Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I tried out the new Discover and watchlist thing and it seems pretty cool? I would get a lot of use out of this if all my media didn't already fall off the back of a truck. An overview of what's available and what's new across all my streaming subscriptions that isn't littered with ads is really nice to have. Good feature and it's a perfect fit for Plex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

acksplode posted:

I tried out the new Discover and watchlist thing and it seems pretty cool? I would get a lot of use out of this if all my media didn't already fall off the back of a truck. An overview of what's available and what's new across all my streaming subscriptions that isn't littered with ads is really nice to have. Good feature and it's a perfect fit for Plex.

Yeah, I hadn't realized until this thread that Apple was doing the same crap, junking up your screen with ads.

I wonder if they're considering making Plex an Android app launcher. It would be like the Google TV / Fire TV / Apple TV app launcher experience, but without a ton of dumb ads.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

acksplode posted:

Yeah, I used mdblist that hooks into trakt.tv to provide Sonarr with a rough filtering of 'hey everytime you see a new english language TV show that doesn't look like complete dogshit, grab the pilot for me thanks' but discover will help me see what's coming out even if I don't need to hook it into sonarr.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

kri kri posted:

At least its confined to the ATV app. I remapped my home button immediately when I got the appletv. I recently booted up my nvidia shield again, and holy poo poo that thing is infested with ads. And glacially slow compared to the ATV. It is absurd.

Yeah, good thing installing a new launcher is easy.

I notice shows on my watch list are in order by Service, not alphabetical. So Disney (ABCD) Netflix (ABCD) and so on. The Watchlist needs work and :lol: for them opting in everyone to a BETA. If that's does indicate a sign of things to come.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

cruft posted:

Yeah, I hadn't realized until this thread that Apple was doing the same crap, junking up your screen with ads.

I wonder if they're considering making Plex an Android app launcher. It would be like the Google TV / Fire TV / Apple TV app launcher experience, but without a ton of dumb ads.

The call of ad revenue is strong. If Discover takes off, I'm sure Plex will take money from companies to promote whatever dumb media they want.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

univbee posted:

Not Plex-specific but something I wanted to mention because the results behind it are pretty incredible.

On Black Friday I picked up the Topaz AI upscaling bundle, and finally started putting it through its paces for movies that only exist on DVD at best and have no HD release.

ymmv but this is what I got from the Korean 1999 film Attack The Gas Station. All DVDs have hosed colors except the Korean one which is letterboxed (so native res was 720x366 with 0.9 PAR). I upscaled it to 720p since going past quadrupling the resolution is seen as getting into more questionable territory. Anyway with this I got an output that doesn't seem to be distinguishable from a theoretical official 720p version with a medium bitrate on a streaming app, which given the source material it was working with is something I'm more than happy to accept.

I did this on an Apple M1 laptop which could do about 3 frames per second.
Gaia is a pretty good model for already-good material that you want to upsample (it's the engine of most "4K upscale" projects) but it does suffer on lower quality media. It will try to add too much, get confused a little too easily, and end up putting weird grain and pores on faces that are very close up, and artifacting on ones that are far away/at an angle. I find you just see the model working too much in the output and it's distracting. Keeping the output at 720p or just doing a 100% denoise/deblock minimizes this however.

It's worth giving a couple of other models a try. Artemis is really good at taking wonky MPEG-2 and outputting something that looks like a low res bluray or HDTV rip. It just cleans it up without trying to over-paint hair and eyelashes etc. It's also quite a lot faster than Gaia.

I use it on mediocre F1 archive footage to great effect.

Results can be black-magic for removing the blockies that destroy anything in motion in particular.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Huh, weird. I went to consolidate all my watch lists into Plex with the new Watchlist beta, and I can add everything except TV shows that are already in my library. I can add the show to the watchlist if I use the "more ways to watch" option, but it won't let me do it from my library page like it does with my movies. And if I go to the show in my watchlist after adding it that way, it won't show me that it's available in my library either (it'll show movies in my library that way though). It's not a big thing, I can always just go back and check my TV library page to see what I've got up next but that's weird.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

kri kri posted:

It's not bad design for Apple, they want you to purchase things and re-subscribe to services. I don't really use the Apple TV app at all, I just use the apps which are mostly Plex, Netflix, Disney Plus. Netflix refuses to tie its service into Apple TV app, so you have to use the app anyways.

