Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The ffxv ending is perfect. Fix altissia instead you fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

This is one huge city says Cid as he leads you to the single city block that's actually been modelled and programmed.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

The ffxv ending is perfect. Fix altissia instead you fuckers

The ending was my favorite part of the game.

Fan feedback is always best taken with a grain of salt. You should expect (and dismiss!) some negative feedback if you’re going to do that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

This is one huge city says Cid as he leads you to the single city block that's actually been modelled and programmed.

to be fair, lestallum is also a huge city but you really only see a single city block and a marketplace half the size of the one in secret of evermore

i guess a couple side streets that you would probably get mugged walking down if gladio wasn't with you

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is Lindblum the best FF city y/n

I actually only finished FFIX a few years ago but I played up to Lindblum like 15 times as a kid because that whole section was the best

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Help Im Alive posted:

n

it's Limsa Lominsa

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

to be fair, lestallum is also a huge city but you really only see a single city block and a marketplace half the size of the one in secret of evermore

i guess a couple side streets that you would probably get mugged walking down if gladio wasn't with you

Lestallum is tiny too but at least you can generally go to the places you see. Altissia is introduced in this big sweeping shot and you drive by all these buildings and they're just... not accessible. I guess nobody ever travels to those big basillicas ever

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite FF city is Paris, France

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Help Im Alive posted:

I actually only finished FFIX a few years ago but I played up to Lindblum like 15 times as a kid because that whole section was the best

:yeah:

Really all the cities in IX are lovely. Lindblum is just particularly great because it manages to feel as huge as the intro cutscene makes it out to be. Even after it gets heavily nuked it still feels super big and grand.

After all these years IX still holds up really well because despite it looking like rear end scaled up to modern resolutions you can just see and feel all the time and love that went into handcrafting all the scenery.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Really all the cities in IX are lovely. Lindblum is just particularly great because it manages to feel as huge as the intro cutscene makes it out to be. Even after it gets heavily nuked it still feels super big and grand.

After all these years IX still holds up really well because despite it looking like rear end scaled up to modern resolutions you can just see and feel all the time and love that went into handcrafting all the scenery.

Are there any repaintings of ps1 era area backgrounds?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Help Im Alive posted:

Cid’s Theme is one of my favorites in the series.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

For my vote, I'd say Esthar. Not in terms of things to do because it's pretty sparse there, but it's so cool to look at that I don't even care.

But I really love that kind of super dense fantasy city thing. Like Dream Zanarkand or whatever that big Eden city with the raceway was in 13 are amazing too, but they're even less developed than Esthar in things to do. I wish there were more games that had settings like those.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Speaking of, the Battle of Lindblum cutscene is impressively chilling.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

jaclynhyde posted:

Ardyn was originally the first Chosen One, meant to heal the people of the daemon plague. He did this by drawing the daemons that caused it into his body, and was most likely a good guy. Unfortunately, the Astrals/crystal eventually said “you're too full of daemons to be the Chosen One” and his brother took the throne as the first King of Lucis. Ardyn was then a) really pissed off at the Astrals and the Lucis Caelums, b) rejected by the people and likely tortured and/or jailed, and c) unable to die on account of all the daemons. At some point, a prophecy revealed that the...Chosen Chosen One would be the one to finally stop the demon plague and actually be able to kill Ardyn. He would be born 2000 years later. So besides hating everything about the Lucis Caelums and the prophecy, Ardyn really needed Noct to hate him so he'd finally kill him. In the end, Ardyn got everything he wanted: the end of the Lucis Caelums, revenge on the entire world, and his own death.

The new Pocket Edition dialogue makes this muddier, and various new dialogue and official descriptions make it very unclear how much of a bastard Ardyn and his brother were at the beginning. But in general, I think Ardyn's a pretty fantastic, layered FF villain.

