Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have taken to doing my aeropress thusly:

15 grams coffee, into aeropress (not inverted, filter wet). Wet grounds, stir. 30 seconds or so later, fill the tube with water, stir for ten seconds then insert the plunger just so it makes a seal and holds the water in. Steep for 90 seconds, then plunge (probably ~20 second plunge).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Vahtooch posted:

Just to jump back a few pages, Ive got one of those sunbeam espresso 6910's and the steam has pretty much just totally died. I was thinking the controller had just failed since its stopped making any noise at all when before you could head the chug chug chug of the pump when it was turned on. Does it going from this to nothing still sound like scale build up? And if so any idea how I can get it through the pipes since it isnt pumping?
Have you been descaling? Can you hear the pump at the start of the steaming process but then it gets really quiet? If so there's probably a clog, and if it isn't at the tip of the steam wand and you can't get water through there you aren't going to be able to get descaler to it, that leaves disassembly and manual cleaning as the only option. If you never hear the pump start at all (put your ear on the machine to be sure, don't burn yourself) then it's possible the pump (or other electronics) are the issue, but again you'd have to open it up and bench test it to know. I've never worked on one of those but most machines have their regular quirks and shortcomings, so it's probably worth calling up a local Sunbeam repair shop or two to see if what you're experiencing is a known issue with that model.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

bizwank posted:

Have you been descaling? Can you hear the pump at the start of the steaming process but then it gets really quiet? If so there's probably a clog, and if it isn't at the tip of the steam wand and you can't get water through there you aren't going to be able to get descaler to it, that leaves disassembly and manual cleaning as the only option. If you never hear the pump start at all (put your ear on the machine to be sure, don't burn yourself) then it's possible the pump (or other electronics) are the issue, but again you'd have to open it up and bench test it to know. I've never worked on one of those but most machines have their regular quirks and shortcomings, so it's probably worth calling up a local Sunbeam repair shop or two to see if what you're experiencing is a known issue with that model.

It's been awhile since Ive descaled, but it did just sorta seem to stop one day. I guess I should just give em a call up before I bother pulling it apart again and syringe purging, since last time i did that it was a hyper pain in the arse.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Anyone here use a Coffee Sock for filtering cold brew? I'm trying to find an alternative to the messy method that is brewing, plunging through a french press, and then straining through cheese cloth. Not too sold on the idea of a Toddy system, but if I could just pull the sock out of the container and have a clean cup that'd be pretty amazing.

emotive fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 20, 2016

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

emotive posted:

Anyone here use a Coffee Sock for filtering cold brew? I'm trying to find an alternative to the messy method that is brewing, plunging through a french press, and then straining through cheese cloth. Not too sold on the idea of a Toddy system, but if I could just pull the sock out of the container and have a clean cup that'd be pretty amazing.

I pour my coldbrew through my Chemex. It's super easy and I dont have to rinse out a filter / sock or anything like that.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I do french press, -> aeropress with a metal filter and it results in a clean cuppa. Just pour it through whatever if you don't like the sediment of a french press.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I bought this (or a variant of) Hario cold brew maker:
https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/hario/mcpn-7b?CAWELAID=530008000000002193&gclid=CJy2tLyy68wCFZSEaQodvo0JGw

I don't think it makes the same level of concentrate that my French press did, since I'm filling it with more water per 100g beans, but it makes a ton of cold brew that my fiancée likes and rinsing the filter takes ~1 minute.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

dik-dik posted:

Welp, the lower gear on my whirley pop finally gave out. It's quite impressively warped from all the heat. Lasted about 21 months of abuse. Anyone here know how to get a replacement gear?

In case anyone else runs into this: email or call the Whirley Pop people and they will send you a replacement set of gears, for free!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I've been wavering on picking up a Behmor 1600 plus for a little while now as I've been doing some larger batches as gifts for people over the last year and doing them on my Freshroast SR500 is a huge pain in the rear end. I was going to ask my mom for a Sweet Marias gift card to help fund that, but out of a general curiosity, I looked around and stumbled on someone selling an un-used open box one on Ebay for $305 shipped, so I decided to snag it. I'm excited to be able to roast in real quantity now.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

rockcity posted:

so I decided to snag it. I'm excited to be able to roast in real quantity now.

