Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Greggy posted:

Yeah, that was my reaction too, even if it's a marijuana trainwreck I still love Ron enough that I'm sure I'll enjoy it

It's loving half serious poo poo. :negative:

Just skip to about an hour in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

Anyone else listen to Go Bayside! ? I just discovered the show a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for a new podcast and remembered that a pro wrestling podcast, The Attitude Era podcast, of all things recommended it during their Q & A episode. The premise of the show is comedian and Chelsea Lately regular, April Richardson makes a guest sit through an episode of Saved by the Bell and you listen to them pick apart the episode.
The guest are usually LA comedians and friends of April. Occasionally she gets big guest like Paul F. Tompkins, Aimee Mann, Jimmy Pardo, and Diablo Cody. If you grew up watching Saved by the Bell I highly recommend you check it out.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

xbilkis posted:

It may have already ruined Patton Oswalt!

Patton Oswalt was my favorite comedian ten years ago and he single handedly made me hate him just through his social media presence. Text book definition of a nerd on the internet who is still bitter about being shoved into lockers and has some power now. The fact that nearly every time he puts his foot in his mouth he puts out some grandiose apology a week later leaves me to believe he doesn't actually learn anything, he just doesn't like being in trouble.

In the long run I've come to like comedians who just post funny stuff on twitter. It's a better approach than tools like Patton who throw a whiny babby poo poo fit whenever someone is slighted by something they've posted, and then intentionally or unintentionally get their fans to dogpile that person.

I suspect people like him and Klausner are just severely out of touch and think social media is an extension of the stage where hecklers aren't allowed. It didn't surprise me that Patton has the emotional maturity of Jamie Kennedy but it sure did disappoint me.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I personally take more issue with the people who think they get to whine and complain every time something a comedian says offends them. Patton Oswalt shouldn't be making those grandiose apologies because those people shouldn't get an apology every time they bitch enough.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Beeez posted:

I personally take more issue with the people who think they get to whine and complain every time something a comedian says offends them. Patton Oswalt shouldn't be making those grandiose apologies because those people shouldn't get an apology every time they bitch enough.

Patton Oswalt is a giant man-child and plenty of other comedians either handle those situations while being funny and without making themselves look like attention starved sadsacks, or ignore literally one person saying "hey I like you and your material is sharp but it rubbed me the wrong way when you said oval office seventeen times"

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Ugh, this person on twitter called me a jerk. Better retweet every single person who compliments me in response to that.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Patton's twitter summer hiatus is a good idea because I took a twitter hiatus from him a few years back and it's worked out really well.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Patton lead me to some great comedians, but I never actually pay attention to him anymore.

I secretly want Dave Anthony to be my crazy uncle, and I would never have heard about him without Patton.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

pretty soft girl posted:

Patton Oswalt is a giant man-child and plenty of other comedians either handle those situations while being funny and without making themselves look like attention starved sadsacks, or ignore literally one person saying "hey I like you and your material is sharp but it rubbed me the wrong way when you said oval office seventeen times"

You're making the "one person" look more reasonable than they usually are, but I'm not really defending Patton here. I'm more saying the offended parties on Twitter aren't usually the poor victims that big mean comedians have hurt with their jokes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Why are you defending a man who is rich and famous but still a broken-brain weirdo online?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I love Patton, online and off.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Beeez posted:

I personally take more issue with the people who think they get to whine and complain every time something a comedian says offends them.

how dare those people not come to you to get permission before they say something.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Conduit for Sale! posted:

how dare those people not come to you to get permission before they say something.

I didn't say that, and between me and those people only one of us harasses those who inflame our oversensitivity until they apologize or are fired, etc.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
With regards to Klausner, Social media has really lowered my view of her. There are so many people who she seems constantly make fun of for seemingly no reason and it comes off as bitter and meanspirited. She seems very petty to me.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I feel that way about Tom Scharpling in general. He seems like such a snide, hateful person on Twitter and on The Best Show.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Beeez posted:

I feel that way about Tom Scharpling in general. He seems like such a snide, hateful person on Twitter and on The Best Show.

well yeah that's kind of his bit

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Groucho Marxist posted:

well yeah that's kind of his bit

Even on Twitter? If it's all just a bit, when has he come out of the bit to let people know it's all just a bit?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Beeez posted:

Even on Twitter? If it's all just a bit, when has he come out of the bit to let people know it's all just a bit?

Why don't you ask Stephen Colbert :rolleyes:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

pretty soft girl posted:

I suspect people like him and Klausner are just severely out of touch and think social media is an extension of the stage where hecklers aren't allowed. It didn't surprise me that Patton has the emotional maturity of Jamie Kennedy but it sure did disappoint me.

