Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Koramei posted:

Huh has this actually been discredited? It was never supposed to imply that they were idiots, just that their brains weren't conditioned to process giant unnatural wooden poo poo floating on the sea. I'm not remotely qualified to talk about this but from my understanding it was suppposed to be similar to the tribe in the Kongo jungle not conceptualizing depth or the Aboriginal one that exclusively used cardinal directions- or if you wanna flip it, how in our society we can't conceptualize in cardinal directions without a lot of help.

It's not about them being too primitive to understand what a ship is, I'd always heard it as an example of how convoluted and complicated human thought process can be.

The Aztecs utilized very large floating platforms for housing and planting. Im the they had a good grasp of large floating structures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yenXG5sfq14

There's a part 2 as well, but that should be linked in the description.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

. . . And that confederate musterschreiber's name was Cpl. Hyronimous Mendelsohn HeyGal

You are making more sense by the second :v
Out of curiosity what state were they in?
I don't remember the website I found them on, so I forget. But people with that last name were in the north of the South and the south of the North.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Deptfordx posted:

The worst thing about the new show. I literally found myself muttering aloud 'Shut up. You shouty idiot' at one point. Should have let Mike Loades present it, with the good Dr as backup.

Mike Loades would call everyone wimps for playing this out on a computer, then force the contestants to throw themselves off horses so they could get an idea of what being in a battle was really like.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Oh God. Brian Blessed presenting that show would be awesome.

'BLOOD. BLOOD. GET STUCK IN. YYEEAAHHGGGRRHHHH'

Edit: https://youtu.be/nIciw2Rgz50?t=316

You might be able to re dub an episode with the voice work he did for wars of the roses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DECN_HTrGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC-zEGweMGE

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mycroft Holmes posted:

This conversation made me think. We know the Nazis tried to rework pretty much every facet of German culture and life, even to the point of starting their own christian denomination. What did the Nazis do about Christmas?

Well they banned Krampus.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Post your favourite Christmas greetings!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nenonen posted:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

This is also decent: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_in_Nazi_Germany

As could be expected, they tried to remove the jewish dude. The more esoteric ersatz-pagan horseshit Himmler came up with didn't seem to catch on so well, though I must admit I haven't been able to find out much about it.

Nenonen posted:

Seasons greetings with Jólakötturinn, the icelandic yulecat that will loving eat you if you're not good!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Get two more BUFFs and then it'll be interesting. (Arc Light was kind of a thing that was basically a small nuke's worth of RDX.)

E: how much ruining your day does a BUFF carry? It's kind of a lot either way, conventional or nuke. Just maybe add a couple zeroes to the yield for the latter.

E2: Looks like the late Vietnam version carried drat near half a kiloton of steel and RDX, or more than one 15 megaton H-bomb? Yikes.

E3: My father called in three Arc Lights during his time in the Army. They was a religious experience.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 13, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tias posted:

Seasons greetings with Jólakötturinn, the icelandic yulecat that will loving eat you if you're not good!

quote:

The Yule Cat (Icelandic: Jólakötturinn or Jólaköttur) is a monster from Icelandic folklore, a huge and vicious cat said to lurk about the snowy countryside during Christmas time and eat people who have not received any new clothes to wear before Christmas Eve.

The threat of being eaten by the Yule Cat was used by farmers as an incentive for their workers to finish processing the autumn wool before Christmas. The ones who took part in the work would be rewarded with new clothes, but those who did not would get nothing and thus would be preyed upon by the monstrous cat.

"Hey Olaf, I need you to stay overtime today because a fierce monster will eat you otherwise"

Christ what assholes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Catpitalists.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Nenonen posted:

"Hey Olaf, I need you to stay overtime today because a fierce monster will eat you otherwise"

Christ what assholes.

Bosses: Inconsiderate and unnecessary since 400 A.D. :anarchists:

Don't get me started on the morality for children. Between the 12th and the 24th( I think) each day will come a "yule dude", sons of the christmas mother, who each embody a bad behaviour. Kids are supposed to learn these and not repeat them, and they place a shoe in their windowsill. If they're good, there's a sweet. If they're not, there's a potate - and you best believe potaties will get you a cat-eatin' :eng99:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tias posted:

Bosses: Inconsiderate and unnecessary since 400 A.D. :anarchists:

Very appropriate av/title/post combo.

