Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you go full time teaching and you have anxiety issues, you will have that additional income (and health insurance) to provide you with support for it. You would be able to pay a therapist, get medication, take some sick days if you needed to. What if you student teach and your anxiety still causes issues? Are you going to have health coverage? Will you be able to get help? If you miss days, what happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Me, I'm amazed at the prospect of your spending only $8,000 across six months. I spend 2-3 times that over the same period. I'm not the most frugal person, but my savings rate far outpaces most other people my age (maxed 401k and Roth IRA, and full 15% to ESPP most of which eventually goes toward index funds).

I really ought to get a steady roommate again, cook more, and drive less. Gotta get my "don't eat out today" in higher gear... especially considering I went out to eat today with my team at work. But at least I took half home for a second meal!

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

spwrozek posted:

If you can just go teach and make money why wouldn't you (anxiety issues and all). This is what most people do after their degree.

Student teaching sucks, and your first year of teaching sucks. If I could get them both out of the way at the same time while getting paid, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. I would make sure that you have a really good mentor figure in your department to bounce ideas off of though. That's really what the advantage of student teaching is in the first place.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SpelledBackwards posted:

Me, I'm amazed at the prospect of your spending only $8,000 across six months. I spend 2-3 times that over the same period.

Yeah that is crazy to me too...I guess you do what you have to do though.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

spwrozek posted:

Yeah that is crazy to me too...I guess you do what you have to do though.

There's this thing called "being poor" and it's a bummer, let me tell you.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

posh spaz posted:

There's this thing called "being poor" and it's a bummer, let me tell you.

Yes but he seems to have a choice.

I was poor in college and yes rice all the time, crappy moldy apartments, etc is indeed a bummer.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
It's not that hard to pull off if you live in a city that doesn't have modest rentals starting at $1700 a month.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

1300 a month is decently tough unless you have the perfect living situation and cheap travel to work.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You guys in places with high cost of living should consider moving to some place like Buffalo when you retire. You'll live like a king.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Um, then I'd have to live in Buffalo?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Dumb question about buying a new car/financing..

Does 0% APR for 60 months literally mean 0 interest for 60 months?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

lol internet. posted:

Dumb question about buying a new car/financing..

Does 0% APR for 60 months literally mean 0 interest for 60 months?

As long as you make the payments and are approved. You usually need a rather high credit score.

If you miss a payment though....

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Probably won't get the 0% but should be low hopefully. We've going to the same dealership we've done financing for in the just. Just strange, they call it APR instead of just interest.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Not weird. Interest rate can be specified as APR (usually, when you're borrowing) or APY (typical when you're earning). The difference depends on the compounding frequency. Zero is zero though.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

Me, I'm amazed at the prospect of your spending only $8,000 across six months. I spend 2-3 times that over the same period. I'm not the most frugal person, but my savings rate far outpaces most other people my age (maxed 401k and Roth IRA, and full 15% to ESPP most of which eventually goes toward index funds).

I really ought to get a steady roommate again, cook more, and drive less. Gotta get my "don't eat out today" in higher gear... especially considering I went out to eat today with my team at work. But at least I took half home for a second meal!

Ha, I'm really not some paragon of frugality. I live on around 1300 a month, and 769 of that is rent, though I'm in a pretty low cost-of-living area (San Marcos, TX, about 30 minutes south of Austin). I spend 100 bucks a month on fun, 140 on food (since I eat at work), and the rest goes to clothing, utilities, fuel, Netflix, etc. I'm very lucky because my parents insist on paying my cell bill despite my protests and I drive a paid-off car. I work around 30 hours a week and attend school full-time, so it's not like I have a huge amount of free time to spend money.

(Of course, if I move to NYC or Portland like I dream of, I'll have to spend a lot more. Bye, frugality.)

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! You confirmed my thoughts.

Pinball fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 14, 2014

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Pinball posted:

Ha, I'm really not some paragon of frugality. I live on around 1300 a month, and 769 of that is rent, though I'm in a pretty low cost-of-living area (San Marcos, TX, about 30 minutes south of Austin). I spend 100 bucks a month on fun, 140 on food (since I eat at work), and the rest goes to clothing, utilities, fuel, Netflix, etc. I'm very lucky because my parents insist on paying my cell bill despite my protests and I drive a paid-off car. I work around 30 hours a week and attend school full-time, so it's not like I have a huge amount of free time to spend money.

