Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

I actually have a SD2IEC coming for it, it's been sort of a project for me lately to get all my computers running some kind of flash solution. though unlike the A500 my C64 is NTSC which kinda limits things (and simply importing a PAL machine is not as easy because the C64 doesn't output RGB)

I love my SD2IEC, it's incredible. I need to put it in a housing though, I worry having bare circuitboards just laying there, especially with the IEC being essentially two boards connected together by pins/headers. I'm going to bump into it, and *snap*.

I've been feeling the itch to trawl craigslist for C64 stuff again. Last time got me two totes full of games/boxes/manuals/miscellaneous stuff and two C64s [one dead one working], and it was wonderful.

Also what stick is that? I don't think I've ever seen a stick like that before, is it on the Amiga or the C64?

I could've used that aprospand thing as a kid, I used to switch between carts a lot. I never had a fastload growing up though, you'd think that would've taught me to be more patient than I am now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The thing with 5 and 6 is that they both have several stretches where you can just run through without even trying to fight or play well and despite taking a few hits you'll get through and there'll be a big energy just pre-placed there. Outside of the original 3 and 4 are the hardest for me. The original can be VERY hard to go back to because the controls aren't as tight and on top of that the hit detection for moving platforms will completely screw you over in some areas (Ice Man's especially). 5 has Gravity Man's stage though which is just awesome. I wish 6 didn't half-rear end the exploration the Rush suits and the alternate routes. Like Yamato Man's stage is basically two totally different levels depending on which suits you have, but all the other ones are just like a single extra hallway.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Random Stranger posted:

You know, as great as the roster in Marvel vs Capcom 2 is (and it's really great), I think I prefer the previous game more. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 feels like the directive was "Well, we're losing the license so throw loving everything into this game even if it doesn't really work." Marvel vs. Capcom just felt more together to me.

I was disappointed that most of the assist characters in Marvel vs. Capcom weren't fully playable in the sequel. No Arthur, Jubilee, or Michelle Heart? Boo!

Heran Bago posted:

Old video games are no laughing matter.

Especially not Primal Rage 2, which someone apparently got working in a custom MAME build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoadscC_ySM

Edit: If Primal Rage is too serious, you can try out the also-unreleased Super NES version of Quik the Thunder Rabbit.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 24, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Kid Fenris posted:

If Primal Rage is too serious, you can try out the also-unreleased Super NES version of Quik the Thunder Rabbit.
Which isn't a clean dump, but has been modified after-the-fact by the uploader.

I still expect it'll be good enough for most of us in here, but just lettin' ya know.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Quiet Feet posted:

Also played some Lufia: Fortress of Doom tonight and holy poo poo that game is grindy as a whole bag of gently caress.

This was one of the first RPGs I fell in love with, so every time I go back and try to replay it I realize I've forgotten about this, as well as inconveniences like the lack of automatic retargeting. But it's still a totally charming game with a lot of character, an unforgettable ending, and an intro that's so good they made a prequel out of it. What I'm saying is it's an absolute blast if you're a 10-year old with all the time in the world who hasn't gotten bored of JRPG conventions yet.

For everyone else, just skip it and play Lufia II with the bugfix patch.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 24, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

Also what stick is that? I don't think I've ever seen a stick like that before, is it on the Amiga or the C64?

That's a Powerplay Cruiser, hooked to the C64. I'm not sure if it was ever actually sold here, I got it from a UK seller a long time ago. It's microswitched and has adjustable tension and really great feeling tactile buttons but the actual stick movement doesn't feel as good/precise as a Competition Pro, which is what I have hooked to the A500 on a Y-splitter along with a genesis pad because these type of joysticks really don't work well with a lot of the games on the Amiga imo (but at the same time, there are a bunch that only feel right with them). I'd like to find a Zip Stik one day because from what I understand it uses tactile buttons like the Cruiser but has a stick that feels more like a Competition Pro.

e: multi-colour was a big selling point i guess

d0s fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 24, 2017

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
MvC1 is way more cohesive and 1000% better at being a fan-service thing but MvC2 is just like a million times more fun to play

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm a terrible person who really doesn't like Capcom fighters outside of Darkstalkers and (gasp) MVC3, but I really love the "super move text" thing that MSH does.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

Goddamn Capcom put out too many amazing 2D fighters in the late 90's. I'm totally a button mashing scrub when it comes to fighting games and even I look at their output then and go, "How did they do that many fantastic games." The only real stinker I can think of from their 2D fighting games between 1995 and 2000 is Street Fighter: The Movie.

The weirdest one of theirs came out in the late-2000's; Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nah, Capcom put out much weirder poo poo during their heyday - people forget they actually released quite a few 3D games: Star Gladiator and Plasma Sword, Techromancer, Heavy Metal Geomatrix, whatever that Spawn game was called, in addition to the more well-known stuff like Power Stone and Rival Schools, etc.

As for more modern games, Onimusha Blade Warriors and Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble are pretty awful.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The weirdest one of theirs came out in the late-2000's; Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

I've got a copy. I have been kicking myself for not getting a few Wii fight sticks for $5 each on clearance to use with it.

