Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

What if I said I'd use the money to pay my bills. Because that's what I'd do - just pop it in the bank.

They specifically tell you not to say that - they tell you they know the reality is that’s what a bunch of people end up doing but they want to hear more fun stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Groovelord Neato posted:

Ever since I read in Ken Jennings's book that you need to have 5 stories about yourself I knew I'd never make it past that phase of the audition process.

Oh god... my life. I have at least 5 stories about tv shows I've watched. I wonder if that would count.

Propaniac posted:

I have not seen Priscilla's ep yet, but I have agonized over whether I'd actually go on the show if I did get the call because I'd be so nervous about embarrassing myself horribly and genuinely don't know if I could withstand the anxiety of being on national TV. I have nothing but sympathy for her.

Same. I would love to go on Jeopardy and also Big Brother, but only if none of it ever aired. I think the fear of becoming an embarrassing youtube or meme would break me.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 22, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

1glitch0 posted:

Oh god... my life. I have at least 5 stories about tv shows I've watched. I wonder if that would count.

Ah, you're gunning for the "good for you" response

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I had two decent stories (I do skeleton and I ski race) but ho boy do my life stories' quality take a serious drop from there.

At least when it comes to stuff can talk about on TV.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wish I had been the nerdcore lady because causing a bunch of angry dorks to make a diss track about Trebeck because he made fun of their garbage would've been worth it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Iron Crowned posted:

Ah, you're gunning for the "good for you" response

It's probably my best gambit. I don't think I would impress Trebek. Although I did go to pro wrestling school when I was young so I'd probably lead with that, and it would probably be the only story I'd have to use. I told that to a couple friends who I had known for a few years and they were like, "Why would you not tell us that the first day we met!?" It is apparently the most interesting thing I've done in my life.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That dude had Luke Atmey's hair with Florent L'Belle's suit.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

whatever it was was hideous. it hit me halfway during the episode it was bobcait goldthwait hosting double dare.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I don't think I've ever seen an unemployed person on the show. Surely not every single person ever to be on Jeopardy has a job? Do you just make up something for your occupation like freelance aplaca duster?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

packetmantis posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an unemployed person on the show. Surely not every single person ever to be on Jeopardy has a job? Do you just make up something for your occupation like freelance aplaca duster?

They’ve had stay at home mom / dad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Duckman2008 posted:

They’ve had stay at home mom / dad.

I'm a stay at home cat dad

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
One woman billed herself as "aspiring student."

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

there've been retired people, students, etc. and i'm sure there have been people with no job, no school, no retirement. they don't really vet you beyond 'american citizen, can answer questions'. the one thing they nail down on, at least nowadays, is making sure your hometown is where you get your check. think they ran into some trouble with that a few years back and now require your current place of residence be your hometown. probably some dumb tax thing.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

abelwingnut posted:

there've been retired people, students, etc. and i'm sure there have been people with no job, no school, no retirement. they don't really vet you beyond 'american citizen, can answer questions'. the one thing they nail down on, at least nowadays, is making sure your hometown is where you get your check. think they ran into some trouble with that a few years back and now require your current place of residence be your hometown. probably some dumb tax thing.

Almost certainly.

Though I swear I heard even a season or two ago someone still got the "Originally From..." introduction.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Still can't get over that dude cosplaying as two separate Phoenix Wright villains

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Poque posted:

Still can't get over that dude cosplaying as two separate Phoenix Wright villains

My roommate really liked his outfit's color

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What part of that FJ was supposed to be the clue?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

What part of that FJ was supposed to be the clue?

Danielle Steel is notoriously prolific so it was her age and the 20-22 hour days.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

Danielle Steel is notoriously prolific so it was her age and the 20-22 hour days.

I always thought she was one of those authors that was a pseudonym for like 20 different authors.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VC Andrews's estate hired a ghostwriter after she died so the vast majority of "her" work wasn't done by her.

Nora Roberts also publishes a stupid amount of books and publishes her mystery work under the pseudonym JD Robb.

Why yes I only got that Final Jeopardy right because I worked as a receiving manager in a Barnes & Noble for nearly a decade.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 25, 2020

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

packetmantis posted:

I mean James was technically unemployed.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

I mean James was technically unemployed.

:hmmyes:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Testing is this week! Everyone ITT should take it!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Gonna take it on Thursday. I think it would take a lot for me to even get to 30 but it's still fun to dream.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I can't, it's only been 10 months since my audition :smith:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Probably going to take the central test, lest my toddler hijack the computer tonight and manage to get 45 :ohdear:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Good luck everybody! Join the goon legion of J! vets!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I've usually taken the middle-day test but historically I've gotten smoked, so I'm doing it tonight.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I tried it once, did poorly because the time limit stressed me out, and now I'm too anxious to take it again.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Good luck, everyone!

