Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Force touch seems like it will resolve all of the things I hate about phone based gaming. For example, being able to use movement buttons but pressing down slightly harder to jump will be supremely easier and better than having other buttons for jumping or attacks.

I don't really play many games on the phone anyway, but that is the kind of thing that will make force touch worth it in my estimation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Michael Scott posted:

Having said that, it's hard to see why you would choose to get a 5S instead of a 6, even given the cost savings, particularly as someone who wants to keep their phone a long while.

Not only is the 5S basically the same speed as the 6, it's also not novelty-giganto sized and doesn't have weird bands or a camera wart...

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Since you're on Sprint with Ting, I'd eliminate the 5 completely and try and find a 5c or 5s. That generation got more LTE bands than the 5, including LTE band 26 (850mHz) which offers a wider coverage area and better building penetration. The 5 only had band 25 (1900mHz). I immediately noticed a huge improvement in coverage when I upgraded from a 5 to a 6 (which is Sprint Spark tri-band with 850, 1900, and 2600). My 6 is always connected to LTE without falling back to 3G because it can bounce between the higher and lower LTE bands. My 5 would constantly fall back to 3G and take a few minutes to reconnect to LTE because the polling interval is much higher on iPhones than Android phones, at least on Sprint.

The 5c and 5s are also fully SIM-unlockable by Sprint, whereas the 5 is only foreign SIM-unlockable.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I gave up on waiting for the 6S in May, after being ready to buy a 6 since launch but wanting a 32GB base model and to save $100. I bought it on AT&T Next 18, so that way if the 7 is really something amazing I can pay off the remainder, sell the 6, and start over on a 7.

But I'm pretty happy with this thing and the word that the 6S is going to be 16GB again only makes me wish I had gotten in earlier. Seeing the 4S get another upgrade after five years (and three models) of Android is :monocle:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Is there a way to remove certain news outlets from the iOS 9 beta spotlight search? It's got a terrible local tabloid which I'd really like to avoid seeing while searching. Barring that, is there a way to remove news from spotlight altogether?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Not only is the 5S basically the same speed as the 6, it's also not novelty-giganto sized and doesn't have weird bands or a camera wart...

The 5S is baby-sized for children. Grow up.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hey, if at all possible could we have another phone size slap fight for the next, oh, say, 3 pages? Those are always really productive. Thanks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This wouldn't be a problem if people would just stop having wrong opinions.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Michael Scott posted:

Pogue specifically says that you won't need to unlock the phone before using Pay. In iOS 8 you don't currently have to "unlock" it traditionally but you do need a Touch ID or Passcode verification after bringing up Pay by touching the phone to a NFC point of sale device. I'm wondering how this could possibly be eliminated in iOS9, because it seems ridiculously non-secure to get rid of that verification.

Don't know if their was ever cleared up. Progue's wording was bad. You don't have to unlock your phone to get to loyalty cards. Now you double tap home and it brings up your entire wallet then you scan your fingerprint as normal (as someone else said). Nothing has changed in terms of level of security. They just made it easier to use non-payment cards.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

milkaxor posted:

Don't know if their was ever cleared up. Progue's wording was bad. You don't have to unlock your phone to get to loyalty cards. Now you double tap home and it brings up your entire wallet then you scan your fingerprint as normal (as someone else said). Nothing has changed in terms of level of security. They just made it easier to use non-payment cards.

I haven't tried it yet but that seems like it should also make it easier to select which credit card you intend to use, rather than just relying on whatever the default is.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

kitten smoothie posted:

I haven't tried it yet but that seems like it should also make it easier to select which credit card you intend to use, rather than just relying on whatever the default is.

You can easily select a different card with the current system. When the default comes up just tap on the stack of cards at the bottom, which forces you to select which card you want then fingerprint as normal. I have 4 cards on my phone and 2 of which are also on my watch (I get a lot of rewards points) and it is great.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ah, learn something new. I've usually always paid in one swift gesture with my thumb on the button before putting it up to the reader, so I've never noticed you could switch the cards before actually authenticating.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
My iPhone 6 seems to have a bad charging port - I've tried plugging it into three different cords but it's hard to get a connection. Generally speaking what's gonna happen if I bring it into a Verizon store? Will they only replace it when it's gone completely bad, or will they recognize that this is a pain and give me a new phone? Edit: or fix it, of course.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 11, 2015

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

jackpot posted:

My iPhone 6 seems to have a bad charging port - I've tried plugging it into three different cords but it's hard to get a connection. Generally speaking what's gonna happen if I bring it into a Verizon store? Will they only replace it when it's gone completely bad, or will they recognize that this is a pain and give me a new phone? Edit: or fix it, of course.

Go to an Apple Store, not your carrier.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

eddiewalker posted:

Go to an Apple Store, not your carrier.

This and also it's probably lint in the port if it's a 6- they should be able to clean it out if you can't. I've had it happen before.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

jackpot posted:

My iPhone 6 seems to have a bad charging port - I've tried plugging it into three different cords but it's hard to get a connection.
Lint.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Excellent, thanks. I'll dig up a toothpick and some compressed air, if I have any.

Edit: oh my god, so much lint. So much.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 12, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My Epson printer always worked fine with Android, but while it is a wi-fi printer it wasn't designed with Apple's proprietary Airprint bullshit.

Is there a good middleman app or something? I do have a Windows machine running 24/7, or maybe there's an iOS app that I can share a document to and have it printed?

