventually.

2) There's not much you can do for them until you get to a part in the story where the Enclave shows up. After that point, they'll occasionally drop in and ambush you, and their armor is one of the best in the game, so you can reverse-pickpocket it into the merchant's inventories.

3) You'll pretty much never be evil purely from stealing as the karma loss from it is pretty small, so as long as you keep doing good things in quests you'll stay in the green.

* There's a Hollowed-Out rock just behind Megaton containing a Sniper Rifle and some ammo, it's highly recommended you pick it up. If memory serves, the rock in question is in between two trees.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PRL412 posted:

1) The previous posters have the basics covered, but there are two missions that deserve special mention. One has you planting a transmitter in a Mirelurk nest; the optional objective is to not kill any mirelurks. The latter is very very hard, since mirelurks are nasty foes at low levels, and the building is fairly twisty and convoluted. A cheaty way to do it is to go to the building _before_ accepting the mission, kill all the mirelurks, _then_ accept the mission. If you decide to do it honestly, bring a lot of Stealth Boys, and be prepared to save and reload a lot.

Another mission sends you to the Robco factory. To complete the optional objective, you need at least 50 Science. The Robotics Expert perk will let you bypass the entire mission, although that requires 50 Science anyway.

2) You can use reverse pickpocket to give the caravan guards better weapons. Still, it's no big deal if they die, unless you're investing in them.

3) There is no point of no return for good or bad Karma. Also, with the DLC installed, the ending isn't the end.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Since Fallout is still the topic, how is the DLC for New Vegas, and if I were interested in it, should I wait to finish the original game first or just get it whenever?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

McKracken posted:

Since Fallout is still the topic, how is the DLC for New Vegas, and if I were interested in it, should I wait to finish the original game first or just get it whenever?

Well the ending of Fallout New Vegas is a definite ending, you have to relaod your save before the point of no return to explore the rest of the wasteland anyway. The DLC doesn't change that, they're basically very large, in depth sidequests in new areas. They increase the level cap, add new recipes, perks and items no matter what point you're at and you can basically do them whenever.

Dead Money is great if you like the survivalist, barely scraping by parts of Fallout but alot of people found it annoying. Lots of traps and some gimmicks that will kill you if you aren't very observant but some awesomely written/cool characters and loot. It's very good if you've been playing with one specific companion especially, Veronica.

Honest Hearts is a relatively big area thats very different from the regular wasteland (it has plants and RAIN) but alot of people found it a bit short and easy.

You might have wildly different opinions on the DLC depending on what your build is and when you do them. Also they both finish off or continue side stories that were hinted at in the main game so if you've encountered some of those story seeds the payoff will be better.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mitochondritom posted:

Hello guys,

I have just purchased Sacred Gold from gog. Any advice on a good class to pick for someone who's only experience with these sorts of games was a brief fling with Titan quest?

I am interested in the dwarf character, is this a good call?

It's been a while since I've played this, but...

-Combat Runes are what unlock your character's abilities. The more of a certain rune you use, the stronger that ability of your character. However, "eating" a rune like this also increases the cooldown time on the ability, so eating 100 Fireball runes gives you a 10k damage blast with a 30 minute cooldown time.

-Most equipment has sockets for various enhancements. Most useful for socketing are runes, as socketing a rune into a piece of equipment will give you the same benefits of "eating" it with none of the extra cooldown time. As long as you have that item equipped, that is.

-You'll most likely picks up Combat Runes that your character can't actually use. Don't just sell them! The wizard NPCs in certain towns will trade Combat Runes with you; the more you trade at once, the better your choice of reward. Unusable runes also carry passive bonuses you can utilize through socketing.

-These same Wizard NPCs also let you make Combo attacks, basically allowing you to string together a few of your combat abilities into one "hotkey". The abilities in a combo are fired off sequentially, so remember that for something like magic with a duration effect, the first effect has to finish before the second begins and so on (so if you make a combo that's Freeze Enemy -> Meteor ->, the Freeze Enemy effect will end before the Meteor effect begins. So it works better with melee Combat Runes, like Three Punches -> Whirlwind Kick -> Jump Attack or whatever.

EDIT: Can't comment on how the Dwarf plays. Looks cool though. The game just went on sale on GOG.com this weekend too :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 10, 2011

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It'll be more of an issue in Brotherhood than 2 but if you find yourself up against tons of big guys, poison is hilariously effective.

Alternatively, smoke bombs are pretty much a big "Win Fight" button for those large fights. Pop a smoke bomb, equip your hidden blade, and go on a stabbing spree.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Gynovore posted:

1) The previous posters have the basics covered, but there are two missions that deserve special mention. One has you planting a transmitter in a Mirelurk nest; the optional objective is to not kill any mirelurks. The latter is very very hard, since mirelurks are nasty foes at low levels, and the building is fairly twisty and convoluted. A cheaty way to do it is to go to the building _before_ accepting the mission, kill all the mirelurks, _then_ accept the mission. If you decide to do it honestly, bring a lot of Stealth Boys, and be prepared to save and reload a lot.

