Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Senso posted:

Fun part: turning the faucet, drinking the water, repeat. Wow I forgot about that luxury.
That one always gets me too. Then I yell at people who stock their homes with bottled water for absolutely no reason.

Clean air is another one for me. I mean when Houston's air seems like it's something out of a John Denver song you know you live in a polluted place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

Clean air is another one for me. I mean when Houston's air seems like it's something out of a John Denver song you know you live in a polluted place.

Definitely, coming from the 8 million people Saigon to a small 200,000 city on the sea shore, the air is so pure. At least in Vietnam if you drive out of the city, you get that good air. Even just driving through District 7 at night and it feels like any US suburb, in the quietness and the air.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Senso posted:

Definitely, coming from the 8 million people Saigon to a small 200,000 city on the sea shore, the air is so pure. At least in Vietnam if you drive out of the city, you get that good air. Even just driving through District 7 at night and it feels like any US suburb, in the quietness and the air.

I was gushing at the blue skies in Saigon.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Senso posted:

Everything is closed on a Sunday.

No, but seriously, gently caress this.

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."
Senso what was your job in Vietnam? I'd happily take it.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Brimmy posted:

Senso what was your job in Vietnam? I'd happily take it.

I was Lead Sysadmin for the Asia region, for a videogame company. Meaning I "managed" a team of about 7 linux sysadmin spread over Vietnam, China, Korea, Indonesia, NZ. Excellent salary, chill job but I have to admit that after 2 years, I got very bored.

I think they're replacing me with a Romanian colleague, who will cost much less than I did - I was transferred from Canada and did not accept any salary drop even though I was moving to a "third world" country. I even got a small raise, depending on the exchange rate. :v:

The plan now is to work for the same company, but from home, in France. I'll know if that works out in maybe 2-3 weeks.

Senso fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 19, 2013

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Senso posted:

The plan now is to work for the same company, but from home, in France. I'll know if that works out in maybe 2-3 weeks.

Gamer nerds all over. Lemme know if they ever need an English writer. (You know, if HR is too lazy to throw a rock.) I used to do community writing for ArenaNet and wouldn't mind veering back in that direction. I'm a tad burned out on social services at the moment. Hitting Penny Arcade Expo next week, actually. (And Vietnam the week after that!)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
South East Asia Megathread - Gaming Nerds Can Actually Get Laid

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The thread Doomsday Clock is inching closer to midnight.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Voting Duckmaster for new OP

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Play posted:

South East Asia Megathread - Gaming Nerds Can Actually Get Laid

Hush, you. Girls who game can always get laid. It's like the world's shittiest super-power.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
As much as I did in Vietnam???

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Please God do not go down this road in the SOUTHEAST ASIA THREAD.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I'm not talking about hookers at all!

Edit: Looks like I've killed the thread. :cool:

Senso fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 21, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
All of you Vietnam goons and your SEX TALK!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Change thread title back to old title

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

All of you Vietnam goons and your SEX TALK!

Jealous.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

kru posted:

Voting Duckmaster for new OP

Please please please please!! :neckbeard:

I moved into a house on the weekend (for $85 a month!!!) and have already pissed off my housemates by inviting some woman off the street to clean up the garden of plastic and rusty metal. Then I charged her five dollars for the privilege. Apparently the poo poo lying around the garden "wasn't mine to sell" but they're just jealous cos I made five bucks by lying in a hammock watching someone else working and they didn't. gently caress em.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
o no u dih ant

duckmaster posted:

Please please please please!! :neckbeard:

I moved into a house on the weekend (for $85 a month!!!) and have already pissed off my housemates by inviting some woman off the street to clean up the garden of plastic and rusty metal. Then I charged her five dollars for the privilege. Apparently the poo poo lying around the garden "wasn't mine to sell" but they're just jealous cos I made five bucks by lying in a hammock watching someone else working and they didn't. gently caress em.
Are you in Cambodia now? I was in Phnom Penh over the weekend and didn't think to check in.

