Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sirotan posted:

Eh I don't know if I even remember the specifics. Just poo poo like "if you don't stop calling me I'm going to hunt you down and make you regret it". People get real mad about their phone spam I guess. :shrug:

Probably should stop calling them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Sirotan posted:

I almost never answer the phone anymore if it is a number not already in my contacts.
That's a good way to go about it. Any utility service, the government and whoever the gently caress, they all have my email on file. Want something? Send an e-mail instead. And they usually do. Unknown numbers are pretty much always spam or people with fat fingers dialing.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone here using Wireguard extensively over a mobile connection, in always-on mode? I keep having connectivity issues when my phone was too long in my pocket. My provider puts me behind CGNAT and seems to be yanking the rug from under my feet frequently (on their port mapping) when things are idle. I have persistent keep-alive configured, but whatever my mobile provider does, that won't gel with Wireguard.

Maybe trick it by changing the endpoint to a popular UDP port and hope it gets treated differently?

What's the problem exactly? Even if the CGNAT mapping times out, Wireguard should simply reconnect once your phone tries to use the tunnel.

Are the keepalives on only one or both sides of the connection? The keepalives are sent from the side you configure them on. To keep traffic moving both ways, you need to configure it on both sides. Might help the ISP realize your connection is still active (just guessing).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

After some time of phone idling, my network on the other side of the VPN becomes unreachable. And no amount of trying fixes anything (expecting it to notice and renegotiate), until I cycle the VPN connection.

I currently changed the listen ports from the default 51820 to 1194, which is the OpenVPN one, expecting the CGNAT to treat it differently. Seems to work better currently, but I'm using the phone more today, too.

Didn't know that keep alive needed to be set on both sides, gonna change that for a test. Most forum posts with configurations quoted only had it for one peer usually.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 18, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Destroy all CGNAT, thanks in advance.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If my provider would finally introduce IPv6 on mobile, that'd be nice.

I'm not sure what's dragging their asses to begin with, considering they were one of the first to roll it out wide worldwide. We've the highest IPv6 consumer adoption in the world according to Google's stats. I wonder what that'd be, if they'd start enabling it on mobile over here.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In case anyone remembers me mentioning it, there are now videos of former FreeBSD security officer and cache attack discoverer, Colin Percival, covering the history of side-channel attacks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOzClVgsWlU
It's from vBSDCon, not EuroBSDCon like I said

EDIT: And in similar news, Intel has yet another hardware solution to the OOO issues they caused, because of course they do.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 18, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol, our architecture is unfixable poo poo so lets just layer another thing on top

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol, our architecture is unfixable poo poo so lets just layer another thing on top
It is possible to fix the architectural issues by enforcing all privilege checking for speculatively executed code, but it's probably gonna slow down things even more than the software solutions do, and who knows when it'll come out in case they find some way to implement it in hardware to make it not slow.
Even worse, it'll only work for the specific things they fix, and it seems like everyone including Intel are assuming there's just gonna be more issues forthcoming.

In other news, ARM just announced a CHERI-compatible processor, so you can have hardware enforced capabilities.
It supposedly runs at ~2GHz and there's no real reason why it can't scale as well as the ARM desktop CPUs which are starting to reach 3GHz.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

D. Ebdrup posted:

It is possible to fix the architectural issues by enforcing all privilege checking for speculatively executed code, but it's probably gonna slow down things even more than the software solutions do, and who knows when it'll come out in case they find some way to implement it in hardware to make it not slow.
Even worse, it'll only work for the specific things they fix, and it seems like everyone including Intel are assuming there's just gonna be more issues forthcoming.

That helps against meltdown, but the issue in spectre is that privileged code speculating on privileged values causes side effects that unprivileged code can observe. Privilege checking the speculative path won't do much, since the speculating code is allowed to read those values just fine.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm having trouble finding good info online right now.

