Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT1zXiYqcfA

What a weird fuckin' character choice.

(New main though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Banana Guard unironically more hype than Joker

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Feels like a “We had the model so might as well” character given he was part of Finn or Bugs’s kit. Forget which.

Doesn’t seem like the kind of thing you do with a sub-30 roster, but again it feels like they had the assets already so they decided to make a character of it. So it’s not “taking” a spot or anything.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

no, he most definitely IS stealing scooby doo's character slot. and i'm furious about it

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I saw a thread for the reveal video on reddit and there's like no positive reactions there lmao.

I can't wait to try him.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZKLaD66PQs

I hope this is a taunt or victory pose.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

banana guard is a piranha plant kind of pick. im into it. the odd picks are part of Smash's appeal and if you're going to mimic Smash you might as well use what works

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sea Lily posted:

banana guard is a piranha plant kind of pick. im into it. the odd picks are part of Smash's appeal and if you're going to mimic Smash you might as well use what works

I dunno, Piranha Plant was weird in moveset as well as concept. Banana Guard just seems really plain on the whole.

The weirdest part is that this is one of their few new characters for the relaunch.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Apparently the last character for the new release is datamined as Jason Vorhees, which might be interesting!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I would like to be a fighting banana.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm more excited for Banana Gaurd than Joker. I love the spear moveset. The helicopter move looks very satisfying to use.

That being said, it's funny for him to be considered a "joke" character considering how simple and not weird his moveset looks. It's not really the same as Piranha Plant

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Skeletome posted:

Apparently the last character for the new release is datamined as Jason Vorhees, which might be interesting!

Isn't he a rights nightmare right now?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sea Lily posted:

No, I demand more anime swordmen.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Lammasu posted:

Isn't he a rights nightmare right now?

that's been sorted out, I believe. it is what killed the friday the 13th game, but since then things got settled.

but i didn't hear Jason was datamined, just that he'd been speculated. people were thinking it was Johnny Bravo until the 'Jason Universe' announcement hit twitter and then just decided it was Jason instead, was what I'd seen? i'd love to see any actual datamined stuff for Jason though. love that murderman

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sea Lily posted:

that's been sorted out, I believe. it is what killed the friday the 13th game, but since then things got settled.

but i didn't hear Jason was datamined, just that he'd been speculated. people were thinking it was Johnny Bravo until the 'Jason Universe' announcement hit twitter and then just decided it was Jason instead, was what I'd seen? i'd love to see any actual datamined stuff for Jason though. love that murderman

This is why Jason is currently going around:

https://twitter.com/AusilMV/status/1791585104982081839

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I'm more excited for Banana Gaurd than Joker. I love the spear moveset. The helicopter move looks very satisfying to use.

That being said, it's funny for him to be considered a "joke" character considering how simple and not weird his moveset looks. It's not really the same as Piranha Plant

I remember he used to be some kind of item summon in the old version, and if that memory is true he got the assist trophy upgrade treatment rather than being made from scratch.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Wait, there were items in Multiversus?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah what lol.

I played a bunch of the game and I don't remember items at all.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

If you pick Bugs and crouch he digs in a box and tosses out random items.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Are these bananas related to the pyjama bananas?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Reiley posted:

If you pick Bugs and crouch he digs in a box and tosses out random items.

Did that happen in ranked too?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

Did that happen in ranked too?

I'm fairly certain it always happened, I think there were some other moves that spawned items when you broke something but it's been a while since I've played. There was some kind of ray gun that shot Rick and Morty guys, and I remember banana guard just ran forward with the spear. There were definitely Items and he was almost certainly one of them.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I do remember seeing banana guards once or twice, but I figure most Bugs just didn't bother with the move when they had all that melee goodness to enjoy

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
There's actually 18 items that can spawn in the game!

Only 6 of them are actually from anything.

The Banana Guard is from the TV Item, which summons either Banana Guards or pie throwing robots (both from Adventure Time).

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Oh, right, Bugs had that Acme crate he could drop. Either drop it from the air or spawn it on the ground and knock it at people. Breaking those open also spawned the items, and he used the crate a lot. The items themselves were small and easy to miss, though, so it makes sense to not remember them.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

this is going around

https://twitter.com/FumoLeaksMk1/status/1792387898639052934

and there's a big trailer hitting tomorrow morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX5AUVIAg_o

the tags on this video list every character who's appearing in it, which includes the reveals of Jason Voorhees, The Powerpuff Girls, and Agent Smith. so we'll see those soon.

including Joker and the banana guard, that's five new characters for the relaunch, which is pretty respectable.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Jason Takes Banana

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

love thicc jason

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Honestly I was not hyped at all for Jason but now that I know he's a big beefy boy I'm way more interested

Agent Smith instead of Neo is strange

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 20, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Jason is fat fat faaat

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Just give me Gandalf from the original concept art already, holy poo poo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jason Takes Steroids

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Agent Smith instead of Neo is strange

They are seemingly trying to do the Smash thing of giving villains a showing in addition to the heroes.

Gimme Mojo Jojo!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I do wonder what demographic the game is aiming for, as it's colorful and goofy and seems to appeal to kids. But a ton of the characters are things I imagine kids aren't super into. Like, Jason and Agent Smith are cool to me, but I'm a decrepit adult that grew up with those franchises.

Then again, if you are going to run a free-to-play game, I guess pandering to the nostalgia of people with disposable income is the better move.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Diabetic posted:

Just give me Gandalf from the original concept art already, holy poo poo.

Not happening since the new LOTR rights changing hands mid development pretty much doomed a LOT of LOTR stuff they planned

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's a bunch of teases for other characters as well

Daffy
Dexter
Powerpuff Girls
Scooby
Marceline
Wicked Witch
Raven (no idea which one)
Robin (TTG)
Samurai Jack maybe?
Aquaman
Green Lantern
Pinky and the Brain
And the water tower itself could be for Animaniacs, they were datamined at one point

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 20, 2024

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Have they said if they changed Perks at all?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

fadam posted:

Have they said if they changed Perks at all?
No, but do you really think they'll give up that sweet sweet money from boosts?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

No, but do you really think they'll give up that sweet sweet money from boosts?

I’m fine if they keep the system in, I just hope they make the perks more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Cool character picks recently but I won't play this game until Jack is in it.