Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

jarlywarly posted:

My honest opinion is take a phone for social pics, any camera gear you are going to be carrying that's worth the hassle over a good phone camera (recent model iPhone/Pixel etc) you are going to want to edit the photos back at home on a monitor. this is what I did when I went to New Zealand, carried my Pixel phone for social media stuff and my DSLR with telephoto for the "real photography" shots backed up the SD Cards to a HDD and then edited/published once back at home. If I thought a RAW was a "cannot lose at all costs" shot I uploaded to my dropbox via my Phone.

I found the most useful gear was

Camera bag with rain shield.
A good USB powerpack.
Portable mini HDD with SD Reader.
USB host cable for my phone.
USB SD Card Reader.

This actually sound like it could work! I never thought that maybe not all of my RAW photos need to be backed up to the cloud :v:

Also, your mention of a USB powerbank brings me to another point, because my camera cannot be charged through USB - you have to use the AC battery charger. Is there any way to charge those batteries with a powerbank, or am I SOL?

Thanks again! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Chikimiki posted:

This actually sound like it could work! I never thought that maybe not all of my RAW photos need to be backed up to the cloud :v:

Also, your mention of a USB powerbank brings me to another point, because my camera cannot be charged through USB - you have to use the AC battery charger. Is there any way to charge those batteries with a powerbank, or am I SOL?

Thanks again! :)

What does your AC charger put out? If it's 5v DC at 2 amps or less, then you are ok as long as you can find a USB to whatever-connector-your-phone-has cable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You should be able to find USB powered battery chargers for pretty much any camera battery in the world on amazon.

When we did a europe trip a few years ago my kit was a Samsung T5, a ravpower filehub and a ravpower usb charger, plus a usb charger for my camera batteries. It worked well enough and everything packed into a case that was about 6x4x3 inches. This loadout kept all our phones and watches and cameras charged up.

If I was doing it again though I wouldn't buy the filehub.. the usb speeds were too slow. I'd get a WD Passport wireless because it can copy off the SD card significantly faster.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There may be third party USB chargers for your batteries, a company called Nitecore makes a bunch. USB charging was a pretty big game changer for me while traveling, I don't know if I could go without again. It's super nice to sit and get a coffee and top up the charge without dealing with an outlet or even having your camera outside your bag. I'm not someone who typically takes hundreds of shots at one location though so your style will influence what you want to carry.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Thanks for the advice! Indeed my first reaction was to look on amazon for an USB charger, but between all the no-name ones and the voltage characteristics I was a bit lost to be honest... Guess I'll have to search some more!
And I agree with qirex, having a power bank was a game changer even with just a phone, so I would miss the convenience of it on a camera.

Of course, the new model of my camera does support USB charging, but it is also twice the price :v:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chikimiki posted:

Thanks for the advice! Indeed my first reaction was to look on amazon for an USB charger, but between all the no-name ones and the voltage characteristics I was a bit lost to be honest... Guess I'll have to search some more!
I specifically called out Nitecore because they're an actual company who makes their own products and doesn't just badge whatever falls off the back of a truck in Shenzhen. I would be cautious with the no-name ones.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

qirex posted:

I specifically called out Nitecore because they're an actual company who makes their own products and doesn't just badge whatever falls off the back of a truck in Shenzhen. I would be cautious with the no-name ones.

Saw that, thanks! Unfortunately Nitecore does not seem to manufacture for my camera (Olympus E-M5), so I'll have to look elsewhere...

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
When traveling I just push everything to cloud storage via my phone (slow as balls but at least I know it’s safe). The thought of lugging along local storage gives me the heebie jeebies.

e: I’m super paranoid about local storage in general though, so that definitely influences how I travel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chikimiki posted:

Saw that, thanks! Unfortunately Nitecore does not seem to manufacture for my camera (Olympus E-M5), so I'll have to look elsewhere...

Wasabi are okay-ish chinese knockoffs, I've been using their stuff for many years and never had an issue.

President Beep posted:

When traveling I just push everything to cloud storage via my phone (slow as balls but at least I know it’s safe). The thought of lugging along local storage gives me the heebie jeebies.

I use my wife as backup when we travel. I keep the SD cards and never delete anything off them, and she keeps my SSD so there's always two copies. So if I fall in a river and lose the camera, I still got images. If she falls in a river and loses her bag, I still got images. If we both fall in a river something went seriously wrong and an archive of bad photos is going to be the least of our worries.

