Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Barudak posted:

Quistis's Limit Break Devour does the eating

Devour is a GF skill any character can get if they junction Eden.

Quistis' Limit is blue magic acquisition, but she's not eating the monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

JRPGs can start slow mechanically (time to core gameplay loop and time to last tutorial) and start slow narratively. Narratively I'd sort FF into "quiet" openings, where the player explores the environment and builds to a climax without immediate danger, and "loud" openings where the player is immediately put in a mostly scripted but thematically life-or-death scenario.

I, III, V, VIII, IX, and XV have quiet openings. II, IV, VI, VII, X, XII, and XIII have loud openings.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

voltcatfish posted:

FF15 newbie here

The banter the 4 friends have about everything is the most interesting part of the game

Now whether or not that itself is a problem I'm not sure.

Final Fantasy 15 is two different movies. One is Harold & Kumar & Noctis & Gladio & Prompto & Ignis go to Lestallum. The other is Final Fantasy XV starring Keanu Reeves.

Your enjoyment of the game will depend on how much you like both genres

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

NikkolasKing posted:

The weird thing about the FFVIII Concert is there are two songs the band can serenade Squall and Rinoa with. There is a recurring motif throughout the game that is basically their love theme and that is one of the options for the band to play. HOWEVER, if you have the band play this song, Squall and Rinoa get into a fight and she runs away.

The other song choice is...an Irish jig. Not only do Squall and Rinoa not fight if this is playing, they both open up and talk more about themselves.

I watched a bit of some dude's first time VIII playthrough a while ago and he messed up the concert in a wonderful fashion. Every other character plays Eyes on Me but in the end Quistis comes in and starts playing that goddamn jig on a flute, ruining the concert and the date.

Funnily enough Quisty still being thirsty for Squall and sabotaging his date would have been more characterization than she actually got.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

Final Fantasy 15 is two different movies. One is Harold & Kumar & Noctis & Gladio & Prompto & Ignis go to Lestallum. The other is Final Fantasy XV starring Keanu Reeves.

I loved both of these aspects of the game but this split really kills the pacing of the game. Not much really happens in Lucis plotwise and once you get to Altissia things move way too quickly and become way too linear and it feels like a completely different game. This makes sense thematically, but I still think it would have been better if they had made Lucis smaller and increased the size of the other locations instead (maybe like they did with Insomnia in the Royal Edition). A lot of the side content and even parts of the main quest could have happened anywhere, when you think about it, and apparently they already had a second continent prepared that they just needed to fill with things to do. This would have made the different parts of the game feel more connected and made for a better experience IMO.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Microcline posted:

JRPGs can start slow mechanically (time to core gameplay loop and time to last tutorial) and start slow narratively. Narratively I'd sort FF into "quiet" openings, where the player explores the environment and builds to a climax without immediate danger, and "loud" openings where the player is immediately put in a mostly scripted but thematically life-or-death scenario.

I, III, V, VIII, IX, and XV have quiet openings. II, IV, VI, VII, X, XII, and XIII have loud openings.

The whiplash from loud to suddenly quiet that then stays quiet for way too long is one of the bigger issues with XII, I think.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

lobster22221 posted:

Oh, I thought we were talking narrative. Yeah that would definitely change my list. In that case 13 is probably the slowest game ever. You don't unlock the full system until halfway through the game. Magic takes a long time to access too.

You get the ravager role (the main role that uses magic) 2 hours into the game, most of it is cutscene. All the given parties you have to control up until the game lets you make your own include at least 1 ravager. That's not really a long time tbh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gologle posted:

If you guys liked Suikoden II so much, why didn't you buy it back then

I did :smuggo:

Microcline posted:

IX has my favorite opening in the series because it's a little fast-paced comic adventure where you jump around between the perspectives of several main characters and it all ends with a big explosion.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'd argue that every FF game, including FF1, starts in medias res to some extent except for 8.

8 is interesting because there's a really obvious Final Fantasy opening sequence right up near the front - the Dollet mission - but you have to go through waking up in the clinic and that GF tutorial with Ifrit. I wouldn't be surprised at all if, at some point, the game wasn't supposed to open with landing on the beach in Dollet.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah but its the good Keanu from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

It was a little weird when Noctis decided to cosplay as John Wick.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Another great, but weird thing about FF8 was when you were at Galbadia Garden, one of the areas you walk through is a hockey rink, and the random encounter there is the Galbadian Hockey Team, which I inevitably grinded so that I could get my average level up high enough so that I could draw triple from Cerberus.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*comic book panel with a giant pile of bloody student athlete corpses in the background* "Squall er, are we the baddies?"

