Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Well, I got out of one war with the Mamluks as the Knights intact because they refused to send more than 5k men to siege my only province. The trouble is that with the years that I had to wait before peacing out Castille and Portugal snapped up the only provinces in my colonial range, and now everyone in the region has a claim on me and no one else wants to ally up with me. Going to try a save from 20 years back and see if I can avoid that war but drat is this a restart game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
What's your strat here? I love exodus runs, the more improbable the better, but I'm generally have no idea how to go about the really crazy exoduses (exodi?) without some sort of guide.

Ally with, who, Venice? What's the goal of the Mamluk war?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Sounds like he got invaded while farting around on Rhodes waiting for Diplo 7.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Jazerus posted:

Make sure you take all of Egypt before the Ottomans get all of the Levant or they will get a mission and claims on it. You need a Mediterranean coast; then ally Austria and Poland. Fortify the depths of Egypt and Nubia heavily. Eventually, the Ottomans will declare on you (or one of your allies might declare on the Ottomans), let their huge armies come into your super-wastelands and die by the thousands while your allies beat them up west of the Bosphorus. It may take two or three wars, but you should be able to cripple them eventually and then they'll be pretty easy to gradually absorb.

Other tips: Exploration is the best first idea group, you will be much stronger by the time you're fighting the Turks if you have a bunch of African colonies, especially super rich provinces like Cape, Bourbon, etc. Humanist is my preferred second idea group because you'll always be dealing with lovely religious unity and lots of rebellion without it, whereas with it you will have very few serious rebel problems.

I think my problem is that I managed to do that and the Ottomans do not have the mission to conquer Egypt and yet they attack me. And neither Poland nor Austria have wanted to ally me yet for some reason. I think I'll start over and try to secure a larger African power base before moving north.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I finally managed to drill my way down to the Southern coast in my Poland game but it's already after 1550. I've got a 4th idea available, is exploration a good pick? Or is already too late? My ideas are Religious, Aristocratic, and Administrative. I went aristocratic because I want the winged hussars and poland can into space achievements so I took Aristocratic first for the tech discounts since I was going to have to take it eventually. The other ideaI'm thinking of taking is influence because my way to India is blocked by a mega-coalition of Persia, Ottomans, Austria and OPM Pskov who I didn't realize had broken free of Muscovy.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

LLSix posted:

I finally managed to drill my way down to the Southern coast in my Poland game but it's already after 1550. I've got a 4th idea available, is exploration a good pick? Or is already too late? My ideas are Religious, Aristocratic, and Administrative. I went aristocratic because I want the winged hussars and poland can into space achievements so I took Aristocratic first for the tech discounts since I was going to have to take it eventually. The other ideaI'm thinking of taking is influence because my way to India is blocked by a mega-coalition of Persia, Ottomans, Austria and OPM Pskov who I didn't realize had broken free of Muscovy.

You're not really in the best position to profit from colonization; you'd need Lubeck or westward to bring home New World trade and it'll be a while before you can conquer enough of India and SE Asia to bring colonial trade home that way. It's definitely not too late, now or never for Exploration as a 4th pick probably. You may still beat Portugal to the Cape. If you do decide to take Exploration, don't forget to land a Conquistador in the New World and have him search for the seven cities. Exploration as an idea set for Europeans is largely a vanity project, it doesn't give you much direct benefit and actually you're sinking a lot of resources into growing colonies. However, exploring the New World will dump hundreds of monarch points on you from events and you are likely to find one or several of the Seven Cities which give amazing permanent bonuses. My current England game I discovered the Kingdom of Saguenay which was a permanent +10% Trade Power and +10% Trade Efficiency and also El Dorado for -1 RR and +10 base tax income. Any non-primitive taking Exploration and not immediately sending an exploration squad is seriously missing out.

I think Influence is probably a better bet for you though. Keep in mind it only will take a couple wars with Portugal or Spain to wring loose most/all of their African and Asian colonies, and that colonies don't give OE. They're easy to conquer late game so unless you have specific goals or really want to go colonial I'd take Influence.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I was aggravated to learn, in my USA game, that you can't do the search for seven cities if your capital is in the New World. Also goddamn those borders

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Trundel posted:

Well, I got out of one war with the Mamluks as the Knights intact because they refused to send more than 5k men to siege my only province. The trouble is that with the years that I had to wait before peacing out Castille and Portugal snapped up the only provinces in my colonial range, and now everyone in the region has a claim on me and no one else wants to ally up with me. Going to try a save from 20 years back and see if I can avoid that war but drat is this a restart game.

It's a lot harder now. You used to be able to sail over, conquer a new world tribe, and then lose Rhodes to the Ottomans. Instant capital switch.