I look forward to getting coffee from you.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Niyqor posted:

I look forward to getting coffee from you.

I'm working on trying to go to a conference up your way in September, so I could bring some with me then.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

We got the ROK manual thingers in the shop finally. They are... beefy seeming. Substantial heft to them, and the metal parts are real, dense, metal. I've heard tell of it used as a campfire/porta dealy, but between the grinder and the press that's a lot of cubic volume to jam into your backpack, and that's not even counting the beans or the crockery.

The grinder:

The manual press:

But Snake, how does it taste? I still haven't had time to pull one off one of these guys yet, I'm waiting for the head tech to do it because he'll do a better job. My only concern so far is that plasticky bit at the top of the espresso press. It's a lot thicker and denser than you'd think based on the picture, but I can see it getting scratched/cracked/fogged over time. It's also the main seal on the pressure chamber as it moves down. I can see why they'd want to make it clear for ease of use but I wonder if that'll come back to bite them.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

I bought this (or a variant of) Hario cold brew maker:
https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/hario/mcpn-7b?CAWELAID=530008000000002193&gclid=CJy2tLyy68wCFZSEaQodvo0JGw

I don't think it makes the same level of concentrate that my French press did, since I'm filling it with more water per 100g beans, but it makes a ton of cold brew that my fiancée likes and rinsing the filter takes ~1 minute.

How much g of coffee do you use with this per ml of water? How many hours do you let it sit before taking out the filter? Then just pour and add milk?
NYC just got hot, time to start making the girlfriend cold brew.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

emotive posted:

I use one of these, in conjunction with this thing I picked up from Target:

Honestly could not be easier. Grind your coffee coarsely, put the bag over the mouth of the jar, fill with coffee, add water at a 1:3-ish ratio (I do about a 1:3.33 ratio to reduce bitterness), let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours, pull the bag out, enjoy coffee. The thing has a loving spout on it, how much easier could it possibly be?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Speaking of cold brew, how much does the coffee bean selection matter? A barista told me it didn't matter and any cheap decent roast would do. So I was thinking to just get some of the filter mix from a local roaster and grind that at home.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think the bean selection matters either since cold brew tastes bad

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think the bean selection matters either since cold brew tastes bad

Well, this opinion is wrong.

I do find that cold brew can be quite tolerable even with cheap coffee, but a good bean is still going to matter.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Well, I wasn't going to go for Folger's or anything that bad -- I was more thinking to use, say, "grocery store" coffee as opposed to hipster coffee.

As for cold brew being bad, I find it helps to add just a bit of cane sugar. I guess if I'm at that point, then bean quality isn't that important. :v:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Try a little salt instead of sugar. It apparently does something to the bitterness receptors on your tongue.

I've always done it, and when I forget it can very easily taste the difference.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I buy good stuff from a local roaster (Black Hand in Richmond, VA) for my cold brew because they make great stuff, it's only around $11 a pound, and if you can remember to get your card stamped each time you buy, you get every sixth bag of coffee for free.

And I've found that as far as bitterness goes, just adjusting your water/coffee ratio will totally take care of it. A few days ago I brewed a smaller batch, 2 cups of grounds to 7 cups of water, with Black Hand's Mexican Veracruz beans. My friends told me it was the least bitter cold brew they'd ever had.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is peaberry a commonly known coffee term? I'd never even heard about it before I got into roasting. Either way apparently trader Joe's is selling these:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's common

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It just describes round beans, right?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

It just describes round beans, right?

Specifically when a coffee fruit forms a single bean rather than two because one of them didn't get fertilised. So rather than two hemi-spherical beans, you get one spherical bean instead. They sell at a price premium for a supposed better taste, which is placebo.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, they're generally smaller and spherical. There's no outright one is better than the other difference, though I've liked most of the peaberry coffees that I've had and roasted.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

How much g of coffee do you use with this per ml of water? How many hours do you let it sit before taking out the filter? Then just pour and add milk?
NYC just got hot, time to start making the girlfriend cold brew.