I say use the stealth boys. It's pretty intense, and the exp bonus is more significant at a low level.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Just picked up free space 2 off of gog, any tips?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Astfgl posted:

Here are some problems with that:

1. If you set your luck at 6, even with the +1 bonus from the Naughty Nightwear, you will still have to spend a while in the casinos to get any money worth speaking of.

2. You actually need to pass a speech check to even see the Naughty Nightwear, let alone steal it. So your speech needs to be at least 30 (I think) to get it from Mick & Ralph.

It's far, far easier if you set your luck at 8 during character creation, grab the Goodsprings snowglobe from the cemetery, and beeline for the Lucky 38. Try not to sell any of the loot you find, as you'll need at least 2000 caps to get into the strip. If that's a problem you should be able to gamble for it in Freeside easily enough with 8 luck.

Then speak to House, then grab the Test Site Snow Globe from the Cocktail Lounge and turn both in to the female securitron in House's quarters. That nets you 4000 caps. Take those to the New Vegas Medical Clinic and buy the Luck upgrade, boosting your luck to 9. Then go steal the Naughty Nightwear to get it up to 10 and you can actually just spend 5-10 minutes at the slot machines in each casino and walk away with an absolute fortune. If you tried to do the same thing with 6 (or 7) luck, it will take ever so much longer. Even if your speech isn't high enough, a luck of 9 is enough to steamroll any blackjack table and most slot machines.

I know that slot machines are more profitable, but I love playing blackjack with a 10 Luck character (made him with 9 then bought the implant). I know it's just messed up game mechanics, but I love saying "Hit me" on a 19 and knowing I will almost certainly get a 2 or an ace.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Gynovore posted:

There is an entrance to the nest underwater, through a pipe. If you swim through there, you can plant it easily without alerting anything and without having to exploit.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Decrepus posted:

There is an entrance to the nest underwater, through a pipe. If you swim through there, you can plant it easily without alerting anything and without having to exploit.
If your sneak is half-decent or you have a Stealthboy, it takes all of 2 minutes to enter through the door in the monument and plant the thing in the nest at the end of the tunnel straight ahead. It's maybe 20-30 steps you need to sneak.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Thanks for all the responses!

Monicro posted:

You've already gotten some answers, but gently caress it, why not:

1) The first couple of Moira missions are good for XP early on, but I'd recommend putting that quest on the backburner once you get the objective to go the place with the Mirelurks. Reason being is that Mirelurks, along with Ghoul Reavers are the "that guys" of Fallout 3, in that they're really loving hard to kill and hit pretty hard, so I'd wait until you can take them on with more than a 10mm and a half-busted Sniper Rifle*. And as other people said, you get a perk which increases Rad-Resistance for doing all of them, so you should do the whole thing eventually.

2) There's not much you can do for them until you get to a part in the story where the Enclave shows up. After that point, they'll occasionally drop in and ambush you, and their armor is one of the best in the game, so you can reverse-pickpocket it into the merchant's inventories.

3) You'll pretty much never be evil purely from stealing as the karma loss from it is pretty small, so as long as you keep doing good things in quests you'll stay in the green.

* There's a Hollowed-Out rock just behind Megaton containing a Sniper Rifle and some ammo, it's highly recommended you pick it up. If memory serves, the rock in question is in between two trees.

Reverse pick-pocketing and a free sniper rifle! Sam Warrick ambushed me after one of my first few fast travels, so that'll help me repair his gun.

I ran into a Mirelurk on my way to Arefu and the only thing that seemed to help was to cripple its leg so it would stop head butting me. I (accidentally) took out a pair of super mutants, and they left me with more health than that Mirelurk.

Speaking of which, my Small guns stat is already above 50, but I keep finding myself quickly outclassed in some situations. I think it's a combination of working with the AI's larger line of sight (compared to most other FPSs) and my lack of knowledge about what I'm facing. Saving before a fight helps me try out different tactics, but I find that I'll lose a lot of health and little ammo the first time, and then vice versa the second.

Am I pushing too far out of town too fast? FYI, I'm not quite level 6 yet, and I'm currently looking for 'the Family' plaguing Arefu.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Chief Savage Man posted:

There is the Freespace Open Source Project, which updates the engine and allows you to make the graphics better.

http://scp.indiegames.us/guides.php

I believe there is an easy all-in-one installer, but someone else will have to point you to it.

Other than that, I went through the entire game without any problems, so I can't think of any tips. Enjoy it - the gameplay is fantastic and the set-pieces are amazing, especially for a game this age.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Decrepus posted:

I remember that, but isn't there a bigass mirelurk in the pipe?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Gynovore posted:

I remember that, but isn't there a bigass mirelurk in the pipe?

There is a crazy Goku-mirelurk further in. When you go in the underwater pipe, you swim out of the water and there are some eggs right there if I remember correctly. It is how I did it every time (after someone else told me about it).

