Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

How balanced is the game now a days? Heard about ranked thinking about jumping back in to the centurion spam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Play game for fun - np.
Play game for serious - p.

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus
Ok does anybody still play this because I did all that auth BS and there's not even a channel for it on the discord anymore. I'm probably stupid and doing something wrong.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I do occasionally? The game isn't fun for long periods of time tho. And takes up a metric fuckload of space on my ps4.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

The only times I bother playing this game is when my friends that I made in this game invite me for a premade Dominion. The team modes is what separates this from fighting games in a good manner. Always fun to talk some poo poo while playing. Makes the salt more tolerable too.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I do pretty regularly on PC. There isn't any other game really like it. Mostly with randoms though.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
How's the general skill level of the PC population? I stopped playing halfway through season 2 and I'm worried I'm gonna come back to people who can parry every light attack.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

How's the general skill level of the PC population? I stopped playing halfway through season 2 and I'm worried I'm gonna come back to people who can parry every light attack.

definitely not up there. Random heavies will probably get parried, but generally the skill level is such that you'll only find someone who can reliably parry even heavies every dozen matches or so. Much higher if you play duels on the reg obviously.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most people you play against will not be able to reliably parry lights, but the 60fps response time on the PC version does make parries and CGBs easier to pull off, I'd imagine.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Playing that tournament thingy, while fun, has once again reminded me just how incredibly finicky the dodge windows are. I can parry stuff quite reliably, sometimes even lights, but I can count on one hand the amount of times where I saw an attack wind up and managed to dodge it without getting tracked.

Also, just remove Centurion from the game already jesus gently caress

http://i.imgur.com/Z4VZVu1.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/ZJnM66W.mp4

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Speaking of tournaments, I'm loving it.

Also people are really bad.

In my 20 qualification matches, I died 5 times across all my matches. With lawbringer.

I'm not normally anywhere near that good.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

So I learned something kinda bad involving the Story mode. The various buffs/nerfs that have happened to all the cast members that are involved in the multiplayer don't apply here. I noticed this when the Orochi in the samurai campaign hit like a loving wet noodle even when stabbing a PK. Unless there's some sort of damage dampener for playing it with a friend or something idk what was up.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Perestroika posted:

Playing that tournament thingy, while fun, has once again reminded me just how incredibly finicky the dodge windows are. I can parry stuff quite reliably, sometimes even lights, but I can count on one hand the amount of times where I saw an attack wind up and managed to dodge it without getting tracked.

Also, just remove Centurion from the game already jesus gently caress

http://i.imgur.com/Z4VZVu1.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/ZJnM66W.mp4

Ubisoft is now focused on the new assassins' creed and in Far Cry 5 and the game is giving less cash than Siege's trinkets so that poo poo will never be fixed.

Just go play something else :rip: game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Mans posted:

Ubisoft is now focused on the new assassins' creed and in Far Cry 5 and the game is giving less cash than Siege's trinkets so that poo poo will never be fixed.

Just go play something else :rip: game.

Centurion is literally being nerfed tomorrow

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Centurion is literally being nerfed tomorrow

Don't forget that Shinobi's also getting a small buff, which is nice too. And maybe they'll even fix Shugoki's moonwalking! And.. Something else.

But yeah, Cent nerf incoming is nice. I might actually be able to play him now without feeling like utter scum.

'Course, probably not... I've been enjoying Conq and Shuggy too much recently.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I play the Warden lol

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009
Hey, Warden is still solid, and you can still annoy people to hell with vortex > lights > vortex > lights etc etc!

Also I'm at work right now so I can't check, is the discord still active? I still kinda suck at the game and trying to find more people to practice against so I can finally stop being trash.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sporkie posted:

Hey, Warden is still solid, and you can still annoy people to hell with vortex > lights > vortex > lights etc etc!

Also I'm at work right now so I can't check, is the discord still active? I still kinda suck at the game and trying to find more people to practice against so I can finally stop being trash.

If you're on PC, hit me up! I'm Steel_Magnolia on uplay.

I actually also just bought this for $5 on PS4. Excited to see the difference!

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

If you're on PC, hit me up! I'm Steel_Magnolia on uplay.

I actually also just bought this for $5 on PS4. Excited to see the difference!

Groovy, I'll add ya when I'm home. Actually, that's a good point, I'm NotAMouse on Uplay, anyone feel free to add me.

Share how it is on PS4 too, I'm interested if there is a real significant difference between PC and console.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Lower frame rate on console plus usually more input lag. It's a harder game I think.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I actually prefer playing on PS4 (I own it on pc too). The population is higher so the matchmaker does a good job of placing you with your skill level (I mainly play 1v1). Plus console is filled with thousands of literal 420weedlordxbongx players who are terrible (just like me).

