Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

blugu64 posted:

If EVs are really that much better then gas cars, then they don't need a subsidy.
Turns out new technology is expensive. Just like active collision avoidance, backup cameras and lane departure assist/warning are add-ons despite improving car safety by a bunch.

That's gotta take the cake for dumb wokebrain statements tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

blugu64 posted:

If EVs are really that much better then gas cars, then they don't need a subsidy.

Sure, lets get rid of all the subsidies on oil and normal ICE cars then as well. Remove all the tax breaks as well. Take away any possibility of Govt bailouts as well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Love the ID Buzz, love the Fully Charged bits with Jonny Smith. It's much freer form, more in-depth and lower paced than TV productions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQut6ks3nSY

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sure, lets get rid of all the subsidies on oil and normal ICE cars then as well. Remove all the tax breaks as well. Take away any possibility of Govt bailouts as well.

RIP ethanol.

Except I'd be more than ok with that.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Girlfriend snagged an used i3 over the weekend and I’m in absolutely in love with the car (her too, *coughs*). We had a fun shakedown drive about 60-something miles out of the city and got to experience the smooth, almost eerily quiet cabin at highway speeds, the “oh poo poo” feeling of draining more than half your battery driving in one direction (and continuing onwards), the glory of Georgia Power’s well-kept CCS/Chademo QCs and watching your car gain miles back in minutes, and the righteous indignation felt when two dickheads in ICE cars block chargers (I’m a sadbrain used to drivers being lovely, but she was pissssssssed).

All in all, love the i3, excellent car would buy again. That’s my story, thanks for reading!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It loving amazes me that so many people are blissfully ignorant of the sheer amount of money our governments throw at oil companies. ExxonMobil gets loving billions in government assistance and I’m praying for a bill to pass that’ll give me a thousand-dollar pittance on the purchase of my Zero. :smith:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you remove the subsidy on US sugar the price will go down.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
https://youtu.be/ssU2mjiNi_Q

They made a video taking the battery out of a Chevy Bolt.. now there is a new video where they completely disassemble the battery.

Interestingly they use a heating/cooling plate on the bottom of the cells with a massive thermal interface pad between the cells and the plate. Instead of sandwiching cooling channels been each cell like the Volt or Tesla.

Edit: Also, its only 57kWh, not 60kWh.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 21, 2018

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
First batch of non-current-Tesla-owners got to pick their paint and wheels for Model 3s today. I’m not one of them, but I’m waiting to see the awd version anyway.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Same and same.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

borkencode posted:

First batch of non-current-Tesla-owners got to pick their paint and wheels for Model 3s today. I’m not one of them, but I’m waiting to see the awd version anyway.

Source?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Several posters on Reddit claiming to be non-owners and getting invites. No real way to verify, but brand new owners getting invites a week later is a good indication their list of owners is down to nothing.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/tesla-begins-taking-model-3-orders-from-first-time-reservation-holders-1519318801

(Paywalled but you know what to do)

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Several posters on Reddit claiming to be non-owners and getting invites. No real way to verify, but brand new owners getting invites a week later is a good indication their list of owners is down to nothing.

The stories out about current owners registering now getting to configure very quickly points to this too, yeah.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I personally know a guy who lives in Texas, is a non-owner, and he just posted a screenshot of his completed order. So yeah, furiously refreshing my inbox from now on. :)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

OldPueblo posted:

I personally know a guy who lives in Texas, is a non-owner, and he just posted a screenshot of his completed order. So yeah, furiously refreshing my inbox from now on. :)

Might be worth furiously refreshing your tesla account page, instead. I’ve heard of numerous people who could configure, and completed configuration, without ever receiving an email.

I’m still waiting. :(

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I wouldn’t bother with the :f5: for a while. Invites have been going out in batches, they probably sent out enough to ensure orders for a few weeks of production at the least this round.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

Bloomberg set up a site to estimate Model 3 production, currently still at around 1000 per week.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also, smog taxes to cover all the externalized costs of millions of internal combustion engines.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Jaguar now has an all-electric car. Its features look pretty cool (240 mile range, 0-to-60 in 4.5 seconds). The list price will start at £58,995 (about $81,000 USD).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Consumption seems a tad high with that range, but otherwise it seems fantastic. 4G WIFI hotspot is awesome, dashcams online all the time and laptop browsing while charging at 100 kW.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

31 miles of all electric range.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That definitely deserves massive tax credits for the people who buy them.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Jaguar’s I Pace is getting US pricing starting around $70k.

