Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That stain on his crotch made me thought he'd legit uploaded a picture where he'd pissed his pants.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I still don't get why someone with such a lack of interest in his physique would publish pictures wearing a gym shirt.
incidentally, I wish someone would run hormone profiles on these people.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Remember, this is how milo actually used to look like prior into his transformation into a literal shield for the alt-right.

And he's still just as pathetic

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Are those glasses they're holding filled with loving mountain dew.

I don't know why but out of everything in this picture that is the worst part.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm shocked Milo could get over his burning hatred of women long enough to buy a Playboy.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Slate Star Codex posted:

Soviet jokes on Reddit. Pretty good. Most depressing is: “Q: Don’t the Constitutions of the USA and USSR both guarantee freedom of speech? A: Yes, but the Constitution of the USA also guarantees freedom after the speech” – not because of what it says about Russia but because it’s basically just the “freedom from speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences” argument that so many people love in a non-joke way here in America.

Scott is still doing well

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Scott is still doing well

He's not totally wrong, but a lot depends on what's meant by "consequences."

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
When the hell did conservatives forget what the First Amendment means? I was a teenage Dittohead in the early 90s, and I remember very well having arguments with liberal friends about how freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences or the right to have a venue provided. I remember saying things like that being an American means being allowed to call someone a racial slur and him being allowed to call you an rear end in a top hat in return, without anyone getting arrested.

I became a liberal without ever changing my opinion on free speech, and meanwhile the rest of the right appears to have jumped ship. I can't help but wonder what William F. Buckley and conservatives of his generation would think of this "I have the right not to be called an rear end in a top hat on Twitter" nonsense.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

pookel posted:

When the hell did conservatives forget what the First Amendment means? I was a teenage Dittohead in the early 90s, and I remember very well having arguments with liberal friends about how freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences or the right to have a venue provided. I remember saying things like that being an American means being allowed to call someone a racial slur and him being allowed to call you an rear end in a top hat in return, without anyone getting arrested.

I became a liberal without ever changing my opinion on free speech, and meanwhile the rest of the right appears to have jumped ship. I can't help but wonder what William F. Buckley and conservatives of his generation would think of this "I have the right not to be called an rear end in a top hat on Twitter" nonsense.

The principled version of this argument (which is not inherently right-wing) is that freedom of speech as an abstract moral principle is broader than the First Amendment, and that the principle of freedom of speech includes the right not to be punched in the face or fired by a private party for expressing one's opinions.

Anyone who argues for a right to make other people listen to them (or worse, for the Doctrine of the Preferred First Speaker) is an unprincipled rear end in a top hat who should be ignored, though.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
The thing is, it's already illegal to punch people in the face, and it doesn't matter why you're doing it.

As for firing, I don't see a way you can reasonably make it illegal to fire someone for saying "I hate feminazis and libtards" without also making it illegal to fire them for saying "you're a lovely boss and I hate this job."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

pookel posted:

As for firing, I don't see a way you can reasonably make it illegal to fire someone for saying "I hate feminazis and libtards" without also making it illegal to fire them for saying "you're a lovely boss and I hate this job."

California, New York, and DC have laws against discrimination on the basis of an employee's political activity or affiliation, and Colorado and North Dakota prohibit discrimination on the basis of "lawful conduct outside of work." So it's not like such laws are impossible.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

The thing is, it's already illegal to punch people in the face, and it doesn't matter why you're doing it.

You shouldn't be able to fire them for the second one either, since people angry about lovely bosses and bad jobs are basically how unions get started.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
A notable exception is when people in PR and other positions where they can directly represent their company (such as ones running twitter/their web presence etc.) say that kind of poo poo. In those circumstances, the company can indeed argue that the poo poo they said was damaging to the company, and fire them over that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

pookel posted:

you should absolutely be able to tell your boss he sucks and you hate your job, that's how things get fixed

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
David Severa: Selections from my forthcoming Harry Potter and the Methods of Neoreaction

quote:

“Slytherin!” the sorting hat cried before it even touched Harry’s head.

----

“You see Albus,” Harry continued, waxing eloquently, “What the Golden Snitch is to Quidditch, the natural aristocrat is to society. Indeed I have mapped out a compleat system of civilization in which the Bludgers are- Stop eating my candy, this is serious!“

----

Ron gazed in horror at the empty vault. There was nothing left. “All of the- all of your gold! It’s gone!”

”Invested Ron. Invested in the future,” Harry said knowingly. “When all this is dust, what will we fall back on? In the end, gold won’t even buy bread.”

”But, what…”

”You’re looking at the proud owner of several thousand acres in rural Idaho.”

Ron gurgled uncomprehendingly.

----

“Brothers and sisters, please! Heed my call! For too long the magical world has sat aloof from the rest of humanity. For too long have we held ourselves to be superior. We have certain abilities, yes, but there is so much we can learn from them as well. Despite our divisions, there is so much more that unites us. How can we stand by and let others live and die in ignorance and poverty? Let us embrace one another in love and fellowship,” cackled Voldemort.

----

“[8 page speech redacted],” Harry said wryly.

----

Hermione continued to wash the dishes.

----

Malfoy sat at Potter’s feet. He could barely follow the stream of words, but found them mesmerizing nonetheless. Here was a worldview that suited him! He dared to venture a question. “This is incredible. The Cathedral, the decadence of wizardry, it all makes so much sense. It changes everything. But when do we move beyond blogging about it?“

Harry gurgled uncomprehendingly.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

A much more significant criticism:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah, the right to say that second one there is one of the main arguments for protecting the first one.

