Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Perks are fine conceptually, but yeah they should all be unlocked by default or at the very least unlocked across the entire cast instead of per character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I wish they were just closer to grooves or isms or variants in MK3. I've never really enjoyed tiny percent bonuses.

Stuff like "your dodge is replaced with a parry" would be sick, but that's a lot of work to develop and implement I bet.

fadam fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 6, 2024

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I hope they add even more timers/cooldowns so there's a minimum of 5 unreadable boxes floating over my character at any given time.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Also, get rid of poo poo where both teammates having it make it radically better. Like the “Your team jumps % higher” becomes “your team now has a triple jump”, which became a lock-in for doubles unless you had an Iron Giant partner. And even then it was still a consideration because giving even one player that kind of movement option in the air was extremely powerful.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I can't wait to play more Taz and Garnet my beloveds

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Skeletome posted:

I can't wait to play more Taz and Garnet my beloveds

I was shocked at how fun Morty was. Once you start understanding how to really use his grenades and gun together it started to really click, + add in the ground spike that splits the grenades in too, so fun. Plus his giant smashy arm is great.

Stripe was also extremely fun. It was really lovely that nerfed him IMMEDIATELY

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
Perks sucked. Mostly because

1: they weren't all unlocked by default

2: they gave idiots reason to get angry at each others builds for being 'wrong', which could make random queue fun with a capital FU

That and the whiplash I got from their constant balance patches were my biggest complaints. But I still want a cool platform brawler on Steam, and this was the closest until it decided to implode. So I guess I'll keep an eye on what the hell they've been doing with it for a year.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Macaluso posted:

I was shocked at how fun Morty was. Once you start understanding how to really use his grenades and gun together it started to really click, + add in the ground spike that splits the grenades in too, so fun. Plus his giant smashy arm is great.

Stripe was also extremely fun. It was really lovely that nerfed him IMMEDIATELY

Yes to all of this. I really came around on Reindog near the end too, amazing zoning potential and spiking with him felt great.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cooldowns as a core mechanic in a fighting game were insanely dumb imo, rework movesets so characters can just use their moves freely like Smash

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

doesn't like every other fighting game have like a super meter or expendable resources? Isn't that basically just another flavor of cooldown? Also Wario's Fart in smash is basically on a cooldown

idk, I don't remember cooldowns bothering me too much, but I don't blame anyone for not liking them, just feels like they create very different balance levers that aren't easily converted into freely usable moves.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

brainSnakes posted:

But I still want a cool platform brawler on Steam

Rivals 2 looks EXTREMELY good and as close to how Smash specifically plays and moves than any other platform fighter so far, but I'm only going off video and haven't personally gotten my hands on it. I want to play the elephant so bad

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
Rivals 2 is on my wishlist because I agree, it looks amazing. I never actually played the original against anyone, but I did buy it on sale just to see what was up. And I gotta say Snake Lady Piloting a Mech is an instant main for me if she shows up in the new game, regardless of how good she is

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

doesn't like every other fighting game have like a super meter or expendable resources? Isn't that basically just another flavor of cooldown? Also Wario's Fart in smash is basically on a cooldown

idk, I don't remember cooldowns bothering me too much, but I don't blame anyone for not liking them, just feels like they create very different balance levers that aren't easily converted into freely usable moves.

Smash has a few cooldowns or meters on specific moves, but the vast majority of them can be used freely. Throttling a whole ton of your regular moves feels really bad and MOBAy imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oxyclean posted:

doesn't like every other fighting game have like a super meter or expendable resources? Isn't that basically just another flavor of cooldown?

Usually those are tied to things like dealing/taking damage, not just waiting 10 seconds or w/e

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rivals 1 and Slap City are both good platform fighters on Steam.

Ori (from the former) and Goddess of Explosions are basically my favorite platform fighter characters of all time.

Definitely looking forward to trying Rivals 2. Was pretty obvious she was going to be around, but glad Clairen is confirmed since she's probably my second favorite.

No Dignity posted:

Smash has a few cooldowns or meters on specific moves, but the vast majority of them can be used freely. Throttling a whole ton of your regular moves feels really bad and MOBAy imo

Again, not entirely disagreeing, but I thought it was kind of interesting cause it made for a very different feeling fighter. Unique is not always good, but iunno, sort of nice to try to see someone not just make a 1:1 smash clone in mechanics.

e: Like cooldowns allow for different balancing, as opposed to "well this strong move just has a lot of windup" or "this strong move leaves you really open afterwards" or "this strong move requires you to find time to charge it up, so just lame it out on the backline" (not saying those are the only ways of balance, but it means another way to balance a strong move.)

Though cooldowns definitely can lead towards BS like "run away when your big move is on cooldown"

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 6, 2024

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I think their complaint is less "cooldowns exist" so much as it felt like the default response from the devs to "this move seems kind of overwhelming" was to add a cooldown to it, rather than any of those other options.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The patching cycle was extremely hyperactive and reactionary. You can tell the team didn't have a wealth of fighting game experience and fell back on other genres when they encountered design issues and undesired emergent properties.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

cooldowns reward passive play and they are a cheap band-aid for balancing issues

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

My counter point is that multiversus had the best solution to projectile spamming playstyles and it was Taz <3

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

The patching cycle was extremely hyperactive and reactionary. You can tell the team didn't have a wealth of fighting game experience and fell back on other genres when they encountered design issues and undesired emergent properties.

Yeah this is what killed the game extremely quickly, felt like like every two weeks the overtly friendly lead dev would just listen to whatever maniacs on twitter told him and then you would get a huge bucket of nerfs for whatever character was bugging people that week. There was no meta to develop, instead you’d just be constantly confused with the character you played yesterday now having like six changes to its moveset and now every loving move has a cooldown.