Now I don't think you can annex a tribe if you can't core the land.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I was aggravated to learn, in my USA game, that you can't do the search for seven cities if your capital is in the New World. Also goddamn those borders

Oh yeah. Haha. I forgot about Lithuania's border gore. I like to try and cut off parts of a big nation in peace deals to give rebels a chance to break free. Hasn't really worked yet this game but it did make my second war with Muscovy a cake walk. By walking on Lithuania's territory I was able to bypass all of Muscovy's forts and hunt their stack to death. I'm so glad they're fixing that in the next patch but I'm happy to take advantage of it while I can.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Can anyone explain to me why the province of Finland doesn't have Finnish culture or even a Finnish core?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Can anyone explain to me why the province of Finland doesn't have Finnish culture or even a Finnish core?

The west coast of Finland was settled by Swedes in the medieval period and there are still significant Swedish-speaking minorities in those areas today.

I guess Paradox must've decided they were majority Swedish at the time, I dunno how historically accurate that is.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

So when should I westernize? It's 1583 in my Vijay->Bharat game, and I'm the most powerful nation in the known world. I just got a core next to a western nation in south Africa, and am wondering if it's even worth it at all for me to attempt it at this point? I've been pretty much ahead of or caught up on tech, aside from diplomatic tech, but I am finding it difficult to invest in ideas.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Pellisworth posted:

The west coast of Finland was settled by Swedes in the medieval period and there are still significant Swedish-speaking minorities in those areas today.

I guess Paradox must've decided they were majority Swedish at the time, I dunno how historically accurate that is.

It's a reasonable enough abstraction. E.g. there wasn't even a written Finnish language until the 16th century.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Sokrateez posted:

So when should I westernize? It's 1583 in my Vijay->Bharat game, and I'm the most powerful nation in the known world. I just got a core next to a western nation in south Africa, and am wondering if it's even worth it at all for me to attempt it at this point? I've been pretty much ahead of or caught up on tech, aside from diplomatic tech, but I am finding it difficult to invest in ideas.

The sooner you westernize, the more worth it westernization becomes.

And yes, it's very much worth it that early, if only to squeeze a bunch of merchants out of African trade companies.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Does anyone know of a way to see when a vassal or PU is about to have a rebellion? Lithuania is stuck in an endless cycle of rebellions from 3-4 different factions because they always manage to take a few provinces before we can get our armies over there. If I could tell when they were about to rebel I could get my armies over there in time and maybe break the cycle.

Pellisworth posted:

I think Influence is probably a better bet for you though. Keep in mind it only will take a couple wars with Portugal or Spain to wring loose most/all of their African and Asian colonies, and that colonies don't give OE. They're easy to conquer late game so unless you have specific goals or really want to go colonial I'd take Influence.

Thank you for the advice! I think I'll take it.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Give me a short answer: what's the easiest country to WC with in 1.13?

I just hit 200 hours in this game and I've never done a WC before, and I'd like to celebrate by doing one, but I don't want a super tough challenge. Is it still Ottomans or bust?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

quadrophrenic posted:

I just hit 200 hours in this game and I've never done a WC before, and I'd like to celebrate by doing one, but I don't want a super tough challenge. Is it still Ottomans or bust?

FYI it's gonna be pretty tough even with the Ottomans.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's not difficult, just extremely tedious and time consuming if you want to do it efficiently. OE is definitely the easiest pick due to NIs and starting out huge already and being perfectly placed to abuse overseas cores.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Quick question, trying a Venice to Byz run and I've cultured shifted to Greek and now I want to convert to orthodox. The normal method of selecting the new religion and then riding out the stab hit isn't there, what am I missing as a criteria?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Quick question, trying a Venice to Byz run and I've cultured shifted to Greek and now I want to convert to orthodox. The normal method of selecting the new religion and then riding out the stab hit isn't there, what am I missing as a criteria?

You are forcing a revolt to brew and then accepting rebel demands. You'll need to send a missionary to convert an Orthodox province without separatism, wait for the month to tick over. In the Stability and Expansion tab you want Orthodox Zealots to show up, accept their demands to convert. If you are less than 50% Orthodox you will have to go the much more painful route of waiting for the rebels to spawn a stack and roll around occupying and converting some provinces for you.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

quadrophrenic posted:

popewiles posted:

FYI it's gonna be pretty tough even with the Ottomans.

RabidWeasel posted:

It's not difficult, just extremely tedious and time consuming if you want to do it efficiently. OE is definitely the easiest pick due to NIs and starting out huge already and being perfectly placed to abuse overseas cores.
Ottomans it is, although it took me much more than 200 hours to get comfortable enough to succeed as them.

What I ended up doing was building as big a navy as I could muster day 1, and then fabricating a claim on the Mamluks. I then invaded them at year 3. You need a navy because you need to land on their one catholic province and take it before the Mamluks convert it.

