Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Nah, before my dad had to retire due to repeated heart attacks, he made loving bank as an attorney and my mom is really good and smart at managing money/investments. My sister and I were both given ~15k for college stuff and luckily I didn't piss it all away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Overcoming the anxiety involved with big life changes that improve your career has always been worth it for me. Have realistic goals and do that poo poo, there's no time like now to better yourself.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Nah, before my dad had to retire due to repeated heart attacks, he made loving bank as an attorney and my mom is really good and smart at managing money/investments. My sister and I were both given ~15k for college stuff and luckily I didn't piss it all away.
Ah, gotcha. Depending on your age, I don't see why your folks either hold the money or would require a contract to transfer the money... But if your dad is a lawyer, I guess I get it!

I think you should move to SF.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Overcoming the anxiety involved with big life changes that improve your career has always been worth it for me. Have realistic goals and do that poo poo, there's no time like now to better yourself.

My strategy for this is just to commit yourself. The anxiety won't go away until well after you're settled, but I make plans and decisions that logically achieve what I want and just have a really aggrivated stomach/anxiety level and it passes. It's not fun, but say, huge bumps in pay and enjoyable work smooths it out real fast.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

SiGmA_X posted:

Ah, gotcha. Depending on your age, I don't see why your folks either hold the money or would require a contract to transfer the money... But if your dad is a lawyer, I guess I get it!

I think you should move to SF.

I'm 28. My mom and I had a tenuous relationship when I was a teenager. We are very opposite people and it took me leaving to become my own person and then moving back to care for her to become close. We have much more understanding and common ground now that I moved back to care for her. She still controls that account, although it is earmarked and intended for me, but I think she would still want to draw and write something up to "loan" me that money to make it clear it's not just free money, but intended for a specific purpose. I know the Meyer-Briggs isn't necessarily scientific, but my mom is a college professor and uses it as a tool in her classes - we are exact opposites in every category. It just takes a lot more for us to understand and empathize with one another, although that's something we've grown to be able to do often lately.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Thanks to all of you for your support. As a kid I was incredibly stubborn and bullheaded - I often made decisions in the spur of the moment without consideration of others and just assumed I knew best. Now I try to be more collaborative and bounce ideas off folks to make sure I'm not just being impulsive and barreling off into the great blue yonder. My dad agrees, as did my best friend when I called him, so I pulled the trigger and committed to the apartment.

I think the payoff in proximity to friends, proximity to boyfriend when/if he comes around, ability to start a job I love that doesn't depress me every single day, that actually feels fulfilling and in my degree area, a roommate I enjoy in a nice apartment I can afford in a bustling neighborhood is worth it, even if I'm having to sell some things. I'd rather have that peace of mind financially in six months with a good earning and mobility potential than minimum wage doing something I hate and have no interest in with no close friends and a pile of "things."

E: for real, thanks BFC. Even if my post wasn't necessarily appropriate for the thread, I really, majorly appreciate the input.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 25, 2014

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

The person who said BFC is a means, not an end, has it spot on. The point of being good with money is to empower you to use it in the way that makes you happiest, [i]not/i] to hoard it in a big pile and be miserable as you watch your numbers get bigger. You already know how it'll affect your financial situation to move and you don't appear to have any unrealistic expectations ("I'm going to move to LA and become famous" or "I'm going to pay down my credit cards by winning the lottery"), so if that choice is what you think will make you happiest in the long-term, then you should absolutely do it.

I'm glad you're moving back to do something and be somewhere you love. :)

(Also "my planned living situation just unexpectedly fell through but I need to move to get a better job that I feel good about" sounds like the entire point of having an emergency fund, so that sounds good with money to me.)

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 25, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mantle posted:

You know how when you're a teenager and you start paying rent to your parents but they just hold on to the money for you and then give it back to you later

Lol what loving fantasy life did you live? My parents made me pay rent, for my own medical, dental and eye glasses. I walked away from my family at 18 with only 2 grand to show after working 60 to 80 hours a week every summer and 40 during school year.

gently caress i can't imagine how much less stressed i would have been if I had all that money when I left home. Parents spent my money on drugs and booze.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I have a friend who isn't "bad" with money per se -- as in, he isn't in the habit of spending recklessly on frivolities, doesn't have debt, saves a good chunk of what he earns -- but he's just kind of sub-optimal when it comes to his savings. He apparently has three separate savings accounts at three different banks. However, despite putting away a fair amount of cash each month, he doesn't have a retirement account, and is terrified of investing in mutual funds because he heard, apparently, of "a scandal where a manager ran away with tons of his clients' money and left them with nothing", and thinks that anyone investing in the stock market is doing nothing better than gambling.

