Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Dr McNinja is literature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Dr McNinja is literature

You're correct, I am literature.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Just started reading At Swim-Two-Birds. This poo poo is hilarious and I have no idea what is happening.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

thehoodie posted:

Just started reading At Swim-Two-Birds. This poo poo is hilarious and I have no idea what is happening.

You have no idea what you're in for. Flann O'Brien is the greatest writer in the English language and also the funniest.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Read through my copy of Aquarium in two reading sessions.

Really great book, one of the best of the year. Still love my hardcover copy: great paper and ink quality, great illustrations.

Vann clan, yadda yadda...

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I don't know if I want to read After the Quake or Against the Day next. People seem to like Against the Day, but I've never heard people talk much about After the Quake on TBB.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Solitair posted:

I don't know if I want to read After the Quake or Against the Day next. People seem to like Against the Day, but I've never heard people talk much about After the Quake on TBB.

I tend to like Murakami's short stories better than his long form stuff, because you can get to the quirky magic realist core idea and then the story is over before it gets stale or he talks about cooking pasta while listening to the Beatles or some weird ear fetish. Super-Frog Saves Tokyo is a really good story in that collection.

Pynchon is without a doubt the better writer though.

Those are two pretty drastically different books tho, it depends what you in the mood for: a super-dense 1000 page novel or a few light short stories. I think I would personally do Quake first just because it is a small short story collection you can read in a few days before launching into Day.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
We are finally gonna find Nobel winner on Thursday :toot:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Maybe this year those Swedish nerds will see the light and give it to my favourite author

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
supposedly the bookie odds have dropped drastically on Ngugi and DeLillo, which in previous years at this stage usually indicated a leak. there might've been a draw between them in the previous voting round or something, which is why they postponed the announcement, who knows.

i just hope it's not delillo, tbh. i thought white noise boring, the kind of thing that would disappear without a trace in the us had it been translated from german or w/e

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
What's a good copy of Dr.Faustus to pick up? Looking for plenty of context and annotation. I know next to nothing about old English or the era.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Xeom posted:

What's a good copy of Dr.Faustus to pick up? Looking for plenty of context and annotation. I know next to nothing about old English or the era.

fautus is in modern, albeit elizabethan, english. the Signet edition is good and cheap. norton critical edition is better but will have too much critical information if you're coming at this for non-academic purposes.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 11, 2016

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
So I've been reading books with the theme (personal selection wise) of writings that have had an actual notable impact on the world but I'm running low on the list I made up for myself and am wondering if anyone here can offer up some suggestions. I do mean actually made a notable impact, as a singular work, not just added to a cultural lexicon or inspired future writings (for example, Shakespeare's works,1984 or Moby Dick). Also not including works which were critical to our understanding of history and shaped future works, but themselves didn't really offer much beyond a philosophical view (such as the Iliad and Odyssey). Also excluding the major religious texts (Bible, Qu'ran, Bhagavad Gita, etc...). What I've read or still have yet to read so far:

The Prince
Wealth of Nations
On War
Communist Manifesto
The Rights of Man
Republic
Origin of Species

I probably also need to add The Meaning of Relativity, Elements, Principia Mathematica, and the Canon of Medicine to that list but I will probably not even attempt those.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

nessin posted:

I do mean actually made a notable impact, as a singular work, not just added to a cultural lexicon or inspired future writings (for example, Shakespeare's works,1984 or Moby Dick). Also not including works which were critical to our understanding of history and shaped future works, but themselves didn't really offer much beyond a philosophical view (such as the Iliad and Odyssey). Also excluding the major religious texts (Bible, Qu'ran, Bhagavad Gita, etc...).

lol

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
So you're just going to read monumental philosophic treatises and scientific papers? Have a wild fuckin time bud. Everything you excluded would tell far more about humans and how we've evolved over literally reading the origin of species and it would be way, way more enjoyable.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
This seems more your speed, nessin

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Like some sort of reverse Harold Bloom...

