Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

bitterandtwisted posted:

Carrie (1976)

The opening credits is a shower-room full of naked girls frolicking. It's extremely trashy and the juxtaposition with Carrie's nude scene immediately after, which is a serious and distressing one, is very weird and doesn't work for me.

Have you considered that it's not trashy, and that the juxtaposition is that the other girls are actually comfortable with their bodies and each other, whereas Carrie is still innocent to a fault and terrified of her body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Have you considered that it's not trashy, and that the juxtaposition is that the other girls are actually comfortable with their bodies and each other, whereas Carrie is still innocent to a fault and terrified of her body?

I get that and I suppose I overstated my opinion.

Maybe because it was the opening credits it felt more tacky to me? Like that was the opening hook for the film, soapy naked girls flicking each other with wet towels.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

bitterandtwisted, See King Kong.

Just saw A Day at the Races. Good Marx Brothers movie. Not one of their best, but very funny. A little more actiony than a lot of their films. Enjoyed the horse race and the musical numbers were very good.

My List:
The Shootist - Feel like it's time for another John Wayne movie.

Lost In Translation

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen - Been a while since I saw a Terry Gilliam movie.

The General - Never saw a Buster Keaton movie.

The Cocoanuts - Working my way through the Marx Brothers movies. This is their first movie. NEWEST

The Cat Returns - Need to see some more Studio Ghibli. Sequel to Whisper of the Heart OLDEST

Stray Dog - Starting to run out of Kurosawa films. What a great director.

Oklahoma - Don't know anything about it. Next on my musicals list.

Die Nibelungen - Interested in seeing another Fritz Lang picture.

Shadow of a Doubt - More Hitchcock here.

King Creole - Adding a new slot here for Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles movies. Starting with one of Elvis'.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers, The Great Dictator, Despicable Me, The Bad Sleep Well, The Wolf Man, Nosferatu, Patton, Howl's Moving Castle, The King and I, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Kiki's Delivery Service, The King's Speech, Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, The Graduate, Whisper of the Heart, The 39 Steps, Ran, Notorious, True Grit, North By Northwest, Rope, Dersu Uzala, Vertigo, Avatar, Gangs of New York, House of Wax, Wall Street, Life of Pi, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari,The Big Lebowski, Dial M for Murder, V For Vendetta, King Kong, Dodesukaden, Labyrinth, Reds,Seven Brides for Seven Brothers,Strangers on a Train,The Fast and the Furious, Faust, Eraserhead, A Day at the Races

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dmitri Russkie posted:

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen - Been a while since I saw a Terry Gilliam movie.

While Brazil is still my favorite, this is one of his bests.

The French Connection (1971; W. Friedkin)

This could have been called The Running Man! :smug:

The majority of this movie is chases, stalking, and more chases. Lots of running around. It manages to keep up the tension without modern conventions that are seemingly mandatory, like a loud bass and percussion heavy soundtrack, fast camera, quick cuts, etc. Though the camera moves with the characters, running alongside them (until the characters leave them behind), most of the framing is detached from the action; The Raid, for instance, keeps the characters as close to the camera to fill up the frame (while keeping the action clear) and add to the claustrophobia and the danger. The French Connection is quieter. It's plot is simple: two law enforcers from the narcotics division want a big break. Popeye has a hunch that a major drug deal is happening with some elites and business owners he's familiar with, and he wants to do anything he can to prove it. The rest of the movie, we follow Popeye's investigation as he tries to piece everything together. He grows in desperation, paranoia, and grows more dangerous and reckless as he gets closer to a truth. However, he isn't our only perspective. We do get to see the drug deals happen. These moments confused me quite a bit, if only because I wonder (especially with how the film concludes), if these moments are factual and happen, or if we are embracing Popeye's theories beyond what's actually there. That level of doubt is fully within the film's intention, I believe. Popeye, though he his intentions provide a pragmatic good, his attempts to get answers are frankly dangerous and just as harmful as the drug dealer's he wants to bring to light. The third act begins with a fantastic bang wit--the introduction of a sniper--which sets off the action that the film is notorious for. It's a drat good final act. It's a shame that a movie like this wouldn't get made today. It doesn't glorify any of the police officers. The police procedural aspects are dry (as they should be; Popeye doesn't seem to care for them). Most of the action is stalking, looking for clues, following people without trying to get caught. And yet the stakes feel high once they're set in place.

Owen Roizman's cinematography is fantastic. There were a lot of cool framing devices that really clicked with me. A favorite of mine is, after the big car/train chase scene, the camera focuses on Popeye standing in the street looking up at the train, then pans to see the sniper exit the train. Then we do quick cuts between the two as they start walking. The second time we cut to Popeye, the camera pans up again, and we see the sniper has made his way to the top of the stairs. Excellent excellent excellent.

Also, Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider kill it in their roles.

My List

In The Mood For Love (2000; Wong Kar-wai; Criterion) - (1.4.18) Chris Doyle cinematography? Beautiful melancholy? I also need to explore more Asian cinema, and this is a Hong Kong classic.

Sideways (2004; A. Payne) - (11.19.17) Can it really be as good as everyone says it is? I liked Nebraska and About Schmidt

Monsier Hulot's Holiday (1953; J. Tati; Criterion) - (11.7.17) A lot of my favorite director's love this little comedy, and I needed something on this list from the 50's

Akira (1988; Katsuhiro Ōtomo) - (8.31.17) I wanted to add some classic animated movies I haven't seen, this being the BIG one I've missed out on.

Stranger Than Paradise (1984; J. Jarmusch; Criterion) - (8.25.17) I love everything I've seen of Jim Jarmusch, which only amounts to 5 films. This is his first film. I've only seen the first 15 minutes.

Philadelphia (1993; J. Demme) - (8.21.17) Trying to fill in my Jonathan Demme gaps. A huge moment in Tom Hanks's career that seems to have been forgotten by modern audiences. (Currently on Prime)

Tootsie (1982; S. Pollack; Criterion) - (8.1.17) A comedy classic(?) I've never seen. I like Dustin Hoffman in everything I've seen him in, but he's not someone I seek out.

