Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

wolrah posted:

People gave GM poo poo for the hybrid GMT900s, but taking a an Escalade from 15 to 21 MPG saves more fuel (and thus emissions) than going from a 29 MPG Corolla to a 48 MPG Prius. It's even better for plug-ins with a proper full EV mode.
What a remarkably unintuitive piece of math. If only we measured fuel efficiency in gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon (or whatever units of fuel per whatever units of distance would be fine) these things would be much clearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Litres per hundred kilometres works well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

roomforthetuna posted:

What a remarkably unintuitive piece of math. If only we measured fuel efficiency in gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon (or whatever units of fuel per whatever units of distance would be fine) these things would be much clearer.

Pretty much, yea. The use of distance per unit of volume instead of volume per distance makes significant differences seem tiny at the low end while exaggerating differences at the high end.

The EPA's fueleconomy.gov site does actually display gallons per 100 miles, but it's in small text under an enormous MPG reading. I'm not sure if it's also required to be on the Monroney.

For anyone interested, in my comparison the numbers are as follows:
2013 Escalade Hybrid 4WD: 4.8gal/100mi
2013 Escalade 6.2L AWD: 6.7gal/100mi
2013 Prius: 2.1gal/100mi
2013 Corolla Automatic: 3.4gal/100mi

So every 100 miles the Escalade Hybrid saves 1.9 gallons of fuel versus its plain gasoline counterpart where the Prius only saves 1.3 gallons compared to the Corolla (which is admittedly not the same, but the platforms are related and it's the closest I could figure).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I also like L/100km because gas is usually around $1/liter these days, so it's easy to figure out, 400km at say 7 L/100km is going to be about $28.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
The Escalade may save more gas but only because it was already wildly, ridiculously inefficient.

The real solution is to stop the insane subsidies for gas in which case people would care a hell of a lot more about the 4.8 gallons than the 1.9 they are saving.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Powershift posted:

I also like L/100km because gas is usually around $1/liter these days, so it's easy to figure out, 400km at say 7 L/100km is going to be about $28.

gently caress you, gas just hit 1.50 a litre here for 87.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

D C posted:

gently caress you, gas just hit 1.50 a litre here for 87.

I'm guessing you're in BC, in which case buckle up.(or buy an electric car)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Thwomp posted:

He knows fuckall about electric motors.

When the Insight was brand new and I was obsessed with it, the local Honda dealer had one on the lot. I would ride by it every few days and soon noticed that it never moved and the price never changed by even a penny.

After something like two months of seeing it sit there, I convinced my dad that we should go test drive it. We went down to the dealership. We poked around at the car for several minutes while the dealers stood inside and watched us, not moving an inch. Eventually we went inside and asked to drive it.

1) Well, you can drive it, sir, but your son will have to stay outside because we have to have a salesperson in the vehicle and it only has two seats.
2) Also, you can't take it on the road. You can only drive it around on the back of the lot.

They did that and two minutes later came back. Dad gave the keys to the salesman and he wordlessly locked the car and went back inside. He told me that while they were in the back, he put the car in neutral and the idle-stop kicked in and killed the engine. The salesmen apparently looked at him and said "what'd you do, stall it?" and he had to explain "well, my son told me that this car stops the engine at stoplights in neutral to save gas."

Car salesmen are completely useless.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

death 2 dealerships

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Thank god I live in a country where it's pretty much unheard of for car salespeople to come along for the test drive.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

Thank god I live in a country where it's pretty much unheard of for car salespeople to come along for the test drive.

It’s weird. Some place insist they go with you for a cheap lovely car. Others toss you the keys to a Cayman and tell you where a nice curvy backroad is and to bring it back before they close in 6 hours. I’ve even had the, “take it overnight and see how it looks in your driveway” which is super nice.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It’s weird. Some place insist they go with you for a cheap lovely car. Others toss you the keys to a Cayman and tell you where a nice curvy backroad is and to bring it back before they close in 6 hours. I’ve even had the, “take it overnight and see how it looks in your driveway” which is super nice.

Yeah, and it’s totally not brand dependent either. When I bought my s60r I had one dealer insist on a boring as hell ride along test drive, and another photocopied my license and told me they could come pick it up from my office the next day, or just bring me the paperwork if I liked it.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

The Sicilian posted:

This is heresy. Our resident automotive “journalist” said the Bolt’s interior is amazing and without flaw.