Once you've done that, you annex a stretch of territory from there to your capital. Provoke some catholic zealots to rise up, and then wait as they convert your empire. You want to get as many catholic provinces force-converted as you can before you convert to catholicism.

After this happens, you need to push in two directions at once. You need to push east and build up a vassal buffer. I took and released syria, iraq, and persia (move quickly to get the one Persian culture province that Qara Qoyunlu has before Persia breaks free) so that all territory you conquer in Asia and Africa is distant overseas.

You also need to push west. You can stay just barely under the AE limit, now that you're catholic, if you take a strip of Hungarian territory leading to Vienna, core it, and then take Vienna. Aim to westernize by decision around 1520.

The next thing that you want to do is start vassalizing electors that go protestant. You will also go protestant, of course, when it becomes auspicious to do so. Once the wars of religion start, win them and use your vassal electors to make sure you become Emperor.

Win the game at this point.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!

quadrophrenic posted:

What's your strat here? I love exodus runs, the more improbable the better, but I'm generally have no idea how to go about the really crazy exoduses (exodi?) without some sort of guide.

Ally with, who, Venice? What's the goal of the Mamluk war?

Ah, details. My initial goal was to get a couple of Italian allies and grab part of Tunis or Fezzan. If I lost Rhodes in the meantime, meh, that's fine. From there if I didn't get to Diplo 7 fast enough I planned to tunnel through Air to the coast and start going around South Africa and South America. The trouble was that everything went bad with potential allies immediately. The Papal State never wanted an alliance with me, Hungary got suddenly beefy when Austria fell under a PU with them, the Itallian minors got gobbled up by Florence, Genoa and Naples (none of whom like me enough to ally). Tunis allied with the Ottomans and took all of Fezzan, the Mamluks vassaled Cyprus, and the Ottomans are off to a strong start. My only ally, Venice, just got dogpiled in a way that I haven't seen since I last had an AE death from going after HRE states.

So Hungary had just taken a chunk of Serbia and got a claim on Venezia somehow, immediately DOWing them over it. Venice was doing okay, until the Ottomans DOWed them over their Greece states, and prompty sunk their fleet. When the Mamluks DOWed Venice over Crete I refused to honor the call as the Mamluks had a claim on me and would definitely take it in the war. Now Venice is down to Treviso and Verona, no one wants to ally me anywhere, I white peaced out of a 4 year war with Cyprus and the Mamluks (where they refused to actually siege me for whatever reason), and now there are no colonial targets in range.

It's 1480, and every time I get to February the Ottomans DOW me for my only province so this run is likely over unless some quick day-to-day reloads don't cause a war. That feels scummy though, so I might try a new game with the same goal. Any hot tips for a new Knights Escape Run?

edit: Also I don't have everything all planned out in any run, I like to leave room for bullshit.

Trundel fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 8, 2015

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
As PLC, I got Greece released in a war, and figured that I might as well diplo-annex them. After selling some provinces to them, it turns out that their cores sum up to more than 100 development. Oops. Now they're allied, married, guaranteed and at 200 relations with vassalization being impossible. Should I just suck it up and keep Greece as a (hopefully) useful ally? I think I might just abandon that front of expansion anyway since it's tiring fighting the Ottomans with a lesser navy and having to walk around the Black Sea :v:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

This is a cool event. It's good to be polish. Interestingly the event doesn't fire for the Commonwealth. Just another way in which the PLC decision is a newbie trap.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm wondering, is it possible to conquer Syria before Ottomans get a border with Mamluks, and would you be able to keep Ottomans as a buddy or would they instantly want that territory and un-ally & rival me?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

LLSix posted:

This is a cool event. It's good to be polish. Interestingly the event doesn't fire for the Commonwealth. Just another way in which the PLC decision is a newbie trap.

Why is PLC a newbie trap? I was thinking about doing a Poland run at some point after my current one.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

double nine posted:

I'm wondering, is it possible to conquer Syria before Ottomans get a border with Mamluks, and would you be able to keep Ottomans as a buddy or would they instantly want that territory and un-ally & rival me?