In Cold Blood (1967; R. Brooks; Criterion) - (6.29.17) I've read the book, which I enjoyed. I know the movie looks great, I've seen the famous window rain show. I own it on blu-ray.

The Thin Red Line (1998; T. Malick; Criterion) - (6.27.17) My only Terrence Malick film I've seen is Tree of Life, which I really enjoyed.

Fitzcarraldo (1982; W. Herzog; Criterion) - (6.23.17) The other big Werner Herzog narrative I haven't seen.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List; Ikiru; F for Fake; Raging Bull; The Seventh Seal; Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Lawrence of Arabia; The French Connection
Letterboxd

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

In The Mood For Love (2000; Wong Kar-wai; Criterion) - (1.4.18) Chris Doyle cinematography? Beautiful melancholy? I also need to explore more Asian cinema, and this is a Hong Kong classic.
:swoon:

Moonlight - There are some very big emotional moments in this one and each of them is completely earned. It's a very personal story, and the building of a character through a series of individual memories rather than plot structure does so much to encourage an emotional connection to and understanding of Chiron. The performances are all flawless and the structure leaves it without a real lead, definitely one of the greatest ensemble casts. Jenkins has talked about the influence of Wong Kar-wai on him and I can definitely see it. From the lack of a real narrative to the really beautiful way it translates human connection and memory to the screen and then the cinematography too. I don't know how this was in the conversation for best director and cinematography and didn't win. Every frame is stunning and the camera movement perfectly hits the dreamy mood of so much of it. 5/5

Barry Jenkins seems like a good guy (thread):
https://twitter.com/BarryJenkins/status/948711536415199233

List:

Early Summer - watched Late Spring earlier this year and really need to catch up on Ozu

Ran - it's been a while since I've watched any Kurosawa, need to finish off the big ones

Yi Yi - I've realized Edward Yang is the best, and this is his most well-known. I think it is also the only Chinese-language film in the Criterion Collection (a depressingly short list) I haven't seen

Goodbye, Dragon Inn - been watching a lot of Taiwanese films lately, I should probably check out Tsai Ming-liang. Also it's probably not too relevant, but I loved Dragon Inn

Rio Bravo - know the song, never saw the film

Blood and Black Lace - horror

The Act of Killing - need a documentary slot on here and this one has been on my list since it came out. Pick this and I'll do a double feature with The Look of Silence

The Music Room - probably not the recommended place to start with Satyajit Ray, but I bought it and should really watch it

Les Vampires - need to watch more silents and I just saw Irma Vep and loved it

Adaptation - Kaufman + Cage

Completed(21): A Nightmare on Elm Street [4/5], Vertigo [5/5], Repulsion [4/5], Last Year at Marienbad [5/5], Blade Runner[4/5], Akira [5/5], Rear Window [5/5], A Brighter Summer Day [5/5], Rosemary's Baby [5/5], Close Encounters of the Third Kind [4/5], The Godfather Part 2 [5/5], Citizen Kane [5/5], Godzilla [5/5], Psycho [5/5], The Exorcist [4/5], The Blair Witch Project [4/5], Cléo from 5 to 7 [5/5], Faces [4/5], North by Northwest [4/5], Moonlight [5/5]
letterboxd

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Here you go

FancyMike posted:

The Act of Killing - need a documentary slot on here and this one has been on my list since it came out. Pick this and I'll do a double feature with The Look of Silence

King Kong (1933)

White explorers meeting black natives in a 1933 film had the potential to age horribly, and although I did notice a woman in a coconut bra, the natives were at least sympathetic and human, unlike Jackson's natives who were like weird aliens.
The stop motion is wonderful. I loved the Harryhausen films as a child for their sense of scale and adventure and we have that here in abundance.
The effects are creative and varied and although it's easy to see how they were done now, the sincerity behind the filmmaking shines through, giving it an enduring charm. There are no winks to the camera.
The acting is maybe a bit wooden, but that seems to be just the acting style of the era.

I know they completed the sequel, Son of Kong, just nine months later :psyduck:
I should check that out some time.

My List:

1) (highest ranked imdb) Life is Beautiful

2) (classic comedy) Annie Hall I've never seen a Woody Allen film

3) (animation) The Lord of the Rings (1978) The books and Jackson's films were favourites of my childhood/teenage years and I'd like to see this oddball one.

4) (Academy Award winner) The Sting It sounds like a fun caper

5) (foreign language) Bicycle Thieves It's been kind of on my radar for a while

6) (war) Das Boot A war seen from the other side

7) (Horror) Blair Witch Project (1999) The film that launched a whole subgenre

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Forbidden Planet Robbie the Robot looks adorable

9) (epic) Ben Hur (1959) Probably the first thing that comes into my head when I think of the term 'epic film'

10) (wildcard) Deliverance :banjo:

Watched (15): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933)

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 5, 2018

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

bitterandtwisted posted:

6) (war) Das Boot A war seen from the other side

It's been a long time, but I remember this being quite good.

At long last, I completed my assignment.

So, A Touch of Zen was wonderful. A magical piece of cinema. It's always a great feeling to encounter a movie that you know is one of the best you've seen in a long while from the opening frame. It's a simple enough story - a simple local scholar gets tied up in helping a young woman on the run from corrupt government forces, she just so happens to be an expert with a blade. Anyway, I love everything about it. I love the gender dynamics being shifted, the fight scene choreography, the monks, the "ghosts". I love the build...it reminds me that an action movie doesn't need constant, frenetic goings-on (this is an oversimplified description of today's action scene, obviously). Despite the epic runtime, I could have continued watching this story unfold for another three hours - after the primary narrative involving the scholar is more or less wrapped up, the movie pivots and continues for close to an hour. I'm not complaining,. It just felt like the beginning of something more, though the conclusion is just as satisfying as the rest of the film. Basically, I need more wuxia in my life.

LIST O SHAME

1) Walkabout - One of the first Criterion DVD spine numbers and a hell of a great cover.

2) The White Ribbon - It's taken me a long time to get into Haneke, but I want to keep going.