And Castlevania: Judgement I guess. :v:

TvC feels like such a throwback, especially since Capcom hadn't been making games like that in forever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

the funny isn't my responsibility, it's everyone's job to make this thread great, again

I have a fountain of terrible eurogames (and not terrible demos) now thanks to the HXC floppy emulator that came in the mail, this thing is badass

I got the external model because this thing is compatible with a bunch of different systems that use floppies, there's some voodoo you have to go through to get the amiga to boot from the drive hooked to the rear port rather than the internal one but it's worth it to keep the original internal drive installed and working and the case not hacked up

e: also I don't want to say I told you re byuus games but I FUCKIN TOLD YOU LMAO

Where do you recommend getting one because my Amiga and C64 have been collecting dust for 7 years now.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Rollersnake posted:

This was one of the first RPGs I fell in love with, so every time I go back and try to replay it I realize I've forgotten about this, as well as inconveniences like the lack of automatic retargeting. But it's still a totally charming game with a lot of character, an unforgettable ending, and an intro that's so good they made a prequel out of it. What I'm saying is it's an absolute blast if you're a 10-year old with all the time in the world who hasn't gotten bored of JRPG conventions yet.

For everyone else, just skip it and play Lufia II with the bugfix patch.

It definitely wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for the inability to target individual monsters (instead of the just the group they're in) or the lack of re-targeting. It seems your characters prioritize the least damaged enemy 90% of the time, which means you're taking hits from multiple enemies who are only a few hit points away from dead instead of just one healthy one that will drop next round.

Edit: would also like to add that the names of the spells are really dumb. Why do you call a healing spell "strong?"

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 24, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Now I'm interested in knowing what the Japanese spells are. Usually weird spell names are either literal translation or lack of characters.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

al-azad posted:

Now I'm interested in knowing what the Japanese spells are. Usually weird spell names are either literal translation or lack of characters.

The Japanese spells were (at least in some cases) just syllables that didn't mean anything in particular, IIRC. Strong, Stronger and Champion were Est, Estori and Esreet, while the lightning spells were Ray-Gi, Ray-Gio, and Ray-Gion.

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 24, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nah, Capcom put out much weirder poo poo during their heyday - people forget they actually released quite a few 3D games: Star Gladiator and Plasma Sword, Techromancer, Heavy Metal Geomatrix, whatever that Spawn game was called, in addition to the more well-known stuff like Power Stone and Rival Schools, etc.

As for more modern games, Onimusha Blade Warriors and Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble are pretty awful.

I actually own Plasma Sword and Tech Romancer. Both Power Stones too :v:.

But at this point I'd pretty much have to rob someone for a copy of Rival Schools to get that at anything close to a sane price.

Random Stranger posted:

I've got a copy. I have been kicking myself for not getting a few Wii fight sticks for $5 each on clearance to use with it.

And Castlevania: Judgement I guess. :v:

TvC feels like such a throwback, especially since Capcom hadn't been making games like that in forever.

I've got a copy too, loved that drat game :allears:. Loved that they even dragged in Frank West's english VA for it too. My only disappointment is they didn't put the Samurai Pizza Cats in (well, the proper original Japanese characters).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've got a copy too, loved that drat game :allears:. Loved that they even dragged in Frank West's english VA for it too.

I really get the impression that TvC was a labor of love for everybody involved and it winds up showing in the game. Shame that the platform means that hardly anyone is aware of its existence (which is the case for 95% of the awesome third party games on the Wii), but I suppose there's a remote chance of a Marvel vs. Capcom 2 like re-release a decade from now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

I really get the impression that TvC was a labor of love for everybody involved and it winds up showing in the game. Shame that the platform means that hardly anyone is aware of its existence (which is the case for 95% of the awesome third party games on the Wii), but I suppose there's a remote chance of a Marvel vs. Capcom 2 like re-release a decade from now.

Given how many franchises are involved, that Tatsunoko licensing is probably a tangled web of insanity capable of making any lawyer beat themselves to death with their own briefcase out of frustration.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given how many franchises are involved, that Tatsunoko licensing is probably a tangled web of insanity capable of making any lawyer beat themselves to death with their own briefcase out of frustration.
In addition, the game didn't really grab the attention of fighting game fans for too long due to some issues with the game mechanics. I forget the details, but I know the Fighting Games megathread was talking about why it got dumped from tournaments etc. not too long ago.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

al-azad posted:

Where do you recommend getting one because my Amiga and C64 have been collecting dust for 7 years now.

Lotharek sells the emulators directly if that's what you're after, Rev C is the external cased design and there are standard and slim bay versions available.

I think he has an Ebay shop too, but I've always ordered my lotharek stuff from his webpage direct.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Prism posted:

The Japanese spells were (at least in some cases) just syllables that didn't mean anything in particular, IIRC. Strong, Stronger and Champion were Est, Estori and Esreet, while the lightning spells were Ray-Gi, Ray-Gio, and Ray-Gion.