(Of course, if I move to NYC or Portland like I dream of, I'll have to spend a lot more. Bye, frugality.)

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! You confirmed my thoughts.

I'm not too far from you, in north Austin. But my mortgage is like 90% of your entire monthly expenses... I really ought to get a roommate again. And spend less on food.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

slap me silly posted:

Not weird. Interest rate can be specified as APR (usually, when you're borrowing) or APY (typical when you're earning). The difference depends on the compounding frequency. Zero is zero though.

Keep in mind that zero percent rate is coming from somewhere. It's really just the car company subsidizing the interest rate to be artificially low instead of lowering the price of the car.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Is this the thread to ask about financial advisors?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
We are your financial advisors. Lay it on.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Any suggestions for cheapest way to send CAD funds to a USD account in the US? (Including the conversion)

I used XE.com to send $2000 but it looks like the conversion tacked off about $65

Curious if there's any cheaper options.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
$65 on $2000 is what, 3.25%? That's not bad. Are you comparing the bid/ask rate or the mid-market rate? That could be your problem.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Denied for not having any credit history :ughh:

Welp, this is a bit of a catch-22. What other options are available?

To finally close this story up: Chase twice denied my credit card application, once online and once in person. Both times I was told that since I had no credit history I wasn't going to get a credit card; the second time, the banker at Chase told me that Chase doesn't really approve credit card applications for "thin" credit files unless the applicant has a bank balance of $10,000 or higher. Y'know, even if the applicant has direct deposit through their account and so on.

However, the mom-and-pop credit union I had used for a few years prior to opening an account with Chase wasn't too bad; I had been keeping the account open for various reasons even though I had moved everything to Chase. I applied online for a credit card with a lovely rewards program and no annual fee; they e-mailed me asking for pay stubs and I gave them up; they approved me for a $1000 limit and then sent my PIN mailer and credit card to two different addresses, causing my credit card to get sent back to their office and shredded. That's sorted out now, so I now get to experience the joys of being in debt for the sake of building up a credit history :woop:

And yes, I plan to pay it off every month. Hopefully they send my credit card bills to the right address. Thanks for the advice on credit cards, everyone!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That's sorted out now, so I now get to experience the joys of being in debt for the sake of building up a credit history :woop:

And yes, I plan to pay it off every month. Hopefully they send my credit card bills to the right address. Thanks for the advice on credit cards, everyone!

These two statements make no sense next to each other. If you always pay it off you will never be in debt to build credit...

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

spwrozek posted:

These two statements make no sense next to each other. If you always pay it off you will never be in debt to build credit...

:ssh: When you use a credit card, you are indebted to the credit card company until you pay off your balance, even if you do it on time.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

posh spaz posted:

$65 on $2000 is what, 3.25%? That's not bad. Are you comparing the bid/ask rate or the mid-market rate? That could be your problem.

Sorry this is just specific bank to bank transfer, and I was comparing the rate to just a google search.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

lol internet. posted:

Sorry this is just specific bank to bank transfer, and I was comparing the rate to just a google search.

If you just google "CAD to USD" you get a rate from SIX Financial Information. You can't ever buy or sell at that rate. It's most likely the mid-market rate, or the middle between the bid and ask prices for the entire FX market. That market is overwhelmingly dominated by huge players. If you're a huge multinational bank, your bid/ask spread will be pretty small, but for small transactions by private citizens, especially when using companies like XE that make their money off the spread, not on fees, then your spread is going to be larger. 3% seems pretty reasonable for that.

posh spaz fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 22, 2014

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

spwrozek posted:

This is not right at all, and it's the foundation of a lot of terrible advice.