Does anyone know what events to look for in ADFS if a user is presented with MFA but then the MFA event fails? (they hit deny in the app or it timed out, for example)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

No but do it for yourself and check the logs, that should tell you what it is.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, I’ll do that on Monday. It was towards the end of the day Friday when I posted that and I was feeling lazy. Triggering mfa while in the office is kind of a pita because we geofence.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Co-opting the OpenVPN port for Wireguard seems to work in regards to stabilizing the connectivity. loving CGNATs.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That makes sense, I recently got hit with an attempted MFAM originating from a TRUOP connection when I was logging into FLEP and mistakenly used my ZBLOINK

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That makes sense, I recently got hit with an attempted MFAM originating from a TRUOP connection when I was logging into FLEP and mistakenly used my ZBLOINK

:frogout:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Wise guy, eh?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ThreeFDDI/status/1186277086538948608?s=20

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

NordVPN had some keys stolen 19 months ago, and just went public with it today.
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/hackers-steal-secret-crypto-keys-for-nordvpn-heres-what-we-know-so-far/

They've been quick to shift blame to the datacenter.
https://nordvpn.com/blog/official-response-datacenter-breach/

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I'm not sure what I enjoy more the obvious disclosure fuckup or the people surprised that VPN keys get stolen to enable active attacks.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Wow, I heard they delayed it but didn't know it was that long. That's incredible.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I don't even get that VPN craze. Just about every loving YouTube video is sponsored by some VPN company. "Protect my data"? From whom? The route to the website is certainly the least issue, and the data mining algorithms of the final destinations are surely smart enough to not get obfuscated by the moving geo IP.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't even get that VPN craze. Just about every loving YouTube video is sponsored by some VPN company. "Protect my data"? From whom? The route to the website is certainly the least issue, and the data mining algorithms of the final destinations are surely smart enough to not get obfuscated by the moving geo IP.

The illegal downloads you make are not seen by MPAA. And they don't, therefore, send your ISP (and to you) a nasty letter saying you should pay because you downloaded the latest lovely Hollywood movie. That's all. It's definitely not protecting you from Google (there are ways to do a better job, but there a VPN is but one of the gears in the system).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't even get that VPN craze. Just about every loving YouTube video is sponsored by some VPN company. "Protect my data"? From whom?
copyright laywers/trolls

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Every time I stay at a hotel or use public wifi I'm glad I have a VPN

Unfortunately it's Nord, thanks SA Deal

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Why should VPN providers be any less likely to rat people out to MPAA and other alphabet soup entities, when they keep logs for the explicit purpose of proving they're not at fault (even if they say they don't), once the alphabet soup entities catch on that people are using VPNs?

mewse
May 2, 2006

D. Ebdrup posted:

Why should VPN providers be any less likely to rat people out to MPAA and other alphabet soup entities, when they keep logs for the explicit purpose of proving they're not at fault (even if they say they don't), once the alphabet soup entities catch on that people are using VPNs?

The shadowy 3 letter agencies like the NSA are not following up on copyright strikes from the loving movie industry

e: maybe I misunderstood. PIA specifically doesn't do traffic logging so they can't pick out which of their customers were downloading fast and the furious 25, movie industry won't get that information

mewse fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 22, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mewse posted:

The shadowy 3 letter agencies like the NSA are not following up on copyright strikes from the loving movie industry

e: maybe I misunderstood. PIA specifically doesn't do traffic logging so they can't pick out which of their customers were downloading fast and the furious 25, movie industry won't get that information
Yeah, you did misunderstand - or, well, at least to my mind there's a difference between Three Letter Agencies and alphabet soup entities like MPAA (and all their equivalencies in other countries).

How do you know PIA doesn't log? Have you audited their entire systems? If they didn't, and someone used them to download and distribute some of the actually really incredibly gross stuff that's on the internet, they'd be responsible for it.
I don't think they want to go to prison for someone over that, do you?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

klosterdev posted:

Every time I stay at a hotel or use public wifi I'm glad I have a VPN

Unfortunately it's Nord, thanks SA Deal

Still better than nothing, and this Nord thing has been plenty blown up and exaggerated by the ~*~tech media~*~

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

D. Ebdrup posted:

Yeah, you did misunderstand - or, well, at least to my mind there's a difference between Three Letter Agencies and alphabet soup entities like MPAA (and all their equivalencies in other countries).

How do you know PIA doesn't log? Have you audited their entire systems? If they didn't, and someone used them to download and distribute some of the actually really incredibly gross stuff that's on the internet, they'd be responsible for it.