I took the test for fun. There was always that hope/dream that one day I would score well enough to get an audition, and after I think four years of trying it finally happened.

Anyway I'm a Jeopardy! Champion now, so if you're on the fence about doing it, I highly recommend.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

i'm going for the first test, on the five-year anniversary of making it to Chicago and thus the pool. i still remember that trip because I went out to dinner at Eataly the day after auditions. while waiting for my table I met some Wichita St fans who were VERY happy about their win in the NCAA Tournament that day (they were drawn against Kansas, who has long refused to play the Shockers in the regular season, and a classic Fred VanVleet performance meant that it was another early exit for KU), and when they learned I was a Mizzou grad and thus also hated Kansas we had some fun. later that night I found out that my dinner tab had been paid for and when I asked the server why, he said "that table over there told me to say 'because gently caress the Jayhawks'". didn't get on the show but at least I have a story.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Took tonight's; would call it relatively easy from what I remember of other years. Guessing close to 40?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Took tonight's; would call it relatively easy from what I remember of other years. Guessing close to 40?

yeah, I got at least 40. only ones I was stumped on were the Daphne du Maurier novel and the chemical symbol "Cu". not quite sure about the western border of Tunisia, put down Morocco as they're both part of the formerly French north African group.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I got 41/50. Seemed about the same as normal for me. Can't believe I blanked on the world series question to close it out. :saddowns: Oh well, maybe this'll get me back to my first in-person audition in almost a decade; I almost always hit around 40/50 on the online test every time I take it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I've been taking the online test for years and this was easily the easiest one I've gotten. I think I hit 40 / 50.

Can't believe I blanked on taxidermy. My brain temporarily broke and all I was getting was Tupperware.

ColonelCurmudgeon
May 2, 2005

Shall I give thee the groat now?
41 or 42 I think. My best performance by about 3 or 4. Forgot Ibsen, went Orion instead of Sagitarrius, put loving Grey instead of E.L.James, cadmium instead of copper.

ColonelCurmudgeon fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 29, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Felt very easy. I hosed up Tunisia, and instead of E. L. James I came up with E. L. Green. Probably a couple others I'm not remembering now

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
In my panic, I erased armadillo and put something else as Texas's state mammal. Because I thought "Wait, that's not a mammal."

But of course it is. I'd do great on the show.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5552
1 Leo Tolstoy
2 Centennial
3 Stephen Hawking
4 Sparta
5 Hajj
6 Thames
7 Valhalla
8 Standard
9 Lord Byron
10 San Jose
11 Ariana Grande
12 the Bulge
13 abacus
14 George Orwell
15 Frankfort
16 ear
17 armadillo
18 Emmanuel Macron
19 The Masked Singer
20 Henrik Ibsen
21 Libya
22 cause
23 Roald Dahl
24 Rutgers
25 Missouri
26 FLOTUS
27 Rebecca
28 Copper
29 Orange
30 Cuba
31 Genesis
32 Pennywise
33 potatoes
34 Anne Boleyn
35 E. L. James
36 taxidermy
37 eulogize
38 garter
39 Carl Jung
40 Salvador Dali
41 Frozen Wicked
42 Aaron Burr
43 Arbor Day
44 Rio de Janeiro
45 Encyclopedia Britannica
46 Georges Bizet
47 Sagittarius
48 Labor
49 Macbeth
50 Los Angeles Dodgers

44 -- missed armadillo, Libya, Bizet, Sagittarius, Macbeth and Dali e: and Wicked

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5552
1 Leo Tolstoy
2 Centennial
3 Stephen Hawking
4 Sparta
5 Hajj
6 Thames
7 Valhalla
8 Standard
9 Lord Byron
10 San Jose
11 Ariana Grande
12 the Bulge
13 abacus
14 George Orwell
15 Frankfort
16 ear
17 armadillo
18 Emmanuel Macron
19 The Masked Singer
20 Henrik Ibsen
21 Libya
22 cause
23 Roald Dahl
24 Rutgers
25 Missouri
26 FLOTUS
27 Rebecca
28 Copper
29 Orange
30 Cuba
31 Genesis
32 Pennywise
33 potatoes
34 Anne Boleyn
35 E. L. James
36 taxidermy
37 eulogize
38 garter
39 Carl Jung
40 Salvador Dali
41 Frozen
42 Aaron Burr
43 Arbor Day
44 Rio de Janeiro
45 Encyclopedia Britannica
46 Georges Bizet
47 Sagittarius
48 Labor
49 Macbeth
50 Los Angeles Dodgers

there's an error on that: 41 should be Wicked, as they likely confused Kristen Chenowith (the original Glinda) with Kristen Bell. Still has Howard's long-suffering wife in both of 'em.

also I got 45. missed Sagittarius, Macbeth, Libya, Rebecca and Copper.