3) Paprika - Anime from the creator of Perfect Blue, which I was a fan of. Figured I should see another.

4) The Exterminating Angel - I've barely dipped my toe into Bunuel's filmography.

5) Starman - One of the only remaining John Carpenter movies for me to see.

6) Harvey - Always thought this looked super hokey...but I like Jimmy Stewart and this is generally beloved, but I need a push.

7) Topsy Turvy - Ahhh Mike Leigh, looks less downtrodden than some of his work, but I'm still generally a novice with him.

8) Joint Security Area - I've seen, and loved, most of Park Chan-wook's movies, but haven't seen this one.

9) All That Jazz - Bob Fosse is a blind spot.

10) La Silence de La Mer - Jean Pierre Melville is excellent. I've liked everything I've seen.

SHAME BE GONE (PART DEUX): Top Secret!, Yi Yi, New York New York, Rio Bravo, Dogtooth, Song of the Sea, The Fog, A Touch of Zen (Total: 8)

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Ratedargh posted:

So, A Touch of Zen was wonderful.
This movie is so great, not just the action but, like you mentioned, the major shift it takes before ending is magical.

I think the story goes that King Hu had a fight over the end of Come Drink With Me with the Shaw Brothers and that's why it ends with the male hero getting the final fight rather than Cheng Pei-Pei as it should have. And so he left Hong Kong for Taiwan. His first Taiwan picture, Dragon Inn is a little more straightforward than A Touch of Zen (it doesn't take a hard turn deep into spirituality) but still very good. Janus has rights for Dragon Inn so hopefully it will get a Criterion release soon, but Eureka has it out on blu-ray in the UK and will also be putting out Legend of the Mountain this year (haven't seen that one).

I haven't seen a ton of wuxia but those three by King Hu are all incredibly good. Wong Kar-wai's Ashes of Time and Hou Hsiao-hsien's The Assassin are two more modern takes on the genre that I really like.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Oh, I loved The Assassin! Still need to see Ashes of Time, though. It'll probably appear on my shameful list sometime soon.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Oh I forgot John Woo too. Last Hurrah for Chivalry is pretty good it's very similar to his heroic bloodshed movies just with swords instead of guns. Complete with a major fight near the end in a room with a shitload of candles. And I enjoyed Red Cliff quite a bit as a historical epic with good wuxia action.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Ratedargh posted:

1) Walkabout - One of the first Criterion DVD spine numbers and a hell of a great cover.

Metropolis (1927):
This movie was incredible. The connections between the apocalyptic sections of the bible and the plot were very cool, the sets were beautiful and poetic, and the expressionist style ages so well.
I thought the film’s thesis about a mediator between the upper crust and the workers was a little naive, so it doesn’t succeed on the level of political/historical criticism, in my opinion. But god drat, were the sets incredible. A vision of workers being fed to a machine monster, a human clock, a proto-terminator… incredible.

LIST:

1. Strike (1925): Communist propaganda? Nice going, Eisenstein!

2. Gone With the Wind (1939): My mom really likes it.

3. Gaslight (1944): Not Gas Light or Gaslight (1940), but Gaslight (1944).

4. Tokyo Story (1953): Never seen an Ozu.

5. 8 1/2 (1963): This is a movie about a guy who’s loving up his movie. Basically, it’s the first draft of 2008’s Tropic Thunder.

6. Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975): For whatever reason, I have a special place for films that delve into brutality. The first time I saw Irreversible, for example, it blew my mind - I never knew that a movie could or would go that far. It seems to me that Salò is something like the originator of that genre. I’m interested.

7. Do the Right Thing (1989): Joint, Spike Lee

8. Showgirls (1995): Last 90s Verhoeven I haven’t seen, blurring the line between ironic exploitation and genuinely bad movie.

9. Gran Torino (2008): “Retired auto worker and Korean War vet Walt Kowalski (Clint Eastwood) fills emptiness in his life with beer and home repair...” the most masculine film ever made?

10. Hell or High Water (2016): It’s been recommended to me and it has the same writer as Sicario.

De-Shamed: Scarface (1983); The King of Comedy (1982); Taxi Driver (1976); Jackie Brown (1997); The Third Man (1949); Escape from New York (1981); Mean Streets (1973); The Panic in Needle Park (1971); Sunset Boulevard (1950); The Fury (1978); Raging Bull (1980); Laura (1944); Psycho (1960); Citizen Kane (1941); Flesh+Blood (1985); Seven Samurai (1954); The Godfather (1972); City Lights (1931); Blade Runner (1982); Sunrise (1927); Modern Times (1936); The Wizard of Oz (1939); GoodFellas (1990); A History of Violence (2005); No Country for Old Men (2007); Scanners (1981); Bicycle Thieves (1948); Metropolis (1927)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

the_tasman_series posted:

2. Gone With the Wind (1939): My mom really likes it.

Try this next.

Ratedargh posted:

So, A Touch of Zen was wonderful. A magical piece of cinema.

Basically, I need more wuxia in my life.

I always liked this segment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uALXfGvPLWc
That commander was a great villain.

Never Say Never Again - Sean Connery is back and this one acknowledges his character is aging with some health humor at his own expense. This one shares some commonalities with Thunderball. Bond hanging around the Bahamas searching for nukes and partaking in underwater adventures/shark chases etc.

There's a segment where Bond plays a video game against Largo that feels inspired by films such as TRON (1982) and it captures the video arcade craze at the time.

SPECTRE is featured again. Largo is one of the more passionate Bond villains so far in the series. He has a secret spy chamber where he spies on Domino (Kim Basinger) doing her workouts. Like most Bond villains he has a fatal flaw in that he won't kill Bond himself. So Bond has ample opportunity to escape in the usual ways. Fatima (Barbara Carrera) is another ineffective albeit memorable adversary considering all her assassination blunders.

It's a shame that Connery and Moore never starred in one of these together.

