Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

The Phoenix pack isn't a bad value if you're looking at it from a shards = crystals standpoint. The ship pack is hot garbage though. Phoenix has 16,500 crystals worth of shards alone in it, and while it takes more shards past 4-star, that doesn't diminish the value of the shards.

The reinforcement pack is laughable though. A lot of the value in bundles is that you can use the ships out of the gate, and the command shuttle and falcon don't even unlock with purchase.

The value of $100 not spent on a mobile game is left as an exercise for the reader.

any shop farmable toon is a bad value when bought with cash money, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

But I don't have a 6 star home one because what possible reason have i been given to have farmed one of those? Or that other one with the useless pilot and the annoying buff.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cactus posted:

But I don't have a 6 star home one because what possible reason have i been given to have farmed one of those? Or that other one with the useless pilot and the annoying buff.

CG must be making so much money that they are running out of things to give their employees to work on.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 6, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I recognize I'm not carrying TB for the whole guild on either of my lovely accounts but I have some things to point out:

• Make an account at https://swgoh.gg and sync it to your ingame account. This is so guild leaders can determine the strategy for each phase.
  • Read the guild MOTD to see where they want deployments at the moment
  • If there's no instructions, at the very least, check the GP needed in both territories and focus on the territory where we are closest to another star
  • The deployment screen updates the GP in a territory as you select characters, so you can actually see when a territory is going to flip to the next star

Just to point out, we missed out on a star in SM because we over-deployed in the middle territory. We finished the phase at 42/78 million in the middle territory but only 13 million GP short in the bottom territory. All 42 million GP that we overshot by came this morning so we just misplayed our hand.

Also, I wonder how many people are throwing precious resources at the p4 HRSoldier Combat Mission not realizing there is no special reward, just the standard combat mission bonus?

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

tadashi posted:

I recognize I'm not carrying TB for the whole guild on either of my lovely accounts but I have some things to point out:

• Make an account at https://swgoh.gg and sync it to your ingame account. This is so guild leaders can determine the strategy for each phase.
  • Read the guild MOTD to see where they want deployments at the moment
  • If there's no instructions, at the very least, check the GP needed in both territories and focus on the territory where we are closest to another star
  • The deployment screen updates the GP in a territory as you select characters, so you can actually see when a territory is going to flip to the next star

Just to point out, we missed out on a star in SM because we over-deployed in the middle territory. We finished the phase at 42/78 million in the middle territory but only 13 million GP short in the bottom territory. All 42 million GP that we overshot by came this morning so we just misplayed our hand.

Also, I wonder how many people are throwing precious resources at the p4 HRSoldier Combat Mission not realizing there is no special reward, just the standard combat mission bonus?

There's no special reward, but I'm pretty sure even finishing only 2 waves of a combat mission gives more points than you would get simply deploying the characters

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DotyManX posted:

There's no special reward, but I'm pretty sure even finishing only 2 waves of a combat mission gives more points than you would get simply deploying the characters

Well sure, especially since using the characters in a combat mission also deploys them, right? Like, you get points for deploying the characters, AND then points for beating the waves? I'm almost positive this is how it works.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Confirmed. You can look at the territory and you see your deployment score from entering based on the toons you use and then a score for how far you get in the mission.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
This is 100% true, when doing combat, you get the deployment as well. The waves you complete are just a bonus. Also, you can deploy and afterwards assign platoons. Or the other way around, deployment still counts the points.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Got my Ezra from 20/100 to 70/100 in the last 2 days. So if this Thrawn event really does last a week, I should be good to go. Whew.

I don't even remember was I was farming for fun before this whole Thrawn/CLS mad dash stuff happened. I think maybe Clones? And Nihilus, maybe.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm in the same boat. Just about done with Ezra. Finished Hera a few days ago. Chopper still requires so many shards. I'll have to keep doing multiple refreshes per day just to get the cantina cash to buy him 3-4 times per day and hope to 7* him by the end of the event. What a waste. Even with the buff he still feels as useful as a garbage can.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Not sure why, but the universe seems to hate my Thrawn. Been using him off and on since last event, and I swear I could count the number of times he didn't die before his first turn on one hand. I've been gearing him up and all, but every time I put him out there the entire enemy team focuses him down without fail.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, Chopper is going to have to be my odd man out. I 7 starred Sabine ages ago because I just grabbed her shards from the Guild shop whenever I saw them, and Chopper is still at 15/100. Hopefully the squad will be good enough without him.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, Chopper is going to have to be my odd man out. I 7 starred Sabine ages ago because I just grabbed her shards from the Guild shop whenever I saw them, and Chopper is still at 15/100. Hopefully the squad will be good enough without him.

Choppers passive is how they heal themselves though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chilichimp posted:

Choppers passive is how they heal themselves though.