You do not have to carry a balance on a credit card to build credit. In fact, it's actively bad for your credit, not to mention your finances, to carry a balance. The best way to build credit is to pay off your credit card in full every month, because two key numbers are utilization (you want this to be as low as possible - if you're maxed out on everything you've got, you're a poor risk for additional loans and lines of credit) and number of on-time payments (of course, you want this to be a nice big number to indicate a long history of responsibility). Carrying a balance drives up utilization compared to paying it off every month.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

pig slut lisa posted:

:ssh: When you use a credit card, you are indebted to the credit card company until you pay off your balance, even if you do it on time.

Not if you actually budget and you have the money and are just using them for cash back or miles or whatever. Yes you are technically correct but let's not get too crazy.

Space Gopher posted:

This is not right at all, and it's the foundation of a lot of terrible advice.

You do not have to carry a balance on a credit card to build credit. In fact, it's actively bad for your credit, not to mention your finances, to carry a balance. The best way to build credit is to pay off your credit card in full every month, because two key numbers are utilization (you want this to be as low as possible - if you're maxed out on everything you've got, you're a poor risk for additional loans and lines of credit) and number of on-time payments (of course, you want this to be a nice big number to indicate a long history of responsibility). Carrying a balance drives up utilization compared to paying it off every month.

Huh? He said he was going to be in debt to build credit and then said he was going to pay it off every month. Those 2 don't quite make sense together (unless you get all crazy technical about it).

I never suggested that he carry a balance, that is just plain stupidity.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
My understanding from the thread has been that in order to build credit, I should move a lot of my regular debit card purchases to a credit card and pay off the credit card in full every month. I still don't like being in debt, but I'm guessing that that's what a credit history's about -- about showing that you can handle owing money without going apeshit and bankrupting yourself in the excitement that you don't have to pay it all off right away.

I've heard some conflicting opinions about that outside the thread, usually from people who talk about what was said by such and such dude on the AM radio, like it's some kind of weird "beat the system" mentality that if you keep exactly the right percentage on your credit card balance your credit score will skyrocket. It just doesn't ring right with me. Besides, I hate paying interest. I suppose I'll have to deal with interest if and when my old-rear end car shits itself or I get a house, but until then, I see it as money down the drain.

I've spent most of my adult life paying for everything with a debit card, and I see credit cards as very similar except that instead of the charge hitting my bank account right away it has to be paid a few weeks later and unless I pay it off at that point some bad poo poo's going to happen -- interest charges, lasting impacts to my credit score, and so on. Even still, if I spend a hundred bucks on October 10, just because it doesn't appear until my October 26th credit card statement doesn't mean it's not a liability before then.

I felt great about my finances when I was just keeping a bizarrely high balance in my debit card-linked bank account and tracking all my charges on a spreadsheet (with recurring charges tracked and monthly limits on discretionary expenditures). It might a bit harder now, depending on how many expenditures I move to the credit card and its crappy rewards package, but I'm hoping it'll be worth the hassle.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

I've heard some conflicting opinions about that outside the thread, usually from people who talk about what was said by such and such dude on the AM radio, like it's some kind of weird "beat the system" mentality that if you keep exactly the right percentage on your credit card balance your credit score will skyrocket.
IIRC The ideal utilization is non-zero but still small. The personal finance subreddit FAQ says this:

quote:

Keep your debt burden low. Contrary to conventional wisdom, FICO actually rewards consumers for paying down debt, keeping their debt levels low, and even paying down the balances on their loans. On revolving accounts (credit cards), the best utilization is somewhere between 1-9% (rounded up to the next integer).
But you can still pay off your credit cards completely every month and have non-zero utilization, plus I think the impact on your score relative to having zero utilization is pretty small anyway.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

spwrozek posted:

Not if you actually budget and you have the money and are just using them for cash back or miles or whatever. Yes you are technically correct but let's not get too crazy.

Huh? He said he was going to be in debt to build credit and then said he was going to pay it off every month. Those 2 don't quite make sense together (unless you get all crazy technical about it).

I never suggested that he carry a balance, that is just plain stupidity.

It's not "crazy technical", it's literally how credit cards function.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

MrKatharsis posted:

We are your financial advisors. Lay it on.

Mostly asking to see if they're worth hiring.

For the first time ever my GF and I will both be working full time in reasonably well paid jobs. Our money already automatically goes to superannuation pre-tax. So we're looking at what to do with our left over money.