James Bond versus Godzilla (27/64 completed):

Godzilla vs. Gigan - Godzilla XII. Kind of interested to see this one as I've heard very little about it. Only twenty or so to go. 7/27/17

BBC Culture: The 100 Greatest American Films (99/100 completed):

#70 The Band Wagon - A musical comedy. 8/22/17

Esquire's 75 Movies Every Man Should See (64/74 completed):

#2 Slap Shot - Paul Newman plays hockey. 10/9/17

new #14 Runaway Train - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRtvqT_wMeY 1/5/18

#17 Lone Star (1996) - I've heard it's an underwatched one. 12/1/17

#21 Johnny Dangerously - Michael Keaton turns to crime. 12/1/17

#47 Down by Law - A prison escape. 12/10/17

#50 Gone Baby Gone - Sounds somewhat similar to Mystic River. 11/6/17

#51 The Big Kahuna - Something about salesmen. 12/19/17

#66 Run Silent, Run Deep - Supposedly a premier submarine film. 10/20/17

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Zogo posted:

#2 Slap Shot - Paul Newman plays hockey. 10/9/17
this

The Act of Killing - This movie made me feel bad. There's a title at the beginning that mentions 'direct aid of western governments' and the one thing I wished Oppenheimer would have done would be to explore at least a bit the global cold war context of what happened. As is I think the film makes it easy to view as a unique atrocity rather than the normal state of affairs for all of human history continuing through the present. Tough to watch and the gleeful recreations of genocide and then the long list of anonymous credits were very affecting. I watched the followup The Look of Silence as well and feel very similarly about that one. Not sure how well it would work on its own though, as it's even lighter on context than the first. 5/5

List:

Early Summer - watched Late Spring earlier this year and really need to catch up on Ozu

Ran - it's been a while since I've watched any Kurosawa, need to finish off the big ones

Yi Yi - I've realized Edward Yang is the best, and this is his most well-known. I think it is also the only Chinese-language film in the Criterion Collection (a depressingly short list) I haven't seen

Goodbye, Dragon Inn - been watching a lot of Taiwanese films lately, I should probably check out Tsai Ming-liang. Also it's probably not too relevant, but I loved Dragon Inn

Rio Bravo - know the song, never saw the film

Blood and Black Lace - horror

The Music Room - probably not the recommended place to start with Satyajit Ray, but I bought it and should really watch it

Les Vampires - need to watch more silents and I just saw Irma Vep and loved it

Gates of Heaven - documentaries

Completed(21): A Nightmare on Elm Street [4/5], Vertigo [5/5], Repulsion [4/5], Last Year at Marienbad [5/5], Blade Runner[4/5], Akira [5/5], Rear Window [5/5], A Brighter Summer Day [5/5], Rosemary's Baby [5/5], Close Encounters of the Third Kind [4/5], The Godfather Part 2 [5/5], Citizen Kane [5/5], Godzilla [5/5], Psycho [5/5], The Exorcist [4/5], The Blair Witch Project [4/5], Cléo from 5 to 7 [5/5], Faces [4/5], North by Northwest [4/5], Moonlight [5/5], The Act of Killing [5/5]
letterboxd

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FancyMike posted:

Easily one of my all-time favorites.

In The Mood For Love (2000; Wong Kar-Wai)

I have a lot of feelings from this movie, but it's hard to articulate them. It captures the complexities of unrequited love with charm, poignancy and melancholy. The main characters, Chow and Su, have a beautiful chemistry and connection, and yet can never fully indulge in their romance. The story's simplicity allows every other aspect of the film to shine. The acting is phenomenal, as I was lost in the romance with the leads. The editing is brilliant. The cinematography was clever, every frame was well crafted and original. The music was beautiful. Every aspect of the film deserves high praise.

The movie is still fresh in my mind, so hopefully as it settles and I have time to think about it, I can discuss it with more depth.

Wonderful movie.

My List

Stalker (1979; Andrei Tarkovsky; Criterion) - (1.12.18) Everyone says this is a beautiful masterpiece.

Sideways (2004; A. Payne) - (11.19.17) Can it really be as good as everyone says it is? I liked Nebraska and About Schmidt

Monsier Hulot's Holiday (1953; J. Tati; Criterion) - (11.7.17) A lot of my favorite director's love this little comedy, and I needed something on this list from the 50's

Akira (1988; Katsuhiro Ōtomo) - (8.31.17) I wanted to add some classic animated movies I haven't seen, this being the BIG one I've missed out on.

Stranger Than Paradise (1984; J. Jarmusch; Criterion) - (8.25.17) I love everything I've seen of Jim Jarmusch, which only amounts to 5 films. This is his first film. I've only seen the first 15 minutes.

Philadelphia (1993; J. Demme) - (8.21.17) Trying to fill in my Jonathan Demme gaps. A huge moment in Tom Hanks's career that seems to have been forgotten by modern audiences. (Currently on Prime)

Tootsie (1982; S. Pollack; Criterion) - (8.1.17) A comedy classic(?) I've never seen. I like Dustin Hoffman in everything I've seen him in, but he's not someone I seek out.

In Cold Blood (1967; R. Brooks; Criterion) - (6.29.17) I've read the book, which I enjoyed. I know the movie looks great, I've seen the famous window rain show. I own it on blu-ray.

The Thin Red Line (1998; T. Malick; Criterion) - (6.27.17) My only Terrence Malick film I've seen is Tree of Life, which I really enjoyed.

Fitzcarraldo (1982; W. Herzog; Criterion) - (6.23.17) The other big Werner Herzog narrative I haven't seen.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List; Ikiru; F for Fake; Raging Bull; The Seventh Seal; Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Lawrence of Arabia; The French Connection; In The Mood For Love
Letterboxd

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Goddamnit I watched the movie that was assigned me weeks ago and I forgot to post about it again. loving hell.

Fran you have the juiciest list in the thread as far as stuff I want to assign to you so that I can live vicariously through someone seeing them for the first time. Especially Stalker.

Edit: And now you have officially been assigned STALKER. Get your mind right, the Zone is no place for those who hesitate.

I watched A Man for All Seasons a while ago and then I guess I forgot that I watched it.

