Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

fookolt posted:

I've had three Kindles so far and they're all great, but I actually really prefer the responsiveness of regular screens compared to e-ink (smooth page swipes vs waiting for e-ink screen to refresh).

Waiting? The refresh in less than a second...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

SB35 posted:

Waiting? The refresh in less than a second...

Under a second is still several orders of magnitude slower than LCD screens.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Horn posted:

The nexus 4 display is capable of refreshing 60 times a second. That's a lot more, but it's hardly "several orders of magnitude slower."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Horn posted:

Typical tablet/phone reading applications have little animation effects changing pages that tend to last about as long as an e-ink page turn.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Schmoli posted:

Anyone found any cheaper screen protectors than the official Asus one yet? I know they will start popping up soon but I'd like to get something on this thing before it gets a scratch and pisses me off.

Amazon is wanting $18+ for the official Asus (2 covers, 1 matte 1 glossy: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DY3J8UI

Actually Amazon is selling them for $14 but they are backordered 2-4 weeks (check the "more buying options" window on the right). I ordered one from the seller that has them for $18 (antonline) who say they have them in stock but I submitted the order on Friday and it hasn't shipped yet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Once again the Asus premium cover does not support the smart cover function that they built into the tablet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

Once again the Asus premium cover does not support the smart cover function that they built into the tablet.
Magnets are expensive, man!

e: This Poetic case looks similar and has the magnet.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 29, 2013

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Went to order it and it won't be in stock for another month.

If there's a smart cover capable one, I'll get it, I just can't find a good (available) option.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

I just ordered one of these, they claim they'll support that functionality.

http://shop.portenzo.com/hardback-for-the-new-nexus-7/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The Poetic Covers are low quality. The same cover for my Nexus 10 and OG Nexus 7 hardly lasted a couple months.

Does anyone have the premium ASUS cover for sale?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Does anybody make a N7 smart cover that's just the cover without a case that wraps the whole thing? I'd like to have the smart cover functionality without bulking up the device so much.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The Poetic Covers are low quality. The same cover for my Nexus 10 and OG Nexus 7 hardly lasted a couple months.

Gamestop should have them in stores by the 2nd.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thoom posted:

Does anybody make a N7 smart cover that's just the cover without a case that wraps the whole thing? I'd like to have the smart cover functionality without bulking up the device so much.

Someone should make a cover that is just a bumper that goes around the sides but one side has a screen covering flap attached to it that magnetically seals around the edges of the bumper to keep it closed and open.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Don Lapre posted:

Gamestop should have them in stores by the 2nd.

If they premium cover doesn't support the sleep function, I'll see if I can mcguyver it in. I have a bunch of tiny slim coin-shaped neodymium magnets that I'll try to put to good use.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Civil posted:

If they premium cover doesn't support the sleep function, I'll see if I can mcguyver it in. I have a bunch of tiny slim coin-shaped neodymium magnets that I'll try to put to good use.

They certainly havn't mentioned it in their materials that it supports it.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Does anyone know if the new Nexus 7 can do 720p skype chats out of the box? I know there was a hack for the 1st gen N7, but I'd like some hi-def videoconferencing options.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Counterpoint: I have a Poetic case for my OG N7 that I've been using for 9+ months and it's as good as the day I put it on. My N7 travels loosely in my work backpack nearly everyday so it doesn't live an easy life.

edit: Nevermind, I just noticed I have the Poetic Hardback Case which is different.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 30, 2013

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Anyone notice any issues with their new nexus 7 touch screen? I just got mine today and it seems like I'm getting taps when scrolling up and down. I'm wondering if I should return it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Shadowgate posted:

Anyone notice any issues with their new nexus 7 touch screen? I just got mine today and it seems like I'm getting taps when scrolling up and down. I'm wondering if I should return it.

Yes, you should return it if it's doing that. Why would you keep it?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Shadowgate posted:

I've noticed the opposite, where some touches would sometimes fail to register. It happened most often the day I got it but has worked itself out a bit since then. I've read of other people have similar problems so it's probably a software thing related to touch responsiveness in general. I expect a small update in the future. If it's bad exchange it for a new one.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes, you should return it if it's doing that. Why would you keep it?

I plan on it, but wanted to make sure it's not effecting everyone.