I was following the 100:400 coffee:water ratio recipe in this thread somewhere when I was using a French press. Now I just use 100g of coffee and pour water in until the brewer is full because it makes more cold brew and my fiancée doesn't care if it's weaker. I let it sit for 8-12 hours before taking out the filter, depending on when I remember to put the coffee in that day :downs:

Since I'm making my fiancée cold brew coffee out of the flavored beans she buys, and she's liked every one I've made, I'm not too detailed on the process right now. Texas just flipped the switch to butt hot, so I'm going to make myself cold brew that will be more in accordance with proper ratios and testing of steep length + grind sizes. The sock filter may be better for full immersion of the coffee though.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I've seen the 1:4 ratio floating around and that seems crazy concentrated (and expensive) to me. I do 1:7 and dilute 50/50 with ice and water/milk and it's perfectly strong.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

rockcity posted:

Yeah, they're generally smaller and spherical. There's no outright one is better than the other difference, though I've liked most of the peaberry coffees that I've had and roasted.

Back in the day, when folks roasted their own coffee in skillets and the like, peaberry beans commanded a premium because there was no flat edge, so the 'home' roaster could get a better roast, no burnt beans. Or that's what I've heard.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

porktree posted:

Back in the day, when folks roasted their own coffee in skillets and the like, peaberry beans commanded a premium because there was no flat edge, so the 'home' roaster could get a better roast, no burnt beans. Or that's what I've heard.

Yeah that's the only context in which I'd ever heard of them, which is why I was surprised.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

After years of scoffing I finally broke down and got a real burr grinder. Until recently I've relied on living very close to several good coffee shops and roasters, but now in the wasteland that is where I live I've been reduced to office supplied pre-ground Peats in a crappy drip brewer. On the recommendation of a friend I order a Capresso Jura Infinity, here it is with my setup:

After three pots I'm really happy with it. Even with only Trader Joes beans it's just so much better than pre-ground (of the same bean). This weekend I'll be picking up some beans from my favorite roaster and hoping to figure out how to brew them as well as they do.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
coffee hobbyist phase 1: deep satisfaction. everything is nice and good

phase 2: confusion. why doesn't thing taste as good as the stuff from phase one?

phase 3: deep disappointment. people drink this stuff? maybe my kettle is rusted?

phase 4: acceptance. it's just coffee not nectarine, almond, honeydew melon, pear

phase 5: chocolate croissant. why the hell haven't i been eating one of these with every coffee? this is incredible!

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
one thing i've noticed is that lighter roasts' acidity mellow out quite a bit if you wait about 2 weeks after roast date. i think i'm gonna hunt for a crusty bag of light roast next time i buy instead of a freshly roasted one like i normally do.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Behmor roast #1 in the books. I went with just a quarter pound for the first go. Decided to try it in manual mode because I've heard mixed things about the programs. I really should have backed down the power a lot earlier than I did. There was essentially no lag time between first and second crack and I didn't realize how dark things had gotten already. Stopped the roast just in time to save it really. It's probably about a full city + since second crack was probably close to done by the time I noticed it. Definitely darker than I usually go, but should be decent. It was certainly a good learning experience. Much more cleanup with this than my Freshroast, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with my first experience using it.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Bronze posted:

chocolate croissant

In life there is only chocolate croissant.

Especially: Amara's Chocolate in Pasadena, completely homemade, also serves Jones Coffee. Some Crust Bakery in Claremont.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

rockcity posted:

Behmor roast #1 in the books. I went with just a quarter pound for the first go. Decided to try it in manual mode because I've heard mixed things about the programs. I really should have backed down the power a lot earlier than I did. There was essentially no lag time between first and second crack and I didn't realize how dark things had gotten already. Stopped the roast just in time to save it really. It's probably about a full city + since second crack was probably close to done by the time I noticed it. Definitely darker than I usually go, but should be decent. It was certainly a good learning experience. Much more cleanup with this than my Freshroast, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with my first experience using it.

