Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Quink may be bland, but my anecdote is that it has always been consistently bland, and doesn't bleed or feather on the paper I tend to use--unlike most other inks I have tried. And it also doesn't have the awful nib creep of Noodler's black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
my goddamn loving pilot metro is leaking a lot, is there a good troubleshooting methodology or something?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

bewbies posted:

my goddamn loving pilot metro is leaking a lot, is there a good troubleshooting methodology or something?

Is it leaking from the nib/feed/front of the pen? Air is getting in somewhere. Make sure the nib and feed are seated securely.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It seems to get ink out around the top of the...black plastic part? I can't tell if it is coming out of the top or the bottom though.

I've tried reseating the nib a bunch of times and that doesn't seem to fix it...what about the feed?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
e: /\/\/\

Do you mean where the section screws into the barrel? That seems like it would mean that the cartridge or converter isn't seated properly or fully.

Trustworthy posted:

:lol: Quink Black was the first ink I ever bought. It, combined with a generic composition notebook, are really gonna make my tofu journal shine.

P.S. Last night I lost my mind and ordered a 580 and a bottle of Oxblood; at what point do I need to see a professional for pen madness?

*checks inland marine schedule for insured pens, sighs*

you got a ways to go buddy

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 22, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bewbies posted:

It seems to get ink out around the top of the...black plastic part? I can't tell if it is coming out of the top or the bottom though.

I've tried reseating the nib a bunch of times and that doesn't seem to fix it...what about the feed?

Did you try turning it into an eyedropper pen and ink is leaking out of the barrel because it was never designed to do that?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

As great as Noodler ink is, the bottle shape makes it really hard to refill my ink cartridge thingy because I have to hold it one hand and use the other hand to twist the end.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

They make this thing that goes in the bottle and holds ink near the opening. Never tried it, though.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

taqueso posted:

They make this thing that goes in the bottle and holds ink near the opening. Never tried it, though.

I have a pilot bottle with one of those in it (I think they only come in the 70ml bottles). It works pretty nicely, but I imagine that it's made specifically to fit in the neck of the pilot bottle; I'd be a bit concerned as to how it's meant to stay in place in a generic size like that. Especially since for that to work you kinda need to invert the bottle to fill the little basket. Maybe since the one you linked has slots, you're just meant to tilt it a bit instead?

But yeah, unless you've got a snorkel filler, Noodlers bottles get progressively less fun to fill from after about a quarter's gone. They're a bit less painful if you've got a squeeze filler or something with an endcap (like a button filler or a Pelikan or something). The bottles themselves are heavy enough that I never really feel I need to hold them in place, at least.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I believe the one I linked is made specifically for noodler's 3oz bottles.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

taqueso posted:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Also, if you're filling a converter, a blunt syringe is your friend.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

atholbrose posted:

Also, if you're filling a converter, a blunt syringe is your friend.

Or any pen where you can remove the nib and feed really. I fill with a syringe when I want to use an ink sample in my Homo Sapiens.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have actually started cartridge filling any of my pens that take them and stopped using converters. Syringes are cheap as gently caress and there is absolutely no mess. No wiping ink off of anything. Particularly using the same color again in the same pen (and I have so many that I do that often) I can leave remaining ink in the feed and it is just as full as it would be filling through the nib, and cartridges tend to be bigger than converters. A win/win all around, except if I were to need to fill a pen out of the house and get weird looks.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I converted to syringe and cartridge ever since I got a CON-50 stuck in my Pilot Plumix. I have absolutely no idea how it happened, it just would not come out, I actually broke the screw off the top of the converter trying to pull it out and ultimately had to take a pair of scissors to it and shear the plastic off. The pen is now unusable and I'm just glad it happened to a pen I don't care about.

...So uh, has anyone had any luck converting a Plumix to an eyedropper??

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

rio posted:

I have actually started cartridge filling any of my pens that take them and stopped using converters. Syringes are cheap as gently caress and there is absolutely no mess. No wiping ink off of anything. Particularly using the same color again in the same pen (and I have so many that I do that often) I can leave remaining ink in the feed and it is just as full as it would be filling through the nib, and cartridges tend to be bigger than converters. A win/win all around, except if I were to need to fill a pen out of the house and get weird looks.