Yeah, it's not ideal, but I don't see getting Chopper to 7 in time.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
If the Thrawn event had come at end of October as it was assumed, I think I would have made it in time. Now with Kanan, Sabine and Chopper at 7*, Zeb at 35/100 and Hera at 2/100 I guess I'll just have to settle for 6* Thrawn. Oh well, not a big loss since I've enough Empire dudes to get R2 from 6* to 7* the next time he rolls around anyway. But still annoying as gently caress.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Canemacar posted:

Not sure why, but the universe seems to hate my Thrawn. Been using him off and on since last event, and I swear I could count the number of times he didn't die before his first turn on one hand. I've been gearing him up and all, but every time I put him out there the entire enemy team focuses him down without fail.

Thrawn is kinda fragile until you gear him up. By G10+ he's a wall.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

If the Thrawn event had come at end of October as it was assumed, I think I would have made it in time. Now with Kanan, Sabine and Chopper at 7*, Zeb at 35/100 and Hera at 2/100 I guess I'll just have to settle for 6* Thrawn. Oh well, not a big loss since I've enough Empire dudes to get R2 from 6* to 7* the next time he rolls around anyway. But still annoying as gently caress.

You can get Zeb to 7* in 4 days (1200 GW/day, 15 shards, 60 shards in 4 days.) If you don't finish GW every day, it's still 6.5 days at 800 GW currency. Totally doable with focus.

Hera is tougher, but at 2 refreshes per day, still should be only 6 days.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Got my Ezra from 20/100 to 70/100 in the last 2 days. So if this Thrawn event really does last a week, I should be good to go. Whew.

I don't even remember was I was farming for fun before this whole Thrawn/CLS mad dash stuff happened. I think maybe Clones? And Nihilus, maybe.

I had just started Gar Saxon and Shock Trooper, was going to head to Super Commando after Gar Saxon and Nihilus after Shock. Now I'm going to farm the poo poo out of Tie Reaper well past maxing Shock Trooper I'm sure, and it doesn't look like I'll ever be allowed to get my Gauntlet crew.

Also, gently caress this 7* cap ship BS. 15 shards means 7 months (if they're each monthly events) to get the cap ships maxxed, or 4800 crystals minimum. God damned if it isn't the most blatant cash grab they've done in a while (especially with starting it all the day after crystals were added to Fleet payouts).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

TheAnomaly posted:

I had just started Gar Saxon and Shock Trooper, was going to head to Super Commando after Gar Saxon and Nihilus after Shock. Now I'm going to farm the poo poo out of Tie Reaper well past maxing Shock Trooper I'm sure, and it doesn't look like I'll ever be allowed to get my Gauntlet crew.

Also, gently caress this 7* cap ship BS. 15 shards means 7 months (if they're each monthly events) to get the cap ships maxxed, or 4800 crystals minimum. God damned if it isn't the most blatant cash grab they've done in a while (especially with starting it all the day after crystals were added to Fleet payouts).

The event is going to run 3 times in the next ten days.

So, 3400 crystals gets you 7* next week.

(3 runs at 15 each + 3 800 crystal refreshes at 15 each, +1 10 shard pack.)

If you do that though, buy the pack first in case you RNG a big win, you don't need to refresh.

Given that Crystal income now is 900/day (and if you're not competing for first in fleet arena now, a 7* cap ship isn't gonna help you enough, IMO, but it can help you keep up if you are, so it matters less if you're not in that dogfight.), that doesn't seem too unreasonable.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Canemacar posted:

This is my GK. He is at G11 but rarely gets a turn.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I wrote a thing for people who feel reading war and peace is a more valuable use of their time than trying to read all of the Phoenix skill descriptions and thus just hit auto (y'all aren't wrong. Those skills have too many :words:) :

https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/74svye/phoenix_squad_101/

I can't be arsed to convert markdown to BBcode (this started same typing it all on discord to a friend and it ended up pretty comprehensive)
Here's the even shorter, super tl;dr version:

Use all of Ezra's specials as often as possible. Call zeb to assist from special 2. Use special 1 on taunters.
Have Hera call Zeb to assist with special 1 and put an auto-res buff on Kanan witn special 2.
Have Kanan taunt and cleanse an ally with special 1, Heal and cleanse himself with special 2.
Have Zeb target enemies that are debuffed with Daze/Stagger/Expose with his basic. Use special 1 against targets with no debuffs. Ignore special 2.
Use Chopper special 1 when poo poo hits fan. Use special 2 to clear taunts.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Im getting steamrolled by 7* Thrawn.

Ezra is GL10, Hera GL9, Zeb Kanan Chopper GL8.
All are lvl 80 with the Unique omega'd

Every time Thrawn attacks he oneshots one of my guys, i have literally never seen him not crit. (i have had 10 attempts at 7* so far)
My best run in all those attempts managed to kill the 2 death troopers with Ezras final attack (my other 4 were dead) and he promptly got killed by Thrawn.
I have no idea how someone did this with a GL7 Phoenix Squad.