EDIT: While we're at it, are there any strong opinions regarding File Explorer, FileBrowser, Documents, and GoodReader? I bought File Explorer, bought/refunded FileBrowser because I thought it could stream MKVs from NAS a Chromecast (turns out that's what Allcast/DLNA is for) and it didn't bowl me over. I have Documents and having an entire button at the bottom of the screen for selling add-ons didn't appeal to me, and I've never tried GoodReader before.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 12, 2015

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I've been using Collobos' Presto for a few years now:

http://www.collobos.com/

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Does the one year AppleCare cover replacement battery if the battery life of yours has diminished noticeably?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Craptacular! posted:

My Epson printer always worked fine with Android, but while it is a wi-fi printer it wasn't designed with Apple's proprietary Airprint bullshit.

Is there a good middleman app or something? I do have a Windows machine running 24/7, or maybe there's an iOS app that I can share a document to and have it printed?

EDIT: While we're at it, are there any strong opinions regarding File Explorer, FileBrowser, Documents, and GoodReader? I bought File Explorer, bought/refunded FileBrowser because I thought it could stream MKVs from NAS a Chromecast (turns out that's what Allcast/DLNA is for) and it didn't bowl me over. I have Documents and having an entire button at the bottom of the screen for selling add-ons didn't appeal to me, and I've never tried GoodReader before.

FWIW, until we went full wireless, my family did well with a Raspberry Pi running avahi and CUPS.

There are also lightweight daemons that run on Windows where it can share your printers over the AirPrint protocol.

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Does the one year AppleCare cover replacement battery if the battery life of yours has diminished noticeably?

Yes.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ragnarok the Red posted:

They can look at the battery stays with their diagnostic tool and if it meets some criteria they'll replace it.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Craptacular! posted:

A cheap pogoplug from ebay or on sale, running arch linux arm. Took me maybe 30m to set up, but that depends on your knowledge level. Can also do lots of other interesting stuff since it is basically a mini computer sitting on your network.

pogoplugs can be had for as low as $5 shipped if you can wait for a deal (that's what i paid for my v4)

http://blog.qnology.com/2013/03/tutorial-pogoplug-e02-with-arch-linux.html

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Apologies if I've missed this in the thread, but I just had to buy a new iPhone 6 device due to the severely cracked display, and all my apps seem to run slow and jittery. Im guessing I got a lovely refurbish?

Do I have a case to replace the handset? Its super noticeable and annoying.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Did you restore from an iCloud backup? It could still be grabbing poo poo from that. Give it a day. If it's still poo poo, wipe and DO NOT restore from a backup.. If it's still messed up take it back and get another one.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone have an actually free itunes backup browser suggestion?
Wifes iphone wasnt synced to icloud and has now taken a poo poo the old iphone we are using won't restore the backup because its too old.

We aren't going Apple with the replacement so waiting for the new phone to arrive won't change the backup situation.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

Does anyone have an actually free itunes backup browser suggestion?
Wifes iphone wasnt synced to icloud and has now taken a poo poo the old iphone we are using won't restore the backup because its too old.

We aren't going Apple with the replacement so waiting for the new phone to arrive won't change the backup situation.

You won't get all the info, but you can get contacts from iCloud.com which is usually enough to get someone to hold out while waiting for a replacement phone.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It wasnt backed up to icloud just locally.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Iexplorer for when you're desperate enough to pay.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I may do that although I did find one yesterday that gave me all of the contacts in vcards I think. If anything it gave me moat of them.

I may still buy some recovery software for the backup file.
Option1 pay for software ($40 or less)
Option2: pay for repair ($120)to be able to use phone then upgrade to note 4 in a week.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 13, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
By far the best feature of the iOS 9 beta:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apple needs to do more testing outside of their office. If the network connection is flaky, then "shuffle all" should only play stuff that is already downloaded, not freeze up the music app or sit there silently with an endlessly-spinning progress wheel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Folders work in iOS 8 too, but I'm not sure if you can create them on iOS 8 (they show up if you created them on OSX).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The improvement I am the most excited for in iOS 9 was the Notes app. That was until I saw it is still using that ugly rear end icon. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

Folders work in iOS 8 too, but I'm not sure if you can create them on iOS 8 (they show up if you created them on OSX).
It's worked for years now if you created them on OSX, but I use Windows so folders were never an option because Apple have only just learned to add the button onto the phone app.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

nate fisher posted:

The improvement I am the most excited for in iOS 9 was the Notes app. That was until I saw it is still using that ugly rear end icon. Please tell me I'm wrong.

I'm sorry the look of the icon prevents you from using the new features of the app itself, that must be very debilitating.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is a thread where people cry every time Apple adds a new default app that they just shove in the folder with all the other ones.

SPEAKING OF, get ready for at least one more of those.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
This is likely Beta jank but if you're in a Non-US country the news app doesn't install, which is fine except you still get news popping up in search and tapping stories does nothing :downs:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

carry on then posted:

I'm sorry the look of the icon prevents you from using the new features of the app itself, that must be very debilitating.

Yep that is exactly what I said, and what you should get out of my post. God help someone if they want their icons aesthetically pleasing. The icon does look better (was that update iOS 7 or 8, I can't remember now), but I still don't like it. To let you know (so you don't worry about me debilitated) I will give the new Notes a fair chance. If I don't find it likable enough there are 3rd party apps that do a nice job of replacing the Notes app.

Endless Mike posted:

This is a thread where people cry every time Apple adds a new default app that they just shove in the folder with all the other ones.

SPEAKING OF, get ready for at least one more of those.

Putting a default app in a folder should never be a big deal (what Apple Watch app?). It is only when they don't allow you to put it a folder (see Newsstand on launch).

That said I hope this News app turns out useful. I liked what I saw from the demo.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

robodex posted:

This is likely Beta jank but if you're in a Non-US country the news app doesn't install, which is fine except you still get news popping up in search and tapping stories does nothing :downs:

Switch the region to US and reboot - you should have the News app then. I'm not sure but I think you couldn't tap those stories even with the app active. File it as a bug.