PK-Fire
Sep 26, 2003
I noticed some missed taps and awkward scrolling when I first started using my nexus 7, but after it finished its updates it's been fine. I'm really enjoying it so far and after using an iPhone for the past year it's nice to play with android again.
Does anyone know if there are companies coming out with a decent folio style case with a notepad?
I've been looking at this one:
http://www.dodocase.com/products/dodocase-folio-for-nexus-7-2
But it's pricey at $125 and maybe a bit bulkier than it needs to be.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

PK-Fire posted:

I noticed some missed taps and awkward scrolling when I first started using my nexus 7, but after it finished its updates it's been fine. I'm really enjoying it so far and after using an iPhone for the past year it's nice to play with android again.
Does anyone know if there are companies coming out with a decent folio style case with a notepad?
I've been looking at this one:
http://www.dodocase.com/products/dodocase-folio-for-nexus-7-2
But it's pricey at $125 and maybe a bit bulkier than it needs to be.

To replicate the touch issue, I load an app (the play store works nicely) and scroll rapidly up and down on the right side. The scrolling will be jumpy and eventually it starts to click stuff on the screen, even though I'm still scrolling.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Is it plugged in when it happens? Some chargers/cables cause weird grounding issues.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nope unplugged. It only does it on the right side of the screen. If I turn on show touches, I can move my finger around and things are smooth, but on the right side when moving vertically, it gets super jumpy.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Am I imagining things or has the 4.3 update made my OG Nexus 7 smoother and nicer than ever?? It's never felt "bad" but suddenly all scrolling, animations, etc feel smoother than ever before.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Polo-Rican posted:

Am I imagining things or has the 4.3 update made my OG Nexus 7 smoother and nicer than ever?? It's never felt "bad" but suddenly all scrolling, animations, etc feel smoother than ever before.

Same here, and that seems to be the case for most people with the old Nexus 7. Looks like that stupid TRIM bug is finally gone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

sethsez posted:

Same here, and that seems to be the case for most people with the old Nexus 7. Looks like that stupid TRIM bug is finally gone.

Google actually added TRIM support in Android 4.3. Not sure why it wasn't there in the first place but yeah...it's been added for every Nexus device running 4.3.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Any downsides to the 4.3 update on the original N7. I saw that most video players need an update to work, but I am curious if there is anything else.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Alright, haven't been around these parts in a year since I bought my OG N7. Any rooting solutions available yet?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Any downsides to the 4.3 update on the original N7. I saw that most video players need an update to work, but I am curious if there is anything else.
You...err...might lose the urge to buy the new one when it starts running super fast again?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bob A Feet posted:

Alright, haven't been around these parts in a year since I bought my OG N7. Any rooting solutions available yet?
Unlock the bootloader, flash recovery, flash SuperSU. Done.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2382051

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Tunga posted:

You...err...might lose the urge to buy the new one when it starts running super fast again?

Now that my OG N7 is running quick again I might actually be returning my new N7. Still within the return policy, heh.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Any downsides to the 4.3 update on the original N7.

No.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Anyone else finding trhe 4.3 update +google maps on the N4 is causing it to get absurdly hot? It's definately frawing a lot more power when running navigation now than the previous version.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05kS2RDiYjA

The same guy who did a review (and unboxing) on the Nexus 4 also did one for the Nexus 7 2013.

Speaking of the new 7, apparently the full name is Nexus 7 FHD.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Any downsides to the 4.3 update on the original N7.

It seems like Google is getting into a cycle of rushing a version of Android for a new flagship phone with numerous issues then fixing that version with the next tablet.

The Galaxy Nexus and N7 were destroyed by 4.2, and then slightly helped with 4.2.2. It makes me a little hesitant to do the next November release.

4.0 had pretty horrible issues. 4.1 was great. 4.2 had issues. 4.3 seems great. I guess next it's Key Lime Pie with some great new features, new Nexus Phone and horrible crippling bugs in about 4 months.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

kitten smoothie posted:

I just ordered one of these, they claim they'll support that functionality.

http://shop.portenzo.com/hardback-for-the-new-nexus-7/

I have a Potrtenzo bookcase for my OG Nexus 7 and the smart cover function works great. If/when I upgrade my tablet I will definitely get another one.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

8th-samurai posted:

I have a Potrtenzo bookcase for my OG Nexus 7 and the smart cover function works great. If/when I upgrade my tablet I will definitely get another one.

drat I just ordered a suede jacket from sfbags but this thing looks even better. I was going to use the jacket plus my pelican 1055 but maybe I'll just use that for big trips and camping and get this thing too. From the reviews it sounds like it's pretty easy to pop out of the case when you don't want it, and the strips can be 'refreshed' but one reviewer said he used it a ton and hadn't had to yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
There are a whole bunch of cases on sale on Amazon right now for less about $3-10 shipped. A few of them shipping within a little more than a week. Link to Slickdeals

For that cheap, even if the cases are low quality and last 3 months, poo poo, buy 3!