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PRL412 posted:

Am I pushing too far out of town too fast? FYI, I'm not quite level 6 yet, and I'm currently looking for 'the Family' plaguing Arefu.

Mobs generally scale to your level. The DC ruins contain assloads of Super Mutants, and the Southwestern area has deathclaws, so wait until you're about level 8 and 12 respectively before going there. For the most part, you won't run into anything you can't handle.

As for the Family, you can handle that situation without any fighting if you choose. Then again, if you're the bloodthirsty (or kleptomaniac) type, there's a lot of loot to be had.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Uou also want to go to Tenpenny Tower before you choose to do a certain thing to Megaton; see the people that make you do <megaton> thing first helps with how you feel about it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

PRL412 posted:

Thanks for all the responses!

Reverse pick-pocketing and a free sniper rifle! Sam Warrick ambushed me after one of my first few fast travels, so that'll help me repair his gun.

I ran into a Mirelurk on my way to Arefu and the only thing that seemed to help was to cripple its leg so it would stop head butting me. I (accidentally) took out a pair of super mutants, and they left me with more health than that Mirelurk.

Speaking of which, my Small guns stat is already above 50, but I keep finding myself quickly outclassed in some situations. I think it's a combination of working with the AI's larger line of sight (compared to most other FPSs) and my lack of knowledge about what I'm facing. Saving before a fight helps me try out different tactics, but I find that I'll lose a lot of health and little ammo the first time, and then vice versa the second.

DO you have the DLC? If so, take a few hours to do Operation Anchorage because the loot you get from that will be an incredible help.

Also it's a great idea to go to Tenpenny Towers and do the quest to get the ghoul mask asap. It shouldn't be too hard at low levels since the enemies scale with you. Look up the specifics of how to get the mask. It makes all ghouls non-hostile to you which is awesome since they are one of the most common enemies in the game. It also has pretty good DR and can be worn with most helmets. It is probably the best piece of equipment in the game and it can be earned relatively easily.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

PRL412, Arefu should be within your range at that low level. I usually clear it on my way to Minefield for Moira. But you can get unlucky out in the wasteland. Some enemies are just tougher, despite scaling. If you haven't done the fireant questline (started by a little kid a little north of the Super-Duper Mart), it a good amount of xp and a free perk at the end of it (either +1 perception or strength afaik). Ants die really quickly with headshots, and the nectar is worth a decent penny.

Your lack of damage could also be due to poor weapon condition. 50 in guns is quite good for your level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gharbod the Weak posted:

I'm starting up Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga. Anything I should know?

Quoting myself:

quote:

After completing Broken Valley you can respec skill points (but not stat points).

Ignore Wisdom and Mindread and put your points into useful things instead, you'll hit the level cap easily even with no points in either. I played a sword & shield character and put most of my points into Whirlwind, Charge Attack, Bleed, Life Leech, Mana Leech, Heal, Jump Attack, and Thousand Strikes, and it worked great, but since you can respec the game rewards experimentation, so try stuff out.

Mindread everyone as soon as the option appears. If it comes back on someone you've mindread earlier, mindread them again.

Do everything in Broken Valley before you leave, because it'll be a long time before you come back.

After leaving Broken Valley you get infinite sources for every enchanting and alchemy ingredient except malachite gems, so don't worry overmuch about hanging on to them. Conversely, malachite gems are needed for the best enchantments in the game - get them whenever you can and hang on to them.

Talking to an enchanter NPC will remove from your inventory the blueprints for all enchantments you don't already know and add them to your enchanting list. Ditto alchemist NPCs and recipes. Use this to save inventory space (and determine which blueprints/recipes you already know and can thus safely sell).

Hang on to items with good enchantments on them. Even if you don't plan to use them, you can strip the enchantments from them at an enchanter and apply them to something you are using.

The only enchantment on jewelery that stays useful past the first hour of the game is Healing Aura, and it is amazing. However, it also requires a malachite gem regardless of how powerful the enchantment is.

Additionally to this:

- the Flying Fortresses are optional; they have some nice, but not vital, loot, so if you hate doing them don't worry about it
- If you go mindread-heavy in the expansion you'll end up with an XP debt in the hundreds of thousands. This is normal and you'll pay it off very quickly once you get into the combat-heavy areas.
- When you start the escort mission at the very end of the expansion, check your skill bar - you have some new abilities there that will help a lot.

Chief Savage Man posted:

Quoting myself again:

ToxicFrog posted:

Get yourself over here and grab the upgraded FS2Open engine (and, if your computer can handle it, the various graphical upgrade packs).

Apart from that there's not really a lot you need to know before playing it. The game explains itself pretty well. Here's what I can come up with:
- Keyboard/mouse, joystick, and gamepad all work fine for playing it
- Your wingmates are nameless, useless, and soon to be dead. Don't get broken up about it if they die (if you even notice; the game won't); Wing Commander this ain't.
- The plot doesn't really branch, but depending on how well you do you might unlock optional assignments. They're generally worth taking.

Also, if you haven't already, Freespace 1 is also worth playing (and works in FS2Open).