Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Open Marriage Night posted:

Remember when Morrison tried to make him a vegetarian.

I think that was Mark Waid in "Birthright". IIRC, Morrison gave him a dislike of violent video games or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I would totally buy that Kryptonians were vegetarians and that Superman would give it a shot to try and connect with his heritage, and because he is friend to all animals. But I also think it'd be in-character if he gave up because he really misses hamburgers.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Cyborg and Shazam playing Xbox in the Watchertower and Superman turns off the console and puts Mortal Kombat X on the high shelf

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"That is just vile! Would you like it if I did that to you, Captain Marvel?"
"Holy Moley, Superman, there's no way you'd do anything like that to me!"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think that was Mark Waid in "Birthright". IIRC, Morrison gave him a dislike of violent video games or something like that.

Morrison mentions it somewhere. Could have been an interview about All Star Superman. Either way, I can totally see Superman being a vegetarian coming from a discussion between Grant and Mark. You could probably sell tickets to listen to those two talk about the man of steel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who gave him that dumb ability to see "souls"? I think the vegetarian thing came out of that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like that was Waid in Birthright.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

Who gave him that dumb ability to see "souls"? I think the vegetarian thing came out of that.

Sounds like some silver-age mixed with some kind of hippie BS right here.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It was indeed Waid in Birthright, which is also indeed why he was a vegetarian in Birthright. Neither one stuck, because they were so goddamned stupid.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Superman is the mother figure that when she walks in on people playing GTA watches them shoot a hooker and then run her over and stands there with his hands over his mouth going "Oh my god." about it.

That's how I see it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

KittyEmpress posted:

Superman is the mother figure that when she walks in on people playing GTA watches them shoot a hooker and then run her over and stands there with his hands over his mouth going "Oh my god." about it.

That's how I see it.

I think you mean "Oh my gosh!"

VV "Great Rosh!"

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 24, 2017

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Retro Futurist posted:

I think you mean "Oh my gosh!"

They meant "Great Rao!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

That's how I see it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^Is that a comic strip or soap opera?

Lurdiak posted:

I would totally buy that Kryptonians were vegetarians and that Superman would give it a shot to try and connect with his heritage, and because he is friend to all animals. But I also think it'd be in-character if he gave up because he really misses hamburgers.

One of my favourite Superman covers:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

haitfais posted:

They meant "Great Rao!"

Great guns!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

^^Is that a comic strip or soap opera?

Yes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Superman doesn't actually need to eat, does he? He just does it to fit in?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Super man gonna get super fat

Jughead vs sups: who can down the most burgs

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

How much prep time does Jughead get?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Jughead does not require prep time. Devouring infinite hamburgers is his natural state.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

haitfais posted:

Jughead does not require prep time. Devouring infinite hamburgers is his natural state.

Jughead prepares for eating contests by eating more on the day of the contest, this is canon.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

prefect posted:

Superman doesn't actually need to eat, does he? He just does it to fit in?
Mostly true. He gets all the energy he needs and then some just from the sun; any calories from food are drops in a bucket. But energy is energy, so it's not technically useless. And he eats because he was raised human and likes the taste of food, rather than doing it just as an act to fit in.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The not funny comic book nerd answer for Batman is according to Julie Madison in Batman and the Monster Men, Bruce only eats steak and vegetables, never has dessert, and never drinks alcohol.

Canonically Dick Grayson loves breakfast cereal. And Stephanie Brown subsists entirely on waffles.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 24, 2017

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Mostly true. He gets all the energy he needs and then some just from the sun; any calories from food are drops in a bucket. But energy is energy, so it's not technically useless. And he eats because he was raised human and likes the taste of food, rather than doing it just as an act to fit in.

