Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Every single person in this thread could probably write their own 5th edition VtM by winter of 2018. And should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

I am looking forward to this for none of the reasons they intended.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

I am looking forward to this for none of the reasons they intended.

Same. When will people learn not to leave things up to the internet at large?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kavak posted:

Same. When will people learn not to leave things up to the internet at large?

I can't imagine where you get the idea that unrestricted access from the peanut gallery is in any way a bad thing.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

I am also looking forward to the likely scenario where the malkavians outnumber all the other clans combined 2 to 1. And they're all fishmalks. Every last one of them.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Since everything is player driven, let me be the first to bow to our Lord and savior, Ravyn DarkShydyw and Lord Griffeth Blufwulf.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Soonmot posted:

Since everything is player driven, let me be the first to bow to our Lord and savior, Ravyn DarkShydyw and Lord Griffeth Blufwulf.
That's Prince Ravyn DarkShydyw to you. :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh my god it's full of stars.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I look forward to the newest Antediluvian, Fangy McFangFace

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
What I've heard has pretty much been covered, but my big gripes are less with players driving the metaplot (that's going to be a loving trainwreck, but hopefully a hilarious one) and more with them redefining and retooling concepts like the Camarilla and the Beast. To a degree it may be necessary these days, but it nonetheless makes me wary.

I also both dislike and like the new disciplines thing. On the one hand, it's neat and it makes sense, but it also breaks away large parts of the purpose of clans and boons. It also means most Gangrel are going to develop obfuscate if that example is anything to go by - few clans spend more time as social outcasts or trying not to be seen than the gangrel do - and there's all kinds of balance issues that are going to result from that and things like a toreador learning in-clan potence by spending a few years in night-time MMA matches.

EDIT:
It occurs to me that the project should be finished (well, the oWod stage. I'm not sure I have it in me to do a nWoD one as well.) by 2018, and new-White Wolf is going to put together a setting bible to give out to all licensees. If I manage to finalized it in due time, it might actually dovetail very nicely with their timeframe - an encyclopedic database of all major events, known septs, principalities, etc more comprehensive and easier to use than any currently available other than internal documents we aren't privy to, sortable by source, timeframe, geographical location, etc. Exactly the sort of thing that's great to tack onto a setting bible to avoid inconsistencies. Need to know if declaring someone Prince of Exeter is going to clash (and if it does, is it a big clash that needs a note of explanation text or a one-note mention from a 1993 text?) Just check the database.

It's still probably not going to happen, but the possibility of it actually being picked up is higher now with nWW's new priorities of a setting bible and a planned growing welcome to fan-produced work.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 5, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"Humans are people and matter, so go seek out that one special snowflake that gives you dots of Potence so that someone else can kill him and make all those experience points you spent worthless."

I can see no way in which this works, like, at all. For a LARP exclusively, maybe. but asking for LARP/Tabletop interaction from a metaplot perspective is ludicrous.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 5, 2016

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
One suggestion about it that I liked was that your herd will inform your disciplines not just in terms of gaining them, but in maintaining them. So if you want to keep up your obfuscate or your potence or your protean, you have to eat the appropriate people. It's still not really what I want to see in VtM - as a variant rule maybe, but not core - but as a possibility it's interesting. You'd have to redesign the game ground up around it though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Exactly, it completely changes the kind of game that Vampire is. I really didn't see the sideways swerve from glorious highborne manchildren to Pikmin coming.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So... okay. If players are driving the metaplot, do we just kind of assume then that LARP is the main format? Because that's the only universal format.

If that's the case, I expect the metaplot to mostly be convoluted and piss boring. Because while Vampire can be very fun to play in a LARP, retelling the stories tends to lose something in translation and usually comes down to "and then we killed everyone" or "I somehow ended up holding the ball when everybody else quit." Basically what I'm saying is that writing anything by taking cliff notes from a LARP is a great way to end up with a cringy and frankly dull story.

EDIT: Also what will that even look like? Vampire driven entirely by Instagram and Twitter? I have some predictions about that and it's ugly guys. It's real ugly.

EDIT EDIT: Also also - 5th is starting to sound more and more like the fanfiction edition, with changes to the Beast and the Cam and other core concepts. So why would I play their version of White Wolf's winning formula when Requiem is right there?

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 5, 2016

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
My hope is it's more 'metaplot will no longer be Jan Pieterzoon taking everyone for a drive while ignoring their suggestions' and less 'I, Dracula LARPer, am now literally the Dracula'

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mendrian posted:

EDIT EDIT: Also also - 5th is starting to sound more and more like the fanfiction edition, with changes to the Beast and the Cam and other core concepts. So why would I play their version of White Wolf's winning formula when Requiem is right there?