At least in XV a bunch of wildlife has a "herbivore" flag or something like that which makes Prompto occasionally go "man, why are we going around slaughtering these guys anyway" and Noctis is pretty much like "kill or be killed lol"

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 29, 2018

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I'd say the least "insane" Final Fantasy (outside of the MMOs that I haven't played) is XII. I mean, the craziest part is some gods give people magic stones, which is like the most mundane part of a lot of the FF series.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

XIV is pretty sane for the most part. The big main thing is a giant mega evil magitek empire bent on world domination while beast races have the ability to summon their gods via lots of magic crystals and wishes. The first expansion Heavensward is all about the nation Ishgard's centuries long war with dragons. The second expansion Stormblood is about the liberation of nations under control of the evil empire.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

FFXI is also comparatively tame of a game, especially just like...vanilla.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I have been convinced and am excited for the disappointment I will feel come disk 3, thanks thread.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Barudak posted:

Yes. One of you other party membes who is otherwise a regular 20ish year old woman can eat just about any non boss monster in the game.

Oh poo poo I forgot about the alien species that took over a spaceship that can only be killed permanently if you kill another alien of the same color as it before you kill it

Angelo is used as part of Rinoa's limit breaks, not her weapon.

No one has Devour as a limit. Everyone can use it, because it's just a normal ability.

Propagator's matching color gimmick is optional. You can just kill 'em in any order you like and they just all despawn after a while. It doesn't even take that long.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

seiferguy posted:

Another great, but weird thing about FF8 was when you were at Galbadia Garden, one of the areas you walk through is a hockey rink, and the random encounter there is the Galbadian Hockey Team, which I inevitably grinded so that I could get my average level up high enough so that I could draw triple from Cerberus.
It's canon that those guys are human-shaped monsters and Galbadia just has monsters on their hockey team because why the hell not - it comes up in their Scan data.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

XIV is pretty sane for the most part.

:stare:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's canon that those guys are human-shaped monsters and Galbadia just has monsters on their hockey team because why the hell not - it comes up in their Scan data.

In that case VIII missed a chance to have a minigame even better than triple triad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

XIV is pretty sane for the most part.[...] The first expansion Heavensward is all about the nation Ishgard's centuries long war with dragons. [...]

"We Dragons made peace with the elves because I ate one of them. Then the war started again because they ate my sister and her boyfriend got pissed."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sanity report:

1: warriors time travel to beat a big monster. It's be done. Sane.
2: orphaned friends lead a rebellion against an empire. Also been done. Sane.
3: orphaned warriors go fight a man who was really controlled by a dominatrix. Also, you're on a floating island. Losing a little sanity.
4: turns out you're half moon-man and the baddie is your brother. Losing more sanity.
5: evil tree and it's gay lover fight a (probably) gay protagonist and his harem of princesses from different planets. Insane.
6: nihilistic magical clown destroys the planet, then you kill him and restore it. Teenage protagonists learn about love and suicide. Pretty sane.
7: eco-terrorists recruit man who faked his resume to take down capitalism. Protagonist fakes it till he makes it. Kind of insane.
8: orphaned friends who can't remember their childhood time travel to beat a witch. Protagonist's girlfriend shoots people with a dog and was previously banging boyfriend's bully. Full blown insane.
9: lead characters are clones or princesses. Evil tree makes a reappearance. Pretty insane.
10: summoners create a world with their own headcannon including a sports star with serious daddy issues. Also, religion is a sham. Pretty insane.
12: this plot is literally ripped from Star Wars. Sane.
13: probably insane.
15: it's like the beginning of Very Bad Things where a bachelor party goes wrong, but instead of a hooker being impaled by a coat hanger, it's the protagonist's fiancee. Kind of insane?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

bloom posted:

In that case VIII missed a chance to have a minigame even better than triple triad.

god I FUKKKKKKING LOVE MUTANT LEAGUE HOCKEY AND (to a lesser extent) FOOTBALL

Why have those never made it to the 3ds or a virtual console or something?!!??!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The first time you go to Galbadia garden to get Irvine if you wander around there's also a dude hanging around the locker room who'll say some stuff about monster hockey players which is a very impressive amount of consistency for FFVIII.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, if the tournament arc is interesting in terms of establishing the battle system or introducing characters, I could see it being kinda fun.