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Actually, I've changed my mind. I think his list is great. I would only change one thing: he should read Republic first so Socrates can be first in a 2400-year-long line to mock him for his moronic ideas about the value of fiction.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Zesty Mordant posted:

So you're just going to read monumental philosophic treatises and scientific papers? Have a wild fuckin time bud. Everything you excluded would tell far more about humans and how we've evolved over literally reading the origin of species and it would be way, way more enjoyable.

I've read a lot of those, including every book (except Shakespeare, I've only read a couple of his plays) I mentioned in the parans of my original post. I've explicitly avoided, in the past, most of the books I listed for just the reason you identified which is the whole point of why I'm reading them now.

nessin fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 11, 2016

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
it's cool you're taking this up dude, but maybe the lit thread was not the best place to ask about it, ya know

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

nessin posted:

So I've been reading books with the theme (personal selection wise) of writings that have had an actual notable impact on the world but I'm running low on the list I made up for myself and am wondering if anyone here can offer up some suggestions. I do mean actually made a notable impact, as a singular work, not just added to a cultural lexicon or inspired future writings (for example, Shakespeare's works,1984 or Moby Dick). Also not including works which were critical to our understanding of history and shaped future works, but themselves didn't really offer much beyond a philosophical view (such as the Iliad and Odyssey). Also excluding the major religious texts (Bible, Qu'ran, Bhagavad Gita, etc...). What I've read or still have yet to read so far:

The Prince
Wealth of Nations
On War
Communist Manifesto
The Rights of Man
Republic
Origin of Species

I probably also need to add The Meaning of Relativity, Elements, Principia Mathematica, and the Canon of Medicine to that list but I will probably not even attempt those.

Why would you consider Principia Mathematica and not On Formally Undecidable Propositions? Also the line you're drawing is arbitrary and stupid, as are you.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

nessin posted:

The Prince
Wealth of Nations
On War
Communist Manifesto
The Rights of Man
Republic
Origin of Species

Atlas Shrugged.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Read Erasmus' facing-page translation of the New Testament, a textbook on structural mechanics from 1900, The Oxford English Dictionary, Schoenberg's Fundamentals of Musical Composition and transcripts of the Putney debates.

The only reason I can think of for embarking on such a quest is some kind of strong anxiety that you're not reading stuff that's useful enough? The problem is you can be infinitely broad in your reading, but that's so much less useful for the world around you than reading deeply in one place.

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

nessin posted:

I've read a lot of those, including every book (except Shakespeare, I've only read a couple of his plays) I mentioned in the parans of my original post. I've explicitly avoided, in the past, most of the books I listed for just the reason you identified which is the whole point of why I'm reading them now.

read the following:

-The Art of Living
-Meditations
-some poo poo about Buddhism
-Ethics
-something explicit about determinism (Schopenhauer?)
-Self-Reliance
-Walden
-Sermon on the Mount

then when you tire of this preposterous undertaking, at least you'll have some fun ideas to mull over as well as context for good books

hog fat fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 11, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
After a few days of reflection, Aquarium has been one of the best books of the year for me. I've already loaned my copy out.

My biggest issue is I can't really find a good follow-up to it now. I'm starting Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and will start Capote's In Cold Blood, but nothing's really motivating me after Vann, but I don't want to rush into another one of his books.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nessin posted:

The Prince
Wealth of Nations
On War
Communist Manifesto
The Rights of Man
Republic
Origin of Species

I mean, if you're doing something like this, why not pick an absurd but finite goal, like all of the Harvard Classics or some poo poo?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

After a few days of reflection, Aquarium has been one of the best books of the year for me. I've already loaned my copy out.

My biggest issue is I can't really find a good follow-up to it now. I'm starting Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and will start Capote's In Cold Blood, but nothing's really motivating me after Vann, but I don't want to rush into another one of his books.