Anyway, the film caught my eye because I'd seen screenshots of the colorful and detailed period costumes, and also because I'm a big fan of Robert Shaw. Those two things ended up being two of the three main draws, while the third was a fairly unexpected performance by Paul Scofield, who I'd never heard of until now(and he won and Oscar for this role!). He's deeper, and more complex than Shaw here, which makes sense given the story but still he was a pleasant surprise.

Overall the film comes off like a stage play at times, mostly because it's an adaptation of one, but when the money is used in the right places I have no problem with that. They obviously went all out on the costumes, Shaw's in particular will blind you if you look directly at it.

So I did enjoy it quite a bit, although the story itself wasn't really doing it for me.

Fantasia: Definitely have seen most of this in bits and pieces as a kid, but never have actually sat down and watched it from start to finish.

Serpico: One of those movies where I know the end so it always held me back from watching it. Which is dumb.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: The story doesn't really interest me, which is why I've not seen it yet. But I love almost everything else Fincher's done so I should check it out.

The Illusionist: Not the Edward Norton film. The animated film by the same guy that made The Triplets of Bellville, which completely blew me away.

Bottle Rocket: I love Wes Anderson, and I've never seen his debut. Shameful.

Chappie: I got kinda sick of Blomkamp but I should probably still check this one out at some point

How to Steal A Million: Peter O'toole, so that's all I really need to know.

The Rainmaker: I've seen the Godfather films, Apocalypse Now, and Dracula. Apparently Coppola made a few other good movies.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 12, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Fran you have the juiciest list in the thread as far as stuff I want to assign to you so that I can live vicariously through someone seeing them for the first time. Especially Stalker.

That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me.

Don't get too excited, Stalker's another long one!

I'm gonna get going on writing up Man of All Seasons so someone may jump in before I can do it though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Don't get too excited, Stalker's another long one!

I'm gonna get going on writing up Man of All Seasons so someone may jump in before I can do it though.

I've been on a long-movie streak lately. So if it happens, I'm ready.

:getin:

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

and yet can never fully indulge in their romance.

I don't know, I rewatched it recently and the kid at the end really stuck out to me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FancyMike posted:

I don't know, I rewatched it recently and the kid at the end really stuck out to me.

You are very right. There's enough negative space to infer either. I think that may even add a layer of melancholy to the whole thing for me.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

You are very right. There's enough negative space to infer either. I think that may even add a layer of melancholy to the whole thing for me.

If you want melancholy the follow-up 2046 has plenty of that. Or Happy Together for a devastatingly tragic relationship.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I've been on a long-movie streak lately. So if it happens, I'm ready.

:getin:

Stalker it is

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

FancyMike posted:

If you want melancholy the follow-up 2046 has plenty of that.

I'll second 2046 - it's so good. While I don't think it is necessarily on the level of In the Mood For Love (how could it considering how lauded it is), but it's a glorious follow-up that feels extremely fresh. It barely registers as a sequel, and stands on its own...but more layers are present with the knowledge of the former.

This reminds me...I need to see Happy Together.

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Basebf555 posted:

Bottle Rocket: I love Wes Anderson, and I've never seen his debut. Shameful.

I like Bottle Rocket. Let's end this shamefulness of yours.

The Graduate

I've never really understood the love this movie gets, from a conceptual level. In fact, it's hard for me to get excited about Mike Nichols movies in general, based on the back cover descriptions. But people kept telling me this movie is really, really good... and guess what? It's really, really good.

The strength of this movie highlights Nichols' greatest strength in general--finding the compelling and absurd inside of the mundane. The subject matter here is nothing outlandish: a recent college graduate worried about his future, frustrated by the expectations of everyone around him, and his misadventures in trying to defy expectations. The beauty of the movie is in making his journey of discovery both powerfully moving and sharply satirical, as encapsulated in moments like one early in the movie, in which one of Ben's parents' friends corners him and tells him the future is in... Plastics. Braddock is uninterested in the wishes of his parents and their friends, and simultaneously in need of guidance. And he gets it, from an unfortunate source (his dad's partner's wife), and it leads him to an unfortunate place: an affair with her. This sort of situation recurs throughout the film. Ben doesn't want to do what his parents and their ilk want for him, and so he does something different, without necessarily thinking through the consequences. This is the beauty of the final scene (which is just masterful, and which I won't spoil): what happens after?

It's good. The performances are good, particularly Dustin Hoffman. (I read an interesting little anecdote about Robert Redford almost getting the role, but Nichols deciding against it because he didn't think it would be believable that Redford ever struggled to get a girl.) He is a wonderful portrait of a young man perfectly capable of fulfilling the demands of his parents academically, athletically, and even socially, but who is at the same time exceptionally naive and awkward. Anne Bancroft is great. Tragic. The scene of them (not) discussing art... Woof. Across the board, it's good. The choice to soundtrack the entire movie to Simon & Garfunkel is exceptional. There is some great cinematography in here, as well: the closing sequence, obviously, first at the church with him in the balcony, and then on the bus; the scene when Mrs. Robinson and Ben argue, and she is about to leave, with them on opposite sides of the room and the frame, dressing and then undressing again; the early scene of him entering the pool in full scuba gear.

I don't really have anything bad to say about it. I was assigned this in like... July? So, it's taken some time. I actually tried a few times, but had my viewing interrupted for various reasons. I'm really glad I finally got to it.

THE WATCH LIST

Days of Heaven (1978): Seeing as Tree of Life is one of my favorite films, and I've seen none of his other movies, I should probably get started. This seems a good a place as any.

Tokyo Story (1953): I keep seeing this all over "Best Films Ever"-type lists, and I hadn't even heard of it until a few years ago. Seems like a good candidate.

The Birds (1963): One Hitchcock thriller for another.

Le Samouraï (1967): The origin of cool. Or so I hear.

Zodiac (2007): One of my buddies swears by this as one of the best movies of the last 20 years.

Ikiru (1952): In general, I've seen too little Kurosawa.

A Serious Man (2009): I'm a Coen brothers fan, and Chili tells me I need to watch it so we can discuss it. So here it is.