Also very displeased by the slandering of the noble spud as a harbinger of cat death.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Any significance to the date 400AD?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tias, have you been to D&D again?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i;m the Yule Dude

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

i;m the Yule Dude

I'm Santa Knut

quote:

On St. Knut's Day (13th January), there has been a tradition somewhat analogous to modern Santa Claus, where young men dressed as a goat (Finnish: Nuuttipukki) would visit houses. Usually the dress was an inverted fur jacket, a leather or birch bark mask, and horns. Unlike Santa Claus, Nuuttipukki was a scary character (cf. Krampus). The men dressed as Nuuttipukki wandered from house to house, came in, and typically demanded food from the household and especially leftover alcoholic beverages.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr Enderby posted:

I feel like what your asking for is primary sources for Puritans/Roundheads laying into Christmas, and I'm not sure I know any of those. But there are definitely Royalist sources accusing their opponents of doing that

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-series/acts-ordinances-interregnum/p954

(this before Cromwell was the Big Cheese, btw). It wasn't so much abolishing Christmas as abolishing celebrating it, i.e. having fun as opposed to reading the Bible, though.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

feedmegin posted:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-series/acts-ordinances-interregnum/p954

(this before Cromwell was the Big Cheese, btw). It wasn't so much abolishing Christmas as abolishing celebrating it, i.e. having fun as opposed to reading the Bible, though.

Mike Duncan has a supplemental episode in his podcast series on the English Civil War (well, the ECW section of his series on Revolutions). It's only a little over 8 minutes:
http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/2013/12/supplemental-the-war-on-christmas.html

Tias
May 25, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Very appropriate av/title/post combo.

Also very displeased by the slandering of the noble spud as a harbinger of cat death.

Icelandic people are loving terrifying, and also awesome.

Rockopolis posted:

Any significance to the date 400AD?

No, I just picked a rando date iceland may have come up with their crazy-rear end death cat legend.

Siivola posted:

Tias, have you been to D&D again?

How could you tell? :sigh:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Tias posted:

No, I just picked a rando date iceland may have come up with their crazy-rear end death cat legend.
Ah.
:pseudo: Iceland wasn't settled until like, the 8th or 9th century.
I was hoping you go big and just say "since the Holocene Epoch" or something. :anarchists:

Tias posted:

How could you tell? :sigh:
Hey, if there's one thing this thread has reinforced, it's the idea that violence is a common and widely accepted solution to just about every issue imaginable.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'll tape a tactical pike to an AK and join Tias on the barricade in an orgy of Pagano-Christian social revolutionary violence!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Actually, are there any good books or stories about making or keeping peace? Like treaty-making and avoiding war and such, not just making a desert and calling it peace. I figure I need a change of pace for the holiday season.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rockopolis posted:

Actually, are there any good books or stories about making or keeping peace? Like treaty-making and avoiding war and such, not just making a desert and calling it peace. I figure I need a change of pace for the holiday season.
here is a peace, not peace itself
https://www.amazon.com/Rites-Peace-Napoleon-Congress-Vienna/dp/006077519X

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Hey, thanks! Kindle version's only six bux.

I needed to read more anyway. Where's the WWI day by day book? The Goon one.

Also, what do you imagine the Milhist Thread's Secret Santa gifts to be like? Kinda hard to make a surprise gift of a pike.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rockopolis posted:

Also, what do you imagine the Milhist Thread's Secret Santa gifts to be like? Kinda hard to make a surprise gift of a pike.

Death Traps.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Rockopolis posted:

The complete works of Niall Fergueson

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Rockopolis posted:

You're thinking of 1914: These Are Our Masters and 1915: The Pale Battalions, both by thread regular Trin Tragula, and both available exclusively on the Amazon Kindle.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Rockopolis posted:

Get a collapsible pike with sections that screw into each other.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Replacement window panes. Or a trampoline.

