Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
So really strange things happen when you mix dragonfire with temperature being turned off. I had a perfectly fine, accessible depot that merchants acknowledged was there (no "bypassed your inaccessible site"), but wouldn't actually path to, and then my soldiers wouldn't path from inside the fort to outside. I got even more suspicious when an entire goblin siege refused to set foot near my front door, and tried turning temperature back on as a diagnostic measure.

At which point the entire map turns into fire, but that chunk of the map was traversable again. Also the siege was just kinda gone, except some trolls that huddled on my doorstep. :supaburn:

This from a dragon attack (and subsequent capture) that happened like a year prior, of course.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Nothing better to show your noble how much you hate him than a very valuable but rock hard bed.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

You should all be using separate lanes for archery ranges for the simple reason that it looks better than a dull line of targets in a dull square room.

won't this cause more arrow to break since you'll be hitting more walls?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

program666 posted:

won't this cause more arrow to break since you'll be hitting more walls?

the wooden bolt, prized commodity of all dorf fortasses

program666
Aug 22, 2013

lol oh well, I'm used to dig channels around the targets so I can re-use the bolts but you might be right, maybe I shouldn't worry.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I had an idea about Fortress Mode:

What if you could send an adventuring party of dwarves on an away mission? Say, for instance, you could build a structure that acted as a staging point, and you could assign a squad of dwarves to a quest. Once each dwarf in the squad reached the building, a wagon would spawn and those dwarves would make their way to the nearest map edge.

The game could then calculate their destination, goal, time away, chance of survival, skills honed, and loot. They could return victorious, defeated, or not at all. The adventuring party could form stronger relationships with one another while away, teach skills to one another, get robbed while on the road, bring back companions, get waylaid and injured, go partially or fully missing, or a slew of other results.
This same mechanic could be expanded to include diplomatic missions, religious pilgrimages, raiding parties, slaver's runs, etc.

And of course, with all the talk about randomly generated poems, what better way to get some good poem fodder than to send dwarves on quests and have them return victorious with the head of a slain beast or a priceless artifact, or a tale of an ancient beast they could not overcome.

Has there been such a suggestion before?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Masterwork was trying to implement that exact suggestion iirc

I love Masterwork but I can't, I won't go back to the days of single tile trees. I'm hoping they port it into DF2014 someday. Hopefully without succubi because that poo poo's weird.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

Hopefully without succubi because that poo poo's weird.

Seriously. I was going to try out a succubi fort, I could look past the corsets and thongs but this

quote:

Tentacle monster -
Unlike what their reputation says about them...... In addition, tentacle monsters will clean nearby succubi off contaminants.

Unlike their reputation where they are rape monsters, they'll still rub their tentacles all over a succubi to clean her off.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Prop Wash posted:

I love Masterwork but I can't, I won't go back to the days of single tile trees. I'm hoping they port it into DF2014 someday. Hopefully without succubi because that poo poo's weird.

A ground up rewrite to clean a bunch of crap up is underway for DF2014 now.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Leal posted:

Seriously. I was going to try out a succubi fort, I could look past the corsets and thongs but this

Unlike their reputation where they are rape monsters, they'll still rub their tentacles all over a succubi to clean her off.

Looks like things got worse since I moved to 2014. Still, the races weren't getting any better otherwise, gnomes were still unfocused as gently caress (a race of nature-loving hippies that get magical friendships with animals, but also are mechanical experts that can strip mine) and the warlock race, which was awesome but really didn't seem to work out well within the constraints of the syndrome system. Hermit was pretty hilarious though.

necrotic posted:

Helllllllllllllllllllllll yes. I imagine it's probably a tremendous pain in the rear end to recode everything, given DF's opacity, but I appreciate their effort. Can't wait to cut those multi-level trees AND make a single job order to craft an entire set of clothing.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

program666 posted:

lol oh well, I'm used to dig channels around the targets so I can re-use the bolts but you might be right, maybe I shouldn't worry.

With the massive buff to trees, it's really not an huge issue if you live in a decently wooded biome. Aesthetics should almost always trump efficiency in my book.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Prop Wash posted:

Masterwork was trying to implement that exact suggestion iirc

Those fuckin trees in DF2014 are a thing of absolute beauty, but it's just not worth it when that poo poo slows down to unplayable levels within a couple of years of embark. I hope the Masterwork rewrite helps clean that poo poo up one way or another.