But if you use the same pen consecutively for more than one fill how will you feel like you're using all of your pens equally? :stare:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

rio posted:

I hope you have a bulb converter or two laying around that fit your feed nicely…

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

rio posted:

A win/win all around, except if I were to need to fill a pen out of the house and get weird looks.

Re-stopper a spare cart with a glue gun.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Kerbtree posted:

One of the thread regulars has mentioned using a lil' cut up piece of chopstick a couple times.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Kessel posted:

We got some help and gave our website a significant (a really significant) upgrade.

http://musu.bi

I hope you like it!

I'm glad I stopped back in this thread because I am gonna buy the poo poo out of some of these. PMing you.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Trustworthy posted:

:lol: Quink Black was the first ink I ever bought. It, combined with a generic composition notebook, are really gonna make my tofu journal shine.

P.S. Last night I lost my mind and ordered a 580 and a bottle of Oxblood; at what point do I need to see a professional for pen madness?

I bought a $350 Delta so I would have something to talk about for a theme at a local pen club. You've got a ways to go.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

But if you use the same pen consecutively for more than one fill how will you feel like you're using all of your pens equally? :stare:

That is a serious problem actually because even though I have 30+ pens, some really nice, I don't ever get to using them all :ohdear: I have mainly settled into using the Vac 700 and Lamy 2000 bold now that they write well, Pilot 74 with a music nib, Lamy Vista bold, an Eco stub, Pilot Falcon and a Waterman Carene and I have all of these other awesome pens inked up but not getting used...I feel like a horrible person. I teach guitar and bass lessons and I used to use a different pen for each student and a different pen each lesson to make it really clear where one assignment ended and another began but I have enough different inks between those pens that I have stopped using my other ones. And on top of that I have all this ink I am not using since I am using only those 7 pens I am using only 7 different inks. Pretty garbage of me tbh.

Kerbtree posted:

Holy poo poo I have never even considered that. Would the glue mess up a pen when I use the cartridge?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You don't need to use glue, just use a chopstick to rotate the cartridge stopper back in place.

Edit: Sorry, this is just for Pilot cartridges.

grack fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 24, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I bought a Sheaffer Prelude today. I'm not entirely sure why.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Just got my TWSBI eco and 580. Both are so fantastic. I previously used a few metro and a lamy safari and they are so smooth. definitely happy with my purchase.

Also J herbin poussière de lune purple ink is amazing

rio
Mar 20, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

Just got my TWSBI eco and 580. Both are so fantastic. I previously used a few metro and a lamy safari and they are so smooth. definitely happy with my purchase.

Also J herbin poussière de lune purple ink is amazing

Yeah poussiere de lune is almost my favorite Herbin ink. Emerald of Chivor is my favorite - it is not even the gold sparkles, it is just a really pleasing and complicated green that behaves really well. All of the Herbin inks I have tried do really well in bold nibs or stubs - they just look so good.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Chivor on Tomoe River is wizard ink I swear to god

There's no better ink.

That said, I do like Poussiere de Lune a lot - it's my favorite non-magical Herbin ink, and probably my favorite purple overall (other than Lamy Dark Lilac).

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Chivor on Tomoe River is wizard ink I swear to god

Try it with a Pilot Parallel 1.5mm.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Looking forward to marking a lot of Grade 9 assignments because it will use up a lot of ink (mostly R&L Solferino and De Atramentis Blackcurrent because it's all about the purple now) oh god what have I become

On the other hand I think the Vac 700 writes like a nail and I'm pissed about its broken cap so maybe there's hope for me yet in this black hole of a hobby

No wait I'm trying to justify buying more Safaris and Metros so I am truly lost aaaaaagh

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Someone asked if we have cats. We have cats!!!!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Kessel posted:

Someone asked if we have cats. We have cats!!!!

I could not justify a notebook that expensive since I don't really need any for the moment, but they really all look amazing. Just wondering. I know you first offered them at 60$ does that offer still exist or are they 90$ now?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

I could not justify a notebook that expensive since I don't really need any for the moment, but they really all look amazing. Just wondering. I know you first offered them at 60$ does that offer still exist or are they 90$ now?

