Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Audition was fantastic, and is still one of my favorite movies.

I'm amazed that a movie could change that much and that drastically from the first hour to the last half hour. But daaaaaamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
What do you guys think of Return of the Living Dead 3? It's not very funny but I think it's kind of a fun, hosed up love story.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I love inflicting Videodrome on friends and family.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

What do you guys think of Return of the Living Dead 3? It's not very funny but I think it's kind of a fun, hosed up love story.

Return of the Living Dead 3 is a lot of fun. I mean, it's less "fun" than the first one obviously, but it's a very neat combination of zombie movie and Frankenstein story.

Return of the Living Dead 2, however, is atrocious. Genuinely one of my least favorite horror movies, although I haven't seen all the weird post-2000 RotLD sequels filmed in Romania or some poo poo that are supposed to be god awful.

Liku posted:

My favorite: "Hit the brain! Hit the brain!" "I HIT THE loving BRAIN!"

Haha, that might be my favorite too.

Clu Gulager is actually excellent in that movie, which is one of those weird sentences you'd never expect to say. When I was talking about the evocation of dread in that movie, what I was thinking about is specifically his acting in the scene where he's on the phone with the cops as they get overrun by Trash and the zombies. His frenzied explanation of the zombie virus followed by the resigned way he hangs his head and holds up the phone for the rest of the gang to hear as the cops get swarmed is perfect.

I just remembered he has one of my other favorite line readings too: "I don't have to tell you anything, dickbrain!"

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 25, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Oops, wrong thread.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Yet another nearly forgotten Brian Yuzna movie that I like a lot.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
I just finished Black Water and I was very pleasantly surprised. The movie's about three people who get stranded and stalked by a saltwater crocodile in an Australian mangrove swamp. There are some extremely tense moments, the crocodile is legitimately frightening and feels very much like a real animal, the acting's top-notch and the tone is surprisingly grim.

I'm not sure whether it's better than Rogue, but it's weird and sortof amazing that there are two perfectly solid movies about killer crocodiles.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I've always enjoyed Pulse, but the OG Japanese version (called Kairo); not the bastardized American version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjOEpIDa6_s

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I just remembered he has one of my other favorite line readings too: "I don't have to tell you anything, dickbrain!"

Probably the worst thing about Return of the Living Dead is that it's over so quick. If that film had another hour tacked on, maybe taking place after the nuke or something, it'd be the best Zombie film ever. Everything about it is just fantastic and then it's over before you know it. drat it.

Red Pyramid posted:

I just finished Black Water and I was very pleasantly surprised. The movie's about three people who get stranded and stalked by a saltwater crocodile in an Australian mangrove swamp. There are some extremely tense moments, the crocodile is legitimately frightening and feels very much like a real animal, the acting's top-notch and the tone is surprisingly grim.

I'm not sure whether it's better than Rogue, but it's weird and sortof amazing that there are two perfectly solid movies about killer crocodiles.

If you liked Black Water, check out The Reef. It's by the same director and is basically the same plot: Couple people go out on a boat, get wrecked and are being attacked by a Great White Shark. It's loving fantastic.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Return of the Living Dead 3 is a lot of fun. I mean, it's less "fun" than the first one obviously, but it's a very neat combination of zombie movie and Frankenstein story.

Return of the Living Dead 2, however, is atrocious. Genuinely one of my least favorite horror movies, although I haven't seen all the weird post-2000 RotLD sequels filmed in Romania or some poo poo that are supposed to be god awful.

I just watched one of those...it was Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis. For the first hour or so it's actually a pretty good watch for a direct to video film. Oddly, it's when the zombie action starts that the film kind of craps out. Really unexpected.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
If you're still looking for PG-13 and under horror there's always 1408 (I prefer the short story but I thought this was fun and atmospheric!), Fido (a zombie comedy), the Willard remake, Cat's Eye (more Steven King - this one's an anthology), The Others and What Lies Beneath, Arachnophobia, The Bad Seed, Something Wicked This Way Comes...and Jaws was rated PG!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Liku posted:

Probably the worst thing about Return of the Living Dead is that it's over so quick. If that film had another hour tacked on, maybe taking place after the nuke or something, it'd be the best Zombie film ever. Everything about it is just fantastic and then it's over before you know it. drat it.

