Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't seen it but I recall that they shot a bunch of extra Charles Dance stuff because they were trying to tie it into the Universal Monsters extended universe which they've since decided against.

I'd guess they are going to do a different Dracula movie to intro him into the UMCU rather than spring for a Dracula Untold sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I guess we'll never get to see Charles dance on the big screen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker posted:

I guess we'll never get to see Charles dance on the big screen.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

He is also in the latest one, which is an incredible piece of cinema, I tell you.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

He is also in the latest one, which is an incredible piece of cinema, I tell you.

I thought it wasn't out until next year.

I have to say, the Underworld series (which I generally think is a lot of fun) is the one that I'm consistently surprised still gets theatrically-released sequels when I would've expected it to be banished to the direct-to-video realm with Rise of the Lycans. I feel like it would have been if anyone other than Kate Beckinsale wasn't playing Selene.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 21, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Rise of the Lycans

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know how there's TV series that go on forever and make you go, "Oh, is that still on?" such as Bones or Grey's Anatomy? I think Underworld is like the action movie equivalent to that.

Did Blade actually start that whole trend in superhero and superhero-like films all having that sort of black leather and shades aesthetic (because there's a look to a lot of those movies that goes beyond costuming which I lack the knowledge of film and cinema to articulate properly)?

It came out a year before The Matrix and then it shows up in Underworld, in the early X-Men movies, in LXG (which is sort of like a cross between that and the Stephen Sommers Mummy movies), that Van Helsing movie/missed opportunity with Hugh Jackman and probably a whole bunch more I'm forgetting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know how there's TV series that go on forever and make you go, "Oh, is that still on?" such as Bones or Grey's Anatomy? I think Underworld is like the action movie equivalent to that.

Did Blade actually start that whole trend in superhero and superhero-like films all having that sort of black leather and shades aesthetic (because there's a look to a lot of those movies that goes beyond costuming which I lack the knowledge of film and cinema to articulate properly)?

It came out a year before The Matrix and then it shows up in Underworld, in the early X-Men movies, in LXG (which is sort of like a cross between that and the Stephen Sommers Mummy movies), that Van Helsing movie/missed opportunity with Hugh Jackman and probably a whole bunch more I'm forgetting.

Yes, Blade started a lot of poo poo The Matrix gets credit for. It also sort of revived superhero films after Batman Forever and Batman and Robin killed them.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't feel like Blade gets enough love. It's every bit as good as the original X-Men was. Maybe better.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

I don't feel like Blade gets enough love. It's every bit as good as the original X-Men was. Maybe better.

Yeah I would much rather watch Blade than the first X-Men movie. There's no question, honestly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Some motherfuckers always trying to ice skate up hill is the phrase of the late 90s.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Blade was one of CineD's Movies of the Month about a year or two back iirc.

It's a really good flick. That opening vampire rave is extremely good.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

twistedmentat posted:

Some motherfuckers always trying to ice skate up hill is the phrase of the late 90s.

Hahahaha I still love this line.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I meant we'd never see him dance on the big screen. It was a play on words :downs:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker posted:

I meant we'd never see him dance on the big screen. It was a play on words :downs:

Haha, I see. :D

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Chickenwalker posted:

Au contraire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoFUQecRJBY

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Chickenwalker posted:

Ali G in da house.

e;fb, apparently.

Sion fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 22, 2016

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Thank you for this.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cousin Numsey!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MacheteZombie posted:

Blade was one of CineD's Movies of the Month about a year or two back iirc.

It's a really good flick. That opening vampire rave is extremely good.

The dude who was doing the analysis of the film never finished it that BASTARD.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not particularly difficult to ice skate uphill.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

It is if there's no ice.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Aphrodite posted:

It is if you're always trying to do it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It is if you're a motherfucker.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aphrodite posted:

It is if the hill is at an 80 degree incline.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Yes, Blade started a lot of poo poo The Matrix gets credit for. It also sort of revived superhero films after Batman Forever and Batman and Robin killed them.

Part of it was that both Blade and Underworld cribbed a bunch of poo poo from Vampire: The Masquerade, including the aesthetic.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Cousin Numsey!

I did not realize until this moment that he was in The Golden Child, and I have an unnatural appreciation for that movie and the RATT song that goes with it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

AbsolutelySane posted:

Part of it was that both Blade and Underworld cribbed a bunch of poo poo from Vampire: The Masquerade, including the aesthetic.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/09/08

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Right. And David Goyer wrote it too, didn't he? Depending on how you split it up, he's been involved in the modern superhero film scene* one way or another (mainly as a screenwriter and producer, I guess) almost since it began.

* You have the Superman movies, but the first big superhero movie boom period to my mind begins with Batman '89, then the second one starts with Blade. I'm not sure if that's the one we're still in, or if a new one began with either Batman Begins or Iron Man. I feel like it's Iron Man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

David Goyer wrote everything except the action and the dialogue.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Codependent Poster posted:

It is if you're a motherfucker.

Post of the thread right here.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ahem...Brother Numpsay! Dear, sweet brother Numpsay!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right. And David Goyer wrote it too, didn't he? Depending on how you split it up, he's been involved in the modern superhero film scene* one way or another (mainly as a screenwriter and producer, I guess) almost since it began.

* You have the Superman movies, but the first big superhero movie boom period to my mind begins with Batman '89, then the second one starts with Blade. I'm not sure if that's the one we're still in, or if a new one began with either Batman Begins or Iron Man. I feel like it's Iron Man.

Iron Man and Batman Begins were the relaunch of Super Hero films as a genre.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Not sure I can agree that Batman 89 started a superhero boom. Aside from the sequels to Batman what else was there until Blade came out? The Shadow and Phantom movies didn't exactly set the world on fire. I guess Spawn? Not much of a boom in there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They were not particularly successful or well-liked, but Batman 89 still is responsible for a bunch of superhero movies being slapped together and interest in the Superman revival being stoked again.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Not sure I can agree that Batman 89 started a superhero boom. Aside from the sequels to Batman what else was there until Blade came out? The Shadow and Phantom movies didn't exactly set the world on fire. I guess Spawn? Not much of a boom in there.

Dick Tracy, The Rocketeer, The Shadow, The Phantom, The Punisher (Dolph Lundgren), Captain America (Matt Salinger), Spawn, Steel.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Iron Man and Batman Begins were the relaunch of Super Hero films as a genre.

I would agree with this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Dick Tracy, The Rocketeer, The Shadow, The Phantom, The Punisher (Dolph Lundgren), Captain America (Matt Salinger), Spawn, Steel.

Wasn't the Dolph Punisher film shot in 1987 and it sat in a drawer for a few years?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Batman 89 created a boom, then Batman & Robin killed it, then Batman Begins was there to usher in a new era. As Batman goes, so does the genre I guess.

So if the Batfleck film is reviled, everybody's screwed!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Spider-Man and X-Men were pretty damned big and in the middle of all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

Batman 89 was kind of the end of the Superman The Movie genre

• Locked thread