I would never go on a trip planning to rely on cloud backup, hotel wifi is always poo poo and I could never finish an upload. And if we're in a tent wifi is not an option.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I'm thinking about joining the instant photo club, and since I'm crazy was thinking about crossing my fingers and getting a reasonable SX-70 (for the foldability) off ebay. But I've heard that the modern polaroid film isn't that great? Am I risking a not-reasonable amount of a heartbreak, and should just get an Instax Wide?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

dupersaurus posted:

I'm thinking about joining the instant photo club, and since I'm crazy was thinking about crossing my fingers and getting a reasonable SX-70 (for the foldability) off ebay. But I've heard that the modern polaroid film isn't that great? Am I risking a not-reasonable amount of a heartbreak, and should just get an Instax Wide?

I've heard similar things about the Polaroid film as well. Though it's supposedly improved over the time Impossible got the rights to it (especially with development time, I think?)

I have an Instax Wide 300 but you are really limited with regards to settings for shooting. Plus I was less that thrilled with the flash and recycle times. If you want something with more control you might want to look at the Lomo Instant Wide.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'

dupersaurus posted:

I love shooting my Polaroids. They're better now than when they were Impossible but it still takes longer to develop and it's important to keep it out of direct light for the first few minutes. It's hit and miss though, I've got great shots and I've got some awful stuff. I have gotten super sharp images before but not as consistently as regular film or even pack film, but you should really go in know you're going to get a Polaroid look from the get go. I personally think their black and white is better than color but the color isn't bad. As far as Instax Wide, that's what I started with and I was really really unimpressed with the color and he camera in general. The Instax Wide monochrome is amazing but it's a shame to have to use it on the wide camera.

IMO unless you wanna spend a load of money on some new Mint camera that shoots Instax I'd go with Polaroid.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

ReverendHammer posted:

I've heard similar things about the Polaroid film as well. Though it's supposedly improved over the time Impossible got the rights to it (especially with development time, I think?)

I have an Instax Wide 300 but you are really limited with regards to settings for shooting. Plus I was less that thrilled with the flash and recycle times. If you want something with more control you might want to look at the Lomo Instant Wide.

Yeah I saw the Lomos but I think the wide at least is too much for a whim. Maybe the mini, but I'm not crazy about the photo size

GreaseGunner posted:

I love shooting my Polaroids. They're better now than when they were Impossible but it still takes longer to develop and it's important to keep it out of direct light for the first few minutes. It's hit and miss though, I've got great shots and I've got some awful stuff. I have gotten super sharp images before but not as consistently as regular film or even pack film, but you should really go in know you're going to get a Polaroid look from the get go. I personally think their black and white is better than color but the color isn't bad. As far as Instax Wide, that's what I started with and I was really really unimpressed with the color and he camera in general. The Instax Wide monochrome is amazing but it's a shame to have to use it on the wide camera.

IMO unless you wanna spend a load of money on some new Mint camera that shoots Instax I'd go with Polaroid.

Have any suggestions for which camera? I might be talking myself out of the SX-70 as a first camera in favor of something more indoor-friendly

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
My sister bought a pretty expensive lomo instax mini (with real glass lens wowee) and the images are not any better than the cheap Fuji she had before. And it broke in her backpack on the first day of her vacation.

None of the sample images I've seen from the expensive mint cameras seem to be an improvement either.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'

dupersaurus posted:

Have any suggestions for which camera? I might be talking myself out of the SX-70 as a first camera in favor of something more indoor-friendly

The SX-70 is ok indoors if you are willing to spend the extra money for the Mint flashbar, otherwise a really good option is an Autofocus 660/Sun 600. They have built in flashes and autofocus along with 600 film being 600 iso vs SX-70 being 160 iso. They're not as sleek as the SX-70 and they're a little bulky but they're pretty iconic as far as Polaroids go.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

FYI, we have a Film Thread where you may get more advice. There is a good chance that there are more film users in that thread than this one.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I suddenly want to buy a camera again because I'm so, so bored.

I had a canon xti or something 100 years ago and it was fun. Now I'm old, have forgotten everything i used to know, and my best camera is a 5 year old cell phone.