It is awesome to see competition here!

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
If Bentley wants to make a semi electrified crossover with 31 miles range they are more than welcome. I don’t get what is with AI poo-pooing anything that doesn’t meet their arbitrary requirements and isn’t in the goon snack bracket.

Just be happy; and if you’re going to be critical be cognizant.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
People get really mad about subsidies they don't use.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
GM has announced a commercial version of the Bolt with a cargo back. No real details yet, but you should expect to see them tootling around doing local deliveries sometime this year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

If Bentley wants to make a semi electrified crossover with 31 miles range they are more than welcome. I don’t get what is with AI poo-pooing anything that doesn’t meet their arbitrary requirements and isn’t in the goon snack bracket.

It's dumb because a luxury car maker has more pricing headroom to make an actually good electric car.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Speleothing posted:

GM has announced a commercial version of the Bolt with a cargo back. No real details yet, but you should expect to see them tootling around doing local deliveries sometime this year.
Gotta sell them somehow. Sales have been less than impressive.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Gotta sell them somehow. Sales have been less than impressive.

A small blessing. That thing is gross.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I sat in a Bolt at the local auto show and it had, by far, the most rock hard seat I've ever experienced in a car. You could have told me it was a metal stadium seat covered by cloth and I would have believed you.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

bawfuls posted:

It's dumb because a luxury car maker has more pricing headroom to make an actually good electric car.

But they didn't. Even the regenerative braking makes a huge difference here.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I sat in a Bolt at the local auto show and it had, by far, the most rock hard seat I've ever experienced in a car. You could have told me it was a metal stadium seat covered by cloth and I would have believed you.

It felt a lot like my spark ev. I'm not really convinced they want it to succeed. Also, the brake light design is stupid. Why do they have to make an ~*electric car*~ instead of a car that is electric?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

It felt a lot like my spark ev. I'm not really convinced they want it to succeed. Also, the brake light design is stupid. Why do they have to make an ~*electric car*~ instead of a car that is electric?

For the same reason they had to make a ~*hybrid car*~ instead of a car that is a hybrid for the first 10 years. They have to draw in the doofus early adopters first.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm guessing that Bentley is a Congestion Charge Special, built to be exempt from the London road tax. Other environmentally safe cars exempt are the Merc S500 plugin and the Porsche 918 Spyder...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2018/03/06/bmw-i4-name-next-model/

BMW i4 incoming....

The Sicilian posted:

In general I think plug-in hybrids are horrible stupid things for all but a tiny, tiny subset of users that in no way justifies producing them in the first place besides gaming government incentives and/or marketing and a plug-in hybrid Bentley SUV is about taking that as far as stupidly possible.

Also I hate a lot of PHEV drivers, stop stealing our electric car spots, last week I saw someone at Whole Foods parked in an electric car spot and they didn't even bother plugging their car in because why would they?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 7, 2018

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Finger Prince posted:

A small blessing. That thing is gross.

Not nearly as hideous as a Model X, having seen both on the street regularly.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Speleothing posted:

Not nearly as hideous as a Model X, having seen both on the street regularly.
Bolt is definitely worse. At least the X had some cool factor. The bolt is just ugly.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Bolt is definitely worse. At least the X had some cool factor. The bolt is just ugly.

I think the Bolt looks better than the model x, but drat if the Bolts seats don't suck. I guess different strikes for different folks.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Talking about the Bentley.
The X may be a blob with unwieldy proportions, but at least its not as conspicuously awful as the Bentayga. The Bentley looks like it was built for people who would have bought a QX80 if they had less money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

Why do they have to make an ~*electric car*~ instead of a car that is electric?

I bet 90% of people on the road don't even know it is an electric car. It looks just like a Fit/every other hatchback.

• Locked thread