I saw him perform a couple of months ago, and there was an incredibly annoying heckler/drunk in the audience. I thought he handled it really well and made it fun for the rest of the audience. :shrug:

Beeez
May 28, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

Stephen Colbert has done that, though. Many, many times.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

scary ghost dog posted:

Why don't you ask Paul F. Tompkins :rolleyes:

(Please don't ask PFT about Scharpling or vice versa :()

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm sure Scharpling is a good, decent person, but I don't think the crabby dick persona is a put-on. Like a more well adjusted Letterman, or Henry Rollins. I'm a huge fan of all three guys, and while none of them have a reputation of being the type of person to gently caress you over or anything, they don't really seem like they'd be a barrel of laughs to deal with on a regular basis. That's fine by me since I have the privilege of getting to admire them from afar.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Can somebody who listens to Doug Loves Movies explain the Leonard Maltin game please? I don't understand when people bet they can get it in minus' and whatnot.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

101 posted:

Can somebody who listens to Doug Loves Movies explain the Leonard Maltin game please? I don't understand when people bet they can get it in minus' and whatnot.

The Lenore Maltin Game is just Name That Tune; a negative bid is like if you said you could name the tune based only on the clue and then play the first however many notes you bid.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

101 posted:

Here's what a typical review looks like in the Leonard Maltin app:

So if I say I can name the movie in 3 names, and I'm challenged to do so, Doug would read me the names Paul Anthony, A.J. Johnson and Tisha Campbell.

Now, if I say I can name it with -2 names, I have to name the movie, and then say the names Christopher Reid and Robin Harris in that order.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I've never seen anyone describe something as "infectiously good-natured" before.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Beeez posted:

I much as I love the best show, Tom does go a bit too far about certain things. The bigger problem I had is when people would call up and tell him about crazy people that he would normally poo poo on, but because Tom didn't think of it first he would just poo poo on the caller instead.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Beeez posted:

Almost in anything non-Best Show? He's not the same guy in Low Times interviews, that time on WTF or the Marc & Tom Show he did with Marc Maron.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

One of his biggest influences is Morton Downey Jr., of course he changes opinions in service of berating a caller.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Yannick_B posted:

Almost in anything non-Best Show? He's not the same guy in Low Times interviews, that time on WTF or the Marc & Tom Show he did with Marc Maron.

Twitter isn't non-Best Show?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pretty soft girl posted:

Patton Oswalt was my favorite comedian ten years ago and he single handedly made me hate him just through his social media presence. Text book definition of a nerd on the internet who is still bitter about being shoved into lockers and has some power now. The fact that nearly every time he puts his foot in his mouth he puts out some grandiose apology a week later leaves me to believe he doesn't actually learn anything, he just doesn't like being in trouble.

In the long run I've come to like comedians who just post funny stuff on twitter. It's a better approach than tools like Patton who throw a whiny babby poo poo fit whenever someone is slighted by something they've posted, and then intentionally or unintentionally get their fans to dogpile that person.

I love Patton and think he's one of the funniest guys in existence, and a surprisingly fantastic actor to boot (Ratatouille, Big Fan and Young Adult is one hell of a trio), but his non-comedy writing leaves something to be desired. He wrote an editorial for Wired that just screams "dude getting old and being unable to handle the internet/nerds being mainstream.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Binowru posted:

Here's what a typical review looks like in the Leonard Maltin app:

So if I say I can name the movie in 3 names, and I'm challenged to do so, Doug would read me the names Paul Anthony, A.J. Johnson and Tisha Campbell.

Now, if I say I can name it with -2 names, I have to name the movie, and then say the names Christopher Reid and Robin Harris in that order.

Perfect. Thanks a million!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I feel like I'm missing out on a lot by not seeing Jon Daly's physical acting as Oscar Wilde on the new Dead Author's Podcast.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

UP AND ADAM posted:

I feel like I'm missing out on a lot by not seeing Jon Daly

This is how I feel every minute of every day that I'm not seeing Jon Daly.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
The latest episode of International Waters has a particularly fantastic final round. It's gotta be one of the funniest things our guests have ever done on the show.

https://soundcloud.com/colin-anderson/international-waters-28-kenny-g-lane#t=45:26

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh yea I haven't listened to International Waters in like, months, thanks for reminding me that's a thing that's good.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
So that Analyze Phish had more going on than I expected it to.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Anybody else bought Todd Glass' book? I got it but I haven't read it yet.

I wish Todd had done the audiobook version. With little to no direction. It would be thousands of hours long.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
His paypal/kickstarter thing kind of has me grossed out lately, I'm not in a very "give money to Todd Glass" sort of mood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
What is it he's doing exactly? I only know about it from his NNF episode and I couldn't work it out. Is he literally just asking people to give him money?

• Locked thread