Things i care about
  • weather sealing
  • interchangeable lenses
  • small/light for backpacking/bikepacking/travel - so probably mirrorless? would mirrorless handle vibration well? (for example: in a bag on a bike all day, turned off)
  • for mirrorless, a viewfinder
  • lots of useful manual toggles and switches and whatnot. i hate digging through on-screen menus. i don’t know if modes like shutter speed priority/aperture priority are still a thing but that’s what i used to use most of the time
  • solid autofocus
  • RAW output
Nice to have
  • ability to charge from USB battery
Things i don’t care about
  • touchscreens
  • video/sound
  • flash
  • full frame. i probably can’t afford full frame lenses anyway and free zoom is free
  • in-camera editing/eye detection/gimmicks
Planned usage, for now
  • megapix of landscapes/wildlife (read: my cats, because i don’t leave the house)
Budget w/one lens is under 2k. Probably just a kit lens to start, if it’s worth getting. I’m looking for a sweet-spot for price/performance and not looking specifically to spend $2k. That said, what’s a good lens for my planned usage, if I don’t grab a kit lens?

It's really important that it's small/light/and I don't have to baby it. Not looking for a 'rugged' fixed lens or anything, just something I can toss in a bag and get the outside on.

Fuji X-T3 w/ 18-55 kit or 16-80 kit looks cool. It's small-ish, and weather sealed.
I'm seeing one on Adorama with these two things and the 16-80 kit for $1700 (w/18-55 $1600). Not sure if that's a good deal as I only started looking at stuff today.

*Fujifilm VG-XT3 Vertical Battery Grip for X-T3 Mirrorless Digital Camera
*Fujifilm MHG-XT3 Metal Hand Grip for X-T3 Mirrorless Digital Camera

I'd just sell those as I want small/light. If they're really worth ~$300+ then that'd make the choice easier.

I see there’s a Fuji X-T4 to be announced soon. Depending on expected discounts for prior models, I can definitely wait a month or so. Not attached to Fuji or any specific brand, that's just what looked good from checking out thewirecutter and dpreview.

What say ye?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fuji is a good place to start given your wants and plenty of people love em. I would absolutely wait for the new one to be announced though; it’s happening on the 25th. Not sure about manufacturer discounts but it’ll be a good time to get one used from an upgrader.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I had a canon xti or something 100 years ago and it was fun. Now I'm old, have forgotten everything i used to know, and my best camera is a 5 year old cell phone.

Things i care about
  • weather sealing
  • interchangeable lenses
  • small/light for backpacking/bikepacking/travel - so probably mirrorless? would mirrorless handle vibration well? (for example: in a bag on a bike all day, turned off)
  • lots of useful manual toggles and switches and whatnot. i hate digging through on-screen menus. i don’t know if modes like shutter speed priority/aperture priority are still a thing but that’s what i used to use most of the time
  • solid autofocus
  • RAW output
Nice to have
  • touchscreens
  • video/sound
  • flash
  • full frame. i probably can’t afford full frame lenses anyway and free zoom is free
Planned usage, for now
  • megapix of landscapes/wildlife (read: my cats, because i don’t leave the house)
Budget w/one lens is under 2k. Probably just a kit lens to start, if it’s worth getting. I’m looking for a sweet-spot for price/performance and not looking specifically to spend $2k. That said, what’s a good lens for my planned usage, if I don’t grab a kit lens?

It's really important that it's small/light/and I don't have to baby it. Not looking for a 'rugged' fixed lens or anything, just something I can toss in a bag and get the outside on.

Fuji X-T3 w/ 18-55 kit or 16-80 kit looks cool. It's small-ish, and weather sealed.
I'm seeing one on Adorama with these two things and the 16-80 kit for $1700 (w/18-55 $1600). Not sure if that's a good deal as I only started looking at stuff today.

I'd just sell those as I want small/light. If they're really worth ~$300+ then that'd make the choice easier.

I see there’s a Fuji X-T4 to be announced soon. Depending on expected discounts for prior models, I can definitely wait a month or so. Not attached to Fuji or any specific brand, that's just what looked good from checking out thewirecutter and dpreview.

What say ye?

If you’re looking at Fuji, skip the X-T3 and get the cheaper X-T2. It’s every bit as good for your use case, and quite a bit cheaper now, so it won’t hurt as much if you slam it into a rock on a hike. Solis Roy, you could go one better and get a used one on eBay for peanuts.

If you want basically the same technology, in an even smaller package, look at the X-T20 or 30.

If you prefer MFT system, go for the Olympus OM-D E -M5 or 10. They are super small, and the lenses weigh next to nothing. Slap a pancake on one and it will probably fit in the pocket of your gay loving cargo shorts.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Things i care about
  • weather sealing
  • interchangeable lenses
  • solid autofocus
  • RAW output
Nice to have
  • touchscreens
  • video/sound
  • flash
Planned usage, for now

What say ye?