I invest in Vanguard index funds, on the other hand, after reading some threads here on BFC and The Four Pillars. I'd really like to help my friend get a bit better at saving, but I don't know how to approach him on this subject, since I'm not a ~financial expert~ or anything. What should I recommend he do / what should I say to help him get over his fear of "investment"?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

What should I recommend he do / what should I say to help him get over his fear of "investment"?

About a year ago I think I was in a similar mindset, saving up cash but just holding it in a savings account because the market kept going up so I thought I missed the boat and didn't want to invest. Then I was introduced to a financial planner that suggested a 60/40 fund to me and it was enough to "get the stone rolling" on the way to overcoming my fear and doing my own research into ETFs and further optimization. I think it was just the simplicity of investing everything into a single product that helped break the ice, and although it's not optimal due to the higher MER, it's still better than sitting in cash.

Take him there one step at a time.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

DrSunshine posted:

I have a friend who isn't "bad" with money per se -- as in, he isn't in the habit of spending recklessly on frivolities, doesn't have debt, saves a good chunk of what he earns -- but he's just kind of sub-optimal when it comes to his savings. He apparently has three separate savings accounts at three different banks. However, despite putting away a fair amount of cash each month, he doesn't have a retirement account, and is terrified of investing in mutual funds because he heard, apparently, of "a scandal where a manager ran away with tons of his clients' money and left them with nothing", and thinks that anyone investing in the stock market is doing nothing better than gambling.

I invest in Vanguard index funds, on the other hand, after reading some threads here on BFC and The Four Pillars. I'd really like to help my friend get a bit better at saving, but I don't know how to approach him on this subject, since I'm not a ~financial expert~ or anything. What should I recommend he do / what should I say to help him get over his fear of "investment"?

If he's up for reading articles, you could have him read this and this. Or maybe you can just read them yourselves and deliver the salient points. The two are a good compare/contrast about the shady kind of "investing" vs. honest mutual funds (and the protection they carry).

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

... and for those scared about the market potentially being at its peak, this: http://awealthofcommonsense.com/worlds-worst-market-timer/

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

As long as he stays clear of this, it's pretty hard to go wrong!

quote:

A Canadian startup says it will enable customers to swap their holdings between gold bullion and bitcoins, and it plans an initial public offering next year.

BitGold Inc.’s website will go live in the first quarter, co-founder Roy Sebag said in an interview today. The Toronto-based company will allow account holders to purchase bitcoins and exchange them for gold redeemable in various vaults around the world, as well as convert the metal back into the digital currency.

Customers will also get a debit card, said Sebag, 29.

Gold and bitcoin...the volatility of one is a hedge against the other, right? Talk about diversified! :downs:

Re: buddychat, I loaned 'millionaire dad' to a friend because books like that explain poo poo way better than I could. Make sure you get it back if you do though, that would be bad with money :v

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tigntink posted:

Lol what loving fantasy life did you live?
Parents spent my money on drugs and booze.

I think your perceptions may have gotten skewed, most people don't have awful parents.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Friends co-worker:

They are Jehovah's Witnesses which by itself isn't bad with money but the other stuff that comes with it is. They have a big prohibition about debt in her sect before moving up(apparently, I don't know if this applies to ALL JW's) so this sets them up to be Good With Money, right?

Wrong.

They have over $7000 on just a Kohl's charge card, and a total of $30K in debt for various items like store charge cards, general debt for bills, and vehicle loans. They were paying ~$300 a month on what they thought were their credit cards using the snowball method: paying the high interest, low balance items first. It turns out that they had used a debt consolidation service so they would pay ONE payment and they would distribute it amongst the cards and unless you explicitly tell them to pay off X balance first, they'll do it some other way (presumably the method that keeps their services needed and stretches out the debt longer). She calls in to them to ask why this one card with $700 and 20% (!) interest hasn't been paid off and lo and behold the minimum was being made on that one and the rest of it was going to other various cards with higher balances (and similarly high-but-not-as-high interest rates). She FLIPS out and wonders why this wasn't being done, despite not ever talking to them before this point.

To compound this, they want to do a missionary trip overseas for their JW program, I think to Israel or some such. After that they want to move into a leadership role with their church where you receive some ~$100 stipend a month to do full time missionary work. Their goal BEFORE doing this though was to pay off all debt and get themselves in a position to do it financially. So what does she and her spouse do? They quit their ~$40K a year jobs and go down to part time with him making ~$15k a year and her making ~$18k a year devoting the rest of their time to JW volunteer work.