My tldr is that Lead Dev Tony should put his twitter on mute and not listen to anyone for the first four months

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Wasn’t the issue that balance was hosed on all ends? Yeah I remember the dev being hyper reactive but wasn’t it also necessary for them to be reactive as, like, Taz was crazy at the beginning, then Velma was insane after they tweaked that, kinda thing.

They never really found any balance, but the cooldown poo poo definitely wasn’t it.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Taz and velma were cool. People just dont want to learn a character matchup and just whine instead. You absolutely could bait out his side b and punish him for it, did it a lot in the alpha build. They didnt need to destroy his signature move

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Including 1v1s and balancing due to complaints about 1v1 matchups was a mistake

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
looking at stickers from brawl and custom moves from smash 4 and thinking "i can fix them" while making them worse

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FireWorksWell posted:

Including 1v1s and balancing due to complaints about 1v1 matchups was a mistake

I don't want to play doubles. I don't care about the balancing, but I wouldn't touch the game if it was only doubles

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Macaluso posted:

I don't want to play doubles. I don't care about the balancing, but I wouldn't touch the game if it was only doubles

That's fair, I know there are people who exclusively play singles in this and I definitely get it. I tried it but it just was not for me, compared to doing 1v1s online in Smash. I just dislike when it affects the actual concept of the game because people focus on it and the devs go off those complaints.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I have no idea why they felt the need for such an insane 2 week release schedule for characters AND patches. Even something like League of Legends releases a new character every 1.5 months.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

It was pretty funny that they only released one new character in season 2 after like, six in season 1. (Unless I missed someone after Marvin)

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

mycot posted:

I have no idea why they felt the need for such an insane 2 week release schedule for characters AND patches. Even something like League of Legends releases a new character every 1.5 months.

Notably LoL DID have a period where they were shoving out champs every two weeks or so -- and most of them were much maligned and so many of them have had to get reworks so they're actually distinct characters!!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Rivals 1 and Slap City are both good platform fighters on Steam.

Ori (from the former) and Goddess of Explosions are basically my favorite platform fighter characters of all time.

Definitely looking forward to trying Rivals 2. Was pretty obvious she was going to be around, but glad Clairen is confirmed since she's probably my second favorite.

Again, not entirely disagreeing, but I thought it was kind of interesting cause it made for a very different feeling fighter. Unique is not always good, but iunno, sort of nice to try to see someone not just make a 1:1 smash clone in mechanics.

e: Like cooldowns allow for different balancing, as opposed to "well this strong move just has a lot of windup" or "this strong move leaves you really open afterwards" or "this strong move requires you to find time to charge it up, so just lame it out on the backline" (not saying those are the only ways of balance, but it means another way to balance a strong move.)

Though cooldowns definitely can lead towards BS like "run away when your big move is on cooldown"

Agree. I don’t mind cooldowns either. It allows big powerful moves like for example Black Adam’s shield that could never exist otherwise.

They did go overboard though. Using the same character: Black Adam’s lightning lasso thing did not need a cooldown. It could be balanced easily without it, it already had plenty of lag IIRC.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Remember that the game launched with everyone’s hurtbox being a loving hotdog stretched or squashed to their height.

And hitboxes for attacks were widely broken. So they either better have cleaned them up or changed Superman’s grab animation to hold you betwixt his cheeks of steel when you somehow get hit by it from behind him

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The worst part of the constant balance patches was that they only ever made characters worse. Coupled with the rapid balance patches, every couple of weeks went from excitement over changes to annoyance that your favorite character got nerfed.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

curiousCat posted:

Notably LoL DID have a period where they were shoving out champs every two weeks or so -- and most of them were much maligned and so many of them have had to get reworks so they're actually distinct characters!!

I think I remember this. And a League character is probably significantly less complicated than a Smash-style character, so it's just hubris? Sheer terror of losing player retention?

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 7, 2024

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mycot posted:

I think I remember this. And a League character is probably significantly less complicated than a Smash-style character, so it's just hubris? Sheer terror of losing player retention?
Money. LoL characters had to be unlocked, they could always be purchased with game currency, but I'm pretty sure you could pay real money to get them too. Putting them out faster means it's harder for more hardcore players to keep up with game currency alone.

Couple that with an era where it felt like every new character was a touch on the OP side and you probably can drive more players into spending money on a new release.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Looks like something will drop on Monday

https://x.com/multiversus/status/1766214837929984199?s=20

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I hope they have something substantial to show and it's not just like a 30 second trailer of one new character

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I hope they have something substantial to show and it's not just like a 30 second trailer of one new character

there will be a 30 second clip of nothing but the Breaking Bad intro twang

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Yx-Cz0l9U

I saw concept art for Dexter's Lab and Townsville in there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Coney more or less shared the same feelings I have

https://x.com/coney/status/1767184445407212030?s=46&t=D43mFJSHH0rxuIO9HRRQrQ
https://x.com/coney/status/1767185729770160195?s=46&t=D43mFJSHH0rxuIO9HRRQrQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

the lighting looks different, and i think the animations look a bit more fluid? at least more than I remember. some poses looked more readable than before. like a proper polish pass done across all of that stuff.

i know the PPG were rumored, townsville seems to pretty much confirm that. dexter's lab being an arena is a really fun choice though, wonder if we're getting Dexter or Deedee.

is the 'showtime' voice line Rick says at the start of that a new recording or ripped from the show? i've been wondering if they'd get the new rick and morty VAs in to record character lines, since roiland never any MVS voicework did before he got the boot