Out of Sight (1998): I keep hearing people talk about this movie, and I hadn't even heard of it until last year. I like Soderbergh, so, cool.

Boogie Nights (1997): I've seen 3 of PTA's films, and with Phantom Thread coming out, seems like the right time to include this here.

A Few Good Men (1992): I can't handle the truth?

The Watched List: Paths of Glory; The Apartment; Solaris; A Touch of Zen; Apocalypse Now; The Iron Giant; Psycho; Cape Fear; Kill Bill: Vol. 1; My Neighbor Totoro; The Outlaw Josey Wales; Before Sunset; The Graduate

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ratedargh posted:

I'll second 2046 - it's so good.

I haven't seen this one yet, but Days of Being Wild is also great. Lots more melancholy there, too. Also doesn't match In the Mood for Love, but what could?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BeefSupreme posted:

The Birds (1963): One Hitchcock thriller for another.

Try this one next.

Slap Shot - The film concerns cynical sportsmen vs. angry fans vs. questionable management and ultimately the motives of the mystery owner. Most of the players are confused swingers/cheaters partaking in wife swapping etc. The humor is similar to that found in films like Major League (1989) or BASEketball (1998).

One of the main subplots concerns three new weirdos who bring their uber violent brand of hockey to the Chiefs. This was made back in the 1970s so the vast majority of players aren't wearing helmets.

Look for a very young Lindsay Crouse playing the jaded and rebuffing girl.

Also watched:

Down by Law - This one has good dialogue that's missing today:

Bobbie: My mama used to say that America's the big melting pot. You bring it to a boil and all the scum rises to the top.

Bobbie: If you was a good pimp, you'd have hit me by now, you'd have done something.

It concerns three men (a confused Italian foreigner, a mediocre pimp and a struggling disc jockey) who all end up in jail due to getting caught up in a variety of dumb set-ups and conflicts. The three have a lot of authentically long prison arguments before planning an escape.

Being simultaneously bleak and funny it shows the criminal mindset and the vices that go along with it well. At times I was reminded of some French New Wave films like Breathless (1960). There's also lots of language humor revolving around Roberto Benigni's character and his struggles learning English.

The viewer can never quite be sure where things are going as the prisoners are in a few tenuous situations. At one point their boat sinks and they're stuck in their prison clothes for a long time (to name a few perilous things). In the end they meet an Italian woman who ends up being their savior in the short-term.

An ending can be effective even if it's very simple: https://youtu.be/LqUErdVWANU?t=48s

Godzilla vs. Gigan - Godzilla XII. Kind of interested to see this one as I've heard very little about it. Only twenty or so to go. 7/27/17

Esquire's 75 Movies Every Man Should See (66/74 completed):

new #5 Save the Tiger - Going into this one blind. 1/17/18

#14 Runaway Train - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRtvqT_wMeY 1/5/18

Premiere’s 25 Most Dangerous Movies (17/25 completed):

new #8 Dancer in the Dark - The conclusion of the trilogy. 1/17/18

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 17, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

I haven't seen this, but it'll finish off your list for you.

Stalker (1979; Andrei Tarkovsky)

A strange and unsettling movie that builds dread from the unknown, unseen, implied, and imagined. The story is disorienting. The long takes are fascinating. The movie looks amazing. There are philosophical questions about the nature of greed, the practicality of miracles, the dangers of wish-fulfillment, the existential dread of boredom, depression, and a hopeless world. It's a heavy movie with many questions, but not many answers. In fact, it's final scenes are some of its most enigmatic.

I'm excited to watch this again and see if it clicks more for me. This is a movie with many layers to peel back with multiple viewings.

My List

Bicycle Thieves (1948; Vittorio De Sica; Criterion) - (1.21.18) The mandatory film school movie.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List; Ikiru; F for Fake; Raging Bull; The Seventh Seal; Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Lawrence of Arabia; The French Connection; In The Mood For Love; Stalker
Letterboxd

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 22, 2018

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Franchescanado, watch Tootsie, because why not?

Unlike the disappointing Frankenstein, Dracula (1931) holds up very well. There are a bunch of great performances. Everyone knows Lugosi and his delightful hamminess, but Van Helsing is upright and uncompromising, giving exposition without seeming boring, and the face-off between the two is perfectly tense. They change the book a bit by having Renfield go to the castle instead of Harker, but that means we get to see him transition to the fanatical madman he’s most known as. Mina pulls off the “forbidden sexuality” well- the scene where she seduces John while leaning in really looks like she’s about to give him a blowjob. And then there’s the comic relief in the form of two cockney orderlies who seem to have wandered in from a Monty Python sketch. Storywise, they focus on Dracula’s mental powers and not physical strength, which is a good choice to make. And I like the way Lugosi often seems to hover in midair, since he’s wearing black clothes against a black background. The story obviously doesn’t have a lot of surprises in 2018, and it makes the characters seem dim to not realize Dracula’s evil right away, but the tropes weren’t as solid back then. I wonder how well known the story was in 1931- while the book was popular, I’m sure there were a lot who hadn’t read it.

Rating: 4/4

124. The Rules of the Game- I opened the They Shoot Pictures list, and this is number five. I've never even heard of it.

132. Five Easy Pieces- Continuing the Ebert list, I somehow skipped over this one.

133. The Stepford Wives- I recently saw Get Out, and I highly recommend it. I've seen a lot of comparisons to The Stepford Wives, and while I basically know what it's about I still think I should see it.

135. Man with a Movie Camera- Fourth wall? Never heard of it.

139. Birth of a Nation: Oh, boy, this is the big one. This is not a movie you watch for fun, but it's a movie that needs to be seen by anyone who cares about film history.

140. Inland Empire: Want some more David Lynch.

141. Drag Me to Hell: A horror film by Sam Raimi. I like both of those things!

144. Eraserhead: David Lynch hasn't let me down yet. I saw parts of this with some friends once- seemed very weird and abstract, almost like German expressionism.

145. The Birds: Hitchcock is usually good, but the concept of this one always seemed too silly to be scary. I've seen Birdemic...

