Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Nice. Where abouts?

Eastham. Wish I had more interesting to say about it but we haven't managed to get out much. It's still offseason so everything is closed Monday and Tuesday. Though thankfully Cape Cod Beer is open so I'll be dropping by there in a bit. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
The wife and I finished The People vs OJ Simpson series on Netflix last night. All I can say is wow... :stare:

I was only 15 when it went down and I remember it being crazy, but going through it all as an adult (at least what the series portrays) is pretty incredible to see how he got off.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Watch OJ Simpson: Made in America.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Is that the 30 for 30?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

That was what I did immediately after and it's good

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

weird Asian candy posted:

Is that the 30 for 30?

No, it's a drama series where Cuba Gooding jr plays OJ

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, I got it backwards. Watch them both, is what I'm saying

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

^ OK cool, thanks for the heads up I will check it out. I forgot it existed. What is the difference between the two other than one has actors?

Volkerball posted:

No, it's a drama series where Cuba Gooding jr plays OJ

The Cuba is The People vs OJ, that's the one I just watched. The one Irish is talking about I believe is the ESPN 30 for 30 one?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

^ OK cool, thanks for the heads up I will check it out. I forgot it existed. What is the difference between the two other than one has actors?

The Cuba is The People vs OJ, that's the one I just watched. The one Irish is talking about I believe is the ESPN 30 for 30 one?

Yes. If you haven't seen it, go do it now.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The 30 for 30 is way, way, way more detailed. It's like a 5 hour documentary. It's incredible.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Yes. If you haven't seen it, go do it now.

Cool, we will.

The 30 for 30s are so incredible, I'm actually really excited to check it out. I'm sure it will be more WTF worthy than The People vs OJ

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cool, we will.

The 30 for 30s are so incredible, I'm actually really excited to check it out. I'm sure it will be more WTF worthy than The People vs OJ

Oh yeah. They dig into the social dynamics and OJ's character and everything. Starting from when he was born. The whole first episode is just setting the stage. They don't even go into the murder until later. There's that much loving context.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
You can tell you are getting old when they have started making reflective historical documentaries about stuff you lived through and remember

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You can tell you are getting old when they have started making reflective historical documentaries about stuff you lived through and remember

The 9/11 ones were coming out in like..December

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Quiet Feet posted:

We saw GotG2 today. Can confirm goodness. I love the very ultra-modern 60s/70s design of Kurt Russell's spaceship and his psychedelic planet.

In the movie theater now waiting for it to begin. I assume I'm going to be staying until all the credits are complete. Marvel movies suck you in that way. :)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I took a US history survey class in college (this would have been 2007) and the textbook ended with 9/11 and I wanted to curl up into a ball and die.

Granted, that stretched the definition of "history" because it was only six years prior. The book took liberties because that alongside the dot com crash was considered the end of "The Nineties" in their definition.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

:same:

I was a junior in high school during the rodney king riots. I had a friend who had an uncle who owned a convenience store in LA. On day 2 of the riots, he and his dad went down and joined up with his uncle and they defended the store.

The other day my wife and I were watching some two-part special on comic book superheroes and how they developed over time, and they showed a clip from the RK riots as part of a segment about the social context behind what was going on with superhero comics in the early 90s. Because a bunch of people watching that show today are too young to remember the 90s.

Dang I feel old.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Spoeank posted:

. The book took liberties because that alongside the dot com crash was considered the end of "The Nineties" in their definition.

I think that's fair, those two events were definitely the end of the era of post Soviet prosperity and peace that the 90s defined

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think that's fair, those two events were definitely the end of the era of post Soviet prosperity and peace that the 90s defined

Hmm. I think for me, the y2k scare, the dotcom bust, and the presidential election of George W. Bush mark the termination (with extreme prejudice) of the 1990s. By september 2001, the shitshow was already in full swing.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Leperflesh posted:

Hmm. I think for me, the y2k scare, the dotcom bust, and the presidential election of George W. Bush mark the termination (with extreme prejudice) of the 1990s. By september 2001, the shitshow was already in full swing.

I think 9/11 is a nice dividing line because the country (and world) took a sharp turn there that led almost directly to all the dumb poo poo going on in the world on May 8, 2017.

Y2K scare was ultimately nothing (since they fixed what would have been a problem)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How did the textbook view Clinton? He was a dreadful president but he's so charismatic that people don't give a heck.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The first 'holy poo poo' event I can remember clearly was the Oklahoma city bombing

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Dreadful is strong even if you didn't like his run.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How did the textbook view Clinton? He was a dreadful president but he's so charismatic that people don't give a heck.

