Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Chinatown posted:

Toasted sub.

Might have been grilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I went to clean under the cowl on my wrangler because I assumed nobody had ever done it before. All of the photos I saw online showed them full of dirt and leaves - look how clean this motherfucker is!! 11 years old and just a little dust.

e: the plastic vent cover is removed in photo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So what you are saying is that you aren't using your wrangler correctly. :colbert:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Replaced the mostly-dead battery, and got a new signal switch installed. Total cost: $free. Even had a "Did you buy a new SID?" query. Nope. Wood dowel, screw, and a set of washers heated up to gently caress melt the ribbon cable back into place.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

New jewelry!

Look at all them sharp teeth.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Winter is coming! Skydiving season is over, scuba diving season is almost over, time to start the winter projects!

We stayed in the shop until midnight working on the Jeep. We need to fab a new frame for it. The stock frame is too short and too narrow for the drivetrain that is being put it. So, we got to work. The front third of the frame will be chopped off, and we will weld in a new section that does not narrow down at the engine mounts.

Measuring and trying to figure out what the hell we need to do.

We dont have all the tools I would like, and we had to spend a half an hour fixing the drat thing, but we do have a decent bandsaw.

I don't get to TIG weld nearly enough these days, so root passes on the new frame.

Root passes completed and where I stopped for the night. One cover pass and that section will be complete. We will replicate it for the other side, that start cutting the frame apart to put them on.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You need to post a thread so I can F5 it all day.

I threw the new O2 sensor in my 88 Comanche, got the tires on the 98 Cherokee balanced, and threw all the parts I've been meaning to put in the 98 in the trunk before leaving for work. Hopefully going to have enough time after work to do new bumpstops all around, maybe bedliner half the floor, new shocks on the front, another new rear brake cylinder, rebleed the brakes again, and maybe fix the exhaust again.

I still can't believe that 25 year old O2 sensor came out as easily as it did.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 14, 2013

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I have been asked before, but it isn't my project so I don't really control the pace of it. I would feel bad making a thread that would die in a month when we lose motivation. I think we are gonna work more tonight, so I will have some more pictures soon.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Yesterday I checked the coolant, topped it up with a splash of oil, re-filled the screenwash and made a note to order some glow plugs and winter wheels. General winter feel-good maintenance because it's my only car and I need to get to work and I do enjoy taking car of it. :glomp:

Came out this morning and I'm down to 1 headlight bulb. :sigh: Nowhere near the level of 13"s traumas, but it's the little things.

MiNDRiVE
Nov 8, 2012
I checked the oil since my last oil change 3k miles ago. Still looks brand new oh and the motor only has 3k on it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

MiNDRiVE posted:

I checked the oil since my last oil change 3k miles ago. Still looks brand new oh and the motor only has 3k on it.

How? :iiam:

My foster SAAB leaks as much as my foster dog. After awhile, you just stop giving a poo poo about the carpet.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I HAVE JUST RENDERED MY TRUCK UNDRIVABLE DUE TO BUMPING AGAINST A JB WELD HEATER LINE REPAIR BY THE P.O.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Larrymer posted:

I'd try hitting it with the glossifier or one of their metalizers over that. Otherwise it just looks like primer.

I actually bought three cans of glossifier the same night I placed the order for the Dip... Then in the morning (~2 hours too late to cancel the order) a friend reported that the stuff is INSANELY difficult to apply consistently.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Got any close up shots? Looks pretty good for rattle can.

Later learned of a youtube video that shows how to apply it smoother... Might try that next time.

Somebody was kind enough to post an image of a Supra done in red 'dip as I'd planned to do originally...

I'm green with envy and some other color... primer gray(?) with regret.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
New front shocks, new front swaybar endlinks, new front swaybar bushings, new emergency brake cable, and new front bumpstops installed. Broke all 4 bolts holding the rear bumpstops in (well, their remains... about 1/4" thick smashed-flat rusted out sheetmetal bases, the rubber fell off long ago) off in the weldnuts inside the uniframe rails, discovered a large rust hole in one uniframe rail and a rather bad dent in the other (what? doing 50+mph over a dirt road full of 6" rocks with 200lbs of parts and tools in the back and no rubber left on the bumpstops causes damage? say it aint so!) so it looks like I need to cut the rust out, pound the dented frame rail back into shape, then sleeve both with 1/4" box tubing and add new bumpstop mounts anyways.

Should be interesting to see how it handles on the way home, the swaybar bushings and endlinks were completely hosed:

Shock absorber bar pin bushing wasn't doing so hot either:

Doing 50+ down that same road a few dozen times does some interesting damage to shock absorber stems, too:

(this indicates the shocks were the limiting factor when the suspension completely unloaded because the front wheels left the ground - the fact that the concave metal cups that hold the stem bushing had been turned inside out also tends to point towards that as well...)

dear broken bolts: gently caress YOU. YOU ARE BAD, AND SHOULD FEEL BAD. t:mad:

New shiny parts going in:

Hadn't done the bumpstops (inside the coil springs) yet. I'm hoping the new ones will keep the steering linkages from denting the oil pan and prevent the pinion yoke from chewing another hole in the exhaust downpipe when I land or hit a large bump, but if they don't, I won't be too broken up about it.