And they wonder why they are having to dig into their $15K savings to pay for things when they haven't taken on much more debt in the past few months. Gee I wonder why increasing debt due to interest and voluntarily cutting in half your income is causing money shortfalls. What a strange unfair world this is!

To cap it all off they have said to hell with it and are in the process of planning for the Israel trip and still donate a portion of their income to the church. I feel bad for them because they really want to do this church thing, but their spending habits are killing any chance they have of doing it properly.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lolling @ mission to Israel.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

Mantle posted:

You know how when you're a teenager and you start paying rent to your parents but they just hold on to the money for you and then give it back to you later when you want to pay for school? Otherwise you would just blow your money on stupid poo poo?

Is this common? I never had to do that as a teenager and I don't think I've ever known anyone who did. After college yes, but not as a teenager.

Anyways, here's a story about some people I used to know who were bad at money--or really, more just bad at life in general. I used to know a family who were very into bitcoins, to the point that they were trying to start a bitcoin business and spent tens of thousands of dollars on ASICS from Butterfly Labs (which, if you aren't familiar with them, read this). They bought 6-8 of the most expensive ones and put them in a data center despite the fact that they were unable to pay the DC rates at all. Despite this, and despite the fact that it took them like six months to get the equipment from Butterfly Labs, last I heard from them, they were planning on buying 10-12 more ASICS from the company and needed some elaborate power set-up to accommodate all the ASICS at the DC which was going to cost about $12K a month. Which they also couldn't pay for. Also, the reason they decided to put their equipment in a DC was because running bitcoin miners at home was causing their house to be 90 degrees all the time.

Also, the dad is in jail currently because he tried to get millions of dollars in refunds from the IRS, and apparently this wasn't the first time he'd tried that. The mom runs an energy healing place, and both her and the dad believe in all sorts of dumb things like chemtrails, Planet X, etc. Their kid is into bitcoins too, but I still feel sorry for him because his parents have probably hosed him up for life.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

lambeth posted:

Also, the dad is in jail currently because he tried to get millions of dollars in refunds from the IRS, and apparently this wasn't the first time he'd tried that. The mom runs an energy healing place, and both her and the dad believe in all sorts of dumb things like chemtrails, Planet X, etc. Their kid is into bitcoins too, but I still feel sorry for him because his parents have probably hosed him up for life.

trying to scam money out of the IRS twice is about the level of intelligence you would expect from a bitcoin impresario

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Volmarias posted:

I think your perceptions may have gotten skewed, most people don't have awful parents.

It's still not a common scenario unless you are upper middle class or something. Growing up I had to pay rent so we could afford food and electricity and stuff. I don't know a single person who ever paid rent and then had it returned to them like that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Scenty posted:

It's still not a common scenario unless you are upper middle class or something. Growing up I had to pay rent so we could afford food and electricity and stuff. I don't know a single person who ever paid rent and then had it returned to them like that.

Yeah, understood, I'm just saying that having the money disappear up your parents' nose seems an inversion of what typically happens. Even if you're lower class and your family needs that money to pay bills that month, that's at least a reasonable use of your time.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Scenty posted:

The whole 'charge rent and then refund it to them' is common advice for parents today, and gives the kids a good foundation for their next step (an emergency fund) while still teaching them responsibility with money in the present. That said I've never heard of anyone actually having this happen to them; but theoretically, and if you can afford it, it seems like a nice setup.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm not trying to brag here whatsoever but holy poo poo this thread makes me infinitely more grateful for my parents and the financial sense they drilled into me. I feel so bad for some of these stories, aside from the ones where its completely self-induced stupidity.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

movax posted:

I'm not trying to brag here whatsoever but holy poo poo this thread makes me infinitely more grateful for my parents and the financial sense they drilled into me. I feel so bad for some of these stories, aside from the ones where its completely self-induced stupidity.

This, but my wife, a year after we started dating. :3:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

movax posted:

This except they expected me to hold down a job from the moment I was old enough, even though my dad was well off. Paper route at 12, Rotten Ronnie's at 14, waiter and delivery for a Chinese restaurant at 16. They didn't need to teach me how to manage my finances, I ended up teaching myself. All it took for me to realize I should save/spend wisely was spending all my money on worthless 90's comics for 3 years and having nothing to show for it except my enduring virginity.

If my wife and I ever have kids I'm sending the kid down into the mines the moment it's able to hold a shovel.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

lambeth posted:

Is this common? I never had to do that as a teenager and I don't think I've ever known anyone who did. After college yes, but not as a teenager.

I have Asian parents.

