Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is a mute point now anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

What if I'm a homeowner and a stupid peace of poo poo?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We all know you're not a homeowner.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I am but it's in Naenae, so it barely counts. If you want someone stabbed or beaten to death tho, I can put you in touch with my neighbours.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I think being a homoner really begs the question; how much if a peace of poo poo can you really be if you have enough money for a home?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

mirthdefect posted:

I am but it's in Naenae, so it barely counts. If you want someone stabbed or beaten to death tho, I can put you in touch with my neighbours.

I owned a home in Tata but the neighbours kept burgling us, and they stole our pizza from a newbie delivery boy which was the last straw - we sold up and hosed off.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

klen dool posted:

I think being a homoner really begs the question; how much if a peace of poo poo can you really be if you have enough money for a home?
no homoner

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Topical pencilsword: http://thewireless.co.nz/articles/the-pencilsword-rent-rage

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I bought a house like 2 years ago and it's accrued like $60000 capital gain in that time, while I've been getting taxed LESS for owning it. And that's in Wellington, not Auckland. Totes fair!

In other news the Australian govt is refusing to nominate K Rudd to UN Secretary General. Not the Helen Clark has a great shot after the last straw poll, but this will help.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Tax credits and interest free student loans for the 3rd world

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

fong posted:

In other news the Australian govt is refusing to nominate K Rudd to UN Secretary General. Not the Helen Clark has a great shot after the last straw poll, but this will help.

He would never have had a chance anyway. Nobody actually likes Kevin Rudd and i'm not surprised - the man cant even do a single pull-up.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
update from over yonder:

have a T-shirt from NOM*D in Dunedin thats black with a large black-matte print saying "DONT SHOOT" on it. It was produced a few years ago and had no reference to BLM at its creation. Its a great shirt but I keep wearing it forgetting that it could be assumed as some kind of political statement and Americans are the kind of people to basically hit you up about something implicit/assumed like that. Because I live in midtown Atlanta though this has been pretty much uniformly positive particularly at my sketchy local supermarket being complimented on the shirt by people hanging outside. An uncle of mine took the time to tell me seeing the shirt that evidence of the phrase 'hands up dont shoot' was questionable csb I know I know

I began retaining in web development with a pricy but quality course and its only the second week in and my brain is melting quite a bit learning javascript.

Just pretty much a few days into this course, I received the first crack in the wall from a Professor at a law school here who is willing to help produce some documentation to allow me to petition to file for the bar exam (I'd still have to pass it...). If I am successful (or even if not) its going to be an interesting evaluative report on how seriously they will take a New Zealand LLB in this jurisdiction. I may be the first New Zealander attempting to undergo this process in ever in Georgia for all I am aware.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

What's an LLB?

America is a weird place, I've only been to Hawaii so maybe that is weirder in different ways....

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's a bachelors in law.

If you need to bounce javascript off anybody, I ham fist it every couple of months at work.

I've been to a couple of states and each one has been weird as gently caress in their own little way.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

It's cool that Fairfax made their subeditors redundant. Don't even think about what else they might have scrimped on. It's not even a problem.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

slinkimalinki posted:

It's cool that Fairfax made their subeditors redundant. Don't even think about what else they might have scrimped on. It's not even a problem.

Does stuff even do editing before they put articles up? Usually they seem to be first drafts that haven't even been proofread/fact checked.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Does stuff even do editing before they put articles up? Usually they seem to be first drafts that haven't even been proofread/fact checked.

I went on a date once with a dude who moderated comments on Stuff, so they do that too if you can believe it

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The Schwa posted:

I went on a date once with a dude who moderated comments on Stuff, so they do that too if you can believe it

Yeah, but were they actually doing that as a job?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Schwa posted:

I can't even imagine doing that for a job, was he a broken shell of a human being because I think I would be after about 20 minutes of that

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

I can't even imagine doing that for a job, was he a broken shell of a human being because I think I would be after about 20 minutes of that

He was American so take that as you will

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Wafflecopper posted:

Do human beings who aren't broken shells go on dates with goons?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
No :(

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

The Schwa posted:

He was American so take that as you will

Yeah, I can read the freep thread all day and just laugh but looking at a couple of the tweets from the stuff comments Twitter makes me feel sad for us.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
https://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/32211341/david-bain-compensation-claim-rejected-but-hell-get-925k-ex-gratia-payment/#page1

"Sorry brah, 13 years isn't long enough in prison to get compensation"

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
innocent, but not innocent innocent. you know.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The lawyer fella in this thread will chime in soon I'm sure but acquitted=/=innocent in a legal sense.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

He knows what he did.

[Could be gently caress all]

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

He was never proven innocent - he was only proven not guilty.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Do human beings who aren't broken shells go on dates with goons?

wow rude

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

He was never proven innocent - he was only proven not guilty.

yeah "not proven guilty (therefore Not Guilty)" is not the same thing as "proven innocent"

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Whether David Bain did it or not is irrelevant, he was acquitted after appeals and had served time. Ergo, he was wrongfully imprisoned.
Compensation having to be paid is to encourage the Police/Courts/Justice system to not gently caress things up and do their loving job properly before depriving someone of their liberty.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Let's face it, Bain may well have done it so he's lucky to get that much.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'unno, he sounded pretty loving cut up when he phoned the police.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Chalupa Joe posted:

Whether David Bain did it or not is irrelevant, he was acquitted after appeals and had served time. Ergo, he was wrongfully imprisoned.
Compensation having to be paid is to encourage the Police/Courts/Justice system to not gently caress things up and do their loving job properly before depriving someone of their liberty.
I agree, but one of the hosed up wrinkles of our system is that the government has written the law so that you aren't eligible for compensation just because you were wrongfully imprisoned - you have to prove you were innocent to the same standards you were proved guilty (beyond doubt). The obvious intention is because sometimes the system doesn't gently caress up but the wrong person still goes to jail, and rather than foot the bill for this grey area the government decided to gently caress the poor bastards because if it didn't then we'd quickly slide into communism as society at large might start demanding the government fix inefficiencies in systems it can't privatise.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On the flip side it's a way of ensuring someone doesn't both get away with murder and get millions in compensation for their lost time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The other way is holding the justice system accountable so as not to encourage an environment that's more than happy to 'expedite' someone's trip to the slammer through a cooked trial that will later be found to not meet the minimum requirements for a guilty verdict.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

WarpedNaba posted:

I'unno, he sounded pretty loving cut up when he phoned the police.

Because he had just shot his dad in the head

Or he didn't

Either way it is a loving tragic story

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Shooting your father in the head and then immediately contacting the police seem somewhat... disconnected.

But he's one of them fucken spastics bro. Musta dunnit, eh? Dem Skits-o-fren-ix are munted cunts.

(Not an attack on you, just to clarify)

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I just don't like how the govt went to more than one judge to review the case because they didn't agree with the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

I just don't like how the govt went to more than one judge to review the case because they didn't agree with the first one.

That's a oval office move definitely. And depressingly in line with their usual pattern if doing poo poo.

• Locked thread