Economic power is as important as formal coercive power and a lot of the left responses to alt-right grumbling about 'free speech' falls into the libertarian trap of strongly separating the two.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
guess it's time to repost Ayn Rand's Harry Potter: http://the-toast.net/2015/04/09/ayn-rands-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows/ (links to earlier ones are in that one)

“Steal Dad’s Anglia to fly to Hogwarts?” Ron cried in astonishment. “Mum would never let us hear the end of it!”

“The question isn’t who is going to let me,” Harry said, already climbing into the driver’s seat and making an informed, personal decision about whether or not he chose to wear a seatbelt, “it’s who is going to stop me.”

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Literally The Worst posted:

guess it's time to repost Ayn Rand's Harry Potter: http://the-toast.net/2015/04/09/ayn-rands-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows/ (links to earlier ones are in that one)

“Steal Dad’s Anglia to fly to Hogwarts?” Ron cried in astonishment. “Mum would never let us hear the end of it!”

“The question isn’t who is going to let me,” Harry said, already climbing into the driver’s seat and making an informed, personal decision about whether or not he chose to wear a seatbelt, “it’s who is going to stop me.”

presumably someone kills and chops up hermione at some point

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
the problem with these ayn rand harry potter things is there are so many where the real punchline is right at the start. for example

“Actually,” said Harry, pocketing his e-cigarette,

edit

“She deserved it,” Harry said, with a preternatural calmness. “Make no mistake, this was an essentially generous act. To have allowed her to continue to insult me would have been an act of self-genocide. She deserved what she got. You keep away from me.” He fumbled behind him for the latch on the door.

“I’m going,” Harry said. “I want to be an architect.”

Uncle Vernon was purple with fury, but said nothing.

“I’m going to build a building so tall you’ll break your neck if you try to make eye contact with me,” Harry said, and then he was gone.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Heath posted:

I feel my statement speaks for itself

Agreed. Doesn't seem very 'alt-right' at all?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
shut the gently caress up immortan

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Literally The Worst posted:

shut the gently caress up immortan

I don't think Dylann Roof was a fan of black cock and pink dildos but what do I know?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The problem is that all these parodies are far more subtle, nuanced, and less about the voice of the author than Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Immortan posted:

I don't think Dylann Roof was a fan of black cock and pink dildos but what do I know?

Oh he totally was, the only way to get a hate boner for blacks on the level he had is to secretly want their actual boners on an even higher level.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
New DE roleplay: hyperactive fangirl who ships Elliot Rodger and Dylann Roof, as well as Nick Land and Mike Anissimov

Though that might just be HBD Chick, I'm not sure

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I've never actually paid much attention to Immortan in the past and I'm bored right now so I took a quick look at his post history and I'm sure glad I did because that poo poo's golden

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Oh he totally was, the only way to get a hate boner for blacks on the level he had is to secretly want their actual boners on an even higher level.

So he went to prison to become familiar with black boners?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/GabrielDuquette/status/738757536938135552

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

What does that even mean?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/literalbanana/status/738757655041212416

This is a sophisticated rationalist technique known as "Oh yeah, let's see YOU do better"

Also known as the Uwe Boll defense

Curvature of Earth posted:

What does that even mean?
We should be doing a serious, in-good faith, exhaustive refutation of the dark enlightenment and post-rationalist, but we can't, so instead we're just sneering while knowing we can't do better.

Standard anger that other people have heuristics for what is and isn't worth spending time arguing against, as if Gabe or St_Rev spend all their time arguing against time cube theorists, postmodernists, hindu nationalists, and all the other people who are safely out of the LW Overton Window.

The Vosgian Beast has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Jun 3, 2016

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
So, wait, sneer culture is other people laughing at the alt-right? Whereas the alt-right laughing at "cultural marxism" and other things that don't exist isn't sneer culture because

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

pookel posted:

So, wait, sneer culture is other people laughing at the alt-right? Whereas the alt-right laughing at "cultural marxism" and other things that don't exist isn't sneer culture because

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPMOR/comments/2n3yh5/what_is_it_with_dark_lord_potter_and_hpmor/cmad6x3?context=3

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/GabrielDuquette/status/738818546835292160

Some serious salt being generated here

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

pookel posted:

The 'alt-right' doesn't exist either. It's a bogus talking point just like 'cultural marxism'.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Immortan posted:

The 'alt-right' doesn't exist either. It's a bogus talking point just like 'cultural marxism'.

Dyke Feminists are everywhere pushing to raise the “age of consent” from whatever it is to 18, or even 21. If you you’re a 24 year old (heterosexual white) male and have sex with your 17 year old girlfriend, they’ll call you a “rapist” and throw you in jail, where you’ll actually be raped by friend of the familys and fart cum every day for a decade.

No worries though: our brave MRA defenders (faggots) will make sure that the law applies EQUALLY to 24 year old women who sleep with 17 year old men. That will show those Feminists! I’m sure the Feminists are very terrified of such a development & it certainly wasn’t their plan all along as part of their “agender agenda”.

human being pedophiles and friend of the familys and Mohammedans can still violate your kids, though. That’s Progress. But having heterosexual normal sex with your wife will be outlawed by these witches, so you better hope trannies don’t all decide unanimously to sew their anuses, because tranny anuses are soon going to be the only legal sexual outlet for heterosexual white males. Because some women have cock and balls, bigot.

Gas the dykes, clitoral war now.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
They missed an opportunity by not using the phrase "Clitoral Marxists".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

"Clitoral War" would make a good death metal song title.