Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Lesley Gore RIP.

Holy poo poo, I love this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Guardian:

"Brian Adcock on the party leaders' TV debates – The Conservatives have signalled that David Cameron is willing to take part in televised leaders’ debates following the publication of revised plans from broadcasters" Also Teletubbies creator 'sad' about show's remake

Telegraph:

Mars One shortlist: five Britons among 100 would-be astronauts

So do these guys at the Guardian/Telegraph ever actually support anyone or do they just deliver tepid burns to the whole pack? Rowson's nastiness at least seems to come from a genuine place of disgust (although his disdain for some of the other candidates is nothing compared to his utter loathing of Cameron), and Bell seems a little more thoughtful (though I can't figure out what the hell he's trying to say half the time), but some of these other guys are basically just going "peepee doodoo all politicians are children." As much as I loathe the hyperpartisan "my side right or wrong misunderstood," approach that pervades so many politoons, the spineless sort of "moderate" aloofness found in many mainstream publications isn't much better. I don't mind people being in the political middle (though in practice such people are often catspaws for extremeists), and I don't mind someone being an "equal opportunity offender," but the utter toothlessness of so many of these cartoons really gets to me.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Duckbag posted:

So do these guys at the Guardian/Telegraph ever actually support anyone or do they just deliver tepid burns to the whole pack? Rowson's nastiness at least seems to come from a genuine place of disgust (although his disdain for some of the other candidates is nothing compared to his utter loathing of Cameron), and Bell seems a little more thoughtful (though I can't figure out what the hell he's trying to say half the time), but some of these other guys are basically just going "peepee doodoo all politicians are children." As much as I loathe the hyperpartisan "my side right or wrong misunderstood," approach that pervades so many politoons, the spineless sort of "moderate" aloofness found in many mainstream publications isn't much better. I don't mind people being in the political middle (though in practice such people are often catspaws for extremeists), and I don't mind someone being an "equal opportunity offender," but the utter toothlessness of so many of these cartoons really gets to me.

Literally everyone in the 'running' for prime minister is an absolute twat.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

When reaching that conclusion, the State Department uses the work of many, many talented policy experts who have many, many years of experience at the ready.

Who the gently caress are you, Michael Ramirez?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Because as we know extremism never comes from poverty.

Ramirez is really angry at discussion of the idea that there could possibly be any reason for terrorism apart from "Islam is a Lovecraftian death cult"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

loquacius posted:

sorry I discussed a political cartoon :(

thank you for your addition of to the thread, it has definitely aided discussion.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

BBJoey posted:

thank you for your addition of to the thread, it has definitely aided discussion.

This recursive disliking is why I read SA thank you.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Afraid of Audio posted:

Fuk you.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Venom Snake posted:

Because as we know extremism never comes from poverty.

Gotta wonder about neoliberalism, though. And objectivism.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
WWII Cartoon dump

:godwinning:

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Nckdictator posted:

WWII Cartoon dump

:godwinning:

This one is beautiful.

Arthur Crackpot fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 18, 2015

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Arthur Crackpot posted:

This one is beautiful.

It's almost identical to a shot from a 1940's Disney cartoon Education for Death

http://youtu.be/l14WDZCnz-w?t=9m1s

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nckdictator posted:

It's almost identical to a shot from a 1940's Disney cartoon Education for Death

http://youtu.be/l14WDZCnz-w?t=9m1s
This one weirds me out because were people who see this supposed to feel sorry for German soldiers, or kill them?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Samurai Sanders posted:

This one weirds me out because were people who see this supposed to feel sorry for German soldiers, or kill them?

Yeah, the whole thing is incredibly nuanced for wartime propaganda (and some of the shots in it do a amazing job at showing the overbearing aspect of the Nazi state.)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BBJoey posted:

Yeah if discussing what things we don't like about political cartoons is off-limits there's not gonna be a whole lot to this thread

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
:siren: Imgur made it so you can view your entire archive of uploaded images, not just the first four pages. :siren:

Of the examples of bad Obama caricatures, don't forget Ogrebama:

I don't have the original cartoon, he looks horrifying and is holding a battery cell so I put him in Silent Hill.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

loquacius posted:

Yeah if discussing what things we don't like about political cartoons is off-limits there's not gonna be a whole lot to this thread

If the robots do ever rebel, it will be from reading your posts

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

loquacius posted:

Basically as a person who did a lot of robotics work in college it really annoys me when people who have no idea what they're talking about go "robot revolution any day now amirite :haw:" every time there's an advance of any kind in the field

Personally I blame James Cameron.

Let's be honest though, I'm pretty sure at least 75% of the people who study robotics do so because Terminator 2 is the best movie of all times.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

WitchFetish posted:

Let's be honest though, I'm pretty sure at least 75% of the people who study robotics do so because Terminator 2 is the best movie of all times.