The lower frame rate on console really reduces the ability to block 100% of lights. While this can be frustrating vs a PK, if you try and sit and block, I think it opens the game up from the defensive meta found on pc. The game can be a lot of fun if players are letting attack strings rip instead of waiting to parry the opposing player. It also lets more characters move set be used because you no longer have to stick to only the fastest attacks to have a chance of getting past your opponents guard.

Edit: captain__beans (two underscores because I'm so cool) on PSN if anyone is looking for games on PS4

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 5, 2017

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

I actually prefer playing on PS4 (I own it on pc too). The population is higher so the matchmaker does a good job of placing you with your skill level (I mainly play 1v1). Plus console is filled with thousands of literal 420weedlordxbongx players who are terrible (just like me).

The lower frame rate on console really reduces the ability to block 100% of lights. While this can be frustrating vs a PK, if you try and sit and block, I think it opens the game up from the defensive meta found on pc. The game can be a lot of fun if players are letting attack strings rip instead of waiting to parry the opposing player. It also lets more characters move set be used because you no longer have to stick to only the fastest attacks to have a chance of getting past your opponents guard.

Ooh. That actually makes sense.

To be fair to the PC community, I usually don't get -too- bad of matchups in Duels, it's just whenever I'm dumb enough to queue for Dominion that I end up on teams where my side is like Rep 8, 10, 34, 3 and theirs is 60, 62, 98, 87 and it gets frustrating quick. Honestly though, I'm usually losing no matter what mode I play aside from bots, because as said, I am kinda trash at the game. But I have fun with it, so who cares. I can't even get mad at 'balance' issues because I suck too much to notice if something is broken about a character. Heh.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Beans posted:

The lower frame rate on console really reduces the ability to block 100% of lights. While this can be frustrating vs a PK, if you try and sit and block, I think it opens the game up from the defensive meta found on pc.

This is a really fun analysis. I played a bit on PC early on (probably a beta) and you are 100% correct. On console it becomes a matter of understanding your opponent instead of reacting to each hit. I still wish the game was 60 FPS on console, but it's fun.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So how has this game been since April? Some new classes have come out it looks like but how is balance? and the connection issues?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So how has this game been since April? Some new classes have come out it looks like but how is balance? and the connection issues?

As far as balance goes for the new characters:

Centurion - Was high tier, now heavily nerfed and doesn't seem that great anymore. Was never really as broken as people say besides wallsplat combos being bullshit, but was still obnoxious to fight and deserved most of the hate he got. Losing half your health because you made a single mistake was never fun, and he still gets a lot of guaranteed damage off a parry even after the nerf.
Shinobi - The most annoying character in the game to fight, spends the entire match running away and is the only one with ranged attacks. Buffed yesterday in the same patch that nerfed Centurion, and I really wish they hadn't done so. Close to impossible to attack with certain characters like Shugoki since they'll just keep backdashing away and you're too slow to catch up or hit them with anything. I hate this dumb character and wish they would straight up remove it from the game.
Gladiator - Really good, well designed character. Maybe slightly overpowered on account of the zone attack being a quick unblockable bash into a guaranteed hit, the rest of the kit seems fair enough. Fast attacks that are hard to predict like the other assassins with more bash moves for mixups.
Highlander - My new main, but I'll admit he's not a great character and probably low or bottom tier. Has no good way of initiating besides forward dash + heavy, his lights are terrible, and he has to change stances to use most of his good attacks. Doesn't get a guaranteed heavy off guard break or parry unlike almost all other characters, only a light or the first hit of his zone attack. Guard break range is bugged, so you'll go to grab people right in front of you, whiff, then get punished. Really unique, technical character but in dire need of buffs and bug fixes to make him competitive.

Connections issues are still around, though generally not a problem for me personally. Duels and brawls work fine for the most part, 4v4 modes like dominion occasionally have problems when the host leaves and it tries to migrate everyone to a new one. Generally the connection problems seem kind of random, with some people reporting constant disconnects while others have no issues. They've released a bunch of patches to address it but I've never had problems so I don't know if they made much of a difference for the people who were.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'll chime in with balance is kinda relative too, if you're terrible like me you don't see much difference between a top tier and 'bad' character, heh.

Centurion's kit is still good, he got a couple needed nerfs but you don't get trapped in wallsplats anymore and can actually dodge his jabs. Pretty well balanced now it seems.

Shinobi is awesome, and got a slight buff that makes him a lot better for sustainability. Yes, annoying to fight, but also kinda fun and still has some big weaknesses like parries/CGB on his range hits.

Gladiator is well summed up. Good character.

Highlander is probably the most fun of them, though in terms of balance seems less good than some just because he's slow and some of his hits don't seem to land as hard as they should. That said, he still hits like a truck, and the mix-ups he can pull off are pure awesome. Plus just great stylistically, swinging around a giant sword and swatting people around the map. Very cool.

I haven't had much connection problems since I came back a month ago, maybe 4 or 5 drops but nothing terrible at least for me. Still fun if you can keep salty feelings at bay.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

They actually fixed the highlander's guard break distance bug like a week or two after he came out.

