Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

UIApplication posted:

Lol my company is so hosed, like 90% of our ipad implementation doesn't use autolayout

Multitask mode gonna break so hard

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

quote:

Added HKCategoryTypeIdentifierCervicalMucusQuality
Added HKCategoryTypeIdentifierMenstrualFlow
Added HKCategoryTypeIdentifierOvulationTestResult
Added HKCategoryTypeIdentifierSedentaryState
Added HKCategoryTypeIdentifierSexualActivity
Added HKCategoryTypeIdentifierVaginalSpotting
Added HKCharacteristicTypeIdentifierFitzpatrickSkinType
Added HKQuantityTypeIdentifierBasalBodyTemperature
Added HKQuantityTypeIdentifierDietaryWater
Added HKQuantityTypeIdentifierUVExposure

It's great that they addressed the women's health items that were lacking previously but how the hell did they ignore all the other items people have been requesting over the last year? Particularly, there's still no way to track medications in HealthKit. :reject:

At least the shortcomings of WKWebView seem to have been addressed!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Choadmaster posted:

At least the shortcomings of WKWebView seem to have been addressed!

Custom protocols? :syoon:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Thoughts on the BitCode thing:

The talk about automatically gaining support for new architectures makes it sound like BitCode is really just meant to help with the transition in case Apple ever switches iOS devices to Intel. Otherwise, compiling for an architecture the developer never tested on seems like a good way to introduce bugs, and I can't see what "new" architectures they could have up their sleeve other than a switch to x86.

I don't see the argument about getting "free" performance benefits later on when Apple compiles your app with a newer compiler actually playing out, either, since any app that's still being updated will get these performance improvements anyway when the developer ships the next update built with the latest version of Xcode, right? And if a developer stops updating their app, you should probably switch away anyway. And the only optimizations possible at that point would be code generation, since the source code would've already been parsed and compiled to intermediary binary.

Or am I just completely misunderstanding?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bitcode could also help in auto-optimizing for future ARM variants. That was my assumption, anyway.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Well yeah, but if the developer is testing on those variants then they would also be shipping binaries for those variants, right? And if they aren't testing on them, why would you want Apple compiling to them for you?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Because they differ in only small ways, like register count or having some extra SIMD instructions or such. Do you test on all the CPU families that are currently released?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Almost (A4, A5, A6, and A8). I see your point, but I'm still wary of users getting what are essentially untested binaries. Guess it depends on the likelihood of Apple optimization changes exposing new bugs.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Also, isn't LLVIM IR at least a little bit platform-specific? Is x86+ARM on the same bitcode possible?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Possibly. They did say that submitting 64-bit-only iOS binaries would be allowed now, so it at least sounds like it's "bitness" specific.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Also, isn't LLVIM IR at least a little bit platform-specific? Is x86+ARM on the same bitcode possible?

Yeah, you can run llc on a bitcode file and generate x86 or ARM or whatever. All the instruction-selection optimizations live below bitcode iirc.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
LLVM IR encodes almost every detail of the ABI except the actual assignment of arguments to registers/stack, and even some amount of that. In particular, you would not be able to effectively switch from a 32-bit to a 64-bit ABI. Bitcode submission really is mostly about microarchitectural updates and theoretical hardware workarounds.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Bitcode could also help in auto-optimizing for future ARM variants. That was my assumption, anyway.

Yeah, I was imagining it'd be for the next time there's another armv7s situation where there's minor improvements, but nothing huge. It would certainly help for apps where including that extra slice is basically "lol no" if you're up against one of the various size walls.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rjmccall posted:

LLVM IR encodes almost every detail of the ABI except the actual assignment of arguments to registers/stack, and even some amount of that. In particular, you would not be able to effectively switch from a 32-bit to a 64-bit ABI. Bitcode submission really is mostly about microarchitectural updates and theoretical hardware workarounds.

I thought it was more general than that, but I think I was confusing it with pnacl. Thanks!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It's also a license to break binary compatibility if we need to.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You could do that with ARM-to-ARM transformation as well, right?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Excited about Address Sanitizer. There's enough C in my audio code that it's going to make a tangible impact.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Ender.uNF posted:

OK, the new plan is Wednesday for lunch. Who's in?

I'm in. Where at?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
How about Garaje? If anyone has a better suggestion go for it.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

You could do that with ARM-to-ARM transformation as well, right?

It depends. Binary translation is always a bit fraught, because inserting instructions can break proximity constraints for e.g. short relative jumps. It's definitely easier to just compile the code the way you want it in the first place.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rjmccall posted:

It depends. Binary translation is always a bit fraught, because inserting instructions can break proximity constraints for e.g. short relative jumps. It's definitely easier to just compile the code the way you want it in the first place.

I was thinking of something like edit-and-continue branch insertion, but yeah, might as well not make things harder on yourself.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker

Ender.uNF posted:

How about Garaje? If anyone has a better suggestion go for it.

