Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Why do you own the game Capcom looked at and said, "Yes, lets rip this off but add even more annoying mechanics"

Yes, why would Corn in the Bible own a game of dubious quality. Why indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Corn why do you own/buy all these games of dubious quality?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
My game collection has a subset of really lovely games. lovely games sometimes own?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

My game collection has a subset of really lovely games. lovely games sometimes own?

I hold nostalgia for dark stone. I even purchased it on steam when I saw it. What kind of monster am I?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

esperterra posted:

Stuff like that can get pretty noticable depending on where you live or if you move to places w/ wildly different daylight times. Like I used to live up North and my whole life I was used to the sun going down at like 11pm and starting to come back up again at like 3:30am during the summer and ridiculously short days during the winter. I moved further south and the days don't change so wildly here.

Granted, I also have to change my clock for DST now and where I grew up we didn't use it. So that could be part of it too tbh though the hours of daylight to nighttime are still pretty different.

I grew up in the southern US and now live in the northern part and it comes out to an extra hour more/less daylight on the solstices. It always feels like I'm off-kilter in the winter and summer even though I've lived up here for 15 years, something just won't adjust.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Bruceski posted:

I grew up in the southern US and now live in the northern part and it comes out to an extra hour more/less daylight on the solstices. It always feels like I'm off-kilter in the winter and summer even though I've lived up here for 15 years, something just won't adjust.

In Alaska, some people use certain lights to produce vitamin D to prevent seasonal affective disorder caused by the lack of sunlight. Depression and mental illness is kind of a big thing up here in general. It isn't dark 24/7 even at the peak, but it can be twilight by 5 pm and before 11 am. Once again though, summers are fantastic. Once it really starts up you get some twilight after 11 pm at the most.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

lobster22221 posted:

In Alaska, some people use certain lights to produce vitamin D to prevent seasonal affective disorder caused by the lack of sunlight. Depression and mental illness is kind of a big thing up here in general. It isn't dark 24/7 even at the peak, but it can be twilight by 5 pm and before 11 am. Once again though, summers are fantastic. Once it really starts up you get some twilight after 11 pm at the most.

Yeah, I get the same thing. Physically I find it easier to be nocturnal but mentally I get very depressed and loopy unless I stay on days.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That sounds like the world itself telling you "hey fucker don't live in a refrigerator"

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Gologle posted:

That sounds like the world itself telling you "hey fucker don't live in a refrigerator"

Eh, I came up here when I was a kid and still have things I want to do up here. I definitely want to move to the lower 48 someday.

And I won't stop noting, Alaska in the summers are great. Tons of sun(when it isn't raining) and outdoor hiking. The temperature is perfect too. I miss thunderstorms though. we only get cold grey drizzle, which suck.

I think I got us sidetracked.

Chocobo's are pretty weird, right?

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 28, 2018

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I live almost at the equator and when I visited a country in the winter I kept feeling weird when it got dark so early.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I live underground with dwarves.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mega64 posted:

I live underground with dwarves.

Lali-ho! :hfive:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ciaphas posted:

Corn why do you own/buy all these games of dubious quality?

On the back of the box it looked like a Resident Evil clone ok

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

lmfao

Barudak posted:

Yoko Taro deserves a shot at Brave Fencer Musashi

gently caress you.

Seriously.

I didn’t know I wanted to play this until I read your post, and it will never happen :cry:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I didn’t know I wanted to play this until I read your post, and it will never happen :cry:

just play regular musashi but pretend everyone starves to death at the end

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
So thread, I've always been interested in FF8 but never actually bought it because I hear so many dissenting opinions about it. Whoever here played It, can you tell me what are the strongest and weakest points to It? I'm looking for perspectives on the story and characters mostly.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The trick is to live north enough you only get like 7 hours of sunlight, and it's like 9:30 to 4:30 so if you have a 9 to 5 job you just literally never get to see it. A+ would recommend.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Meallan posted:

So thread, I've always been interested in FF8 but never actually bought it because I hear so many dissenting opinions about it. Whoever here played It, can you tell me what are the strongest and weakest points to It? I'm looking for perspectives on the story and characters mostly.

It is, for good and for ill, somewhat akin to an over excited child attempting to tell you a story. Its muddled, dreamlike, characters come and go as the situation demands, nearly nothing about the setting makes sense, and massive contrivances in plot abound. This also means its chockful of cool and interesting things and setpieces in a way most other FF games arent; just they dont really ever connect into a whole.

Characterwise if you arent Laguna, Squall or Rhinoa youre not getting character development.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Finally Fantasy has awesome set pieces. Story and character wise it's a jumbled mess. If you like breaking battle systems over your knee then you'll love it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I think FFVIII has pretty funny moment to moment scenes but the overarching plot is fairly uninteresting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Dollet Invasion is so fuckin' cool though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v6BtJaBQmo

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FFVIII doesn't have a super great plot, but it's got a solid soundtrack and it's easy enough you won't have to bang your head against the wall. It's a pretty chill FF.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ Yeah, FFVIII's soundtrack is fantastic. It's some of Uematsu's best work IMO

Meallan posted:

Barudak pretty much covered it.