I think the Bolt does many things right. However, the seats in the one I drove for a day left me wishing for a bit more comfort. Not a total deal killer, but to act like some things can't be improved in almost every car I've ever driven would be crazy.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Looks like the Model 3 topped the January-Feb sales figures.

Overall, Bolt sales are way down as well.

bolt

What is GM going to do with all these unsold Bolts? Other than a small delivery platform I'm coming up blank. They can't just b try them in the desert.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Sicilian posted:

What is GM going to do with all these unsold Bolts? Other than a small delivery platform I'm coming up blank. They can't just b try them in the desert.

I assume they can't easily re-badge them as Opel and sell them in Europe. There's still waiting lists here, as far as I know, so they would definitely sell.

Ola fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 9, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The Sicilian posted:

Looks like the Model 3 topped the January-Feb sales figures.

Maybe, maybe not. Those are only estimates. Unlike every other manufacturer, Tesla only releases their delivery figures quarterly.

We’ll know the real numbers in the first week of April. Sit tight.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If the Bolts get cheap enough my wife will probably buy one. I've been trying to get her into a 500e or Leaf, but with the Bolt she'd be covered for 100% of her driving vs. the 80-85% the <100mile range cars would get her.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Agronox posted:

Maybe, maybe not. Those are only estimates. Unlike every other manufacturer, Tesla only releases their delivery figures quarterly.

We’ll know the real numbers in the first week of April. Sit tight.

It's also global numbers only for Tesla and US numbers for everything else. I wonder if passengers on the Titanic drew up goofy charts to make it look like it wasn't sinking.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In this thread, we talk about the Honda Clarity, how godawful gently caress-ugly it is, and how Honda manages to sell them anyway, because they have an actual, functioning marketing department.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Three Olives posted:

The Escalade may save more gas but only because it was already wildly, ridiculously inefficient.
Well yea, that was kind of my point initially.

wolrah posted:

I know you joke, but if we can't convince the sort of people who buy enormous SUVs as daily drivers that their whole idea is idiotic, isn't making them capable of running on electricity as much as possible the next best thing?

Making wildly inefficient vehicles more efficient is both an easier target and more effective than trying to improve classes of vehicles that are already relatively efficient.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

eyebeem posted:

If the Bolts get cheap enough my wife will probably buy one. I've been trying to get her into a 500e or Leaf, but with the Bolt she'd be covered for 100% of her driving vs. the 80-85% the <100mile range cars would get her.

Ok, this post got me curious. The nearest Chevy dealer that even has any Bolts is about 50 miles away, they've got five all with the MSRP crossed out and "SALE" price listed between 38-43k. What the hell are these cars ACTUALLY selling for?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

Ok, this post got me curious. The nearest Chevy dealer that even has any Bolts is about 50 miles away, they've got five all with the MSRP crossed out and "SALE" price listed between 38-43k. What the hell are these cars ACTUALLY selling for?

https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/chevrolet/bolt-ev-pricing/

Seems to be a lot of people that do better than 10% off MSRP. $32,500 - $33,500.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Godholio posted:

The first thing I do when I'm shopping for a new car is to find the most-used web forum for that model and check for a "New Owner" or "what did you pay" thread. I almost always find one, and there's usually fresh posts from people giving rundowns of what they paid.

Also, truecar will give you an idea.

Truecar tells me $31,678 for a no options LT model (MSRP 38k) including $2,500 conquest cash (For owners OR leasees, which is nice as it's usually just leasees). Does not include tax rebates/etc.

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 9, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Jesus...truecar says 35k out here. Gee I wonder why they aren't selling.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ola posted:

I assume they can't easily re-badge them as Opel and sell them in Europe. There's still waiting lists here, as far as I know, so they would definitely sell.

They’re never coming to Europe.

GM is about to launch two more EVs on that platform in the next 12 months (probably a Buick and Cadillac) but it is interesting how sales are evaporating.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drgitlin posted:

They’re never coming to Europe.

GM is about to launch two more EVs on that platform in the next 12 months (probably a Buick and Cadillac) but it is interesting how sales are evaporating.