Try The Sweet Hereafter by Russell Banks. Its the only book that competes with Aquarium for me and deals with a similar theme of people dealing with exceptional tragedy.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

nessin posted:

The Prince
Wealth of Nations
On War
Communist Manifesto
The Rights of Man
Republic
Origin of Species

This is a cool idea - it's nice to go back and read some of the original works and try to puzzle through why they changed the world like they did. Although I love literature sometimes it is nice to read something else. It seems that you have basically boxed yourself into scientific or proto-scientific readings. Unfortunately, what quickly happens is that you end up reading a lot of early papers or treatises that are difficult to read not because of the underlying concepts but because a lot of the notation and understanding has advanced since that time that puzzling through things is not as rewarding as you might think. For instance, reading Leibnitz might give you insight into Calculus but you'd be reading translated German with non-standard formulations.

Some things that might fall into your category are general history of science topics - you can even do something like a Great Course to get an overview and then pick out things you like hearing about from there.

Aristotle - if you want to know what people believed until the scientific age
Galen's work - set medicine back centuries
Ptolemy - Almagest, etc. was the standard astronomical trestise for centuries
Early work by Harvey, etc. de mortu Cordis showing the first break with Galen
Galileo - On Motion, etc.- break with Ptolemy on physics

You can generally just read the scientific papers for anything you want from the second half of the 19th century or so and see ultraviolet catastrophe, the photoelectric effect, etc. usher in Einstein, etc. At some point you will outstrip your knowledge/understanding of a scientific topic and it will be much more high yield to learn the concepts elsewhere before returning to the original text. I find it fascinating to go back through early New England Journal of Medicine editions and find the first papers on subjects such as catheterization, AIDS, etc.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

J_RBG posted:

The only reason I can think of for embarking on such a quest is some kind of strong anxiety that you're not reading stuff that's useful enough? The problem is you can be infinitely broad in your reading, but that's so much less useful for the world around you than reading deeply in one place.

I decided to do something similar when I was 19. It was dumb then, too.

e: galen sucks

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 11, 2016

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
There's a book called How To Read A Book and it contains the full list of Books You Should Read

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

the_homemaster posted:

There's a book called How To Read A Book and it contains the full list of Books You Should Read

who let you back in here

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you want to do something probably quite dumb assuming you're not a serious scholar and is probably doable and actually entertaining then just read all of Harold Bloom's 'Western Canon'

http://www.openculture.com/2014/01/harold-bloom-creates-a-massive-list-of-works-in-the-western-canon.html

Read all that, and congratulations you're now very learned.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

This is a cool idea
Not really

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
You guys convinced me to get Aquarium

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I did no such thing

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

you're going to be sad for a minimum of 48 hours

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

chernobyl kinsman posted:

you're going to be sad for a minimum of 48 hours

I'm excited

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Rush Limbo posted:

If you want to do something probably quite dumb assuming you're not a serious scholar and is probably doable and actually entertaining then just read all of Harold Bloom's 'Western Canon'

http://www.openculture.com/2014/01/harold-bloom-creates-a-massive-list-of-works-in-the-western-canon.html

Read all that, and congratulations you're now very learned.

The linked list misspells "Flann O'Brien" and recommends The Dalkey Archive over At-Swim-Two-Birds. TRASH! FILTH! OBSCENITY!

e: and no Boethius! Harold Bloom's existence is an offense to taste and decency!

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 12, 2016

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

That's not the full list. I'm almost certain the full one has At Swim-Two-Birds on it. I was going to read it from the start until I inevitably got bored as a joke for the Reading Challenge thread and I read the Iliad and Odyssey and then stopped.

The bit of the book that isn't a big stupid list is really good, and people should read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Guy A. Person posted:

I tend to like Murakami's short stories better than his long form stuff, because you can get to the quirky magic realist core idea and then the story is over before it gets stale or he talks about cooking pasta while listening to the Beatles or some weird ear fetish. Super-Frog Saves Tokyo is a really good story in that collection.

Pynchon is without a doubt the better writer though.

Those are two pretty drastically different books tho, it depends what you in the mood for: a super-dense 1000 page novel or a few light short stories. I think I would personally do Quake first just because it is a small short story collection you can read in a few days before launching into Day.

Against the Day it is. I'm going with the writer I know, plus I already have a serviceable book of short stories I want to get through (The Girl with the Flammable Skirt). I'll let you know how the Pynchon one was when I'm done with it (a month if I'm lucky).