Given that he probably needed to eat as much as anyone else before his powers began to emerge when he was 15 or so, he's probably just accustomed to it. I can imagine he was pretty stoked when he realised he could gorge on all the junk food in the world and still look like an Olympian god.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CapnAndy posted:

This will never feel right to me. It makes him seem like a robot. An All-American farmboy who has no hunger at all. Weird.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Lobok posted:

This will never feel right to me. It makes him seem like a robot. An All-American farmboy who has no hunger at all. Weird.
Think about it like this. Y'know how even though you're not really hungry and it's not like it's actually going to do anything to make you less hungry later, you'll still eat a snack? Eating the snack is its own reward. Superman is like that, but for everything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

He also is impervious to the elements so he doesn't really need shelter, either. And he doesn't really age, depending on the continuity. His experience is pretty removed from a human's, no matter how he pretends.

Maybe Lex has a point...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He still feels temperature differences.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CapnAndy posted:

Think about it like this. Y'know how even though you're not really hungry and it's not like it's actually going to do anything to make you less hungry later, you'll still eat a snack? Eating the snack is its own reward. Superman is like that, but for everything.

I get that food tastes good and that people get bungry but the sensations of being actually hungry and sating that hunger are basic human experiences that he doesn't have (anymore? I don't know his childhood). That seems more alien than shooting smaller versions of himself out of his fingers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

He still feels temperature differences.

He feels 'em, sure, but he could probably sleep outdoors at the south pole.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I think it's actually pretty close to the heart of Superman to understand that he absolutely could sleep outdoors in the South Pole and never eat anything and he'd be just fine -- but he'd never do that, and if he was forced into it he'd feel absolutely miserable. Superman's body is Kryptonian, but he's human at heart.

One of the truest Superman moments I ever saw was actually in Birthright, when he's writing a letter home. As he writes the letter he refers to humans as "we", then pauses, looks at it, erases it, and writes "you". That moment where he reflexively identifies as a human and has to stop and remind himself that he's technically not? That's Superman.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Wheat Loaf posted:

And Waid was playing off of stuff Elliot Maggin did in his novels in the '70s.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

I think it's actually pretty close to the heart of Superman to understand that he absolutely could sleep outdoors in the South Pole and never eat anything and he'd be just fine -- but he'd never do that, and if he was forced into it he'd feel absolutely miserable. Superman's body is Kryptonian, but he's human at heart.

One of the truest Superman moments I ever saw was actually in Birthright, when he's writing a letter home. As he writes the letter he refers to humans as "we", then pauses, looks at it, erases it, and writes "you". That moment where he reflexively identifies as a human and has to stop and remind himself that he's technically not? That's Superman.

Nailed it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

purple death ray posted:

Bruce only eats steak and vegetables, never has dessert, and never drinks alcohol.

Goddammit, this is exactly why I hate Batman.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I read Birthright and I feel like I read a complety differant book, dont remember any of that. Is it the one where the first act is in Africa?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

purple death ray posted:

The not funny comic book nerd answer for Batman is according to Julie Madison in Batman and the Monster Men, Bruce only eats steak and vegetables, never has dessert, and never drinks alcohol.

This was in one of the animated shows / movies too. A lady who was going out with him talking about how he eats like an athlete. Steak, potato, no dessert. I thought it was a really great moment that speaks to the broader character. Like, of course he would have to do that. He's not an alien, he doesn't have powers, he's a person. To stay fit he needs to eat like that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I read Birthright and I feel like I read a complety differant book, dont remember any of that. Is it the one where the first act is in Africa?
Yes and that's also when the stupid soul-vision and vegetarianism are, and when he writes the letter home.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I thought the souls vision thing was alright

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

Goddammit, this is exactly why I hate Batman.

With a diet like that, sounds like Batman hates Batman too. Guy needs to have a piece of cake every once in a while, I think the 10th time you save the city should earn you a cheat day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Does he actually see their soul, or is it his various visions seeing body heat and bioelectricity? Birthright is probably the only version of his origin I haven't read. I still need to do my review of all of them one day. That is one origin story I never get tired of.

We should do a run down of all the things Batman eats. In Broken City, he grills a steak, and talks about how it's relaxing, while the detective he's talking to says grilling a steak is stressful trying to make it perfect. Also, we all went nuts a couple issues ago about Bruce eating a burger with a fork and knife. According to the Annual, Ace is not dinner.