Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

El Hefe posted:

I'm sure someone will make an ngage 2.
That's a bit of a stretch, but it has a nice ring to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ngage 2: the unidentified

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Okay, so you can play turn based rpgs and and top down zelda with bad controls on touch screens. That leaves out Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, action RPGs, 3D Zelda, any sort of shooter, and basically anything else that moves even slightly quick. I think phone controls aren't an option for Nintendo.

I'm not necessarily saying that Nintendo is going to move to phone controls or anything, or that Nintendo's going to make their next portable console a phone. It's just that portable gaming is already a niche, and if you can just pop a phone in front of your kids, that they probably already have anyway, to have them play simple touch games instead of buying a gaming-dedicated device, then it's gonna become even more niche.

I don't want portable consoles to go away. I love my Vita and my 3DS, and some of my favorite games in the last few generations have been portable. But just like how consoles are stalling as they reach the point of just being pre-built PCs, portables are gonna start to stall as people learn to program better for phones. e: I don't know where I got the idea that consoles are stalling from. I do think that people are learning to program games for phones better now, though, so it doesn't fully change my opinions on the viability of portables.

El Hefe posted:

I'm sure someone will make an ngage 2.

They already sort of did.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xperia_Play

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 20, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My niece used to play a bunch of ipad games now she has a 3DS and loves kirby/animal crossing/new super mario bros/mario kart so maybe there is hope for the future

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ngage 2 miku

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I don't want portable consoles to go away. I love my Vita and my 3DS, and some of my favorite games in the last few generations have been portable. But just like how consoles are stalling as they reach the point of just being pre-built PCs, portables are gonna start to stall as people learn to program better for phones.

By stalling do you mean selling extremely well?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Andrast posted:

By stalling do you mean selling extremely well?

I thought I had read somewhere that consoles weren't selling as well as they were last generation, and that handhelds were doing even worse. Maybe I'm confusing something? I dunno. If I'm wrong, then I'll amend my post.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

i don't like playing games on my phone

so!

Yeah. I never play games on my phone even though by all means it's probably way more powerful than the Vita with more games. I just can't stand touch screens for games and I also don't want a phone that is a game controller. Plus there are just too many lovely or mindless games on mobile. I hope handheld gaming keeps on trucking.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SpacePig posted:

I thought I had read somewhere that consoles weren't selling as well as they were last generation, and that handhelds were doing even worse. Maybe I'm confusing something? I dunno. If I'm wrong, then I'll amend my post.

The only consoles that have sold better than the PS4 are the PS2 and Wii

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SpacePig posted:

This gen started out slow but it's still very healthy. The 3DS is even selling pretty well, though it's by no means doing gangbusters like the DS/DS Lite did

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I want handhelds to go away, and for smartphones to get integrated controllers and batteries that last days, and for Nintendo and Sony to release their games on Android and iOS, so that I don't need to drop £400 on new handhelds every few years on top of what I already pay to upgrade my phone.

Since those two things aren't going to happen, I don't want handhelds to go away.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I want a 3DS player to go with my GameBoy Player and for the Vita TV to work with everything since I have a car and drive myself and just play portables at home anyway.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I wish the Xperia Play had been a genuinely good machine, rather than just a middling Android phone with a sub-PSP Go slide out tray. I can't imagine lugging something the size of the Vita around with me all of the time, but being able to play my PSP and PS1 games, and maybe even some Play-specific ones, one my phone without having to root it or use touch controls would be pretty cool if done right.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

google did too, thanks google

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engaged_to_the_Unidentified

yep that is a vita thread quality reference :golfclap:

Lemon-Lime posted:

I want handhelds to go away, and for smartphones to get integrated controllers and batteries that last days, and for Nintendo and Sony to release their games on Android and iOS, so that I don't need to drop £400 on new handhelds every few years on top of what I already pay to upgrade my phone.

Since those two things aren't going to happen, I don't want handhelds to go away.

Phantasium posted:

I want a 3DS player to go with my GameBoy Player and for the Vita TV to work with everything since I have a car and drive myself and just play portables at home anyway.
:same::same:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Endorph posted:

beautiful :golfclap:

they have songs in Miracle Girls Festival. they are very good.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Takoluka posted:

beautiful :golfclap:

they have songs in Miracle Girls Festival. they are very good.

I think that was the only one out of the entire group I knew a song from.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

are you not familiar with the wonderfulness of Wake Up, Girls!?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dragon Quest Builders is coming to PS4/Vita on October 11th (NA) / 14th (EU). Some pre-order stuff if you pre-order on PS4. Here's some screenshots.

Some previews for Laser Disco Defenders, Mary Skelter, Berserk, Macross Delta Scramble.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

SpacePig posted:

The console part is true strictly in the sense that the Wii attracted a huge audience of people that didn't care to stick around and the WiiU bombed. While there are less sales overall, the PS4 and Xbox One are both outpacing their predecessors when sales are aligned.
Handhelds though, that's definitely dying.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Haven't they sold like 50 million 3DSs

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Is there a writeup anywhere about the difference in performance between the PS4 and the Vita? I'm sure it's significant, but I know things like the Atelier Plus games have some bad issues in places. I'd really like to get this for Vita, but if it doesn't perform particularly well, I might have to go PS4.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

HGH posted:

The console part is true strictly in the sense that the Wii attracted a huge audience of people that didn't care to stick around and the WiiU bombed. While there are less sales overall, the PS4 and Xbox One are both outpacing their predecessors when sales are aligned.
Handhelds though, that's definitely dying.