Looks as good as anything

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Garaje 's great unless you're looking for something remotely healthy.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

I was thinking of something like edit-and-continue branch insertion, but yeah, might as well not make things harder on yourself.

I would kill for this; I was never as productive when exploring new stuff as when using Edit & Continue. It's just so much faster to iterate when you don't have to recompile and get your app's state set back up. It's one of those things that never gets priority because it is a pain point extremely far removed from the people who work on dev tools.

Anyway... Garaje it is, Wednesday at 12:15 (to give people time to get out of sessions and walk there).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ender.uNF posted:

I would kill for this; I was never as productive when exploring new stuff as when using Edit & Continue. It's just so much faster to iterate when you don't have to recompile and get your app's state set back up. It's one of those things that never gets priority because it is a pain point extremely far removed from the people who work on dev tools.

It's one of the best things about React Native.

(Might come to SF tomorrow for a meeting and crash the lunch.)

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

My 'app metadata' was rejected because the reviewers couldn't find the Restore Purchases button. I hid it real good at the bottom of the Downloads section! #sarcasm #fuckmylife

So what now? I replied in the Resolution Center but the 'Submit for Review' button is active again. Do I have to resubmit?

edit: yeah I guess I resubmit. Holy poo poo I'll be mad if it's another 10 day wait.

lord funk fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 10, 2015

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

lord funk posted:

My 'app metadata' was rejected because the reviewers couldn't find the Restore Purchases button. I hid it real good at the bottom of the Downloads section! #sarcasm #fuckmylife

So what now? I replied in the Resolution Center but the 'Submit for Review' button is active again. Do I have to resubmit?

edit: yeah I guess I resubmit. Holy poo poo I'll be mad if it's another 10 day wait.

Aka: I haven't met my quote, quick clear some apps from the queue!

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
It's pathetic how Apple is still so bad at this. Apps should be reviewed and approved in 48 hours or less. I know that it only takes me 2-3 hours to actually do it once it gets through the queue.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
I'm crashing lunch probs.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Chiming in a bit late but goonmeets rock and I'd love to do lunch because the wwdc box lunches blow.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

wwb posted:

the wwdc box lunches blow.

What do you mean you don't like slicing the roof of your mouth open on extra-dry ciabatta bread turkey sandwiches?!?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

You can appeal rejections, but if you hit Submit again it might be too late.

I once had a photo app get rejected because the reviewer couldn't figure out how to take a photo on the iPad version. Except the app doesn't actually support the iPad, so taking a photo with it was the exact same on iPad as on iPhone.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doc Block posted:

You can appeal rejections, but if you hit Submit again it might be too late.

gently caress. My. Life.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

It's pathetic how Apple is still so bad at this. Apps should be reviewed and approved in 48 hours or less. I know that it only takes me 2-3 hours to actually do it once it gets through the queue.

And half the time, once the app gets into the queue, my prod environment logs show nobody besides myself opened the app at all between submission and approval.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Happens all the time.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Few years ago we submitted a project and it was in review for about 2 minutes before approval. Think we got a reviewer on his/her last day or something

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Apple reviews are inconsistent. We white label apps and some but not all need Core Bluetooth entitlement for some features. I should be better in the build system by setting entitlements, but I was under a deadline. Apple approved 5 apps that didn't need the bluetooth entitlement, and then blocked the 3 that did. To their credit, they were quick to approve the apps once I gave an explanation. But I was still a bit confused, and panicked because of a tradeshow next week and the ridiculous 14 + day wait lately for submissions.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dirk Pitt posted:

Apple reviews are inconsistent. We white label apps and some but not all need Core Bluetooth entitlement for some features. I should be better in the build system by setting entitlements, but I was under a deadline. Apple approved 5 apps that didn't need the bluetooth entitlement, and then blocked the 3 that did. To their credit, they were quick to approve the apps once I gave an explanation. But I was still a bit confused, and panicked because of a tradeshow next week and the ridiculous 14 + day wait lately for submissions.

Is it still the situation too where if you white label apps you need each client to stand up their own developer account and submit under that? Just as everything else about reviews are inconsistent, it seems inconsistent as to what the actual guidance from Apple is on that.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

kitten smoothie posted:

Is it still the situation too where if you white label apps you need each client to stand up their own developer account and submit under that? Just as everything else about reviews are inconsistent, it seems inconsistent as to what the actual guidance from Apple is on that.

For some customers we use their corporate accounts and handle everything. Others we "sponsor" and give them a discount rate and use their images with our corporate account and name attached. Quite honestly it is a mess. One thing I thought was funny was that after iTunes connect come back yesterday, all the apps in our account showed a last updated as 6/9/2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

ultramiraculous posted:

What do you mean you don't like slicing the roof of your mouth open on extra-dry ciabatta bread turkey sandwiches?!?

I didn't get that far, looked at it and headed down to Yank Sing.