I never had to pay "rent" since I moved away from home for university but my younger brother did. It wasn't market rent or anything like that, maybe $200/month. It really was just to kind of have forced savings.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It came from reddit :stonklol:

quote:

So this Christmas a group of 4 of us got together and agreed to all put in 25K. We want to invest this into something that will bring decent return and not overly risky. We originally thought about putting 50K in the market into an ETF like SPY. We are all under 30 years old so a little risk wouldn't really bother us but since we have 100K to invest we were wondering what Reddit thought.

Some additional info:

100K to invest - Group of 4 investors(all under 30)

Thought about investing from things like the stock market to buying a liquor store or franchise restaurant

Our skill set: one works as a business analyst for an investment bank, one is in house counsel as a corporate lawyer, one owns a liquor store and the other is in undergrad

We are willing to use some or all of the capital

We are not really particular in the actual investment

This just tickles on so many levels.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Guest2553 posted:

It came from reddit :stonklol:

This just tickles on so many levels.

Mmmm yes let me pool $25k of my own money with my buddies, nothing will go wrong, no sir

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

movax posted:

Mmmm yes let me pool $25k of my own money with my buddies, nothing will go wrong, no sir

And we'll buy a liquor store with it! Or maybe some stocks? I don't know, but our business analyst friend totally was top of his class at Corinthian!

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

movax posted:

At first this might seem like a bad idea, but then I thought about how all my friends spend their money and now it's a terrifying idea.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

quote:

Our skill set: one works as a business analyst for an investment bank,
He's already a Vice President, so we're following his lead on this.

quote:

the other is in undergrad
Please, please, please tell me he got his 25k from student loans.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

paperchaseguy posted:

He's already a Vice President, so we're following his lead on this.

Please, please, please tell me he got his 25k from student loans.

I'm more inclined to guess mom and dad.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Ignoring what's been said already, why are you looking for business advice from an internet community primarily made up of poor college students and mid 20 year olds?

Sure I've made my own fair share of "Well Something Awful told me to do X so I guess I'm doing X" decisions, but that's for poo poo like buying electronics, not investing 100k to start a business.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

Ignoring what's been said already, why are you looking for business advice from an internet community primarily made up of poor college students and mid 20 year olds?

Sure I've made my own fair share of "Well Something Awful told me to do X so I guess I'm doing X" decisions, but that's for poo poo like buying electronics, not investing 100k to start a business.
Ugh, I agree completely. I've seen so much bad advice get posted up on Reddit's front page, from marital matters to finance, that I've nearly found myself yelling at my monitor on multiple occasions.

And even though the SA forums aren't perfect, the quality of the posts here are usually much better than most other online forums. The people here are pretty good at calling out others on BS advice, and the lack of an imaginary karma/Internet points system means that people don't post for the sake of racking up "points".

melon cat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 27, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I wonder which one of the 4 guys suggested buying a liquor store as the sound investment

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I wonder which one of the 4 guys suggested buying a liquor store as the sound investment

To be fair, if you own a liquor store in a college town, you can make bank pretty easily.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

HonorableTB posted:

To be fair, if you own a liquor store in a college town, you can make bank pretty easily.

Running a business is not easy, even if there are lots of customers looking to hand you money for booze.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone told them that they should invest in Bitcoins, yet?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, the four of us want to pool our money to buy S&P 500 ETFs.

No, we aren't doing it individually, why do you ask?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Inverse Icarus posted:

I'm going to be blunt and just say that's some stupid logic. If the income he makes is offset by the benefits he loses, he's effectively trading his time for nothing.

If he's got a roof over his head and food on the table and he wants something to do, have him take up a hobby you can help him turn into a business. He's done a lot of work with his hands, is he any good at woodworking? Does he have any other skills that create physical objects? Maybe he can build things and sell them locally on craigslist, or on etsy.

Getting a job so you "have something to do" without any real monetary incentive is insane.

I would disagree on this pretty strongly. Having a reason to get out of bed in the morning and be on time to is critically important at almost any age. If his Dad is just sitting around the house feeling sad for himself, a job may really help that. A job can be a major social outlet and a source of pride for someone, even if it nets them nothing more than sitting at home on the dole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

n8r posted:

I would disagree on this pretty strongly. Having a reason to get out of bed in the morning and be on time to is critically important at almost any age. If his Dad is just sitting around the house feeling sad for himself, a job may really help that. A job can be a major social outlet and a source of pride for someone, even if it nets them nothing more than sitting at home on the dole.

You're not wrong, but if having a job doesn't get him anywhere financially, he's probably better off with volunteering, doing some kind of freelance work, or picking up a more structured hobby. That way he gets the benefits of getting out of the house without all the bullshit that comes with depending on a job for immediate survival.

• Locked thread