Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I replayed it semi recently (first time playing as a grownup) and I liked squall’s arc a lot more than I expected to. I remembered him as an annoying mopey “what a pain...” rear end in a top hat but as you say, that’s just him at the beginning. His transformation from an angsty “I don’t need anyone” teenager to a “i now understand that friends are important” teenager is surprisingly sweet. It just needed a little more time in the oven

Also, quistis should have been at least like 28

Quistis should also not have been Squalls teacher jeeeeeesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

Look up Hyne.

Long and short FFVIIIs god and source of sorcery magic is so detached from their own creation he burned human children alive because he thought they were just mindless automatons ruining his view, to which the humans rose up and kicked gods rear end so he shed his body to escape/bargain with the humans whose women became tainted by his sorceror powers and so humans vowed to hunt god down and finish their revenge

drat that is extremely metal.

I actually kind of admire the game's restraint in not turning into a "let's finish hunting down god" plot at some point, but at the same time I really wish the whole Ultimecia and Time Kompression thing never happened and Edea had been the villain the whole way through, because Edea was cool.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I replayed it semi recently (first time playing as a grownup) and I liked squall’s arc a lot more than I expected to. I remembered him as an annoying mopey “what a pain...” rear end in a top hat but as you say, that’s just him at the beginning. His transformation from an angsty “I don’t need anyone” teenager to a “i now understand that friends are important” teenager is surprisingly sweet. It just needed a little more time in the oven

I think what makes Squall so believable to me is that, even though he never truly shakes off his depression, he's not just that one-not depressive teen the whole way through. He has moments even early on where he steps up and defends other people, serves as a competent leader, and makes hard decisions with a clear head. When the stakes are high, Squall steps up in a way that feels really human. The confident, heroic guy he becomes at the end was there the whole time and slowly becomes more prominent throughout the story--that's good stuff.

Early on, too, his relationship with Rinoa seems to have a lot of shades of "I don't like me so why the hell would you?" going on, which combines with a feeling of inadequacy because of her past relationship with Seifer to make it impossible for him to connect with her. The only real criticism I have about Squall's development, now that I think about it, is that I think that conflict is resolved too suddenly early on in disk 3 (if I remember correctly). Everything else is actually handled really well.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 28, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Edea should have been the villain all the way through, beating her is a big part of why the plot falls apart on disc 3. And yeah, Squall goes form swimming in self doubt to “put up or shut up” in his assault on Galbadia Garden and then thats basically it, the self doubt doesnt reappear until the ending. Like theres a much better game thats disc one and two dragged out because discs 3 and 4 feel like direct to video sequels with how little they have to do with each other or the preceding events.

As for Hyne you dont need to fight them for an endboss, but any sort of in game nod to it and what being a sorceress means would have gone a long way to shoring up some of its dificienes.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Cavelcade posted:

Hey so, thread, I've been replaying FF7 lately and I've just reached Nibelheim and been reminded of something that has been mulling around my head for a while - why do the dudes in black cloaks give you items?

Sephiroth loving with Cloud?

Jenova cells calling out to Jenova cells and helping each other out?

It seems so arbitrary.

Edit: Vincent: "I won't speak."

Yuffie: "That's alright, it was probably depressing anyway." :allears:

My understanding was that the Sephiroth clones in the town were created from the corpses of the original Nibelheim villagers, who still regard Cloud as one of them and want to help him. Otherwise it doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Barudak posted:

so he shed his body to escape/bargain with the humans

He bargained that he would give half his magical body to the humans, and it turned out he just shed his skin and gave the humans some worthless skin instead of powerful magic. Hyne is great.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bloom posted:

Why was Adel a giant buff dude despite being called a sorceress?

e: v a) it's kinda crazy that they put confirmation of Squall's parentage in one line of completely missable dialogue.

Adel just juiced a bunch. That tends to leave you without much in the chest department. Other than, y’know, massive pecs.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My favorite FF8 plot point is the dude who funds Balamb Garden is squid dude who sits in a cocoon in the basement.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Barudak posted:

Quistis should also not have been Squalls teacher jeeeeeesus.