Tytan and I met up and I'd been up since 02:30 the night before working and then traveling, then on the sauce for a while with a few hours' work in between, so by like 11:30 I could barely keep my eyes open and abruptly fled the scene. The rest is mostly a blur and the trip home is non-existent, but a very nice Khmer man shook me awake gently sometime in the middle of the night about three feet from my Hotel door and said, "You go inside." and smiled, gesturing, at which point I looked around, walked inside and passed out. First time that's happened. I am also minus one iPhone, but it needed replacing anyway. Oh Cambodia, what won't you do to me?

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 21, 2013

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

ReindeerF posted:

o no u dih ant
Are you in Cambodia now? I was in Phnom Penh over the weekend and didn't think to check in.

Tytan and I met up and I'd been up since 02:30 the night before working and then traveling, then on the sauce for a while with a few hours' work in between, so by like 11:30 I could barely keep my eyes open and abruptly fled the scene. The rest is mostly a blur and the trip home is non-existent, but a very nice Khmer man shook me awake gently sometime in the middle of the night about three feet from my Hotel door and said, "You go inside." and smiled, gesturing, at which point I looked around, walked inside and passed out. First time that's happened. I am also minus one iPhone, but it needed replacing anyway. Oh Cambodia, what won't you do to me?

Yeh but I'm in Siem Reap. There are no jobs here but who cares?

I went out to buy beer last night and bought a TV for 20 dollars on the way home. Some guy was just chilling by the side of the road, selling a TV. A single TV. At 9pm. What kind of business model is that? Well, a pretty good one, since he sold it. I love this country.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

It really surprises me how few of the people in this thread aren't dead yet.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It truly is a Kingdom of Wonder, duckmaster.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Yeah, we've only had one verifiable casualty, though I'm pretty sure I'm statistically on the list next due to age and various historical (and occasionally contemporary) lifestyle factors. duckmaster is really punching above his weight to upset the deadpool though, I'll give him that. Also, I think Play is a up and coming sleeper contender. Senso was flying close to the flame, but hung up his spurs and fled to the safety of Yurop.

Sheep Goats will still be here posting from New York decades after we're gone.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
I'm behaving myself these days. I'm even going on a fact-finding day out with some guy who runs an NGO, apparently it's a 12 hour day and involves visiting a 'childrens prison'. Whatever that is.

I don't know many of the details, I only agreed to this to impress a girl when I was drunk.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

duckmaster posted:

I'm behaving myself these days. I'm even going on a fact-finding day out with some guy who runs an NGO, apparently it's a 12 hour day and involves visiting a 'childrens prison'. Whatever that is.

I don't know many of the details, I only agreed to this to impress a girl when I was drunk.

Be sober and report back.

(About the prison not the girl.)

(Oh please god no details about the girl.)

(Don't get shived. By either prisoners or the girl.)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
We're quickly going from Vietnamese sex talk to joking about Cambodian children's prisons. Pretty soon it'll be woke-up-next-to-a-Thai-ladyboy stories.

Those of us who live here are supposed to keep the reality of Southeast Asia under wraps and just talk about trekking and elephants and temples and markets and things. FIRST RULE OF SE ASIA, DON'T TALK ABOUT SE ASIA.

Anyway, off to try some curry at the temple on my way to feeding the elephants 555 narak ^__^

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 21, 2013

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Is that the temple by the ladyboy children's prison?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
:qq:

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

ReindeerF posted:

o no u dih ant

Haha, I was expecting an interesting story but that's pretty impressive. I love the response from the Khmer guy, almost as if he's used to seeing random passed-out foreigners.