We'll almost for sure see what their latest and greatest plan for him and his backgrounds moral since he's getting DLC. My read is Ardyn's solution to the plague would be something closer to coexistance, which the gods and crystal were totally not about. Basically him being a poster child of what humanity could become if it were to become symbiotic with the plague. The rest of his life then becomes a series of told you so: the burden of immortality, the impossibility of widespread symbiosis eg his empire of humans and demons falling to become only demons, and the growing strength of the Lucii while subservient to the crystal. By the end he seems fairly resolute in losing, feeling a lot like his final fight with Noct is suicide by cop.

But I usually see in Final Fantasy what I want it to be instead of what it is.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is Totomostro less random than it seems? I've tried betting on seemingly every combo of big/small/high-level/low-level/pack/solo monster, and every single time it gets its butt kicked.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
I haven’t seen any of this referenced online, but I think they added a legit Ultima weapon to the game. It just plopped out of a portal infront of me in chapter 14, it’s level 119 and Prompto said “what extra dimensional nonsense is this?!”. I’ve been looking for any info on it and can’t find any, currently too low level to fight it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

That's Omega. Not to be confused with Omega Weapon. But yes, he was an addition to Royal Edition.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
His theme is a remix of FFV music, it's great.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Omi no Kami posted:

Is Totomostro less random than it seems? I've tried betting on seemingly every combo of big/small/high-level/low-level/pack/solo monster, and every single time it gets its butt kicked.

I spent a couple hours playing it and I can win about 90% of the time now. So I guess here's my Monster Fight Tips:

1. The tenacity horn is pretty dope, it'll turn a one-hit kill on some low health monsters into a two-hit kill, which will give you enough time to win.
2. Eventually you'll get a feel for who beats who, but upsets still happen. You'll make most of your points in 1v1 matches, especially ones with two high payoff teams.
3. Pack teams are good 1v1, Single big monster teams are good in 4 team matches.
4. Safe bets: The flexitusk/sabertusk teams are very good. The "Obelisks", a reaperking, is pretty good. The weird unicorn teams can squeak out a win, especially with that tenacity horn.
5. Condition matters, but it's difficult to say how much. Just keep it in mind as you play and you'll get a feel for it.

Mostly it'll come down to experience. You'll figure it out with a little more time, then you'll be betting 9999 medals on every match and it's just a matter of waiting for the matches to end and spamming that horn button.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Coeurl team literally never loses, so pick them whenever possible.

The giraffe-thing team is useless, always avoid them.

Teams comprised of many small monsters are more effective than teams with just one or two big ones.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cronodoculous posted:

I spent a couple hours playing it and I can win about 90% of the time now. So I guess here's my Monster Fight Tips:

1. The tenacity horn is pretty dope, it'll turn a one-hit kill on some low health monsters into a two-hit kill, which will give you enough time to win.
2. Eventually you'll get a feel for who beats who, but upsets still happen. You'll make most of your points in 1v1 matches, especially ones with two high payoff teams.
3. Pack teams are good 1v1, Single big monster teams are good in 4 team matches.
4. Safe bets: The flexitusk/sabertusk teams are very good. The "Obelisks", a reaperking, is pretty good. The weird unicorn teams can squeak out a win, especially with that tenacity horn.
5. Condition matters, but it's difficult to say how much. Just keep it in mind as you play and you'll get a feel for it.

Mostly it'll come down to experience. You'll figure it out with a little more time, then you'll be betting 9999 medals on every match and it's just a matter of waiting for the matches to end and spamming that horn button.

Thanks for this, it was really helpful! I ended up spending most of my time betting big on the group of tusked wolf things, since they tended to get weirdly low odds in spite of pulverizing everything on the field.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Beat the first game. Moving on to the second until I get sick of it. Am so far enjoying trying to figure out the skill system. I've attacked myself a little and been raising evasion too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Beat the first game. Moving on to the second until I get sick of it. Am so far enjoying trying to figure out the skill system. I've attacked myself a little and been raising evasion too.