Dragon Quest did this too. The basic heal spell is called "hiomi" in Japanese, which is gibberish. It was probably wise of the translators to give us more descriptive names. "Blazemore" vs "Gurzst" or whatever. The brits who do the modern games came up with onomatopoeic stuff like "Frizz" and "Whack" which I think is a happy medium between the two. Although I usually get "Dazzle" and "Fizzle" mixed up.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
All I know is that Gifoi must be better than regular Foi, or else Phantasy Star IV would've given me Foi first.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I actually curious on the Pseudo Saturn...can you buy another Pro Action Replay to use as one and be able to swap it out once in game to get the memory card function?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rirse posted:

I actually curious on the Pseudo Saturn...can you buy another Pro Action Replay to use as one and be able to swap it out once in game to get the memory card function?

It has to initialize at system turn on. Not intended for hot swapping. Also the cart slot is not that great and handles numerous insertions poorly to the point the pins won't contact the board properly.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It has to initialize at system turn on. Not intended for hot swapping. Also the cart slot is not that great and handles numerous insertions poorly to the point the pins won't contact the board properly.

Mod chip it is then. Do I need to wait for the Saturn to come in to determine if I need a certain version of the Phantom chip?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Rirse posted:

Mod chip it is then. Do I need to wait for the Saturn to come in to determine if I need a certain version of the Phantom chip?

No

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

Got the HXC itself and the df0 selector switch from http://amigastore.eu/en/ , shipping to the US was no problem. Got the cable for connecting it to the rear port from this auction. For the C64 I just bought the cheapest SD2IEC on ebay.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Dumb question, but do you simply burn the files directly to a disc, or is there something to do image-wise with them? My brain may be making this far more complicated than it actually is.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Dumb question, but do you simply burn the files directly to a disc, or is there something to do image-wise with them? My brain may be making this far more complicated than it actually is.

Burn what? Saturn ISOs? I just burn them as is at 1x.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Star Man posted:

It's me, I'm the world's only fan of Star Gladiator that picks Hayato in MvC2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

Got the HXC itself and the df0 selector switch from http://amigastore.eu/en/ , shipping to the US was no problem. Got the cable for connecting it to the rear port from this auction. For the C64 I just bought the cheapest SD2IEC on ebay.

Quoting for later. I need a new frontier to explore and PC games are probably where it's going to be at.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

No, I mean the files to convert the Action Replay into Psuedo Saturn. They come in a zip file; some part of my brain can't accept that the Saturn could just be made to read random disjointed files burnt to a CD without some sort of encapsulated format (iso).

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Shlomo Palestein posted:

No, I mean the files to convert the Action Replay into Psuedo Saturn. They come in a zip file; some part of my brain can't accept that the Saturn could just be made to read random disjointed files burnt to a CD without some sort of encapsulated format (iso).

I'm not the person to comment on that. I don't use a Psuedo Saturn as I have a modchip instead.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Rirse posted:

That's not how the Action Replay works anyway. You can store extra saves into the Action Replay, but not use it as an actual memory card.

Also on burning it, there's an iso in the correct download for PS Kai,at this link.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 25, 2017

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Onimusha Blade Warriors isn't so much awful as it's dumb and weird. I knew about the collecting souls thing but I did not expect Super Smash Bros. style items during the fights I tried. So it stays in the collection for now, being mediocre as hell.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Star Man posted:

It's me, I'm the world's only fan of Star Gladiator that picks Hayato in MvC2.

I pick him too :shobon: In the original games I liked playing as Saturn Dyer tho because he was a goofy looking alien with kick rear end plasma yo-yos.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Onimusha Blade Warriors isn't so much awful as it's dumb and weird. I knew about the collecting souls thing but I did not expect Super Smash Bros. style items during the fights I tried. So it stays in the collection for now, being mediocre as hell.

I keep meaning to pick up Onimusha Blade Warriors entirely on the basis of it being kind of weird.

I haven't had enough time for weird old games lately. :( The most playing I've been getting is Order of Ecclesia which I've been playing in bed each night. Not to spoil things too much for when I finish it but I think it's really good.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yay my N64 is finally working proper with Monitorburn's help. Had to sent it back to him originally due to a cord getting loose the first time he mailed it, so it caused color issues and plaster to appear in game. Those issues are all gone and now I have to get used to the N64 having no blur and aa enabled so everything looks so clean.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Actually I did a TON of testing a few years ago on this. There is absolutely no difference on what speed you burn discs on for reading them on a Saturn or any other disc based system. Maybe 20 years ago when we had slow 300 MHz machines with awful IDE burners with no underpin protection but any computer made in the last 10ish years you should have no problems at all.

Just burn stuff as fast as they will go, it is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Djarum posted:

Actually I did a TON of testing a few years ago on this. There is absolutely no difference on what speed you burn discs on for reading them on a Saturn or any other disc based system. Maybe 20 years ago when we had slow 300 MHz machines with awful IDE burners with no underpin protection but any computer made in the last 10ish years you should have no problems at all.

Just burn stuff as fast as they will go, it is fine.

Habit.

• Locked thread