The bolt is already sold in europe as the Ampera-e

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Opel was sold to PSA, though. So their future lineup is a bit up in the air.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Isn't January the worst month for car sales? I just don't know how much should be read Into that graph YoY Feb is actually looking pretty good.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

The bolt is already sold in europe as the Ampera-e

Huh, I had thought that wasn’t happening.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I had a friend test drive a car (7-series?) for 4 days so he could take it on a weekend day trip with the family and commute with it. Granted he left an expensive car with them too, but I was still impressed.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is a thing?? I've never experienced this in CA, that seems crazy to me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drgitlin posted:

Huh, I had thought that wasn’t happening.

That's what the waiting lists are for. The ones on the used market now have 20-30% markup over new prices. Looks like someone has imported a bunch of Bolts too: https://www.finn.no/car/used/search.html?make=0.753&model=1.753.2000410

stevewm
May 10, 2005
When I got my Volt the sales guy insisted on coming along. He did nothing, nor said anything. And didn't know anything about the car.

When I was haggling over the price, the "sales manager" made the comment "Wouldn't you rather have a Malibu or something?" It's no surprise the Bolt and Volt don't sell well considering this attitude seems to be common amongst GM dealers.

In short, gently caress car dealerships and their entire business model. I've bought a few cars in my lifetime thus far, and the only positive part of the entire experience was getting to leave with the car.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 9, 2018

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Powershift posted:

It's also global numbers only for Tesla and US numbers for everything else. I wonder if passengers on the Titanic drew up goofy charts to make it look like it wasn't sinking.

The model 3 has only been sold to US customers so far, so that data point still stands.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Three Olives posted:

Frankly extended warranties seem like a good idea on electric cars right now. We have every reason to believe they will hold up very well long term because they are mechanically so simple and based on well understood technology but the drivetrains on them are insanely expensive to repair/replace and there isn't any long term data on them. It's like any insurance product but I have seen quotes of something like $6-$8k to replace a BMW i3 motor and there could be some unexpected failures.

I mean gently caress, Nissan shipped a shitload of Leafs to Arizona with air cooled batteries, BMW had to replace a bunch of motors because the whole assembly was attached by one underspec bolt that traction control could easily snap if the car was accelerating and the wheels left the road.

both of the cases you are talking about were covered by the OEM though even outside of the normal warranty period

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I'm pretty happy with the Volt's coverage.. 8 years/100k for anything to do with the Voltec powertrain including the batteries.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

stevewm posted:

When I was haggling over the price, the "sales manager" made the comment "Wouldn't you rather have a Malibu or something?" It's no surprise the Bolt and Volt don't sell well considering this attitude seems to be common amongst GM dealers.

I wonder if it has anything to do with their service departments, the last two times I have taken my i3 in to the dealership they told me it might take a while because there are only two guys in the entire service department that can touch them and one was out.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Three Olives posted:

I wonder if it has anything to do with their service departments, the last two times I have taken my i3 in to the dealership they told me it might take a while because there are only two guys in the entire service department that can touch them and one was out.

Ahaha, I had to do some software update due to a recall and I just barely avoided having to come back a different day because their "electric car guy" was just walking out the door. He was kind enough to plug in their update computer and push the button before he left. They're just, like, afraid of them or something.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

RZA Encryption posted:

Ahaha, I had to do some software update due to a recall and I just barely avoided having to come back a different day because their "electric car guy" was just walking out the door. He was kind enough to plug in their update computer and push the button before he left. They're just, like, afraid of them or something.

Nah, that's a real thing. The OE won't pay warranty unless it's done by a trained tech, and God forbid the dealership spend money to train techs in advance of need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The Volt/Bolt has the same problem. Only Volt/Bolt service certified dealers can service them. Well to a certain degree... My local dealer (who is not Volt certified) told me they can service any part that is not Voltec specific or as long as it doesn't require touching the HV system in any way. They can also install any needed software updates, which they have done on my car. (there was a GM recall/bulletin for a update to prevent a false check engine light).

Edit: now that I think about it... I really hope that is GM policy. I was told that it was, but.. that was just one dealer. Anyways GM marked that recall as done on my car and no one complained. I do have another active recall now about the 12v battery charging connector coming loose from the DC-DC converter. For which I will have to take it to a Volt certified service department given that it deals with the HV part of the car.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 9, 2018

• Locked thread