Fucknag posted:

I HAVE JUST RENDERED MY TRUCK UNDRIVABLE DUE TO BUMPING AGAINST A JB WELD HEATER LINE REPAIR BY THE P.O.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

No you haven't, slap a loving bolt or a piece of pipe or something in there and hoseclamp it. You live in Florida, what the hell do you need heat for? :haw:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ok so after some further investigation it appears the broken thing is not, in fact, the hose/line itself but the fitting that screws into the block. This thing:

Which the end of the steel line then snaps into. The dude in the thread I found that in says "they're made of pot metal and will snap if you look at them too hard"; seems about accurate. Some pictures I just grabbed:

Actually, the outside was so lovely I assumed it was slopped together, but looking how rusty the inside was (PO also never flushed their coolant, as I found out earlier this year) it may have just rusted to death and I delivered the killing blow. With that being the case, I may just see if I can get it threaded out tomorrow night (I am out of energy for today) and try and match a barbed fitting with some straight rubber hose. Never hurts to but new hoses in a truck this old anyway, right?

Bonus shot of the rockers, valve adjustment is why I was in there in the first place:

:barf:

E: alright some further research indicates I need 1/2 NPT thread (I assume the parts people will know) with a 3/4 inch barb and hose to match. I assume AZ or the like will carry such things, I may go have another stab at removing the old POS.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 15, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Put a fan heater in the drivers' footwell of the Niva and let it run for hours. Apparently when I unclogged the drain for the air vent intake I didn't complete the job. The recent torrential downpour backed up the drain and flooded the drivers floor :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Fucknag posted:

E: alright some further research indicates I need 1/2 NPT thread (I assume the parts people will know) with a 3/4 inch barb and hose to match. I assume AZ or the like will carry such things, I may go have another stab at removing the old POS.

Buy that poo poo at home depot. Probably won't find it at AZ.

MiNDRiVE
Nov 8, 2012

West SAAB Story posted:

How? :iiam:

My foster SAAB leaks as much as my foster dog. After awhile, you just stop giving a poo poo about the carpet.

Last oil change ended up being a motor build =)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alright, so I was unsuccessful in getting the remnants of the fitting out, it was almost flush and the rest basically crumbled when I put pliers on it. I'll see if I can get an e-z-out and deal with it that way. Good news is the hose itself is in great shape, just the quick-connect fitting is shot, so if I can get a replacement one for cheap enough I may just do that and re-use the factory hose; looking at online Lowe's prices it seems like the pipe fitting itself is cheaper than the $12 OEM part (although aftermarket may be cheaper), but it's close enough it could be offset by having to buy a length of straight hose to reach.

In any case they don't list the exact size I'd need online (they have the exact opposite though, 1/2" barb to 3/4" male threads :downs:)

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Replaced bad wiring on my driver side headlight. Electrical problems are the worst but you feel like a million bucks when you fix them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think Home Depot has that part but not sure, Fucknag. And the remainder of the old one should come out with a flat blade screwdriver used as a chisel hammering inward if it's as cheesy as it looks, just break the thing apart and then pick the pieces out. Theoretically you would want a tap to chase the threads with, but just use a dental pick and brakleen to get all the big crap out and it should be good enough I think.

Just got home, the crapcan is much, MUCH nicer to drive, though it rotates much easier going around sharp corners on pavement. I can get it rotating with maybe 3/4 as much throttle as before, probably due to the front swaybar actually doing something now, I noted a lot less body roll. Leaving dirt/mud handling changes as an exercise for tomorrow evening :getin:

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
A little more progress on the Jeep tonight. And we had a couple of cute shop helpers around..

My friend had already cut the pieces for the second side of the frame, so I got busy with the most fun part of welding, prepping the weld!

While he cut the front end off.

An hour later, all the edges are prepped and look like this, and I am ready to tack, make sure everything is straight, and do a root pass.

Said root pass

I also welded on the rear spring perches, and we mocked up the left side before I called it a night.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You don't have to make a huge thread.... but god drat you really should.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

mutt2jeff posted:

A little more progress on the Jeep tonight. And we had a couple of cute shop helpers around..

My friend had already cut the pieces for the second side of the frame, so I got busy with the most fun part of welding, prepping the weld!

While he cut the front end off.

An hour later, all the edges are prepped and look like this, and I am ready to tack, make sure everything is straight, and do a root pass.

Said root pass

I also welded on the rear spring perches, and we mocked up the left side before I called it a night.