I need to play the Suikoden series someday but I still have Dragon Quest which I was supposed to start years ago. I even bought the first two games but never played them. Maybe next month.

Corn neglected to mention it’s a tournament arc where you don’t participate bc it’s for your sister’s hand in marriage lol

Also you have a couple temporary bases before you finally get your main base, which is a big deal in suikoden

I love suikoden v to death but it’s phenomenally slow

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

MikeJF posted:

The whiplash from loud to suddenly quiet that then stays quiet for way too long is one of the bigger issues with XII, I think.

Xenoblade going from the Battle of Sword Valley to a slow buildup to the inevitable destruction of your idyllic hometown is the same plot structure as XII's going from the Raid on Nalbina to a slow buildup to robbing the palace. The difference isn't the suddenness of the transition but that quiet sections are where characters and environment get a chance to shine and the first quiet section of XII is Vaan in a sewer level slowly autoattacking rats.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bruceski posted:

"We Dragons made peace with the elves because I ate one of them. Then the war started again because they ate my sister and her boyfriend got pissed."

Also the dragons are actually space aliens.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mezzanon posted:

Because the universe is cruel and unfair. :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also the dragons are actually space aliens.

Man I need to get caught up on Stormblood, evidently

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Man I need to get caught up on Stormblood, evidently

That was a Heavensward plot twist, made known when you're talking with Tiamat, I think?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

That was a Heavensward plot twist, made known when you're talking with Tiamat, I think?

That they aren't from Eorzea at all? I sure don't remember that but it has been a while, so okay :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

That they aren't from Eorzea at all? I sure don't remember that but it has been a while, so okay :v:

Not native to Hydaelyn at all. Midgardsormr arrived from space with the eggs for the First Brood and the Twelve ended up putting him in charge of protecting Silvertear. Bahamut and Tiamat went off to Meracydia and the others (Hraesvelgr, Rattatoskr, Nidhogg) mostly stayed in Eorzea.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/529520/Mutant_Football_League/ there is this, supposedly by the main guy behind the original ones. Dunno how good it is, though

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I remember Mutant League had a Saturday morning Cartoon where the mainguy was a skeleton dude who looked like Bret Hart.

I remember one episode he was accused of murder by pushing someone into a car. Keep in mind this show had sports where the players would usually decapitate or dismember each other.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ROFL Octopus posted:

Corn neglected to mention it’s a tournament arc where you don’t participate bc it’s for your sister’s hand in marriage lol

Also you have a couple temporary bases before you finally get your main base, which is a big deal in suikoden

I love suikoden v to death but it’s phenomenally slow

Also it has a sewer level because why the gently caress not.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Red Red Blue posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/529520/Mutant_Football_League/ there is this, supposedly by the main guy behind the original ones. Dunno how good it is, though

The reviews look extremely positive!

Microcline posted:

Xenoblade going from the Battle of Sword Valley to a slow buildup to the inevitable destruction of your idyllic hometown is the same plot structure as XII's going from the Raid on Nalbina to a slow buildup to robbing the palace. The difference isn't the suddenness of the transition but that quiet sections are where characters and environment get a chance to shine and the first quiet section of XII is Vaan in a sewer level slowly autoattacking rats.

Yeah, there's really no comparison. Xenoblade is incredible. FF XII starts off with a forced tutorial, a sewer level, boring desert, back to the sewer level, more desert, and then prison.

I am a fan of FF XII, but the first 10 hours are certainly something.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Die Sexmonster! posted:

The reviews look extremely positive!

Yeah, there's really no comparison. Xenoblade is incredible. FF XII starts off with a forced tutorial, a sewer level, boring desert, back to the sewer level, more desert, and then prison.

One thing I'll give FF XII credit for was having at least a bit of variety in the desert, even if the color scheme wasn't too great outside of rabanastre. Oil platforms, and plains that flashflood are not something you see in most jrpgs. Even the more generic desert maps mostly looked distinct from each other(other than the westersand and the estersand).

I just wish it was a bit more colorful. And that individual zones were unique.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 30, 2018

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Hoo boy Comrades is a bit of a slog.

Also thanks for all the FF8 chat earlier, hearing about all that sure brought back a lot of memories. Still my favourite final fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Die Sexmonster! posted:

And all with a nobody character that leaves you wondering what's the point. Nobody characters that get caught up in something big are fine, but you have to put them actually getting involved close enough to the start to engage you, otherwise you're just wondering 'why the hell am I a random person wandering around running errands for hours'.