If youre playing NES, good keep doing this. Also, seriously, skyrocket your evasion to the moon because armor becomes useless endgame.

If youre playing the remakes its fine, no need to really grind it normalizes your gains somewhat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF2 pro tactic is to have one main frontliner (preferably Maria since she has the most starting agility and thus is the best evasion tank) and make your other two party members back-row mages once it gets to the point where they can't stay alive (for me it was around the cave near the Dragoon Castle). Only thing you should be actively going out of your way to grind are MP (Swap/Rasp help a ton with this) and Esuna ranks, everything else you can grind on the way between towns.

Also note some gear and most weapons and shields give huge penalties to spellcasting (unless it's the remakes, then it's only gear since they removed the penalties for weapons/shields). Light armor is better than heavy in every criteria possible.

Also this guide was invaluable for me when I last played the NES version.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why is reflect a time magic in ff12

why is this demon wall boss so goddamn hard out of nowhere

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

If it's your first time encountering the wall you can run away

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Relin posted:

why is reflect a time magic in ff12

why is this demon wall boss so goddamn hard out of nowhere

his movement and skills don't scale off of your selected combat speed so set it as high as possible to let your characters actually attack before dying

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you think about it it’s kinda bullshit you can never cheese Demon Wall with Soft in every game it’s in.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

beating the first demon wall isn't nearly as important in tza since they changed the chest so you don't get a badass sword for it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's a Demon Wall, right? Just exercise it. Couple of push-ups, sit-ups, and then its gone.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i killed it because luckily i had reflectega consumables but there's just a gem in the wall where he was that i cant do anything with

this loving game...

edit: square can't program and it worked after i came back after killing the second demon wall

Relin fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 18, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Relin posted:

i killed it because luckily i had reflectega consumables but there's just a gem in the wall where he was that i cant do anything with

this loving game...

edit: square can't program and it worked after i came back after killing the second demon wall

That's not a programming thing, the text on it says "BOTH guardians defeated" or something like that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ff15 just dropped the loving bomb

posing for prompto's sidequest and one of the things he said before getting a shot was, "say, fuzzy pickles"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The White Dragon posted:

ff15 just dropped the loving bomb

posing for prompto's sidequest and one of the things he said before getting a shot was, "say, fuzzy pickles"

Callback to a mediocre SNES RPG, nice.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

seiferguy posted:

i can't imagine what it must be like to go through life as such a joyless bumbaclot

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Hm I don't think they referenced Chrono Trigger though?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
ffxv is such a confusing experience, i liked the general gameplay, but the boss fights (loving leviathan) were mostly so, so bad and the part near the end where you lose your buddies and your weapons and are railroaded into some weird stealth poo poo is one of the most miserable gaming experiences i've ever had

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Doorknob Slobber posted:

ffxv is such a confusing experience, i liked the general gameplay, but the boss fights (loving leviathan) were mostly so, so bad and the part near the end where you lose your buddies and your weapons and are railroaded into some weird stealth poo poo is one of the most miserable gaming experiences i've ever had

Don't stealth in that section it's not actually hard to beat the enemies and it goes way quicker if you don't pussyfoot around. I assume it's even easier now that they buffed the Ring.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Also the devs acknowledged that entire area sucked so there's now another route through it. You get prompted which route you want to take when the paths diverge and then you get prompted again every time you hit a checkpoint as if to say "yo do you really want to keep doing this lovely route because it kind of sucks"

Personally I minded the incompleteness of Altissia a lot more than I minded Chapter 13 but that's just me. I did the original before the devs went in and kind of neutered everything. Was hardly my favorite part of the game but it made for a neat change and only slightly overstayed its welcome. Thematically speaking at least it was a pretty neat culmination of things going from bad to worse for Noctis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm at the point in the story where I head for Altissia, I think, and I'm not sure I want to continue given what I know about the rest of the game

It was mildly fun but I can't help but :shrug: when I think about the game as a whole, so the disappointment would probably just sour me