I actually think disk 1 and most of disk 2 are absolutely awesome from a story perspective. Cool setpieces, an interesting world, and a legitimately fascinating villain. Then the end of disk 2 comes around and things really go off the rails from there. Not only does the story never quite recover, it just spins off wildly in extremely strange directions and never really finds its way back to being coherent at any point. The cool setpieces don't stop, I guess.

I feel like Squall's character development takes place entirely in the amount of time it takes you to take out disk 2 and put in disk 3 and that's a real shame, because I think overall his reputation for being just boring and mopey is undeserved. Yeah, he's depressed, but he's also a legitimately good leader who cares about his comrades. He's also fairly convincingly written as a confused teenager who falls in love and doesn't know how to process it. But rather than a slow development from that state into who he is at the end of the game, it sort of happens like flipping a switch, which is unfortunate.

I could go on for a while about the gameplay and how I think, much like the story, it has very cool ideas that are botched in execution, but I'll refrain since you're more interested in the story.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
FF8 is a game of Ideas and Setpieces:
Dollet invasion is cool (and the raddest final exam ever).
The assassination attempt while complete nonsense that was literally destined to fail was a cool idea, but it involved a sewer level (thanks Rinoa).
Your principal hands you a magical lamp that contains the devil and that's just awesome as all hell.
Half the party breaks into a missile base to deal with an enemy army being kinda terrorists, while the other half go home and settle a civil war.
Galbadia Garden invasion is somehow even cooler than Dollet.
The dorkiest loser in the world becomes the President of the magical futuretech city that he was actively fighting against.
gently caress yeah let's go to space and I guess maybe kind of steal a spaceship that was thought to be lost forever. It's ours now.
It's really, really dumb but I love that you just let the bad guy win and collapse all of time just to waltz into her evil castle that exists in a pocket dimension and just like... kill all of her mooks and then her with minimal effort.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
One thing I will give to FFVIII, they made the moon loving terrifying.

Imagine if Lunar Cry was a real phenomenon.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

FFVIII doesn't have a super great plot, but it's got a solid soundtrack and it's easy enough you won't have to bang your head against the wall. It's a pretty chill FF.

IX is the best FF, but VIII is still my favorite.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Your principal hands you a magical lamp that contains the devil and that's just awesome as all hell.
Half the party breaks into a missile base to deal with an enemy army being kinda terrorists, while the other half go home and settle a civil war.

FFVIII's take on "fantasy world that somehow reached modern technology" is so great and I wish FFXV was as playful with it.

Like, look at these two things side-by-side. This is a setting where the principal of a military academy hands recent graduates a magic lamp containing the devil (who you can go inside the magic lamp to fight and force into magical servitude, of course) and also those same characters can later go and break into a modern missile base to prevent a long-range missile launch.

This game's setting is nuts in the best way possible. Some day I want to run a tabletop RPG in that kind of world, a sort of "what if relatively standard high-magic fantasy setting, but also technology progressed to the point of having cars and space programs and poo poo"

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Hey so, thread, I've been replaying FF7 lately and I've just reached Nibelheim and been reminded of something that has been mulling around my head for a while - why do the dudes in black cloaks give you items?

Sephiroth loving with Cloud?

Jenova cells calling out to Jenova cells and helping each other out?

It seems so arbitrary.

Edit: Vincent: "I won't speak."

Yuffie: "That's alright, it was probably depressing anyway." :allears:

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 28, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

Characterwise if you arent Laguna, Squall or Rhinoa youre not getting character development.

What about Zell's game-long quest for leftover cafeteria hotdogs while lowkey banging a librarian? Don't tell me that wasn't thrilling writing.

Echoing others in saying that VIII is a game of great moments that don't quite fit together right. It extends to the gameplay as well as story, (big old IMHO) the junction system was a really cool idea but horribly balanced. I'd say it's worth playing if you enjoy/don't mind ps1 era ff gameplay, as those setpieces and the excellent soundtrack make up for the overall messiness. Plus the craziness gets pretty funny if you don't take your games too seriously.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think FFVIII kinda gets unfairly singled out as being a mess with the story and characters. Just about the whole series and, hell, the genre in general share those issues and oftentimes to an even greater extent. But most of those also aren't quite as fun and entertaining as FFVIII.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF8 has the impressive feat of pulling off the dumbest plot twist in the series too, and that alone is amazing considering the rest of the series.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For me, it's just the stark contrast between how good the first half is and how crazy and unfocused the second half is. FFVIII disks 1 and (most of) 2 are so drat good. Exploring the weird medieval fantasy world/modern society mash-up is fun. Edea is a great villain--creepy, mysterious, and it actually makes sense that Seifer would fall under her glamour and devote his life to her. Squall is a believably lonely teenager confused by his emotions, and it's cool when he steps up and shows confidence as a leader during the battle with Galbadia. It's all great until the orphanage twist, which is still kind of okay, then disk 3 just sends everything off into "I can't possibly care about any of this anymore" territory.