Yeah, this is really confusing me. I thought they went with Masquerade for nostalgia pandering, but they're throwing most of that out with this. Who does this appeal to besides them and people more into LARPing than any specific game? The oWoD diehards are probably going to be put off by the gameplay and setting changes, and the nWoD fans are just going to stick with 2nd edition.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Given that "transmedia" is listed twice in the internal docs (were those internal docs?) I'm guessing they got snowed by the silicon valley cult of social media transformation. Lots of kids have probably had the idea that the way to take LARP to the next level is to connect it so that the vamps who gather in public parks after school can know what's going on at the public parks in the next town, and then your Cam / Anarch battles matter in the grand scheme of things! Because you know the kids in Albuquerque are just champing at the bit to incorporate last week's Santa Fe drama into their next session.

So basically what I think they envision is something like EVE and how its masses of relatively uncoordinated players created a continuous metafiction out of nothing, but in real space rather than a virtual one. It's ironic given their history with CCP. And not especially smart given that EVE's metafiction is only interesting in the broad strokes, the actual details kind of ruin the illusion of it all. It's not Dune or Battlestar, it's griefers and weekend warriors calling each other slurs.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

But more to the point I just picture long-term LARP to be something like the weird RP message boards based on A Song of Ice And Fire (not Game of Thrones, they'll insist), where every poster is a member of a great house but all the fiction they create is fundamentally different from the source material, there's no mystery or suspense or irrevocable violence, it's just "court intrigue", which translates exactly into "hanging out in a chat room, describing feasts and parties you're throwing, and talking poo poo behind each other's backs"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Transmedia" is inexorably linked with Gareth-Michael Skarka's Far West in my mind, so I can't take anyone who uses it even a little bit seriously.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

All I know is that I am trying to decide what anime to badly shop fangs onto for my upcoming viichan RP Twitter's avatar.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The first iteration of any given Paradox Interactive product is usually not worth playing, so I look forward to their vampire game after several rounds of patches and expansions.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I mean the only coherent way I see this working is a message board where regional LARPs can upload their meeting minutes and some poor intern has to collate them all and make it presentable. But more or less immediately you'll have regions that don't report in because an IRL breakup happened during the Buffalo sesh and killed it, or everybody in San Diego got killed by a nuke because they were just having fun doing ludicrous poo poo and not taking into consideration that they're all collaborators on a grand project.

After a few weeks it'll be clear that people liked metaplot on a conceptual level but rarely based their games around it, the whole thing will collapse and Scandinavian Dracula will go home with his dragon tail tucked between his legs to hire pro writers and bring things back to the old ways.

Really though, this is a return to oWoD form in one way: Mary Sues and Marty Stus, miles wide and fathoms deep, as far as the eye can see.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 5, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

All I know is that I am trying to decide what anime to badly shop fangs onto for my upcoming viichan RP Twitter's avatar.

The obvious choice is an anime that is already a vampire, just now with big novelty fangs.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
BRB, writing a sheet for the Prince of my Home Town so I can skype call in every other game and just yell poo poo at people because 'what are you gonna do, fly downunder and fight me?'

And then the Prince of my Home Town will go down in canon as an aggressive computer-face, and all will be as it should be. Transmedia, bitch!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Loomer posted:

BRB, writing a sheet for the Prince of my Home Town so I can skype call in every other game and just yell poo poo at people because 'what are you gonna do, fly downunder and fight me?'

And then the Prince of my Home Town will go down in canon as an aggressive computer-face, and all will be as it should be. Transmedia, bitch!

I will fly down there and throw nerf balls at you to signify my attack.

And no, I have no idea how MET is actually played.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
This is how One World By Night and the Mind's Eye Society work. Or don't. The MES is basically a pbem with a vestigial LARP attached.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you have a bunch of time and money to spend flying to conventions and driving around to other games every Saturday and being active on the mailing lists, you can be a real player in the MES. Otherwise hope those players don't take too close an interest in your local game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also, git gud at Rock Paper Scissors.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I feel like, to get the most accurate experience, I need to somehow have an emotional and sexual affair with someone's wife as ScreamPrince McComputerface that starts as 'oh it's just IC honey' and winds up full of weird fat sweaty sex. How accurate an impression of VtM/CtD LARPing is that?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wife?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
...Yeah, good point.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

If you have a bunch of time and money to spend flying to conventions and driving around to other games every Saturday and being active on the mailing lists, you can be a real player in the MES. Otherwise hope those players don't take too close an interest in your local game.