Console sales have actually slowed down tremendously, especially with the rumoured new model looming on the horizon for PS4.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, without a PS2 or Wii in the market, it's understandable things look bad:

But compared to the PS3, things are better now.

This is from March so obviously things have changed now. But even a 4 month stagnation period would still put it ahead of last generation.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

SpacePig posted:

Is there a writeup anywhere about the difference in performance between the PS4 and the Vita? I'm sure it's significant, but I know things like the Atelier Plus games have some bad issues in places. I'd really like to get this for Vita, but if it doesn't perform particularly well, I might have to go PS4.

I haven't read a whole lot about it but supposedly the Vita version runs solid 30 FPS but doesn't look as good as the PS4 version. I'm sure when the US release gets closer we'll get a better picture.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Not fair, I already have that month set aside for robot golf

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've never been that into minecraft and I find the clones especially unappealing. On top of that I don't really know much about DQ. but I'm pretty excited for Dragon Quest builders. it looks like the right mix of charming visuals, arpg gameplay and actual structure to get me into the genre. The few write ups I have read make me more excited. It'll probably be a day one buy for me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I think the big difference with this is that it seems to have an actual in-game point to it. Like, building dumb poo poo in a sandbox is fun enough, but there's only so much to do with that. Having some sort of driving force will make a big difference, at least for me. Also, I love the DQ aesthetic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The demo of DQ Builders was wonderful and I'm looking forward to the full game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah same. The aesthetic is a pretty big selling point. I've never been into the series but I've always loved the look of it and not having everything just being hideous blocks is nice. But yeah the main thing is that it sounds like an arpg with sandbox mechanics vs just kind of a dick around game which is super appealing to me.

Plus from what I've seen the action mechanics just look fun which is one of the weakest parts of minecraft to me.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

It does unless handheld consoles can somehow justify their increase development budgets and costs. Part of the reason we see fewer b-tier games is because even a low-budget game has massively increased development budgets if just through things like voice acting. The Vita is not a cheap system to develop for and unless the 3DS successor is hilariously underpowered it is going to have the same problem.

I have a feeling that we'll start seeing more 'b-tier' poo poo in the works as more small devs rise from the ashes of other devs. Stuff that isn't necessarily the highest production values, stuff that may not have every line voiced (see how Nintendo and just about everyone else who isn't making the next big AAA game cut corners on their voiceovers, an example being Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates as whole relying on soundbites that sometimes sound hilariously out of place next to any written dialogue). Especially for handhelds and mobile devices.

I'm not entirely sure "power" is an issue for handheld gaming, there are phones that for all intents and purposes poo poo hot fury all over the 3DS and the Vita, and much like modern consoles and PC hardware most of the successful games don't even bother taking advantage of it all. Admittedly, it's likely that game development on smart devices is stymied by a technology curve that bears a closer resemblance to a cliff face and has new iterations every single year compared to the more conservative approach of handheld/console hardware.

I'm genuinely confused at how the Vita isn't 'cheap' to develop for. Is it due to the fact that it basically bombed, or is the hardware something completely alien and retarded like the PS3? There never were, even when it was getting support of some kind from Sony itself, all that many games that really showed the POWER of the VITA. Most of the stuff looks like really good PS2/really low budget PS3 games at best, with occasional standouts like Killzone, Wipeout and... yeah pretty much those two are the real graphical powerhouses on the Vita. Maybe Golden Abyss, if we want lend some pity to it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

fivegears4reverse posted:

I'm genuinely confused at how the Vita isn't 'cheap' to develop for. Is it due to the fact that it basically bombed, or is the hardware something completely alien and retarded like the PS3? There never were, even when it was getting support of some kind from Sony itself, all that many games that really showed the POWER of the VITA. Most of the stuff looks like really good PS2/really low budget PS3 games at best, with occasional standouts like Killzone, Wipeout and... yeah pretty much those two are the real graphical powerhouses on the Vita. Maybe Golden Abyss, if we want lend some pity to it.

It costs money to get registered as a developer. Registering as a business, buying the development console while signing contracts not to make a rom loader, etc.

With mobile anyone can publish a game in their underwear. Even if it's just a physics engine and a pile of bricks.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
For what is worth, someone did an overview of Uppers in english

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02EvERlBItE

The actual gameplay starts at the 8:21 mark. Before that the guy showcases the Dressing Room-esque feature.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

rise best girl

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

videl is the best girl with bulma and 18 as close seconds

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Super No Vacancy posted:

rise best girl

what about fall

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that's a season.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I had high hopes for the JXD Singularity S192 handled but it's basically been a barren wasteland for reviews for it since it's western release this spring. Not usually a good sign.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ruggington posted:

videl is the best girl with bulma and 18 as close seconds

I agree with this statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana launched today everybody