Other FF games have poorly-told stories (or just plain bad ones) but even in this series it's rare to encounter such a drastic and sudden shift from "legitimately quite good" to "I want to get off this ride now please."

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The problem with VIII is that it fully committed itself as being about Squall and Rinoa and then forgetting to make the player actually care about their relationship. I remember being baffled at the idea that Squall and Seifer were supposed to be rivals for Rinoa's affection, considering she and Seifer don't share a single scene together until literally the end of the game.

Seifer in general was hard to take seriously since he never accomplished anything and did nothing but lose to Squall the entire game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please do not forget that the ancient people whose knowledge and culture who ruled the entire planet but were lost to time are only about 80 years extinct in a world that has had global satellite television for at least 30 years.

Basically the only way the narrative makes any sense is if you “just go with it” or if you assume the bizzarre mishmash of “this area is steam locomotion tech, this area is motorcyles and basketball, this area is a continent wide megacity with holographic cloaking and forcefield surrounding it.” Is sue to time kompression already being in effect when the narrative starts.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Cavelcade posted:

Hey so, thread, I've been replaying FF7 lately and I've just reached Nibelheim and been reminded of something that has been mulling around my head for a while - why do the dudes in black cloaks give you items?

Sephiroth loving with Cloud?

Jenova cells calling out to Jenova cells and helping each other out?

It seems so arbitrary.

Edit: Vincent: "I won't speak."

Yuffie: "That's alright, it was probably depressing anyway." :allears:

Side effect of Reunion i guess?
Probably the devs wanted to encourage talking to the clones to drive home the point that there are a lot of other hosed up people following the same trail as you.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Why was Adel a giant buff dude despite being called a sorceress?

e: v a) it's kinda crazy that they put confirmation of Squall's parentage in one line of completely missable dialogue.

bloom fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 28, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also FFVIII has the most kickin rad cosmology of the entire franchise but a) the majority of it is a one time permanently missable conversation with a super specific window to get it and b) despite being the basis for the entire games theme of witches never once comes up in the main stort or furthers anything

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

Also FFVIII has the most kickin rad cosmology of the entire franchise but a) the majority of it is a one time missable conversation and b) despite being the basis for the entire games theme of witches never once comes up in the main stort or furthers anything

Is there more to it than the Lunar Cry? I want to read about cool fantasy cosmology

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Harrow posted:

Is there more to it than the Lunar Cry? I want to read about cool fantasy cosmology

Look up Hyne.

Long and short FFVIIIs god and source of sorcery magic is so detached from their own creation he burned human children alive because he thought they were just mindless automatons ruining his view, to which the humans rose up and kicked gods rear end so he shed his body to escape/bargain with the humans whose women became tainted by his sorceror powers and so humans vowed to hunt god down and finish their revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harrow posted:

^ Yeah, FFVIII's soundtrack is fantastic. It's some of Uematsu's best work IMO

Barudak pretty much covered it.

I actually think disk 1 and most of disk 2 are absolutely awesome from a story perspective. Cool setpieces, an interesting world, and a legitimately fascinating villain. Then the end of disk 2 comes around and things really go off the rails from there. Not only does the story never quite recover, it just spins off wildly in extremely strange directions and never really finds its way back to being coherent at any point. The cool setpieces don't stop, I guess.

I feel like Squall's character development takes place entirely in the amount of time it takes you to take out disk 2 and put in disk 3 and that's a real shame, because I think overall his reputation for being just boring and mopey is undeserved. Yeah, he's depressed, but he's also a legitimately good leader who cares about his comrades. He's also fairly convincingly written as a confused teenager who falls in love and doesn't know how to process it. But rather than a slow development from that state into who he is at the end of the game, it sort of happens like flipping a switch, which is unfortunate.

I could go on for a while about the gameplay and how I think, much like the story, it has very cool ideas that are botched in execution, but I'll refrain since you're more interested in the story.

I replayed it semi recently (first time playing as a grownup) and I liked squall’s arc a lot more than I expected to. I remembered him as an annoying mopey “what a pain...” rear end in a top hat but as you say, that’s just him at the beginning. His transformation from an angsty “I don’t need anyone” teenager to a “i now understand that friends are important” teenager is surprisingly sweet. It just needed a little more time in the oven

Also, quistis should have been at least like 28