146. Bride of Frankenstein: Like I said, Frankenstein was disappointing, and I don't think the monster would have become an icon without the sequel that is supposedly much better.

Okay, tell me what I'm watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4, Tokyo Story: 2.5/4, Big Trouble in Little China: 3.5/4, American Psycho: 3.5/4, Dr. Zhivago: 3/4, Leaving Las Vegas:4/4, The Bourne Identity: 4/4, Out of Africa: 3/4, The Usual Suspects: 3/4, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: 4/4, Rain Man: 3.5/4, The Lost Weekend: 3.5/4, Ratatouille: 3/4, City of God: 4/4, Ed Wood: 4/4, Top Gun: 2.5/4, Trois Couleurs: Bleu: 3.5/4, The Hidden Fortess: 3/4, First Blood: 4/4, The Ten Commandments:3.5/4, Patton: 3.5/4, The Bourne Supremacy:3.5/4, King Lear (1983): 2.5/4, Repo Man: 2.5/4, King Kong: 3.5/4, Wall Street: 3/4, The Blues Brothers: 2/4, Trois Couleurs: Blanc: 2.5/4, Trois Couleurs: Rouge: 3.5/4, Animal House: 1.5/4, Ben-Hur: 3.5/4, Gojira: 4/4, Sunset Boulevard: 3.5/4, Falling Down: 4/4, The Night of the Hunter: 3.5/4, Ran: 4/4, The Battle of Algiers: 4/4, Z: 3/4, The Great Escape: 2.5/4, Cries and Whispers: 4/4, Enchanted: 3.5/4, Judgment at Nuremberg: 4/4, Cool Hand Luke:3/4, Scenes from a Marriage: 4/4, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956): 4/4, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978): 3.5/4, The Bourne Ultimatum: 3.5/4, F for Fake: 4/4, Spartacus: 4/4, I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang: 4/4, Sunrise: 3.5/4, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer: 1.5/4, Cloud Atlas: 4/4, Throne of Blood: 2.5/4, Forbidden Planet: 3/4, The Day the Earth Stood Still: 2/4, Frankenstein (1931): 2/4, The Straight Story: 4/4, Boogie Nights: 3/4, Dracula: 4/4

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Stalker did strange things to my mind, it's like the movie itself is The Zone. Watched it 6 months ago, was absolutely blown away. Since then, I've thought about the movie at least once every few days, and I say to myself "you gotta watch that again sometime soon".

There's a part of me that enjoys the fact that the film is not overly defined in my mind, it's always in flux. The way I think about it changes from day to day, different aspects come into my head and the fall away and are replaced by others. And yet I'm drawn back to it, I feel compelled to return to The Zone.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Stalker did strange things to my mind, it's like the movie itself is The Zone. Watched it 6 months ago, was absolutely blown away. Since then, I've thought about the movie at least once every few days, and I say to myself "you gotta watch that again sometime soon".

There's a part of me that enjoys the fact that the film is not overly defined in my mind, it's always in flux. The way I think about it changes from day to day, different aspects come into my head and the fall away and are replaced by others. And yet I'm drawn back to it, I feel compelled to return to The Zone.

I find it very hard to discuss it with just one viewing. As you said, the ideas in the film and the film itself are constantly shifting. Nothing extraordinary is shown at all. And yet there seems to be unspeakable horrors just out of frame. I really love how it breaks so many conventions of film-making and storytelling. The characters are in turn specific and abstract. They are grappling with their own ideas, but are surrounded by a world where ideas are in constant flux, and they themselves are in constant flux and disharmony with themselves.

Everything about The Zone and The Room was absolutely fascinating. That comprises my favorite parts, actually. Normally I drool over symbolic characters theorizing on life and existence, but a lot of those scenes bounced off my head, while stories of people coming to The Room to have their wishes fulfilled had me on edge.

It's also a very bleak and misanthropic film; much more than I was expecting. While nothing overtly cruel or "evil" happens, the idea of mankind being without any hope--even when they are provided a reality-bending promise to have anything they desire--and a person who's whole existence is repeatedly experience the tribulations with them, attempting to provide a change, only for them to still lose hope and embrace sadness, is just soul-crushing.

I also have no idea what I should make of Monkey or her ending. Or the black dog.

Very rarely do I watch a movie that just unsettles me to my core and kinda makes my brain spin in an attempt to understand it. And you weren't kidding that it's a long movie. I read that in it's 160 minute run-time there's only 146 cuts in the whole thing.

Jurgan posted:

Unlike the disappointing Frankenstein, Dracula (1931) holds up very well.

This is very surprising to me. I think Frankenstein is much better than Dracula. That said, Bride of Frankenstein is better than both. The only Universal monster movie I actually dislike is The Mummy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I also have no idea what I should make of Monkey or her ending.

I think that's one of the more puzzled over endings in the history of film, whenever Stalker is written about it seems to be a topic of discussion.

Right now, having only seen the film once, I interpret it as Tarkovsky saying that The Zone(and whatever your personal Zone may contain) is not the be all end all. The thing you're looking for in The Zone can be found anywhere, you just have to look/try hard enough. For 99% of the film we're told that fantastical things can only take place inside The Zone, and yet here we're shown that some of the wildest dreams can happen just to a regular girl who's nowhere near The Zone.

On a more literal plot level, I've heard it theorized that because the Stalker has spent so much time in The Zone, he somehow passed along some sort of genetic mutation to his daughter. Or that for some reason this is his dearest wish, for his daughter to be somehow very powerful, and this is The Zone having granted that wish

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 22, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I think that's one of the more puzzled over endings in the history of film, whenever Stalker is written about it seems to be a topic of discussion.

Right now, having only seen the film once, I interpret it as Tarkovsky saying that The Zone(and whatever your personal Zone may contain) is not the be all end all. The thing you're looking for in The Zone can be found anywhere, you just have to look/try hard enough. For 99% of the film we're told that fantastical things can only take place inside The Zone, and yet here we're shown that some of the wildest dreams can happen just to a regular girl who's nowhere near The Zone.