Wasn't the exactly the stand that Kim Dotcom went through when he relaunched Mega? Full encryption end to end with a disclaimer that says "don't do illegal poo poo" so that he can't be held liable again?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you have a bad ISP or use public wifi that collects traffic for mining, a VPN limits it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Has there ever been a single case where a commercial VPN provider has "gone to prison" because they didn't have an activity log? Is there any actual law behind your notion here that if your record-keeping is incomplete, you assume guilt for any crimes you failed to record?

I'm sure the FBI knows what a VPN is. They aren't stupid. They probably aren't very fond of no-log policies, but those aren't actually illegal, and I don't think they can just transfer "responsibility" for crimes in retaliation for them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Taking moment in the VPN chat to plug Algo: https://github.com/trailofbits/algo

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

D. Ebdrup posted:

They have no knowledge of what's being transmitted, and are under no obligation to keep track of who is talking to who. Also nothing is stored on their servers, they're literally just a fancy SSL tunnel and extra routing as-a-service.

The terms and conditions are also pretty straightforward. We don't look at your traffic, we don't log your traffic, don't do illegal poo poo. If we're made aware that what you're doing is obviously illegal, we ban you.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Still better than nothing, and this Nord thing has been plenty blown up and exaggerated by the ~*~tech media~*~
yeah they only kept quiet on a breach for 19 months before someone else found it out and tried retroactive pr, think of the poor company

as far as tlas if you're low on funding/a small country it's p cheap to start your own vpn company to get data on targets/software on systems compared to tapping pipes globally. you can try finding needles in a haystack or have the needles pay you to anonymise them

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 22, 2019

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
NordVPN was audited last year in regards to their no-log policy. Maybe some others have done audits too?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah they only kept quiet on a breach for 19 months before someone else found it out and tried retroactive pr, think of the poor company

as far as tlas if you're low on funding/a small country it's p cheap to start your own vpn company to get data on targets/software on systems compared to tapping pipes globally. you can try finding needles in a haystack or have the needles pay you to anonymise them

I'm not defending them dude, chill out, they hosed up. I just don't believe in the hyperbole everywhere that infosec on social media and blog sites constantly use.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Nord was apparently compromised via a Dell iDrac with default creds.

https://twitter.com/NathOnSecurity/status/1186419430256824321?s=20

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Wasn't the exactly the stand that Kim Dotcom went through when he relaunched Mega? Full encryption end to end with a disclaimer that says "don't do illegal poo poo" so that he can't be held liable again?
And now that they've seen what happens to people who do this, they're a lot less likely to do it.

Powered Descent posted:

Has there ever been a single case where a commercial VPN provider has "gone to prison" because they didn't have an activity log? Is there any actual law behind your notion here that if your record-keeping is incomplete, you assume guilt for any crimes you failed to record?

I'm sure the FBI knows what a VPN is. They aren't stupid. They probably aren't very fond of no-log policies, but those aren't actually illegal, and I don't think they can just transfer "responsibility" for crimes in retaliation for them.
See: Above.
I'm still not talking about Three Letter Agencies.
Copyright trolls aren't clever, it took them two decades to figure out people were pirating and how to clamp down on it.

Nalin posted:

NordVPN was audited last year in regards to their no-log policy. Maybe some others have done audits too?
Report is only available once they've already taken the money. I also don't know what makes pwc credited to do security auditing, since the only involvement with their auditing I know of is financial auditing. Maybe they're the worlds best? Maybe they didn't check the no-log policy. We don't know.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

They have no knowledge of what's being transmitted, and are under no obligation to keep track of who is talking to who. Also nothing is stored on their servers, they're literally just a fancy SSL tunnel and extra routing as-a-service.

The terms and conditions are also pretty straightforward. We don't look at your traffic, we don't log your traffic, don't do illegal poo poo. If we're made aware that what you're doing is obviously illegal, we ban you.
I can only ask again: How do you know that <VPN provider> doesn't log? Unless they have been audited and the report released for the public by a creditable security auditer, :iiam:

I have no doubt they stick to the TAC as a way to cancel your contract, but I don't think it's unfair of me to demand a public report on their security auditing for the claim of not logging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Nord was apparently compromised via a Dell iDrac with default creds.

https://twitter.com/NathOnSecurity/status/1186419430256824321?s=20

root/calvin oh my god I still remember this