Fuji X-E3 w/ 18-55 -- cheap and good option
Fuji X-T2 w/ 16-80 -- likely less cheap and good option
X-T4 w/ 16-80 -- more expensive and likely even better

Honestly, Fuji makes ridiculously great cameras. I also would consider a manufacturer refurb Nikon Z6 + 24-70 F4 (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1488631-REG/nikon_1598b_z_6_fx_camera_body.html)

It's about the same size and bulk of the Fuji gear but with a newer and more capable full frame sensor. The 24-70 F4 lens is no slouch. Downside is the camera requires XQD cards, which are pricey but come with more reliability and speed. I've shot with Fuji and Nikon. They all have their strengths. For my money, I'm extremely happy with the refurbished Z6 kit. Z6 EVF is unreal too. Remarkable quality.

It's worth mentioning the quality difference from full frame to APS-C (what Fuji uses) is much smaller than you think. It's there but not overwhelmingly so. If able, I would hit up a camera store to see cameras in person. Having one that is comfortable to use will make going out with it a more enjoyable and exciting experience.

Another option is the Canon EOS RP -- full frame with really nice Canon RF lenses like the 25-105 (pricey though).

You really cant go wrong with any camera made in the past 3 years. Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus/Panasonic -- they all make great poo poo.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
You might want to keep something like the Pentax KP in mind. It's really affordable for what it is and Pentax glass is great. It has wheels and buttons for everything so you don't have to dig through menus. Pentax is a really underrated brand nowadays.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I would also lean towards the X-T2 because the X-T3’s improvements are almost entirely in the realm of continuous autofocus, eye detection, and video. And the X-T2 is not at all bad in those departments. Grab a mint used one in a few weeks.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
If you care about weather sealing make sure to get weather sealed lenses too. The fuji 18-55mm isn't but the 16-80mm is. Fuji is also the only one that really offers weather sealing on their compact prime lenses.

One reason to buy an olympus is the 12-100mm f4 that is very good for the focal range it covers, offers weather sealing and very good dual image stabilization on the right body. And a lot of MFT stuff is cheap on the used market.

Some of sony apsc bodies offer weather sealing and are very popular, but I am not familiar with them personally.

I would definitely recommend buying used. Not just for the money saved initially, but because you can sell it on without a big loss if you decide to upgrade, or switch systems, or quit photography, or whatever.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

This is all great advice, thank you. Going to sit on it for a bit before deciding anything because I probably shouldn't impulse buy a bunch of gear.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

This is all great advice, thank you. Going to sit on it for a bit before deciding anything because I probably shouldn't impulse buy a bunch of gear.

I definitely recommend looking at second hand gear too. You can save a shitload of money and factory refurb/reputable retailers often offer good warranties.

My first DSLR was a rebel T6i that I bought along with one of those chintzy gear bundles from amazon. Once I realized just how much better of a camera I could get for a comparable price but used, both of my subsequent primary digital bodies have been second hand.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

President Beep posted:

I definitely recommend looking at second hand gear too. You can save a shitload of money and factory refurb/reputable retailers often offer good warranties.

My first DSLR was a rebel T6i that I bought along with one of those chintzy gear bundles from amazon. Once I realized just how much better of a camera I could get for a comparable price but used, both of my subsequent primary digital bodies have been second hand.

This is correct. Used camera equipment can be a solid buy. I’ve bought many lenses and bodies used with zero regrets. eBay is good, the SA Mart camera thread is solid (when there is something to buy). I’ve also bought used from B&H and MPB. All of it was great. I have saved thousands of dollars buying used.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

FWIW I just listed a bunch of m43 stuff in the buy/sell thread in case you're interested. The E-M10 isn't weather sealed, but I'm not sure how critical that is for you.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
How lovely is the Canon EOS M100 Mirrorless? I’m looking for a separate camera for travel with a flip around screen for selfies, etc, and also not to destroy the battery on my phone while visiting locations?

I saw B&H has a kit for $349 with a 15-45mm lens, and I was thinking of buying the 22mm “pancake” lens for when I don’t need the zoom so it will fit in my coat pocket.

Other alternative is looking for a Sony RX100, which will probably run me around the same amount or even a bit more? I’m not really a big camera guy, and I think most of my pictures may be on auto setting for about 75% of the time.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
An m100 would probably be fine for your needs if you are just doing some casual travel shooting. Image quality definitely will not be an issue, but there may be other cameras that you would find more enjoyable to use. If you can make it to a camera store try some out in person.