Make a thread please. God drat.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I see 8 lugs and what appears to be a kingpin instead of a balljoint... dodge/chevy front 60?

e: vv the front suspension is rolled out from under the vehicle. That upkick in the frame is where the engine and front axle will live, I think. vv

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 15, 2013

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Does this front end look incredibly long to anyone else? What kind of Jeep is this?

e: or is the cab removed and just sitting back on the frame?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

Does this front end look incredibly long to anyone else? What kind of Jeep is this?

e: or is the cab removed and just sitting back on the frame?

The front axle and wheels are neither attached nor in position. They're just sitting in front of it, so I can see how it might look like they're in position.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

The front axle and wheels are neither attached nor in position. They're just sitting in front of it, so I can see how it might look like they're in position.

oh duh :bang:

New dumb question - is that a wooden firewall or weird looking metal?

e: make a thread!

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Thanks guys, I will consider making a thread. This will be a mud bog jeep.

kastein is correct that the axle will be centered in the upkick, and the engine in that general area as well. One of the issues with the old frame was that it narrowed about 6 inches in that area, making it impossible to put the engine where he wanted it and still be able to have things like headers on there. So that's why it is being widened. It is being lengthened because the jeep body, which has already been widened by a foot or so, needs to have the firewall pushed another 4 inches forward for "leg room".

The firewall is just weird looking metal. We actually got a brand new one yesterday, straight from the sheet metal shop that will be replacing that when the front gets lengthened.

Edit: Dug up a picture of the jeep as it sat December last year. You can see the speed of our progress.

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 15, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Didn't make poo poo progress on the truck today because my bullshit job kept me a half hour late AND I had to go pick my mom up from work. By the time I got home it was 8:30 and drizzly as gently caress. I managed to get maybe one loving thread exposed. And I found out toady apparently GM used loctite on all those loving fitting from the factory. And the only good metal left on that fitting was the threads that stuck in the intake.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Drove it! Apparently I was legally obligated to. Came out to this note on the windshield:

Basically my vehicle will be considered abandoned if it is not moved at least 1/10 mile every 3 days. So I drove it, and parked it a few blocks away from where it was. Is this random, or did someone call it in as abandoned? It wouldn't be the first time someone has tried to get it towed for "being abandoned".

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Raluek posted:

Drove it! Apparently I was legally obligated to. Came out to this note on the windshield:

Basically my vehicle will be considered abandoned if it is not moved at least 1/10 mile every 3 days. So I drove it, and parked it a few blocks away from where it was. Is this random, or did someone call it in as abandoned? It wouldn't be the first time someone has tried to get it towed for "being abandoned".

Someone doesn't have to call it in. Does your car look like it may possibly be a POS? A cop may have been bored driving by your place, and had noticed it in the same position over a few days. Cops hate project cars :(

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Wouldn't 1/10th of a mile be exactly 528 feet? :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raluek posted:

My SHO was called in as abandoned parked in front of my own loving house. Even if not called in the cops don't even bother checking the registration half the time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Carteret posted:

Someone doesn't have to call it in. Does your car look like it may possibly be a POS? A cop may have been bored driving by your place, and had noticed it in the same position over a few days. Cops hate project cars :(

Yeah, it's a '65 Impala that's banged up and has a nice rusty spot on the door where some shithead booted it some years ago and knocked the (bondo and) paint off it. Still, the car hasn't been parked there a week. Crazy that every car on the street is supposed to move 1/10 mile every 3 days.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Raluek posted:

Yeah, it's a '65 Impala that's banged up and has a nice rusty spot on the door where some shithead booted it some years ago and knocked the (bondo and) paint off it. Still, the car hasn't been parked there a week. Crazy that every car on the street is supposed to move 1/10 mile every 3 days.

It's not really the 1/10 mile every 3 days thing, it's just that your state/town hates how old cars look, and want an excuse to tow abandoned looking vehicles. If you were to park a 2010 Camry in the same spot, as long as your tires weren't flat it would be fine for months, untouched.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Carteret posted:

It's not really the 1/10 mile every 3 days thing, it's just that your state/town hates how old cars look, and want an excuse to tow abandoned looking vehicles. If you were to park a 2010 Camry in the same spot, as long as your tires weren't flat it would be fine for months, untouched.

That's kind of what I suspected, I was just wondering if it was a neighbor that hated it or the city, more likely. Sounds like it's likely just the city. I had parked an '88 Shadow in the same place for weeks at a time before with no issue. But now that I have my good car here, suddenly problems! Maybe... Maybe my car isn't as cool as I think it is. :ohdear:

Raluek fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 16, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So a goddamned kid dashed out in front of me in the parking lot today. I was going all of 10mph but he ran right at my front bumper so I swerved and slammed on the brakes. Still managed to curb the gently caress out of the front right wheel on the new Miata. Then he kid's mother screamed and yelled at me for almost killing her kid.

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Not directly did to, but got these:

Rooftop tent.

lovely phone photos but that lamp on he left is clear glass with a nice big etched "LUCAS" on it.