I kinda wanna study robotics because people seem to care more for machines than other people.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

SporkOfTruth posted:

How did you not flip out over the insane yet still-taken-seriously rantings of Kurzweil or 99% of the commercial robotics industry then? The people privately funding this kind of work are taken by the idea of a benevolent Skynet.

Yeah a guy who predicts things with far better accuracy than chance would allow is clearly insane, and the people reflexively assuming a major motion picture has an accurate prediction of how AI would turn out are the sensible ones. :hurr:

Oh gently caress off Times, the Church is just about the only major force in the UK still adhering to such radical notions as "the poor don't deserve to starve and workers do deserve a living wage" and "sufficient funding for disabled and elderly care is essential" and "don't carve up the NHS and sell it to your mates, Dave", they're hardly demanding an Inquisition or a return of the Church's temporal loving powers.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

Yeah, the whole thing is incredibly nuanced for wartime propaganda (and some of the shots in it do a amazing job at showing the overbearing aspect of the Nazi state.)

It's almost like someone with a German name like Walt might want to not make a film that makes it seem like the whole of the German people were sub-human scum.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Guys, come on. It's not like an enormous malevolent AI could gently caress up the world any worse than we've already done.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
It's not the enormous malevolent AI that'll gently caress us, it's the lack of testing that the EMAI will receive before it's shipped.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If an evil AI fucks us it will just be us loving us, since it's something we made. Otherizing evil AIs like that just dodges the issue.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 18, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Way to miss the obvious "headhunting" and "get a head" jokes, Ramirez!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Zetsubou-san posted:

It's not the enormous malevolent AI that'll gently caress us, it's the lack of testing that the EMAI will receive before it's shipped.
"What the hell do you mean its cooling system will poo poo the bed if it runs for more than 48 straight hours?!"
"Well they decided to go with the cheaper models from that Chinese company. If it overheats, maybe some of the circuitry will weld, who the hell cares?"
"The loving thing was never designed to have to be turned off! God only knows what'll happen if we have to shut the loving thing down every two days."
"We could just replace the fans while it's still on."
"They're the sizes of loving buses and they run the air for the whole complex too. We put the drat thing three miles underground, billions in construction."
"I knew we should've built it in Switzerland like the collider. Or the Arctic. Keep the thing nice and cold for free."
"Again with the collider...we built this fucker in two years! Only two! Ten years for a loving giant railgun, two for a god machine."
"Well it kinda shows, doesn't it? Hell, the CEO still wants the thing painted navy blue and nobody's been able to talk him out of that."

Later when it enslaves the world, the first thing it does is have its human slaves paint it periwinkle, not navy.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Have some Arthur Szyk works. (posting both here and the pictures thread since some of these are ,strictly speaking, not pol toons.)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Nero was actually away when the Great Fire of AD 64 happened and immediately began a relief effort once the fire started to die down.

And then he executed a bunch of Christians in various cruel ways.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

When I think student loan debt, I think middle-aged professional who owns a home and has a receding hairline. Nailed it Tinsley.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

I agree, getting a college education should be more affordable

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Apparently it costs nothing to apprentice a trade?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I look forward to Tinsley's all-plumber, all-electrician economy

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
What even is the attempted message?

"Higher education is far too expensive and things cost money"?

":argh: working class people!"?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Smudgie Buggler posted:

People should do something useful with their lives and not get lovely university degrees.

Tinsley hates the education system.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
This is going to spawn a few comics where this liberal human being college educated person fails to do basic "manly tasks" while he pathetically whines about his degree.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

"How about you get a REAL loving JOB you loving millennial trash? 'Oooh, look at me, I majored in aaaart! I majored in marine biology~! I'm a woman's studies major 'cuz there's so much to study!' loving pathetic. And they all think they can just pay off their student loans forever because Obama subsidized them or whatever. I remember my student loans. I had to pay 'em back in three years or a man named Miguel would break my wrists with a socket wrench. Plumbing's a real job. Cheap to learn too. All you gotta pay for is long shirts and a good pair of kneepads. My cousin's kid is three months outta electrician school and he's already wiring mansions for a hundred bucks a room and he uses this cheap chintzy copper wire from China. That's a real man's job. Not "creative writing", like your dumb gently caress brother studied. How the hell're you gonna get paid knowing poo poo about dolphins? Or geology? Or queer theory? Why the hell do you gotta go to college to know poo poo about queers. *slams a fifth of Jack* I remember when my old man worked in a tuna factory after he came back from Korea. There was a man who knew how to work."
\
:tinsley:

(true story: I got a degree in Creative Writing. Everything else here is false/did not happen to me or mine.)

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 18, 2015

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Uppity college elitists deserve their crippling debt for thinking they're too good to learn a trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

gently caress he's anti-intellectual. It's actually startling.

• Locked thread