Anybody else finally dump Netflix? My Plex library is massive, and I have no issues subscribing to streaming services (We have access to almost every streaming service through friends and family account sharing), but Netflix just keeps jacking up their prices, 4K is extra, and most of their content is fluff or gets cancelled after a few seasons. The only thing I'll really miss is GBBO, which I can typically just watch through BBC anyways.

Most of the media I'm watching nowadays comes from HBO, Disney+, or AppleTV+.

Bonzo posted:

Yeah, good thing installing a new launcher is easy.

I notice shows on my watch list are in order by Service, not alphabetical. So Disney (ABCD) Netflix (ABCD) and so on. The Watchlist needs work and :lol: for them opting in everyone to a BETA. If that's does indicate a sign of things to come.

It's 2022 - Why would any b2c business bother investing in their QA team when they can roll out software updates to hundreds of thousands of users to do it for them?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Gay Retard posted:

Anybody else finally dump Netflix? My Plex library is massive, and I have no issues subscribing to streaming services (We have access to almost every streaming service through friends and family account sharing), but Netflix just keeps jacking up their prices, 4K is extra, and most of their content is fluff or gets cancelled after a few seasons. The only thing I'll really miss is GBBO, which I can typically just watch through BBC anyways.

Most of the media I'm watching nowadays comes from HBO, Disney+, or AppleTV+.

I would dump Netflix but my wife won't let me. I think they keep rolling enough true crime and standup shows through it so she stays interested. The selection is pretty bad whenever I go look. Heck, AppleTV+ has been crushing it lately with their shows, Severance, Foundation and Slow Horses are all good to great.

I'd rather move from Netflix to Disney+, I think the kids would probably prefer that too.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Netflix is just not worth $20 a month. At this point I don't know if its worth $10 a month. They lost a huge amount of back catalog (Star Trek, The Office, MCU shows, etc) and now seem to be recycling Korean content, design shows, stuff no one else wants (branded as originals), and bizarre reality shows. Even their sci-fi stuff has fallen flat and they can't keep going back to Stranger Things.

Disney is $130 a year and (in :canada: at least) has Hulu content. CBC Gem is $5/month and has live TV plus some decent content. The UI is terrible though. Apple is $8 a month and has amazing exclusive content.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If my wife didn't fall asleep to Criminal Minds every night, I'd probably cancel Netflix. As it is, happy wife, happy life.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I figured that would be been pulled and up on Paramount+ by now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bonzo posted:

I figured that would be been pulled and up on Paramount+ by now.
Well poo poo it is. Maybe I will cancel Netflix.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm really glad everybody was able to gut Netflix and we're back to Cable TV again. It was a real shame paying one low price to a single service for everything I wanted.

Which, I suppose, is why we're all posting on the Plex thread.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Netflix lost Star Trek!?!?!

I havent been able to watch much TV since I had my kid this year but was looking forward to working my way through all of Star Trek TNG. That sucks!

If not for in-laws pilfering off my Netflix we'd probably get rid of it too. Sonarr/Radarr/Plex just make things a whole lot easier.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

:sever:, trust me. I did the same thing earlier this year and they can deal with it. “This isn’t worth the $20 a month to me and I’m cancelling the service. If you want to do a family plan or something let me know and we can see what we can do.”

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

cruft posted:

I'm really glad everybody was able to gut Netflix and we're back to Cable TV again. It was a real shame paying one low price to a single service for everything I wanted.

Which, I suppose, is why we're all posting on the Plex thread.

Yeah. There was a window there where I basically abandoned piracy since Netflix was solving The Cable TV Problem effectively enough and at the right price point. Then the license holders figured out how to run a website and the market got hosed again.

Innovation!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah. There was a window there where I basically abandoned piracy since Netflix was solving The Cable TV Problem effectively enough and at the right price point. Then the license holders figured out how to run a website and the market got hosed again.

Innovation!