He's hot for teacher

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

corn in the bible posted:

He's hot for teacher

He's not, it's the other way around.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Darth Walrus posted:

Adel just juiced a bunch. That tends to leave you without much in the chest department. Other than, y’know, massive pecs.

They got some crazy steroids in Esthar because s/he was like 4m tall.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bloom posted:

They got some crazy steroids in Esthar because s/he was like 4m tall.

Hey, sorceress. She got the good juice.

Seriously, though, most sorceresses have physical mutations. Adel is just an extreme example.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is it really a scandal if your teacher is only a year older than you?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

seiferguy posted:

I think that the fact that they’re the same age makes it less gross, but then you get into “why is a teacher the same age as the students” and I hate it even more

I think there’s a line where she explains she’s a prodigy or something, but apparently not because she fucks up pretty spectacularly even before disc 1 ends

Barudak
May 7, 2007

seiferguy posted:

My favorite FF8 plot point is the dude who funds Balamb Garden is squid dude who sits in a cocoon in the basement.

And that his race metamorphizes into small furry lion people. Or maybe it goes the other way? I dont remember and the game doesnt care a lick for that information after its mentioned.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

FFVIII's take on "fantasy world that somehow reached modern technology" is so great and I wish FFXV was as playful with it.

Like, look at these two things side-by-side. This is a setting where the principal of a military academy hands recent graduates a magic lamp containing the devil (who you can go inside the magic lamp to fight and force into magical servitude, of course) and also those same characters can later go and break into a modern missile base to prevent a long-range missile launch.

This game's setting is nuts in the best way possible. Some day I want to run a tabletop RPG in that kind of world, a sort of "what if relatively standard high-magic fantasy setting, but also technology progressed to the point of having cars and space programs and poo poo"

They have radio technology but they can't use it anymore because it's it's drowned out by the incoherent screaming of the ancient evil they sealed in low orbit a couple years ago.

One day all the radios and cell phones started playing Cthulhu on every channel and everyone just adapted to it as the new normal.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Say this for the people of the final fantasy universe, they’re adaptable

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Did Quistis get any characterization other than failing as an instructor for trying to bang her students? VIII was pretty awful with character development in general but Quistis must have been the worst. Either her or Irvine who does one thing 10 minutes after joining you and is irrelevant afterwards.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

bloom posted:

Did Quistis get any characterization other than failing as an instructor for trying to bang her students? VIII was pretty awful with character development in general but Quistis must have been the worst. Either her or Irvine who does one thing 10 minutes after joining you and is irrelevant afterwards.

Nah her personality and arc stops the second Squall doesn't understand she's trying to bone him.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, FF8 would be way better and make more tehematic sense if Seifer, Fuijin and Raijin replaces Squall Zell and Trainspotting. His past relationship with Rinoa better explains how they grow so close so fast, Quitis becomes the teacher who tags along to watch after her student with a lot of potential but whom constantly fucks up without supervision instead of someone trying to gently caress her students, and Squall becoming Edea's and then Ultimencia's knight makes sense because he'd WANT time compression because then no one could ever 'talk about me like I was gone' or ever forget him because they'd be eternal.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 28, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Microcline posted:

They have radio technology but they can't use it anymore because it's it's drowned out by the incoherent screaming of the ancient evil they sealed in low orbit a couple years ago.

One day all the radios and cell phones started playing Cthulhu on every channel and everyone just adapted to it as the new normal.

Satellite TV works fine, but nobody fixed the system for 20 years despite every nation keeping their system up to date to accept the signal despite again, losing radios and cellphones.

UFOs capable of interplanetary travel are real.

The internet exists and you can download physical things through it, this is not used for anything except weapons of war.