Thank you! I'm still not final on the packaging and product cards. Until that happens I will honour the original discounted price of $89 SGD, which is about $61-62 USD. We've gotta start charging for shipping already, though, because as it turns out shipping internationally in a way that won't risk damage to our diaries (i.e. we can't put them on a boat) is a cost I can't absorb without cutting into our artisan pay.

The confusion arises because we're incorporated in Singapore and so all our prices are in Singapore dollars. I've added a note to our online checkout system that will hopefully make that a little clearer. You'll always be free to pay in your own currency at the appropriate exchange rate because we use Paypal Express Checkout.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Is there a mailing list I can get on for future products from your company? I am not able to justify $60-100 on a notebook because I am a bad notebook user, but I would be extremely okay with paying basically that amount for a reusable book cover and I don't want to miss my chance. :ohdear:

EDIT: also, since I'm here. I have gone through about a third of my blue-green ink samples and I still want to buy more ink samples. I really love ink samples.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

GenericGirlName posted:

Is there a mailing list I can get on for future products from your company? I am not able to justify $60-100 on a notebook because I am a bad notebook user, but I would be extremely okay with paying basically that amount for a reusable book cover and I don't want to miss my chance. :ohdear:

We're so far away from a reusable book cover it's not funny (early prototypes were so far off our quality mark I basically had to shelve it for now), but if you'd like to write me at daryl [at] musu.bi with your name and email address I will gladly add you.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I bought a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age. I've made a terrible mistake, because now I want big fat expensive Visconti pens, forever.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

I bought a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age. I've made a terrible mistake, because now I want big fat expensive Visconti pens, forever.

It's really nice, isn't it? The Dreamtouch nib is much better than that new tubular Chromium-whatever they're currently hawking.

I consider the Homo Sapiens full-size to be everything applicable to a modern Visconti - beautiful but fundamentally flawed. Its QC is terrible: if all the letters in VISCONTI on both sides of your clip are correctly painted you are already ahead of most owners. They didn't think it through entirely so the lava grip section absorbs ink when you fill the pen and then releases it onto your fingers when you get sweaty. You can't see how much ink is left in the pen and it's too heavy to guesstimate using your hand. And it's a power filler but has an ink capacity lower than most pistons. But when you actually write with it, you can almost forgive all the dumb flaws.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Kessel posted:

It's really nice, isn't it? The Dreamtouch nib is much better than that new tubular Chromium-whatever they're currently hawking.

I consider the Homo Sapiens full-size to be everything applicable to a modern Visconti - beautiful but fundamentally flawed. Its QC is terrible: if all the letters in VISCONTI on both sides of your clip are correctly painted you are already ahead of most owners. They didn't think it through entirely so the lava grip section absorbs ink when you fill the pen and then releases it onto your fingers when you get sweaty. You can't see how much ink is left in the pen and it's too heavy to guesstimate using your hand. And it's a power filler but has an ink capacity lower than most pistons. But when you actually write with it, you can almost forgive all the dumb flaws.

That's exactly how I feel about it, yeah. The letters on the clip look good, although there's a small flaw in the enamel on one side so I can see a scratch of bronze underneath. It certainly follows the trend that most luxury goods have, where there's a focus on one very specific aspect of form or function, as opposed to the totality of both.

For all of the dumb little things though, when I pull that pen out someone invariable says "oh wow", and when I put it on paper it writes beautifully.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Kessel posted:

You can't see how much ink is left in the pen and it's too heavy to guesstimate using your hand. And it's a power filler but has an ink capacity lower than most pistons.

This is why you buy the acryloid models like the London Fog. Not only do you see the ink, but they hold like twice as much ink as the Bronze Age, and have the double reservoir power fillers.

That said, I do love the "fine" nib on my Bronze Age, it's laughably broad for a fine, and gushes ink, but it's crazy smooth and lovely to write with.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If your Visconti wrote fine out of the box you're really far ahead of other Visconti owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

If your Visconti wrote fine out of the box you're really far ahead of other Visconti owners.

I feel like I've seen and experienced this problem with their steel nibbed pens (Rembrandt, Michelangelo, etc.), but haven't heard of it as much with the palladium nibs. Do they also have the same QC problems?