We won't be buying a house to live in for a few years (9 years at best) because she will be moving around a lot for surgical training (possibly a new state every 6 months). Getting a financial advisor is one option that has been floated.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

pig slut lisa posted:

Correct, but then again you are also technically in debt for a short amount of time when you eat at a restaurant, have a mechanic fix your car, use a normal cellphone plan, have TV, internet, trash, electrical, gas, sewage, or any other service that bills in arrears. It's just a weird way to think about finances.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Correct, but then again you are also technically in debt for a short amount of time when you eat at a restaurant, have a mechanic fix your car, use a normal cellphone plan, have TV, internet, trash, electrical, gas, sewage, or any other service that bills in arrears. It's just a weird way to think about finances.
Understanding that a credit card balance (even one that isn't due yet and hasn't cost you any interest yet) is debt is not "weird" it is just accepting reality. You have the credit card balance because you've made payments with someone else's money (the card issuers money) and you are indebted to them until you pay off the balance. How is that not debt? You don't have to incur a cost of borrowing for it to be debt. Debt is an obligation to repay funds that were advanced to you by some other party. That is exactly what is happening when you made payments with a credit card and now you owe the card issuer a balance. The fact that the debt has a due date and you will avoid incurring any cost of borrowing by paying before the due date does not make it somehow not debt. There's really nothing odd about it. Like somebody said above me, it is literally just how credit cards work.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
You just never hear anyone say they are experiencing the joys of being in debt when they pay their monthly cable or electric bill, yet the mechanism is the same.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Well let's not lose sight of the context of all this. This talk started because somebody said they were "experiencing the joys of debt" (hehehe) - specifically using a credit card - in order to build a credit history. I giggle because the phrase "experiencing the joys of debt" is pretty melodramatic for interest free debt like a credit card balance paid in full on time. But forget phrasing, they said they are creating debt by using the credit card (true) because it will help them build a credit history (true.)

Then the debate was kicked off when somebody else said that makes no sense. They said "If you always pay it off you will never be in debt to build credit..." which implies two things that are both incorrect. First implication, if you pay on time you never actually get into debt. Incorrect as I discussed in my previous post. Second implication, if you do pay on time you aren't building your credit history. Extremely incorrect, as discussed a lot in this thread and forum already.

Getting back to the comparison to utilities that bill you after you've already used the service. I see two main differences that stop people from typically referring to those obligations as debt even though as you pointed out they aren't that different. One difference, you haven't been advanced actual money that you have to pay back like with a credit card or a loan. You've been provided a service or a product and you still have to pay for it. Maybe kind of arbitrary but it's a difference.

The second difference is in my opinion more relevant to the context at hand, building a credit history. Paying utility bills/cable bills etc generally does not help build a credit history/credit rating because those service providers typically do not report anything at all to the credit bureaus until the point where a past-due account has gone into collections. Which is why it is standard advice to get a credit card or line of credit to build a credit history rather than just telling people to pay their bills on time. At least in Canada this is the case. Not totally sure about elsewhere.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 22, 2014

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

EvilElmo posted:

For the first time ever my GF and I will both be working full time in reasonably well paid jobs. Our money already automatically goes to superannuation pre-tax. So we're looking at what to do with our left over money.

We won't be buying a house to live in for a few years (9 years at best) because she will be moving around a lot for surgical training (possibly a new state every 6 months). Getting a financial advisor is one option that has been floated.

Which country's tax laws are you under? The reason I ask is the word superannuation isn't commonly used in the US.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Anyone have any thoughts or insight on the Amex Serve card system? $1 a month for that ease of use and app seems like a good deal to me, I am working on rebuilding my credit/financial security and dislike the credit union I used to use.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

nelson posted:

Which country's tax laws are you under? The reason I ask is the word superannuation isn't commonly used in the US.

I assume AUS or NZ. I've never heard of that in America either, but I have some Aussie friends who referred to pensions using that term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

EvilElmo posted:

If long term, you can do some investing. I would do my own research and not pay a fee-only adviser for what I can learn myself. If you aren't comfortable with the notion of being in control of your own money, I would suggest you look for a few fee-only advisers in your city and interview them.