The ottoman missions to conquer syria, egypt, etc. only fire if they have a land border with the mameluks. So if you prevent the mameluk-ottoman border they are never going to be bothered by you owning that land.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I hate how a lot of times you lose cool events by forming a nation. Poland into PLC and Sweden into Scandinavia are two that I can think of.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
May have gotten lucky for the Knights, Portugal started attacking Morroco and left their capital and a Western sea province open. I zipped in with my 1 transport and 1 mercenary and took every open province before sticking my sad little merc on their capital. Without sieging down the capital, Morroco's only fort, Portugal couldn't get anything in a peace deal but they decimated the Morrocan army before white peacing. Now I've got a tunnel to the Central African colonial opportunities and will be able to get some cored provinces to jump to the New World from!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

quadrophrenic posted:

I have over 1,000 played on this game according to Steam and I still don't think I have the patience or knowledge to do a world conquest with the Ottomans. There are better players out there with much less play time than me that can/have done it, sure, but I don't think you can use any form of the word "easy" when doing a world conquest with this game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

I have over 1,000 played on this game according to Steam and I still don't think I have the patience or knowledge to do a world conquest with the Ottomans. There are better players out there with much less play time than me that can/have done it, sure, but I don't think you can use any form of the word "easy" when doing a world conquest with this game.

Yeah I have upwards of a thousand hours on EU4 as well and never done or seriously attempted a WC. It just doesn't really appeal to me and would require a lot of tedium and micromanagement for the whole game that I don't enjoy.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Why is PLC a newbie trap? I was thinking about doing a Poland run at some point after my current one.

Lithuania is your bestest bro forever and will never try to fight you for independence, plus when you push the button you automatically inherit all their cores for FREE. It's a newbie trap because Lithuania is really strong and you should keep them around to feed them a ton of land which you'll later get for free. In the meantime you have a pit-bull ally.

Edit: the PU inheritance decisions for Spain, PLC, and to a lesser extent Great Britain are all fairly abusable. They're kind of a throwback to the good old days when men were men and vassal feeding was king because integration didn't cost any monarch points.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 8, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Elective Monarchy can give you a lot of terrible events that a new player would have a lot of trouble dealing with if blindsided by them.

PU Mechanics are also very important

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Man, the 30 years war seems to keep...not starting in my games. The protestants have Sweden and mega-Commonwealth on their side, but they still aren't kicking things off, and it's nearing 30 years since the leagues formed already.

edit: Theeere you go. 1597. Cutting it pretty close there, Bohemia!

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 8, 2015

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
It can be annoying yeah. In my current game the war was shaping up to be France, Russia, Ottomans and Sweden versus Austria, Spain, PLC and Great Britain, with the usual smattering of minors, but the Protestant League leader, little two province Mecklenburg, never pulled the trigger. Of course I have to sit on my thumbs because I'm Ireland-in-waiting over in Mexico. The Victoria 2 crisis system had this great dynamic where more power players getting involved pushed the situation closer and closer to an automatic war declaration; maybe something similar could make the League wars fire more often..

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Is there some mechanic that lowers the chance of hiring a new adviser of the same type as your previous one? Or does the adviser selection bias toward certain types?

Because I've been throwing gold at new advisers each month for three years and never gotten a Theologian. It's extremely loving stupid.

Edit: this certainly isn't the first time I've thrown hundreds/thousands of gold at firing and trying to recruit new advisers while endlessly rolling the same two types I don't want or whatever.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 8, 2015

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Speaking of the league wars, I've been best buds with HRE Emperor Bohemia most of the game. I haven't signed up for the league wars because I don't really have a dog in the fight. Am I likely to get dragged in if they ever fire? My alliance with Bohemia has been pretty handy for not getting the unlawful territory requests so I'm not eager to drop it. Then again, if I allied up with mega-Austria maybe I could start wardeccing HRE members directly. Hmm..

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Star posted:

I think my problem is that I managed to do that and the Ottomans do not have the mission to conquer Egypt and yet they attack me. And neither Poland nor Austria have wanted to ally me yet for some reason. I think I'll start over and try to secure a larger African power base before moving north.

I find the best move as Ethiopia is to go South and take all of the Zanzibar node, take exploration as your first idea to colonize the cape and the Philippines simultaneously, and conquer Malacca and java so that you can funnel all of that money into crushing the Ottomans under a pile of silver and spice.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

LLSix posted:

Speaking of the league wars, I've been best buds with HRE Emperor Bohemia most of the game. I haven't signed up for the league wars because I don't really have a dog in the fight. Am I likely to get dragged in if they ever fire? My alliance with Bohemia has been pretty handy for not getting the unlawful territory requests so I'm not eager to drop it. Then again, if I allied up with mega-Austria maybe I could start wardeccing HRE members directly. Hmm..

I'm pretty sure that league leaders can call their own allies as well as all league members during a league war.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
There is an event that fires that gives Finland a claim on the Finland province. In my last game as Norway I punched out Finland as a march from Sweden in my independence war against Denmark. In the next war I took the province, and a while after the peace deal I got an event that asked me to return the province to Finland, as it was a "natural part of their country". They still had to core it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Can someone explain how this works.

Castile has absolutely no diplomatic relations with France and yet, if I try to call them into a war with France I get the "would destabilize" malus.

• Locked thread