If I remember right, it talked about NAFTA, Yugoslavia and the impeachment, mostly. It was pretty non-committal and was a bland statement of facts.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Bill Clinton raised taxes on the rich.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Shangri-Law School posted:

Bill Clinton raised taxes on the rich.

Quelle horreur!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Spoeank posted:

I think 9/11 is a nice dividing line because the country (and world) took a sharp turn there that led almost directly to all the dumb poo poo going on in the world on May 8, 2017.
I'm not one to talk, but I honestly believe that Muslims in America pre-9/11 didn't face even half of the bigotry and discrimination that they do now

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

In the movie theater now waiting for it to begin. I assume I'm going to be staying until all the credits are complete. Marvel movies suck you in that way. :)

You've either seen it or are just about at the end of it by now but, yeah, they have 3-4 short scenes during the credits.

I was tickles by the inclusion of Ben Browder (is that his name? Dude from Farscape) as one of the snooty high elves fancy golden space people.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Eli Wiggum posted:

I'm not one to talk, but I honestly believe that Muslims in America pre-9/11 didn't face even half of the bigotry and discrimination that they do now

Rambo 3 features red-blooded American John Rambo helping the brave and noble Musselmen of Afghanistan against the evil Communist menace of Russia.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 8, 2017

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Eli Wiggum posted:

Blame Jack Bauer

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Quiet Feet posted:

Rambo 3 features red-blooded American John Rambo helping the brave and noble Musselmen of Afghanistan against the evil Communist menace of Russia.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

a neat cape posted:

Blame Jack Bauer
In an actual Supreme Court decision. 😞

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Blame Jack Bauer

Definitely didn't help, but no, I think the surge of anti-Islamic sentiment predates 24. I see 24 more as a reaction that a catalyst.

Within a week of 9/11, there was an unprecedented rash of violence against muslims (and anyone with a turban, including especially Sikhs) across the country. There was already a low-level prejudice there, of course, but mostly people were not talking much about "islamic terrorism" - it was problems with Saudi Arabia's control of oil, some lingering poo poo about the first Iraq war, and - by far the most important issue - the Israel/Palestine conflict.

Like this poo poo was funny because it was true as hell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp6SgR9F5b0

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

a neat cape posted:

The first 'holy poo poo' event I can remember clearly was the Oklahoma city bombing

I was seven and became incredibly despondent when I heard Princess Diana had died because I had a crush on her.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Dreadful is strong even if you didn't like his run.

His "third way" agenda was "sprint to the right". The financial crisis of 2007 was largely due to deregulation in his terms. He pushed democrats to dismantle Glass-Steagall law and deregulated the financial sector at a blazing pace.

From the Columbia Journal Review:

quote:

Riegle-Neal hasn’t got a tenth of the press that the CMFA and Gramm-Leach-Bliley have, but it was a milestone in the creation of Too Big to Fail, allowing banks to cross state lines, effectively gutting state regulation of banking. The Christian Science Monitor that year quoted a Wall Street analyst saying that, “‘It also didn’t hurt that NationsBank president Hugh McColl has a working relationship with President Clinton or that the comptroller of the currency, Eugene Ludwig, was a successful lawyer at Covington & Burling and NationsBank had been a major client.’” Hugh McColl gave us Bank of America...

His Treasury Department pushed for the Commodity Futures Modernization Act after squashing Brooksley Born’s fervent attempts to have her Commodity Futures Trading Commission regulate derivatives.

The bottom line is: Bill Clinton was responsible for more damaging financial deregulation—and thus, for the financial crisis— than any other president.

His omnibus federal crime bill raised mandatory minimums among other awful changes. His reforms to welfare were largely punitive. It goes on and on.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 8, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

never stops making me laugh

Also this

let's arm a dictator because he hates Iran. This won't backfire.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The world is a weird place.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eli Wiggum posted:

This is very true, yeah. If you look at the FBI's hate crime data from the US, in 2001 it basically jumped up from a reported ~30 cases a year previously to over 500, then settled down into merely 100-200 a year afterwards. (Specifically Muslim, in total the FBI reports 8-10k hate crimes a year over that timeframe outside of 2001, but there's a lot of general hate to go around in the US).

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Kalli posted:

This is very true, yeah. If you look at the FBI's hate crime data from the US, in 2001 it basically jumped up from a reported ~30 cases a year previously to over 500, then settled down into merely 100-200 a year afterwards. (Specifically Muslim, in total the FBI reports 8-10k hate crimes a year over that timeframe outside of 2001, but there's a lot of general hate to go around in the US).

That's a lot lower than what I would have expected. Is the hate crime data from charges or for convictions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

never stops making me laugh

Also this

let's arm a dictator because he hates Iran. This won't backfire.

They can't even plead hindsight because Saddam had the most metal coup in human history right from the get go.

• Locked thread