A super advanced civilization capable of summoning world ending cataclysms from the moon died out 80 years ago and nobody knows anything about them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Sadly, that's everyone in your party who isn't Rinoa or Squall. Zell gets one weak-rear end attempt at showing you he has an interest in paranormal rumors in the optional dungeon, but even then your options are Squall Relents In An Assholish Way or Squall Tells Him To Shut The gently caress Up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Say this for the people of the final fantasy universe, they’re adaptable

I never thought about it until now, but the inhabitants of FFV's world(s) handle their entire worlds getting merged and the landscape changing permanently and undeniably, and then half of that new world getting eaten by a gaping void, like goddamn champs.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's sort of remarkable that a number of the VIII cast are pretty drat popular despite them not getting anything resembling character development.

Hell I'm a pretty big Quistis fan myself and gently caress if I know why.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's sort of remarkable that a number of the VIII cast are pretty drat popular despite them not getting anything resembling character development.

Hell I'm a pretty big Quistis fan myself and gently caress if I know why.

Theyve got neat outfits that until 15 dont look like the rest of the series spinoffs included and theyre all one note so you everything you need to know about them in 5 text boxes or less.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

seiferguy posted:

It's not the age that makes it icky, it's the power differential.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Microcline posted:

I totally forgot this part and it owns a lot

Barudak posted:

A super advanced civilization capable of summoning world ending cataclysms from the moon died out 80 years ago and nobody knows anything about them.

The game is apparently inconsistent about this. One source says 80 years ago, another says over 100, but either way that's a really short amount of time for everyone to forget everything about an entire civilization.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Harrow posted:

The game is apparently inconsistent about this. One source says 80 years ago, another says over 100, but either way that's a really short amount of time for everyone to forget everything about an entire civilization.

I have not played 8, but I've heard the term time compression being thrown around. Could that be relevant?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's always relevant.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Aktually, it’s time kompression.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

lobster22221 posted:

I have not played 8, but I've heard the term time compression being thrown around. Could that be relevant?

Time compression is something that happens at the end of the game. There's nothing to suggest it's having any effect before, but there's probably some crazy fan theories about it.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

bloom posted:

Time compression is something that happens at the end of the game. There's nothing to suggest it's having any effect before, but there's probably some crazy fan theories about it.

The ending shows that the entire game only happened because Squall chased Ultimecia back in time to the orphanage and implanted the idea of starting SeeD in Edea's head. The reason Cid knows that Squall is destined to lead Garden is because Edea told him as much after literally meeting the guy outside her home.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bloom posted:

I always just assume that its been in effekt since the beginning of the game. Assuming the villains plan is to kompress time down to the minimum amount required for her and only her to exist it would explain why such a weird smattering of times and people are around at the same time.

And I mean, the end of the game posits a desert of time travel based on your ability to remember fakes whikh is inkredibly kool.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ultimecia wanted to compress time to a single moment so she could play every Final Fantasy at the same time

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Help Im Alive posted:

Ultimecia wanted to compress time to a single moment so she could play every Final Fantasy at the same time

Joke's on her

... they're all bad!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Joke's on her

... they're all bad!

Good thing she is too!

But seriously she steals a highschool graduates class ring he gave his girlfriend and turns it into a hell beast he has to fight to the death because she can i guess.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

CeallaSo posted:

The ending shows that the entire game only happened because Squall chased Ultimecia back in time to the orphanage and implanted the idea of starting SeeD in Edea's head. The reason Cid knows that Squall is destined to lead Garden is because Edea told him as much after literally meeting the guy outside her home.

I forgot all about that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Barudak posted:

Good thing she is too!

But seriously she steals a highschool graduates class ring he gave his girlfriend and turns it into a hell beast he has to fight to the death because she can i guess.

If I could do that I'd be doing it all the time too. Awesome party trick.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Microcline posted:

nah it's just adel saying "I'M STILL HERE SAVE ME FROM BEING CRYOGENICALLY FROZEN IN SPACE," there's nothing chthulan about it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Good thing she is too!

And junctions herself to it instead of the other way around.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Irvine is like the Final Fantasy Men's Rights Activist. His hat even looks like a fedora if you squint hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

God Irvine is a piece of poo poo