On a more literal plot level, I've heard it theorized that because the Stalker has spent so much time in The Zone, he somehow passed along some sort of genetic mutation to his daughter. Or that for some reason this is his dearest wish, for his daughter to be somehow very powerful, and this is The Zone having granted that wish

It feels strange to hide discussions of Stalker behind spoilers because it's almost an unspoilable film, but here goes:

What stood out to me about Monkey, beyond her telekinesis, is that the film is shown in color when she is the focus of the shot. The only time Stalker and his family are shown in color outside of The Zone? The shot begins with Monkey and we pan back to see Stalker is carrying her. Is The Zone bleeding out through Monkey? It's explicitly stated that everyone thinks she's a mutant because of Stalker having visited The Zone, but we never hear Stalker's wife talk about Monkey. I wondered if maybe Stalker did make a wish for Monkey, even if accidentally. Or, like you said, it's just to show that the magic exists outside of The Room and The Zone. Or more bizarre, that the magic of The Zone and The Room is that it shows everyone that they don't need it. That by it existing, it is cause for hope, and that those who adventure deeper into the mystery instead learn to embrace the mystery as mystery instead of trying to find an answer. Their salvation is in understand and accepting that Life doesn't fully make sense, and never really will, and there is hope in that idea more than just having a wish fulfilled.

I dunno. It's a hard movie to grasp because it really gives you everything and nothing to work with. The movie this made me think of the most was It Comes At Night, because it tried (and, for me, failed) to tell a story without showing anything.

I already know that this will probably be my next Criterion purchase because I want to absorb everything I can about this movie.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Stalker did strange things to my mind...

Franchescanado posted:

Very rarely do I watch a movie that...makes my brain spin...

When I watched Stalker it felt like my brain had been removed and put into a lemon squeezer and then put back.

Jurgan posted:

133. The Stepford Wives- I recently saw Get Out, and I highly recommend it. I've seen a lot of comparisons to The Stepford Wives, and while I basically know what it's about I still think I should see it.

Go with this one. I'm assuming you mean the 1975 film rather than the 2004 film. If you're meaning the 2004 film then go with:

Jurgan posted:

144. Eraserhead: David Lynch hasn't let me down yet. I saw parts of this with some friends once- seemed very weird and abstract, almost like German expressionism.

The Band Wagon - Another flashy, glitzy, colorful offering that doesn't quite reach the levels of Singin' in the Rain or An American in Paris. But it's still entertaining.

A crazy producer helms a disastrous production trying to turn the Faust legend into a musical. It's somewhat funny at times but the premise is more enticing than the execution. The lead-up with the producer hyping it is good but we barely see any hint as to why it doesn't go over well besides the audience looking aghast as they exit the theater (and the after-party looking like a funeral).

It also has some comments on fame and how people can simultaneously have erroneous misgivings about one another.

Esquire's 75 Movies Every Man Should See (66/74 completed):

#5 Save the Tiger - Going into this one blind. 1/17/18

#14 Runaway Train - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRtvqT_wMeY 1/5/18

Premiere’s 25 Most Dangerous Movies (17/25 completed):

new #4 Natural Born Killers - I remember when this came out it was making people physically ill. 1/23/18

#8 Dancer in the Dark - The conclusion of the trilogy. 1/17/18

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I watched Stalker for the first time after a night shift when I was trying to stay up until the evening to reset my sleep schedule, and I was fighting to stay awake because despite being physically exhausted I was totally engrossed in the movie, so I got into this combination of half-sleep and extreme concentration, which worked extremely well for that movie.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Franchescanado posted:

Or more bizarre, that the magic of The Zone and The Room is that it shows everyone that they don't need it. That by it existing, it is cause for hope, and that those who adventure deeper into the mystery instead learn to embrace the mystery as mystery instead of trying to find an answer. Their salvation is in understand and accepting that Life doesn't fully make sense, and never really will, and there is hope in that idea more than just having a wish fulfilled.
What you say here brings to mind one of my favorite Tarkovsky quotes:

Andrei Tarkovsky, Sculpting in Time, p. 43 posted:

The allotted function of art is not, as is often assumed, to put across ideas, to propagate thoughts, to serve as an example. The aim of art is to prepare a person for death, to plough and harrow his soul, rendering it capable of turning to good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I already know that this will probably be my next Criterion purchase because I want to absorb everything I can about this movie.

Forgot to ask, have you seen Solaris? If not definitely add that to your list, it's like a hybrid between the complete mindfuck that is Stalker and a more traditional science fiction story.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

On the other hand, don't watch Solaris, cause it's a slog of a billion minutes long movie and half of it is russian highway footage.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Electronico6 posted:

On the other hand, don't watch Solaris, cause it's a slog of a billion minutes long movie and half of it is russian highway footage.

What's your general opinion on Tarkovsky? He's definitely not for everybody.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Forgot to ask, have you seen Solaris? If not definitely add that to your list, it's like a hybrid between the complete mindfuck that is Stalker and a more traditional science fiction story.

I have not! Stalker is my only Tarkovsky. Solaris will go on my list very soon, since I'm trying to make the majority of my list consist of films from other countries. The 2nd biggest comment to saying "I watched Stalker" has been "Now watch Solaris."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

What's your general opinion on Tarkovsky? He's definitely not for everybody.

Solaris has an atrocious opening that kills any mood or enjoyment of the film to me, and when you learn that he did it on purpose it just makes the whole picture mean spirited and crooked.

The other films I watched from him were Ivan's Childhood, Stalker, and The Sacrifice. I quite like Stalker, and despite not being too crazy about Ivan's Childhood I still have scenes burned in my memory from watching it years ago,(AVENGE US) so it's good. The Sacrifice I found it straight up dire at points. Nykvist and Josephson alone don't save the film from Tarkovsky's disaster Bergman imitation, and the man does not have any of the wit or charm of the Swedish filmmaker to hold everything together.

I do find myself always enjoying and marveling whenever I happen to see a clip or a scene isolated from his films, even from Solaris and Sacrifice that I can't say don't have their great moments. However the actual act of seeing these films from start to finish again, is just misery to me.