I love Return of the Living Dead, but I sincerely have no idea why you'd want it to be two and a half hours long and keep going after every single character dies.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 25, 2012

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Yeah, no need for Return to continue. A lot of its' charm to me is the energy of it all, it just keeps moving at such a fantastic pace and crams a lot of poo poo into 90 minutes. Also, "You mean the movie LIED?!" is one of the funniest loving lines and deliveries in all of horror.

2 was...not good, but I like it more than most people. I also had this poster on my wall as a kid, so I will have an eternal soft spot for it:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Speaking of awesome posters:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Obligatory Fright Night story: That monster on the poster was originally created as the Librarian Ghost from Ghostbusters, but it was rejected for being too scary.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Yeah, because this played really well with kid me:

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Obligatory Fright Night story: That monster on the poster was originally created as the Librarian Ghost from Ghostbusters, but it was rejected for being too scary.

I definitely had nightmares involving Marcy Darcy after I saw Fright Night as a kid, and I can't really say that about any other movie.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Oh yes, LtkenFrankenstein, you were the fellow who recommended See The Sea in the thread, correct? Because if so, I owe you a beer. What a tense, brilliantly constructed film. The small bit of dialogue and almost total lack of music (almost) in deference to letting the visuals tell you a story was greatly appreciated. And Ti West definately owes the film a tip of his cap. I was really taken with it and while I had a pretty good idea where things were going, the ending still rocked me pretty good. Really well done stuff and thank you for the recommendation.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

Oh yes, LtkenFrankenstein, you were the fellow who recommended See The Sea in the thread, correct? Because if so, I owe you a beer. What a tense, brilliantly constructed film. The small bit of dialogue and almost total lack of music (almost) in deference to letting the visuals tell you a story was greatly appreciated. And Ti West definately owes the film a tip of his cap. I was really taken with it and while I had a pretty good idea where things were going, the ending still rocked me pretty good. Really well done stuff and thank you for the recommendation.

No problem. Although I'ma have to give you the same clarification I pointed out in the general chat thread: If you watched the version that's on youtube, it censors a pretty critical moment towards the end.

But yeah, great flick. Swimming Pool is good too, but those are the only two Ozons that I've seen.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I got the full monty, I figured thee was a chance the youtube version would be cut up a bit so I played it safe. Glad to hear I made the right decision. I assume the oral sex in the woods scene got the axe? Well now that I think of it, there is a few canidates for censoring I suppose.

Just talking about the thing has made me squirm a bit. Goodness. I watched it before I went to bed the other day and needless to say, I had to palate cleanse with Texas Chainsaw 2 after the fact.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

I got the full monty, I figured thee was a chance the youtube version would be cut up a bit so I played it safe. Glad to hear I made the right decision. I assume the oral sex in the woods scene got the axe? Well now that I think of it, there is a few canidates for censoring I suppose.

Just talking about the thing has made me squirm a bit. Goodness. I watched it before I went to bed the other day and needless to say, I had to palate cleanse with Texas Chainsaw 2 after the fact.

I don't recall if that scene was cut, but the shot of the sewn-shut vagina at the end definitely was.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Hoho, yeah that would be a pretty significant cut, all things considered.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah. I felt weird complaining about it at first because it made me seem like a weirdo gorehound, but that one shot is REALLY thematically important.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Oh no, I completely agree. The shot isn't there for a shock, it's there because it makes sense within the story we're being told. It definately wouldn't work as well without it and I'm glad I didn't go the lazy route of youtubeing, which I originally considered.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

New movie from the guys behind Cold Prey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wNDMKYQi2I&feature=player_embedded

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.

Glamorama26 posted:

Brings up a fun question: What's the most excited you've been to show a buddy a scene from a horror flick? I kick arse for the Lord! is way up there for me. I practically scrambled to the phone trying to get SOMEONE else over to see it.

The insane every-monster-ever blood orgy from Cabin in the Woods. I wanted to look around the cinema and gauge reactions when I saw it a second time, but I just couldn't bear to look away from the screen. I don't think I've been more amazed and satisfied by a single scene since, like, ever.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Any of you fine fellas had a chance to watch Exit Humanity? It has been recently added to netflix, I was curious to the quality.

Holdenmagroyn
Mar 17, 2007
40 too long???

Liku posted:

...check out The Reef....It's loving fantastic.

Yes it is.

And it's also infinitely better than some of the absolute poo poo being recommended in this thread.

Holdenmagroyn
Mar 17, 2007
40 too long???

