Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The dependent variable is most likely ordinal, but they're fitting a linear regression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Platystemon posted:

Is this loss?

Yeah, loss of confidence.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

AFewBricksShy posted:

In that vein, I agree with the idea of using fahrenheit for weather related temperatures only.
For science and such, metric is so much better it's not even an argument, but for weather, fahrenheit is perfect.

<0 = it loving sucks outside
0-10 = it's really loving cold
10-20 = it's loving cold
20-30 = it's cold
30-40 = cold but not awful
40-50 = chilly
50-60 = nice
60-70 = perfect
70-80 = it's getting hot
80-90 = it's hot
90-100 = it's really loving hot
>100 = it loving sucks outside.

Man do you think people who use Celsius look at the temperature and go, "Hm 13 degrees. What the gently caress is that?" Because I see people use your argument a lot and it's hella dumb

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Man do you think people who use Celsius look at the temperature and go, "Hm 13 degrees. What the gently caress is that?" Because I see people use your argument a lot and it's hella dumb

No, my point is that fahrenheit has a larger scale of temperatures, and the values from 0-100 are ideally suited for the weather conditions that humans live in.
It is similar to time. We don't say that something is going to happen in a kilosecond, we say it is going to happen in 15 minutes. We've accepted that a non base-10 system is acceptable for time. I am saying that a non base-10 system for weather temperatures (again, that's the only time F is better than C) makes absolutely perfect sense. Someone who grew up with C will obviously have no issues, but as someone who grew up using the imperial system, using the Fahrenheit scale for weather temperature is the only one that I can even remotely justify.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

AFewBricksShy posted:

We don't say that something is going to happen in a kilosecond, we say it is going to happen in 15 minutes.

This is because we are cowards, op. 100 seconds to a minute, 100 minutes to an hour, 10 hours to a day, like Reason and the Revolution intended.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

No, my point is that fahrenheit has a larger scale of temperatures, and the values from 0-100 are ideally suited for the weather conditions that humans live in.
It is similar to time. We don't say that something is going to happen in a kilosecond, we say it is going to happen in 15 minutes. We've accepted that a non base-10 system is acceptable for time. I am saying that a non base-10 system for weather temperatures (again, that's the only time F is better than C) makes absolutely perfect sense. Someone who grew up with C will obviously have no issues, but as someone who grew up using the imperial system, using the Fahrenheit scale for weather temperature is the only one that I can even remotely justify.

What? because time is not decimal we should use some backwards idiotic temperature system? This 'argument' for using fahrenheit is still hella dumb.

Like jesus christ we use temperature for more than how hot it is outside. Oh some boiling water, guess that's 212 degree, yes this is fine, oh some ice 32 degrees obviously. Cling to your insane loving system because you like your freedom units or whatever but don't try to justify it as a good idea that's somehow more useful.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Goon Danton posted:

This is because we are cowards, op. 100 seconds to a minute, 100 minutes to an hour, 10 hours to a day, like Reason and the Revolution intended.

post/av combo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Aramoro posted:

What? because time is not decimal we should use some backwards idiotic temperature system? This 'argument' for using fahrenheit is still hella dumb.

Like jesus christ we use temperature for more than how hot it is outside. Oh some boiling water, guess that's 212 degree, yes this is fine, oh some ice 32 degrees obviously. Cling to your insane loving system because you like your freedom units or whatever but don't try to justify it as a good idea that's somehow more useful.

you must have gotten to 34 degrees because this is a nice meltdown

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Aramoro posted:

Holy poo poo, you're absolutely right. I probably should have said something like

AFewBricksShy posted:

In that vein, I agree with the idea of using fahrenheit for weather related temperatures only.
For science and such, metric is so much better it's not even an argument, but for weather, fahrenheit is perfect.

..in my original post.

Captain Foo posted:

you must have gotten to 34 degrees because this is a nice meltdown

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 17:04 on May 31, 2019

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

Holy poo poo, you're absolutely right. I probably should have said something like

..in my original post.

Is your oven weather or science?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

AFewBricksShy posted:

You cannot tell the difference between 73 and 74 degrees Fahrenheit, which is roughly the same difference as one half degree Celsius. Sun/shade, wind, and humidity all affect how you feel temperature to a larger degree than 0.5 C. And if you really do care, just use a digital thermometer with a hundred decimal places like some kind of obsessive temperature freak.

Regardless, it takes like half a minute to learn a quick conversion that works good enough and you can do in your head for the one week that tops that it takes to get used to the other system: F->C is subtract 30, divide by 2, and C->F is multiply by 2, add 30, this is precise enough for anything but a science paper or trying to freeze/boil water. If the number you get is weird, you hosed up the order and can just retry until it makes sense.

Ugh. :rant:

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 17:10 on May 31, 2019

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Aramoro posted:

Cooking will use Kelvin

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Aramoro posted:

I'd say C would be better for an oven, I've never cooked anything using a temperature that wasn't evenly divisible by 5, so the larger range of temperatures in the F scale wouldn't really matter. Same goes for a fridge.