To be fair, I was pretty wrecked later on. Started heading towards the lakeside with a bunch of people, before remembering it no longer existed and stumbling to street 51.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tytan posted:

Haha, I was expecting an interesting story but that's pretty impressive. I love the response from the Khmer guy, almost as if he's used to seeing random passed-out foreigners.
It's odd how you just sort of expect this in Cambodia, whereas in, say, London or New York you'd expect to be robbed, heh. What I can't figure out is how I got 3' from the hotel door and gave up. I'd love to see the security camera footage on that. "gently caress, how does a handle work? Better sit down and think ab---zzzzzzz"

Tytan posted:

To be fair, I was pretty wrecked later on. Started heading towards the lakeside with a bunch of people, before remembering it no longer existed and stumbling to street 51.
Yeah, I felt bad. Every time we meet up I'm exhausted from traveling and your friend shows up and I end up being the guy too drunk to stay awake. Next time, Saturday, when I've rested up, heh.

It's too bad you didn't make it to the Lakeside, that would've been a sight. All of you banging on the big tin wall surrounding it and the doors of the two streets they left there on the edge demanding they open up and serve you.

On an unrelated note, gave a moto taxi 50 Baht last night for a 10 Baht ride home. He didn't have change, so he gave me his vest number and name. Ran across him today and he gave me 40 Baht back. I did the same in reverse for a guy a few months ago who I had to stiff. Stuff like that I love about this place.

Then the museum at the children's prison where they feed kids to Tigers and then sell elephant tusks in the ladyboy market. That comes after.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 21, 2013

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."

ReindeerF posted:

It truly is a Kingdom of Wonder, duckmaster.
Yeah, we've only had one verifiable casualty, though I'm pretty sure I'm statistically on the list next due to age and various historical (and occasionally contemporary) lifestyle factors. duckmaster is really punching above his weight to upset the deadpool though, I'll give him that. Also, I think Play is a up and coming sleeper contender. Senso was flying close to the flame, but hung up his spurs and fled to the safety of Yurop.

Sheep Goats will still be here posting from New York decades after we're gone.

Who was the casualty? If all goes according to the lifeplan I'll be moving to Saigon this time in 2 years (1 year detour to study first), that's if I don't move there in February for six months, in which case I probably wont make it to this time next year nevermind two years from now.

I'm back in Korea six days and I already miss Vietnam. Hate you guys and your living in tropical paradises.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Brimmy posted:

Who was the casualty?
Harmless, nice enough young guy named BigSuave that several of us met. No one's sure what happened, but if I had to guess based on the couple of times we hung out I'd guess some mix of Xanax-type drugs and alcohol. Still, that's just total bullshit speculation, there was never any official word that I could find.

Brimmy posted:

Hate you guys and your living in tropical paradises.
Southeast Asia Is Best Asia!

EDIT: Good luck with your eventual move to THAT OTHER COUNTRY. Ahem. sextourists

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 21, 2013

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Yeah I'm frankly surprised I'm not dead.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

I once went to the island on the night boat, which usually docks at 7am. That night, it docked at 2am which to me meant I had time to go party. I don't have much memory of the night, but I woke up in the office of the bungalows I usually stay in there. I'd only lost 2k baht which, given my hangover, was probably spent on buckets and shots.

Maybe we should change the thread title to SE Asia: We should all be dead.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
In the China thread they have this same discussion, but it's about pollution, tainted foods and gutter oil.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

ReindeerF posted:

In the China thread they have this same discussion, but it's about pollution, tainted foods and gutter oil.

And prostitutes. I will never forget the "Yoda of paid sex."

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Haha, yes, I still keep that Photoshop on my desktop in case it comes up again. I've always hoped we won't have our Yoda moment here.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hey guys, I heard about this place called Pattaya...

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Jeoh posted:

Hey guys, I heard about this place called Pattaya...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS7hZhO0ee8

The whole city should be quarantined and studied by sociologists.

EDIT: Or transplanted wholesale into Sihanoukville or Angeles City.

\/\/\/ Haha.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 21, 2013

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
A friend of mine visited Pattaya after it being recommended by her uncle. She said a lot of his life now makes more sense.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Hell, I live in tiny conservative Muslim town and I've had a hilarious misunderstanding with a prostitute. I think that's just part of the landscape here.

Also "karaoke" apparently means something very different in Indonesia.