But this is my point. The "game" those people play is quite enjoyable to them, but tedious to anyone who is listening to their stories - sort of like listening to someone recall a particularly rousing game of Risk. And it's also, from a narrative perspective, dumb as hell. I met a completely socially broken person once who claimed to be the Prince of an entire US state, the Sheriff of a major city, the highest ranking Gangrel in an entire region... and all he did was sit around Elysium all night checking people for Diablerie and 'waiting for plot', as he put it.

Real narratives have conflict and character development. LARPs are exciting because it's you against the world; you can take as much as you can get away with and bargain for, and it's fun, but it's not coherent at all from anyone else's point of view.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
On an unrelated note, I started up on Apocalypse - the end times stuff is always my favourite so it goes fast. The first chapter is, as always, 'common' to all scenarios and in this case is specified as being more or less officially how it goes down, which means this is a default option for every scenario.

That default option is, as a sign of the end, every single volcano on earth exploding. It isn't specific to all be at once, but it's implied to happen in fairly short order. I'm not going to go into too much detail because there's no point because if that happens, everyone loving dies. The sun gets blotted out for years, temperatures plummet, massive amounts of infrastructure basically vanish, acid rain and toxic ash coat the world. Then it heats up, and anyone who isn't already dead dies. And then everything but the most robust and simple life dies.

So that's a wrap on Apocalypse, I guess, since it's hard to beat a warning sign that literally kills every single thing on the planet. More seriously, they do say some of the events may not suit subtler games but that one precludes even the most extreme endgame option and I'm still going to do a write-up, but we can sub in a Tier 3 for all of them if that sign goes off as written.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Mendrian posted:

But this is my point. The "game" those people play is quite enjoyable to them, but tedious to anyone who is listening to their stories - sort of like listening to someone recall a particularly rousing game of Risk. And it's also, from a narrative perspective, dumb as hell. I met a completely socially broken person once who claimed to be the Prince of an entire US state, the Sheriff of a major city, the highest ranking Gangrel in an entire region... and all he did was sit around Elysium all night checking people for Diablerie and 'waiting for plot', as he put it.

Real narratives have conflict and character development. LARPs are exciting because it's you against the world; you can take as much as you can get away with and bargain for, and it's fun, but it's not coherent at all from anyone else's point of view.

LARP stories are fun when, and only when, they are recounted with a degree of separation from what usually happens in a LARP and you're describing the highlights, and not the reams of dead air or plot points that went nowhere or confusing and ultimately pointless side-stories.

So, basically the same as 99% of tradgame stories.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

An app lime Pokemon GO, except it's people to drink to gain Disciplines.

"Oh man, I just got a Thaumaturgy! Aww gently caress, Path of Oneiromancy."

Loomer posted:

On an unrelated note, I started up on Apocalypse - the end times stuff is always my favourite so it goes fast. The first chapter is, as always, 'common' to all scenarios and in this case is specified as being more or less officially how it goes down, which means this is a default option for every scenario.

That default option is, as a sign of the end, every single volcano on earth exploding. It isn't specific to all be at once, but it's implied to happen in fairly short order. I'm not going to go into too much detail because there's no point because if that happens, everyone loving dies. The sun gets blotted out for years, temperatures plummet, massive amounts of infrastructure basically vanish, acid rain and toxic ash coat the world. Then it heats up, and anyone who isn't already dead dies. And then everything but the most robust and simple life dies.

So that's a wrap on Apocalypse, I guess, since it's hard to beat a warning sign that literally kills every single thing on the planet. More seriously, they do say some of the events may not suit subtler games but that one precludes even the most extreme endgame option and I'm still going to do a write-up, but we can sub in a Tier 3 for all of them if that sign goes off as written.

I thought that was the Red Talon's master plan, not a sign of the end times.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

MonsieurChoc posted:

An app lime Pokemon GO, except it's people to drink to gain Disciplines.

"Look, there's a Sascha Vykos over by the 7-11, let's catch it... Oh poo poo, it's the Eternal Hearts version. Run!"

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I respect them for having a whole bunch of money and deciding to burn it all in the most Pyrrhic geek out in history. Live the dream, you misguided fools.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

You could always do the obvious thing and join the legion of Dios.

On a side note, I could just see the whole mess devolving to straight up SS13 levels. Push down the brujah elder and fart on them.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Cabbit posted:

I respect them for having a whole bunch of money and deciding to burn it all in the most Pyrrhic geek out in history. Live the dream, you misguided fools.

I didn't expect Paradox to make terrible, geeky business decision after they became publicly traded.

I just want my Crusader Kings Vampire DLC already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

You could always do the obvious thing and join the legion of Dios.

Finally, a reason for the True Brujah to exist.

Also the Salubri being taken from 3X3 Eyes.