Argus Zant posted:

You're thinking of 1914: These Are Our Masters and 1915: The Pale Battalions, both by thread regular Trin Tragula, and both available exclusively on the Amazon Kindle.
Great, thanks!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Don Gato posted:

The complete works of Niall Fergueson

Why do you hate Secret Santa.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
This is probably too nebulous a question for a proper answer, in which case anything that'd help me parse it clearer would be nice, but, what turns a civil war from unrest in the population to an armed conflict? I guess I'm more specifically asking how rebels get organised, because I can easily see a big protest turning violent and martial law being declared, but how do you go from that to a state where there's something that can be considered an armed conflict? Is it just that states in places that have civil wars are so weak that they can't have a response everywhere to wide-scale unrest, and so parts of the country become rebel "held" with little violence that gives them somewhere to rally? Or, since I've also read about the importance of mountains, does everyone who hates the government run for the hills and somehow get guns?

Tias
May 25, 2008

spectralent posted:

This is probably too nebulous a question for a proper answer, in which case anything that'd help me parse it clearer would be nice, but, what turns a civil war from unrest in the population to an armed conflict? I guess I'm more specifically asking how rebels get organised, because I can easily see a big protest turning violent and martial law being declared, but how do you go from that to a state where there's something that can be considered an armed conflict? Is it just that states in places that have civil wars are so weak that they can't have a response everywhere to wide-scale unrest, and so parts of the country become rebel "held" with little violence that gives them somewhere to rally? Or, since I've also read about the importance of mountains, does everyone who hates the government run for the hills and somehow get guns?

From the dictionary:

Organized, large-scale, armed conflict between countries or between national, ethnic, or other sizeable groups, usually involving the engagement of military forces.

I doubt there's a consensus on when it happens, but a prerequisite is the presence of enough armed political dissidents to challenge the national police and military forces for control( which usually makes the situation detetoriate further, as cops and soldiers usually aren't too keen on firing on friends and family).

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Another major part of it is escalation & crackdowns by the government such that armed resistance and overthrow of the government is seen to be the only way to enact change. It takes two to tango, it's not just about the armed dissidents.

Having said that the whole "armed dissidents" bit is why dicatatorial countries like Belarus get nervous when there is a civil war on their border, as cheap weapons are currently flooding into Belarus from Ukraine which is not a good thing if you rely on force as one of the ways to keep your population under control.

Tias
May 25, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Another major part of it is escalation & crackdowns by the government such that armed resistance and overthrow of the government is seen to be the only way to enact change. It takes two to tango, it's not just about the armed dissidents.

Having said that the whole "armed dissidents" bit is why dicatatorial countries like Belarus get nervous when there is a civil war on their border, as cheap weapons are currently flooding into Belarus from Ukraine which is not a good thing if you rely on force as one of the ways to keep your population under control.

Yeah, I wasn't being clear enough, by "dissidents" I meant people who are convinced they have to remove their own government by force.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The International Community seems to take a bit of a 'you'll know it when you see it' approach but my metric for civil unrest transitioning into a civil war would be actual loss of control of territory by the government to a competing group that seeks to take the role of the state.

i.e. it's the difference between not being able to administer a city because there's rioters on the streets every day and you can't get anything done and not being able to administer a city because there's nobody left there who will pick up a phone call from the central government and anyone you send over there will get shot.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

spectralent posted:

Someone talked about rebellion against the government somewhere mostly in the context of america. Rebelling against the government is really hard, you have to legitimately be in such desperate straits that going up against a strong government is preferable to the alternative (starvation, genocide, poverty. etc.). On the other hand if the government is so weak it topples with a push then rebellion is a very viable prospect.

For organizing rebels there are always some leaders people that other people flock to naturally for leadership. Community leaders, a local union head, religious leaders, professor at the local university, . People that already are looked up to at the community at large which makes them rallying points for rebels.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Does anyone have that picture of the Thirty Years War soldier in short shorts sitting down on a stump or something, where the artist has clearly lovingly depicted this dudes juicy thighs and bulging calves?

Asking for a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Soldiers Of The Past: THIGHS, CALVES AND BOOTY EDITION.