I've always been a big for honor fan so I might be biased, but only very rarely do I encounter problems. I legitimately can't think of the last time I was kicked out of a game due to connection problems. It used to happen maybe once or twice in a session, nowadays I don't think I've gotten one in a month and prior to that it was once a week or two. Connection is very much improved. Though that being said I'm having an odd issue where I can never find a tournament game. Almost certainly a router issue mind you.

Balance, eh. I'd say balance is in a weird place where there's a couple low tier characters (highlander, conqueror) who are legitimately not very well balanced characters, everyone else chucked at various levels in the middle tier (shugoki and kensei on the low end, Warden and Centurion on the high end), and high tier is probably gladiator, maybe warlord.

The point is that while there are always going to be some balance issues where one character is a bit over tuned, another undertuned, I'd honestly say balance is in a really good place now that Centurion got his much needed Nerf.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Gladiator being a better version of Valkyrie makes me a little salty as someone who played valk a lot from launch.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

They actually fixed the highlander's guard break distance bug like a week or two after he came out.

I've always been a big for honor fan so I might be biased, but only very rarely do I encounter problems. I legitimately can't think of the last time I was kicked out of a game due to connection problems. It used to happen maybe once or twice in a session, nowadays I don't think I've gotten one in a month and prior to that it was once a week or two. Connection is very much improved. Though that being said I'm having an odd issue where I can never find a tournament game. Almost certainly a router issue mind you.

Balance, eh. I'd say balance is in a weird place where there's a couple low tier characters (highlander, conqueror) who are legitimately not very well balanced characters, everyone else chucked at various levels in the middle tier (shugoki and kensei on the low end, Warden and Centurion on the high end), and high tier is probably gladiator, maybe warlord.

The point is that while there are always going to be some balance issues where one character is a bit over tuned, another undertuned, I'd honestly say balance is in a really good place now that Centurion got his much needed Nerf.

I'm gonna say I think Peacekeeper is still right up there with Gladiator.

Warlord I'm still trying to figure out. I juuust picked him up this morning for the first time in literally 6 months, and... I kinda fell in love. Trying to figure out actually how to use him effectively is the next step, heh.

Balance point is good though. Especially since they're also planning to 'rework the meta' somehow in the near future, who knows what's gonna happen to the balance at that point.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dreylad posted:

Gladiator being a better version of Valkyrie makes me a little salty as someone who played valk a lot from launch.

Yeah, Valk is just... eugh. I love her style and like the mechanical concept, but goddamn it's just such a struggle to get anywhere with her. After prestiging her a second time I decided to finally give Orochi a try for the first time, and the difference is just night and day. With Valk you jump and feint and stagger and trip and work your rear end off just to whittle down your opponent agonisingly slowly. Then with Orochi I could basically just throw out random attacks whenever and end up doing way more damage than even the more elaborate Valk combos could. You can still be successful with Valk, but the effort/results balance is just completely out of whack.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I might switch off of Warden. I like his style but I feel like everyone else has more tools. I liked being a cool rear end crusader dude but idk anymore. Are any classes similar?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Agoat posted:

I might switch off of Warden. I like his style but I feel like everyone else has more tools. I liked being a cool rear end crusader dude but idk anymore. Are any classes similar?

I've been maining lawbringer recently. He's actually pretty drat good, though more due to everyone else getting worse.

also his executions are sick and he looks like a space marine.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 6, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Agoat posted:

No class has more tools than warden

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe I'm just bad.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

Agoat posted:

I love the look too, but I just could never get things rolling with Warden. Something about his style just never jived with me. Closest too him would probably be Raider or Kensei in terms of being pretty straight forward, but Kensei has a lot fewer tools. Maybe Centurion would be kinda similar too with the unblockables and flow? I dunno. All the characters feel pretty different to me.

Warden does have a lot of tools though. Crushing counter on top attacks, reliable GB on parry, vortex and charged vortex, double light attacks on the sides, heavies hit hard... Warden is solid.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

lol yeah they do

Gladiator is an easy one

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Have they done anything to fix the quote unquote defensive meta yet? Really sucked not having any tools to open people up with when they can just sit there blocking forever and fishing for a parry for guaranteed damage.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Have they done anything to fix the quote unquote defensive meta yet? Really sucked not having any tools to open people up with when they can just sit there blocking forever and fishing for a parry for guaranteed damage.

For the most part, yeah. Chip damage is a real concern and that does a surprising amount. Plus many heroes have decently safe openers these days. Some, like kensei and berserker not so much, but mind games compensate for a loss.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

And supposedly there's a big overhaul to the 'defensive meta' coming in the near future, according to the Devs. Who knows what exactly that'll be, but I'm tentatively hopeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Postoyevsky posted:

lol yeah they do

Gladiator is an easy one

more tools play gladiator than warden?