If you want to go for an rx100 the iii or iv version has a pop up viewfinder and is around $300 used (the m100 and kit lens is even less used). Sony keeps their old models around as discount options for a really long time, but I wouldn't buy one new.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Fools Infinite posted:

An m100 would probably be fine for your needs if you are just doing some casual travel shooting. Image quality definitely will not be an issue, but there may be other cameras that you would find more enjoyable to use. If you can make it to a camera store try some out in person.

If you want to go for an rx100 the iii or iv version has a pop up viewfinder and is around $300 used (the m100 and kit lens is even less used). Sony keeps their old models around as discount options for a really long time, but I wouldn't buy one new.

Great thanks. I found a deal for the M100 with both a 15-45 and a 55-200 lens new for $400, which looked like a pretty decent deal for a beginner like me.

Not sure if I’ll still pick up that 22mm lens still, might grab it later until I can put the two in the kit through their intended use, or worst case, I don’t like photography and can just eBay the kit down the line for some $300 due to the 2 lenses it looks like.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Zarfol posted:

How lovely is the Canon EOS M100 Mirrorless? I’m looking for a separate camera for travel with a flip around screen for selfies, etc, and also not to destroy the battery on my phone while visiting locations?

I saw B&H has a kit for $349 with a 15-45mm lens, and I was thinking of buying the 22mm “pancake” lens for when I don’t need the zoom so it will fit in my coat pocket.

Other alternative is looking for a Sony RX100, which will probably run me around the same amount or even a bit more? I’m not really a big camera guy, and I think most of my pictures may be on auto setting for about 75% of the time.

Are you really wanting an interchangeable lens camera? Sounds more like a good point and shoot is more what you need. Maybe something like the Panasonic ZS100? Or the Nikon A900 or Canon G7X II?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That whole category is pretty much the same 1" sensors, I think going for the one you like the handling/interface/ergonomics of is the best bet. Can you get to a camera store to try them out? I loved my RX100 mII, a V or VA might be a decent value.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I bought a x-t30 and 18-55 2.8/4 lens and I'm going to flood this forum with the worst garbage (posts etc).

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I bought a x-t30 and 18-55 2.8/4 lens and I'm going to flood this forum with the worst garbage (posts etc).

:sickos:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Not while I’m around!

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Zarfol posted:

I've looked into the M100/200 to compliment my DSLR, but I think even with the 22mm, you'd need large pockets due to the lens protruding from the body. It sits in a kinda weird spot between the 1"ers and DSLR bodied APS-C. A Sony RX whatever/Ricoh GR was more what I was looking for.

Asides from pocketability it looks to be a very affordable, good performer and the 22mm and 32mm are very good lenses (especially the 32mm from what I've read). You can also mount EF lenses with an adapter to make it look ridiculous

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I swapped to Sony cameras a couple of years ago after being dissapointed by the 5d4 but i kept all my Canon glass.
The Sony A9 is such a fun camera to use (despite its atrocious menus) i thought it had cured me of my GAS as i have not wanted to buy any camera gear since getting the A9 (And the lackluster first Canon mirrorless offerings cemented that decision)
However it looks like my GAS was not cured after all because that new Canon camera has me daydreaming about purchasing camera gear again.

I have sunk a lot of money into Canon glass over the years and they have worked fine with the A9 but they will surely work much better with the new canon camera.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
GAS is an awful disease. I had it bad when I was a broke amateur competitive cyclist and I have it again as a not as broke amateur photographer. I recently had a sleepless night because I was so certain I wanted to sell all my gear and go back to a Rebel T3 with a kit lens and just focus on honing my skill and technique. Instead I bought a fast zoom lens for my 80D. :shobon: (it was cheap!) I can at least sell off a pair of primes when I get it

AF fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 13, 2020

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The desire to simplify your kit, move to something more fundamental, find something that will last, something that will just work is just a different flavor of GAS.

If the bloggers and youtubers aren't about the cutting edge they are usually extolling the virtues basic or out dated tech, the great deals you can get on underappreciated equipment, or how far a toy camera/lens can take you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Let's talk about filters. Specifically variable ND and polarizing filters. When I go backpacking or hiking, I'm aiming to take my X-T3, and the 10-24 and 55-200 or 18-55. When I'm around town or traveling to another city, I'm usually using the 23mm or 18-55 I'd like to keep my filter collection small to avoid shelling out for sizes I'll never use. Researching, it looks like my options would be to either pick up a filter system (LEE?) or buy filters for the 10-24 (widest lens I have @ 72mm) and then pick up filter rings for the other lenses. Is there a recommended setup for starting a filter collection?