Yeah basically the granulation of services has ended up costing me more to get less each year so gently caress it, back to :filez:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm paying ~$4/month for Netflix premium. Used a VPN to get rates from Turkey. :smuggo:

It's a bit of a hassle to do, but worth not spending $20+ a month for Netflix imo.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I thought they blocked VPNs? No one had Netflix in Canada until everyone started figure out the VPN so we could get US content.

And I believe that is what caused the content owners to say, "gently caress it, want mine" and now we're back to cable. Pretty soon TimeWarner is going to just offer streaming sticks in place of cable boxes, just you watch.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bonzo posted:

I thought they blocked VPNs? No one had Netflix in Canada until everyone started figure out the VPN so we could get US content.

And I believe that is what caused the content owners to say, "gently caress it, want mine" and now we're back to cable. Pretty soon TimeWarner is going to just offer streaming sticks in place of cable boxes, just you watch.

Nope, works just fine for me. I only used the VPN to lock in the Turkish rates. After that, I just log into my account on whatever device and can play everything from the US catalog no problem. Billing is in TL + VAT, but gets converted. So total + VAT fees is 54.99 TL/month, which works out to just under $4/month USD.

From my bank transactions

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Pretty soon TimeWarner is going to just offer streaming sticks in place of cable boxes, just you watch.

This is already the case. Comcast has something called an "X1 TV Box" that lets you watch Netflix, which is helpfully something you can buy through Comcast.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/netflix-package-faqs

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've got Spectrum/Charter and use an app to watch Live TV. Which I need to cancel because my promo rate expired.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

cruft posted:

This is already the case. Comcast has something called an "X1 TV Box" that lets you watch Netflix, which is helpfully something you can buy through Comcast.

Bell has Netflix and Crave baked into their Fibe boxes. With Apple looking at a subscription model for their hardware, I bet Comcast or similar will just rent you a smart TV for $120 a month on a 24 month lease and OH GOD THAT COULD HAPPEN!!?!?

Apple+ has been running short ads for MLB games. Not sure of the pricing but its interesting to see how they run that.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

cruft posted:

My good friend asked me if he could get Plex working on one of those things. I laughed and ordered him a Google TV for him instead.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sky already do this in the UK, you can get their branded TV with a subscription which then removes the need for their satellite dish. I have not heard anything about whether or not the TV still functions if you stop subscribing since its basically a receiver box with a screen and speakers. They do a subscription bundle that includes Netflix now as well.

Bonzo posted:

Apple+ has been running short ads for MLB games. Not sure of the pricing but its interesting to see how they run that.
This is just part of the regular subscription, Apple's been really good at not going into tier hell with their stuff so weekend MLB games are just another thing you get with TV+ now. Kinda the same as how Amazon just rolled sports stuff into Prime Video when they got that. Though tech journos (noticably knowledgeable about sports) think this is going to change if Apple ever gets the NFL rights they supposedly want.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Netflix charging $10/mo for Standard Def streams is criminal.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
With Plex the only thing I pay for it Youtube Premium since that'd be near impossible to get via Plex. I also get HBO Max free with my internet but I don't really use it. My girlfriend keeps up Netflix and Hulu for mostly trash reality tv shows and true crime stuff. I could probably get most/all of it on Plex if I really tried but she hasn't asked and I don't really feel like polluting my server with that junk.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Watchlist doesn't tell you when there's a new episode on streaming. You can to click into the season(s) to see if there's an un-watched show.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Looks like Radarr merged Plex Watch list support!

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
At this point I’m almost too embarrassed to admit I don’t know or understand how sonarr/radarr/trakt work with Plex and what they do. I read the docs and I think they’re designed to be read by computer touchers and I still do things the old fashioned way. Is there an idiot’s guide anywhere?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jeherrin posted:

At this point I’m almost too embarrassed to admit I don’t know or understand how sonarr/radarr/trakt work with Plex and what they do. I read the docs and I think they’re designed to be read by computer touchers and I still do things the old fashioned way. Is there an idiot’s guide anywhere?