Glamorama26 posted:

Any of you fine fellas had a chance to watch Exit Humanity? It has been recently added to netflix, I was curious to the quality.

Yes. It's not bad at all.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Thanks, think I will give it a try. The setting is unique for that sort of thing if nothing else.

And both The Reef and Black Water are excellent, tense as all hell films. The effects work really is a testament to not having to CGI the hell out of everything.

Holdenmagroyn
Mar 17, 2007
40 too long???

Glamorama26 posted:

Thanks, think I will give it a try. The setting is unique for that sort of thing if nothing else.

And both The Reef and Black Water are excellent, tense as all hell films. The effects work really is a testament to not having to CGI the hell out of everything.

No problem.

Maybe give Caught Inside a watch as well if you'd like to see another Aussie movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1604070/

It's a slow burn but ramps it up pretty nicely towards the end.

Well acted and almost completely under the radar over here.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Was it 2 or 3 that had the part with the Michael Jackson zombie getting shocked? I've only seen one other Return and I couldn't stand how loving boring it was but I can't remember if it was 2 or 3.

PsychoHawk
Aug 7, 2004
We can't stop here ... this is BAT country!
It was definitely 2 and that was probably one of the better scenes in the movie.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Gonz posted:

I've always enjoyed Pulse, but the OG Japanese version (called Kairo); not the bastardized American version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjOEpIDa6_s
This movie I like more with each rewatch. I'm not a film student or anything and I've really had to work at it and still find parts of it impenetrable; it's not a typical on the surface horror movie, and it speaks to something deeper about technology and isolation. But it really nails this unsettling tone of apocalyptic despair, especially with some incredible scenes towards the end, some of which you see in that trailer.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PsychoHawk posted:

It was definitely 2 and that was probably one of the better scenes in the movie.

So with all of the talk of 3 being good, should I bother with it?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Liku posted:

So with all of the talk of 3 being good, should I bother with it?

1 is nearly perfect and 3 is very good in a very low budget 90s garage movie kind of way. If you can deal with poor production values, you'll get a drat good show from 3, a film that's equal parts sleazy and classical in a way you don't see often.

2 is dogshit.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So The Corridor was an amazingly thrilling movie. First half is more of a drama really. Friends get together after one of them has a psychotic break and try to rebuild their friendship and each other.

It slowly breaks down into a tense and suspenseful movie of paranoia and insanity. Not much gore in it which actually made the few blood scenes all that much worse. Because you're not being bombarded everywhere with blood spatter and gruesome murders, it becomes so much more shocking when the blood flows.

If you like your movies to explain what the hell just happened you're gonna be disappointed. There's no answers anywhere about anything. To be honest, I don't even think the makers of the movie have an idea of anything. They just wanted to tell a suspenseful story and they did it. Highly recommend it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I liked it as well.

It had an odd feeling of claustrophobia with it, cause pretty much the entire movie takes places in that one cabin.

It was very... odd to see the plot develop, but yea, massive blue balls on the idea someone will explain the whole shebang to you.

Anyone ever heard or seen Barricade? Saw it tonight while I was buying a dvd at wal mart. Apparently it's some kinda haunted woods thing where a couple takes shelter in a cabin during a blizzard BUT THEY TRAP THE EVIL INSIDE WITH THEM!!!dunndunndunnnnnnn

Kinda thinking of picking it up (dug the artwork), but didn't wanna waste the cash on a crap movie.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This movie I like more with each rewatch. I'm not a film student or anything and I've really had to work at it and still find parts of it impenetrable; it's not a typical on the surface horror movie, and it speaks to something deeper about technology and isolation. But it really nails this unsettling tone of apocalyptic despair, especially with some incredible scenes towards the end, some of which you see in that trailer.

Pulse is a really perfect horror movie due to the atmosphere which is mixed with perfectly timed scares. Or how you go from a normal routine setting to seeing things rapidly fall apart.

And also gets extra points since there's no magic salvation at the end for the main characters and the human race is pretty much doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

etalian posted:

Pulse is a really perfect horror movie due to the atmosphere which is mixed with perfectly timed scares. Or how you go from a normal routine setting to seeing things rapidly fall apart.

And also gets extra points since there's no magic salvation at the end for the main characters and the human race is pretty much doomed.

I really liked Pulse but I loved Cure, a previous movie Kiyoshi Kurosawa did. Still haven't seen Charisma.