Handily, that brings me to my question; I rarely last more than a couple of years because I'm absolute dogshit at protecting my fortress. I always think I'm doing well getting a force ready and then bam, some fucker shows up and tears us right the hell apart. Sometimes I can drive them away once or twice but I'm attrited into defeat anyway. So you proplayers gotta help me out: How the heck do I get my poo poo together in time to effectively stop this? I'm not expecting to get away with zero casualties all the time, and I could just turn invasions off completely or wall up the entrance, but I'd prefer not to.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I find that it's easier to avoid the first siege than to take it head-on.

When I start building my fortress, I plan the entrance as if there were a drawbridge. I elongate an area and then channel it out. Later, when I have a mechanic's workshop up and several mechanisms, I build the drawbridge, link it to a lever, and make sure it closes in the correct direction (don't choose 'retracts' or your opponents will just traverse the channeled area).
Then, just make a burrow somewhere in your fort (preferably in the same area as the lever for the drawbridge), and set the alarm for your entire civ in the military screen.

This exact scenario happened to me last night. I lost both my war dogs and a few livestock, but my dwarves were holed up and unharmed.

It also helps to try and get a well dug and watered within your first year, so your dwarves don't die of thirst in the case the siege party decides to have a picnic on your front lawn.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Mister Adequate posted:

Those fuckin trees in DF2014 are a thing of absolute beauty, but it's just not worth it when that poo poo slows down to unplayable levels within a couple of years of embark. I hope the Masterwork rewrite helps clean that poo poo up one way or another.

I am absolutely certain the speed problem isn't strictly related to the new style of trees, but rather a whole bunch of surface biome poo poo - petals and fruit and what seems to be a generally much-more-complicated life cycle of above ground plants. I'm sure Meph et al. will find some compromises on settings (i.e. poo poo to just leave out) that work better.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

necrotic posted:

Is this being chronicled somewhere on the Bay 12 Forums? I looks pretty quiet at the Masterwork subforum...

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Is this being chronicled somewhere on the Bay 12 Forums? I looks pretty quiet at the Masterwork subforum...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147276.0

edit: also http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147324.0

necrotic fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 4, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

program666 posted:

I do it too. Ever since the update that allowed quivers to hold a variety of bolts it is super cool to hoard your used bolts.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Leal posted:

lmao i posted about the succubus race a while ago because i was curious about it but i somehow missed this detail

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's made by some guy who has written some... fanfic in the past about his own mods, iirc.

Wish meph wouldn't package it up with masterwork

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I made a quick test with the same save file and it would run at 27 FPS on windows and 33 FPS on linux. Also it seems that the game is multi-threaded now? That's amazing, too bad the code is inefficient enough that it would only use 25% of my quad processor defeating the purpose lol.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Uh, guys?

Have you ever accidentally embarked on top of a campsite? There's nobody here, just campfires and empty tents. Not that I mind, a windfall of ibex leather and silk is always welcome, but I can't remember anyone else talking about this.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You done lucked out, son.

I think the Modest Mod does something to help FPS, it makes the inedible tree seeds and crap go away quickly instead of piling up year after year.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
So what the deallio? My current fort had a baron promoted by the government, then a SECOND baron promotion (liason asked for recommendations in two different years), then a THIRD baron promoted by inheritance. So now I have 3 at once.

Also I caged and tamed a bunch of giant emus, but of the four females that laid clutches, only one clutch was fertilized. There are two males. Is it just normal for eggs to not be fertile?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Egg fertilizing isn't guaranteed, that's normal. The multiple barons thing definitely sounds like a bug, though.

Also I discovered something cool: if you want to weight megabeasts towards a particular type, you can use the [CLUSTER_NUMBER:x:x] tag in conjunction with the megabeast limit to do so. So for instance if you set dragons to 3:3 and hydras to 5:5 you end up with a world whose megabeasts are 50% hydras, 30% dragons, and 10% each giant birds and animate bronze statues. Or you could set everything to 1:10 or so and get a semi-random grab bag instead of exactly 25% each.