I've been rockin Behmor roasts for a while - let me tell ya, Manual is pretty tricky. Here's my routine:

pre warm until hitting B results in ~200.. all hardware inside, and empty
toss charge in (use grill gloves or something so you don't have to rush). take pride in efficiently opening the unit, removing the chaff tray, removing drum, replacing chaff tray, filling drum with charge, and then deftly putting the drum in while minimizing heat loss. very zen / ADD, and if you do it right, you won't lose any heat as judged by hitting "B" again (note, this isn't a true temp)

for simple roast of 3/4 lb, hit 1lb and watch it go.

be around for the dead man's switch, extending time to the max.

after 1C, I let it go for about another 3 minutes typically and initiate stop about 30 seconds after first few beans start 2C.

stopping consists of opening the door, removing the chaff tray (with a shop vac running on it to suck up all the chaff), running the shop vac in the oven itself for about 30 seconds to suck up the heat, and then putting a fan on it for about 5-6 minutes until its cold.

This produces a nice, evenly roasted bean suitable for my PID'd Gaggia Classic. Works across variety of beans it seems.

I've tried roasting lighter, but the beans always come out mottled. Perhaps adjusting drum speed and adjusting power (with manual) would fix this. I'm sure there's a better way to handle the Behmor so I'd like to hear your experiences as well!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

dhrusis posted:

I've been rockin Behmor roasts for a while - let me tell ya, Manual is pretty tricky. Here's my routine:

pre warm until hitting B results in ~200.. all hardware inside, and empty
toss charge in (use grill gloves or something so you don't have to rush). take pride in efficiently opening the unit, removing the chaff tray, removing drum, replacing chaff tray, filling drum with charge, and then deftly putting the drum in while minimizing heat loss. very zen / ADD, and if you do it right, you won't lose any heat as judged by hitting "B" again (note, this isn't a true temp)

for simple roast of 3/4 lb, hit 1lb and watch it go.

be around for the dead man's switch, extending time to the max.

after 1C, I let it go for about another 3 minutes typically and initiate stop about 30 seconds after first few beans start 2C.

stopping consists of opening the door, removing the chaff tray (with a shop vac running on it to suck up all the chaff), running the shop vac in the oven itself for about 30 seconds to suck up the heat, and then putting a fan on it for about 5-6 minutes until its cold.

This produces a nice, evenly roasted bean suitable for my PID'd Gaggia Classic. Works across variety of beans it seems.

I've tried roasting lighter, but the beans always come out mottled. Perhaps adjusting drum speed and adjusting power (with manual) would fix this. I'm sure there's a better way to handle the Behmor so I'd like to hear your experiences as well!

I tend to roast small batches 90% of the time so I might toy around with manual mode some more as if I screw it up the amount lost isn't terrible. I think I'll get better results from my second go at it when I try it this week just from learning what I did on the first attempt. I watched a video of a guy doing manual where he started cold on P5 and it it rise until it hit about 300F on the A temp and then dropped down to P3 and sort of balanced it around there by going up and down on power as needed, trying not to go over 320F. I did that yesterday but temp shot up fast at the end and it was up at like 340F which I think was why I shot right into second crack.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I might back this press, it's a French press with a captured coffee container, and an optional filter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/simplijenni/simplipress

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

I might back this press, it's a French press with a captured coffee container, and an optional filter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/simplijenni/simplipress
Looks cool, but their argument in the video is that using a normal french press is like some bonkers infomercial level scenario.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone interested in my Huky 500 roaster? I got it for sale on eBay but Id rather it go to someone on the forums. It's been heavily used as it was the goon coffee workhorse so that runs pretty steadily. Some issues I can go over - like the screw on the faceplate needing pushing in every roast. Works fine - I've since upgraded to a larger roaster. Kuahno is asking for 1700 for them now but I'll go lower because that's the way of things with roasters of this size.(whereas bigger ones don't lose much value).

MasterControl fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Steve Jorbs posted:

Looks cool, but their argument in the video is that using a normal french press is like some bonkers infomercial level scenario.

Lol seriously. "I leave my french press to sit for days and then it's gross and harder to clean. Also I'm clumsy. This design is flawed!"

Anyway the Espro Press already solved this "problem" (with what looks like an easier cleanup), and there's no paper filters to buy. Another winner from Kicksharter