I like to think of Sonarr and Radarr as elaborate RSS feed readers: they essentially watch for new content that you're interested in and download it for you. Sonarr is for TV and Radarr for movies, there are equivalents for music and books. They don't integrate with Plex directly, they just manage the media directory that your Plex server is pointed at. So like you can configure Sonarr with a file source to watch, such as a site's RSS feed, integrate it with a download client that it can hand off to, and then tell it which shows you're interested in, and it'll download new episodes as they appear. Or upgrade episodes to better quality when it becomes available. If Plex is watching the directory then it'll pick up the new files.

Trakt is a totally separate thing, like a social media site where you can review media and see what people are watching. But it has an API that can be used to find out what movies/shows are new or trending, or what movies a specific user is interested in, and you can filter by genre and other useful things. So Radarr and Sonarr have an integration that lets you pull from that API to automatically add media to your watch list. I have a family member that loves horror movies, so I use the Trakt integration to download the top 10 trending horror movies over the last month.

I'm not aware of a simple guide for any of this, I think you have to dive in. To keep it simple I'd pick one of Sonarr or Radarr, depending on whether you download more movies or TV shows, and start there. Block off a few hours to install it and configure it, enjoy the fruits of your labor for a while, get comfortable with running it, then decide whether it's worth the effort to continue along.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jeherrin posted:

https://trash-guides.info/ I can't say I've used these myself but I see them get cited an awful lot.

Sonarr is a TV tool, Radarr is a movie tool. They're generally used with usenet and torrent sites to automate adding things to your collection. You tell Sonarr you like a show, it then tracks new episodes and downloads them automatically from your pre-existing sources and moves them over to your Plex library, with a standardized naming format.

Trakt is a bit different, it's just a tracking site for you to know what episodes/movies you've seen. There's been ways in the past to have Plex automatically talk to it and update your lists, but to do that officially now requires a $30 subscription. It also lets you make watchlists and similar, which you can feed into Sonarr/Radarr if you want. I use another site again to automate this a bit further, ie I give it parameters about what I want (new US tv shows that are on certain networks, for example) and it'll tell Trakt the stuff that it finds that meets this, and Sonarr can in turn read that list.

It's complicated the first time you set it all up, then it clicks and you're good and you rarely need to make adjustments.

efb: ha hopefully our two posts cover all the bases

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 12, 2022

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I would strongly suggest you get Sonarr running and then look at Radarr. I find Radarr has many more settings and will tend to download a 384GB 4k movie for no reason other than it thought you needed an upgrade.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bonzo posted:

I would strongly suggest you get Sonarr running and then look at Radarr. I find Radarr has many more settings and will tend to download a 384GB 4k movie for no reason other than it thought you needed an upgrade.

Yeah how the gently caress do i stop it upgrading? its annoying when ive watched the film and then months later all of a sudden its grabbed an 80GB rip for seemingly no other reason than it felt like it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You set cut off limits with regards to what you want. Like if you don’t want remuxes etc don’t have them selected. You can also set max file sizes for each type of rip in the settings.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

^^^ efb :argh:

Laserface posted:

Yeah how the gently caress do i stop it upgrading? its annoying when ive watched the film and then months later all of a sudden its grabbed an 80GB rip for seemingly no other reason than it felt like it.

Settings -> Profiles -> Quality Profiles to configure the logic that tells Sonarr/Radarr what quality to download and whether to upgrade files. You can tweak the default quality profiles or add your own.

Settings -> Quality -> Quality Definitions to configure the cutoffs for min/max size (total and per-minute) for a given file type. You can tweak these so you aren't downloading absurdly huge bluray rips or something.

I forget what the defaults look like, but if you're getting surprised by big downloads maybe check quality profiles to make sure you aren't downloading remuxes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Your details completely usurp my ‘eh that shits there somewhere, just look’ post ha.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the issue i have is that i will usually get a sub 10GB file in the quality i want and it just randomly decides one day to upgrade it. why there isnt just a 'stop searching for files once downloaded successfully' i cannot understand.

sonarr does not do this at all.

I'll try what you suggested though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Does the new watchlist feature not actually sync what I have watched and what I haven’t? For example, I have watched 1.5 seasons of For All Mankind in Plex. However, if I go into my watchlist it shows everything as unwatched. Is there a setting I’m missing?