I'm not trying to change the entire world over to F to measure weather, I'm just saying it's the only imperial measurement that can be justified in any way.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 17:13 on May 31, 2019

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'd say C would be better for an oven, I've never cooked anything using a temperature that wasn't evenly divisible by 5, so the larger range of temperatures in the F scale wouldn't really matter. Same goes for a fridge.

I'm not trying to change the entire world over to F to measure weather, I'm just saying it's the only imperial measurement that can be justified in any way.

So far your only justification is "I grew up with it", which is debatably toilet paper-worthy.

Teavian
Oct 9, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Yes, there is a half-circle between water's freezing and boiling points.

If you want to be all in on SI units, use radians, cowards. :colbert:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The virgin metric system is for loser babies who can't carry more than a single mathematical function in their brains at once. The chad imperial system is for deeply wrinkled brain geniouses who effortlessly navigate the Sefirot of measurements, through which Ein Sof (The Infinite) reveals Itself and continuously creates both the physical realm and the chain of higher metaphysical realms.

In other words,

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So far your only justification is "I grew up with it", which is debatably toilet paper-worthy.

My entire stupid country is the only one that still uses the imperial system pretty much because the 2 generations before mine said "I grew up with it" so I really have no good argument here.
Again, for the tenth time, I'm just saying it's the only imperial measurement that even remotely makes sense to me, and that it's the only one that I can see as possibly being better suited to a very specific set of data than metric could, and yes, I think that because I grew up using it. You are some touchy motherfuckers.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 18:03 on May 31, 2019

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
if a plane was traveling forward in miles per hour but its forward momentum was being counteracted by a treadmill underneath that was moving in kilometers per hour, would the plane take off?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Everyone should use the same units so we wouldn't have this dreadful discussion every few months.

Now post some graphs!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kennel posted:

Now post some graphs!

OK!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I applaud the skill of whichever data vis employee was told to make this, because it's clearly something that was at some stage going to be a graph, but they realised the issues with that in time to make it into a diagram instead.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

AFewBricksShy posted:

<0 = it loving sucks outside
0-10 = it's really loving cold
10-20 = it's loving cold
20-30 = it's cold
30-40 = cold but not awful
40-50 = chilly
50-60 = nice
60-70 = perfect
70-80 = it's getting hot
80-90 = it's hot
90-100 = it's really loving hot
>100 = it loving sucks outside.

Right. For weather, Fahrenheit offers ~120 degrees of variation, depending on where you live. Celsius offers at best half that. Therefore, Fahrenheit allows a more detailed, nuance description of weather.

mehall posted:

If I say "My dad's birthday is on the 6th", you're going to assume from context that it's the next 6th to occur.
I only need to provide more information if more information is relevant.

Whereas if I tell you "Hey, let's have dinner, hows June?" you're gonna need me to narrow that down a bit.

Yeah but neither of these are relevant cases where someone would be saying the whole date. If you're giving only one data point, obviously the day is sufficient. If you're giving two, then giving the month first gives instant context.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Mods can we please probate anyone who posts about imperial vs metric or date formats after this post?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Mods can we please probate anyone who posts about date formats or imperial vs metric

Rearranged sentence structure so it goes from smallest -> largest concept, in accordance with ISO 42.069

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Celsius is perfect for Scandinavians. Around 0° outside? Time to go into the sauna! Around 100° in the sauna? Time to go outside!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Celsius is perfect for Scandinavians. Around 0° outside? Time to go into the sauna! Around 100° in the sauna? Time to go outside!

-40? Time to go home and drink! -20? Time to go home and drink! 0? Time to go home and drink! +20? Time to go home and drink! -+40? OK so I am hallucinating, time to cool down and drink!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Queen Combat posted:

42.069 -> accordance concept, from goes in ISO it largest rearranged sentence smallest so structure with.

Alphabetical order, please.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Trabant posted:

Alphabetical order, please.

about how no

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Sentences logically ordered largest should first word yes, be by. Important shorter always words less are.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Let's have an ounce less imperial/metric chat.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Der Kyhe posted:

-40? Time to go home and drink! -20? Time to go home and drink! 0? Time to go home and drink! +20? Time to go home and drink! -+40? OK so I am hallucinating, time to cool down and drink!

-40 is the same in both systems.

:goonsay:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Edit: whoops this image is too small and I don't know why

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Angepain posted:

Sentences logically ordered largest should first word yes, be by. Important shorter always words less are.

This is a good rule, and Yoda is fully aware of it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Let's have an ounce less imperial/metric chat.

"High support" :birdthunk:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

AFewBricksShy posted:

Yeah well knowing the freezing point of water is a lot more important where will live than your bellend of a scale

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
"I know imperial better, therefore imperial is better."

That's literally your argument you slack-jawed balloon animal.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The blistering rage over Fahrenheit is pretty hilarious. I like the one who's so mad they've decided Fahrenheit doesn't tell you what the freezing point of water is.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

why don't we compromise and use rankine instead?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

aardvaard posted:

why don't we compromise and use rankine instead?

This is one of those "compromises" that just makes everyone involved even angrier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Content:

Only registered members can see post attachments!