Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I have had one or two creepy baristas try poo poo like that ("you have a beautiful soul") and what you generally do in that situation is give the standard "don't escalate DON'T ESCALATE" smile no eye contact and back away and never come back

I don't understand why anyone thinks people want to hear that stuff from a random person. What do they know about your soul? It seems more about making themselves feel good at the expense of making a stranger uncomfortable.

The fake coworker in that fake story was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It seems more about making themselves feel good at the expense of making a stranger uncomfortable.

Ding ding ding.

It's also just...teenagers, man. I would never assume either party in that coffee story was over 22.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Tumblr, Disney and an adorable precocious child :rolleye:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

The lack of fold marks indicates he has a poor attention to detail and I wouldn't hire him either.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

Tumblr, Disney and an adorable precocious child :rolleye:

Incredible restraint on the writer's part not to end this one with marriage.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Atmus posted:

The lack of fold marks indicates he has a poor attention to detail and I wouldn't hire him either.

It's a printed out email. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Paladinus posted:

It's a printed out email. :v:
Not any better, since that'd indicate he's too dumb to know how to take screenshots while applying for a computer-toucher job. :v:

(And it indicates whoever faked that was too dumb to just make an image of it instead of taking a grainy photo of something they printed out)

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
He had to print it out and take a picture.

Otherwise the cut-out bits of construction paper used to "redact" would fall off

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Seriously, dude being responded to, you should have just shown a little proper erudition and just stopped at EmmanuelGoldstein, instead of making your zany braininess SO OBVIOUS.

Okay, time for my Two Minutes Hate...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Seriously, dude being responded to, you should have just shown a little proper erudition and just stopped at EmmanuelGoldstein, instead of making your zany braininess SO OBVIOUS.

1983 other people grabbed that username first

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I'm a writer. A dreamweaver. A visionary. And you are now entering.... my post place

Some people are plumbers, that's their gift.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

:rolleyes:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

What are the odds that he rick rolls anyone who requests the video?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

"I simply returned fire on them to de-escalate the situation" is a great phrase.

EmmyOk posted:

Some people are plumbers, that's their gift.

I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, let the evidence show that the defendant killed the fucc boyz in self defense.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tunicate posted:

1983 other people grabbed that username first

I have a pathological dislike for user names with numbers in them, unless it is part of a joke or something. If I need to start adding numbers, I have had a creativity fail.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

What the perfect proof of how fake that is is that the battery is over 50%.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

My last interview lasted about 45 minutes, I think, and I got the drat job. There's no way two managers and a Rebekah (lol) would waste two whole hours on someone who was "obviously" not qualified for the position.

A candidate that bad, you wrap it up in half an hour, thank them for coming in, and send them on their way with a "we'll be in touch". I can't imagine an interview so bad that you'd want to bill for it, but I can definitely buy an interviewer being so incompetent that they don't know how to end the interview gracefully so it just drags on until they run out of questions.
A common interview structure at many big tech companies involves ~4 same-day interviews that are ~45 minutes each. At my current company, even if the candidate is obviously underqualified, we're instructed to carry through with the interview. Kicking someone out early makes it obvious that they failed horribly, and we don't want people talking about their terrible interview experience. I've done interviews where the candidate was clearly not able to work at the position, and I just gave them softball questions to kill time until my slot was over. Billing a candidate is inane, but it's entirely possible to go through a full 3+ hour interview even if you're not qualified, depending on the industry and the company's specific policies.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Just send an invoice back billing for 2 hours at $250/h. "Why did you waste my time if I you immediately knew I was underqualified? VCAT has already been notified."

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

I have a pathological dislike for user names with numbers in them, unless it is part of a joke or something. If I need to start adding numbers, I have had a creativity fail.

If you can't integrate numbers or make usernames with only numbers then that's a creativity fail in itself

like with all the ironic internet numbers there's 4! combos :cmon:

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

"I simply returned fire on them to de-escalate the situation"

I don't think you know what de-escalation is, dude

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I mean technically it's as de-escalated as it can possibly get if the armed robbers are dead.

He escalated by yelling at them and then terminally de-escalated the situation.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Terminal De-escalation sounds like a direct to video spoof of Terminal Velocity.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Terminal De-Escalation sounds like a bad death metal concept album.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Terminal Descalation sounds like a pro username

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Terminal De-escalation sounds like you ended up on the arrivals level and have to go downstairs to the departure level to check in.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Terminal De-Escalation sounds like a bad death metal concept album.

Or a good prog metal album.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I lost my job today, but I got a thread title, so there's that, at least.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bertrand Hustle posted:

you're welcomedolences :(

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 05:11 on Nov 18, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Sorry to hear that, friend.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bertrand Hustle posted:

sounds like you got de-escalated

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

tight aspirations posted:

I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

People who use subtext are cowards.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

At least it's funny...? :shrug:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Wow, I didn't know landerig was a dentist!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bertrand Hustle posted:

When I named the pyf mod thread a couple years ago, I lost my job. I think it's a goon curse.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I can definitely believe some of those. I asked my Taiwanese dentist what the Mandarin word for dental floss was and he cracked up laughing because he has enough trouble trying to get his Chinese patients to use the stuff and here I am, a big white guy, asking how to say it. We talked about a lot of stuff and got along pretty well in general.

The thing about dentists is that if you take good care of your teeth they actually like you and their job is easier and less stressful. I always chat with my dentist when they don't have stuff in my mouth. My current dentist gives her patients headphones and a heated back massager pad for long procedures. I got to have a tooth drilled and fitted with a temporary crown while listening to death metal.

It doesn't block out the sound of the drill, unfortunately, because it vibrates right through the bone, but it beats listening to HOT 106 or Kenny G.

The takeaway here is that your healthcare providers are human beings too and sometimes they are funny and weird too.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 13:56 on Nov 19, 2017

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I pay my dentist $70 for 15 minutes of work. He should love me regardless of how I take care of my teeth.

Actually I don't get the deal with pissy dentists. My dentist of 11 years retired recently and now I have to find a new good one.

I have good teeth and I take okay care of them (do floss) but my epic adventure to find a good dentist involves me trying to find someone who doesn't frown at me for what amounts to $300 an hour

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Katt posted:

I pay my dentist $70 for 15 minutes of work. He should love me regardless of how I take care of my teeth.

Actually I don't get the deal with pissy dentists. My dentist of 11 years retired recently and now I have to find a new good one.

I always go to the University for dental work because that way you get two dentists for the price of about 30% of one private dentist: the young woman* who does the work and the old woman** who checks every stage is done properly. Municipal dental care is so clogged up they usually just refer people to the University anyway. The only down-side is that it takes about twice as long because there's always a lot more patients/students than teachers. Welp that's my story about how it's handy to live in a city with a university god bless.

*) For some reason it seems very few men go into dentistry around here
**) And it seems as if it's been the same for a very long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Katt posted:

Actually I don't get the deal with pissy dentists.

Most people take poor care of their teeth, and never floss, but they hate going to the dentist and don't listen to his advice.

I think I'd be a little grouchy if "physical therapy sucks and I never do my exercises why am I still in pain" was a widespread cultural meme along those same lines.