(I didn't achieve what I actually wanted, which was to make megabeasts attack in mating pairs, but I guess that's :science: for you.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 4, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I also got two barons by inheritance

Multiple megabeasts attacking would be really cool but they might attack each other even if you're able to do it, but that would also be cool. One on the surface and another on the caves would be rad too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, right, I forgot migrant dwarves are actual people now and the game tracks off-screen relatives (who can die and pass on titles, apparently.) That's kind of cool, although I wonder how well the game handles it after the fact.

program666 posted:

Multiple megabeasts attacking would be really cool but they might attack each other even if you're able to do it, but that would also be cool. One on the surface and another on the caves would be rad too.

This can already happen; I've had multiple forgotten beasts on a map on many occasions, megabeasts + sieges once or twice, and a megabeast + a forgotten beast at the same time once in a previous version. I suspect even multiple surface megabeasts is possible, it's just statistically unlikely (not least because they get captured, killed by sieges, or killed by your own military before enough time passes.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 4, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I swear, past the first fort in a given world every other immigrant is a veteran inhabitant of my earlier forts that I got bored of and retired. "Nah we heard dis where the action is. I'm a high master mason blublublublub"

program666
Aug 22, 2013

It's my first fort and I got a legendary marskman, I checked if he was a hunter so he training marksdwarfism a lot and nope. Maybe the thing about tracking people off-screen make it more likely for these kind of guys to show up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

According to Toady the migrant system deliberately selects for dwarves who have skills you either lack completely in your fortress, and/or who have skills you use all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if whatever heuristics that uses encourages it to grab dwarves from your old forts more often.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

According to Toady the migrant system deliberately selects for dwarves who have skills you either lack completely in your fortress, and/or who have skills you use all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if whatever heuristics that uses encourages it to grab dwarves from your old forts more often.

He should check his heuristics for fisherdwarves. I get like a million of them in each fort and disable it immediately.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

necrotic posted:

He should check his heuristics for fisherdwarves. I get like a million of them in each fort and disable it immediately.

You don't have to disable it manually! Since 2012 there's been a setting in d_init (I think) where you can set migrants to have no labors enabled.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You don't have to disable it manually! Since 2012 there's been a setting in d_init (I think) where you can set migrants to have no labors enabled.

Yeah, I actually turned that on recently after I saw it. So much easier to manage large migration waves!

program666
Aug 22, 2013

That's loving awesome to know, immigrants with labors get in the way of the skilled ones and make them learn slower. Funnily enough I have a good system where I just use a custom labor in the rapist that resets a dwarf to the default set of skills, but I noticed that it also helps mark dwarfs that don't have a important task to perform so I can use them as emergency hands for other stuff, and when they die it's not really a problem.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

and you can also haul them to a trap door 3 z-levels above and train your medics

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
E: Disregard.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

In Masterwork, whats the embark animal that will help you deal with vermin? I can find all sorts of exotic animals, but not cats... :confused:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

And now, I attempt to ward off FPS death by simultaneously using up my stone reserves and eliminating some of the growing-things slowdown by paving over everything. EVERYTHING.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I really kinda wish it was easier to see why the game crashes. Sometimes, it'll crash when I'm just days away from a new season, which is extremely infuriating. Other times, it'll crash mere minutes into the game after I've designated a bunch of stuff to be done, but before I've let the game run for any significant amount of time. I'm not sure which enrages me more, frankly. It'd be nice to see an error log and maybe be able to figure out if it's the same drat thing that's causing the crashes or what.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

I really kinda wish it was easier to see why the game crashes. Sometimes, it'll crash when I'm just days away from a new season, which is extremely infuriating. Other times, it'll crash mere minutes into the game after I've designated a bunch of stuff to be done, but before I've let the game run for any significant amount of time. I'm not sure which enrages me more, frankly. It'd be nice to see an error log and maybe be able to figure out if it's the same drat thing that's causing the crashes or what.

I've had a run of crashes shortly after installing Modest Mod, and using the hacked-in box designate feature for constructions. I should probably use/not use them one at a time to diagnose it, but :effort:.

This seems like a good time to mention that DFHack has a quicksave feature; I think you can even bind it to a key in the configuration file if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This seems like a good time to mention that DFHack has a quicksave feature; I think you can even bind it to a key in the configuration file if you want.

Please tell me how to do this. I'm running just the LNP, no extra mods. This last crash happened after I had designated a wall to be built that was 2 high, using the UMHK keys to designate the size of said construction. I don't really remember what I was doing before the other crashes though, sadly.