I am guessing my slow speed is the problem, no one has over 180 speed and that is with speed secondaries on almost all slots. In 3 weeks of mod challenges at 300 crystals a day i have yet to see a single speed arrow, in fact i have only gotten 3 arrows in total, in ~10000 energy...

The fight starts with the Stormtrooper taunting and the 2 death troopers doing their AOE, meaning i get a bunch of counterattacks on a stormtrooper. If i could go first, with Ezra/Chopper and dispell that taunt i guess the score would be quite different.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ineptitude posted:

Im getting steamrolled by 7* Thrawn.

Ezra is GL10, Hera GL9, Zeb Kanan Chopper GL8.
All are lvl 80 with the Unique omega'd

Every time Thrawn attacks he oneshots one of my guys, i have literally never seen him not crit. (i have had 10 attempts at 7* so far)
My best run in all those attempts managed to kill the 2 death troopers with Ezras final attack (my other 4 were dead) and he promptly got killed by Thrawn.
I have no idea how someone did this with a GL7 Phoenix Squad.

I am guessing my slow speed is the problem, no one has over 180 speed and that is with speed secondaries on almost all slots. In 3 weeks of mod challenges at 300 crystals a day i have yet to see a single speed arrow, in fact i have only gotten 3 arrows in total, in ~10000 energy...

The fight starts with the Stormtrooper taunting and the 2 death troopers doing their AOE, meaning i get a bunch of counterattacks on a stormtrooper. If i could go first, with Ezra/Chopper and dispell that taunt i guess the score would be quite different.

Abuse non-attack specials to manipulate TM in round 3 to let Ezra or Hera start the final battle.

FWIW, I did it with less gear (but better mods) than you, but it did take about 20 or so attempts ofnpearning and adjusting and waiting for good RNG.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Crumbletron posted:

Thrawn is kinda fragile until you gear him up. By G10+ he's a wall.

to be fair, this is true of pretty much every character.

TheAnomaly posted:

Shock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock Trooper

Shock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock TrooperShock Trooper

it's uh... it's SHORE trooper, my dude.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CaptainPsyko posted:

The event is going to run 3 times in the next ten days.

So, 3400 crystals gets you 7* next week.

(3 runs at 15 each + 3 800 crystal refreshes at 15 each, +1 10 shard pack.)

If you do that though, buy the pack first in case you RNG a big win, you don't need to refresh.

Given that Crystal income now is 900/day (and if you're not competing for first in fleet arena now, a 7* cap ship isn't gonna help you enough, IMO, but it can help you keep up if you are, so it matters less if you're not in that dogfight.), that doesn't seem too unreasonable.

I'm gonna take this advice to the bank, I think. 7 starkin locked in place.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Chilichimp posted:

to be fair, this is true of pretty much every character.

it's uh... it's SHORE trooper, my dude.

I thought he wastalkin bout Deathtrooper. Shore makes more sense

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Which Phoenix omegas are a must have for Thrawn?

And can I sub in Sabine instead of zeb?

UmOk fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 7, 2017

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

UmOk posted:

Which Phoenix omegas are a must have for Thrawn?

And can I sub in Sabine instead of zeb?

Omegas in order of importance:

Zeb Unique, Kanan Unique, Chopper Unique, Ezra Unique, Hera Lead, Kanan Taunt, Ezra Special, Ezra Basic

The must have list ends at Kanan taunt IMO.

Subbing Sabine for Zeb is the ultimate hard mode. Zeb is MVP he is the king of CC and his unique is tons of protection regen.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

CaptainPsyko posted:

Abuse non-attack specials to manipulate TM in round 3 to let Ezra or Hera start the final battle.

FWIW, I did it with less gear (but better mods) than you, but it did take about 20 or so attempts ofnpearning and adjusting and waiting for good RNG.

Yeah this is what i am trying.

This is how more or less every attempt (~40 attempts) has gone:

Stormtrooper taunts
DT#1 does aoe and all my dudes attack the stormtrooper
DT#2 does aoe and all my dudes attack the stormtrooper
Now stormtrooper is at like 80% protection...
Thrawn kills someone and/or his fracture brings someone to 20%
Ezra dispells taunt on stormtrooper
Stormtrooper taunts again (what?)
DT#1 and #2 each kill a target each
Now i have 2 dudes left by the time i get to my second action in the fight.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah this is what i am trying.

This is how more or less every attempt (~40 attempts) has gone:

Stormtrooper taunts
DT#1 does aoe and all my dudes attack the stormtrooper
DT#2 does aoe and all my dudes attack the stormtrooper
Now stormtrooper is at like 80% protection...
Thrawn kills someone and/or his fracture brings someone to 20%
Ezra dispells taunt on stormtrooper
Stormtrooper taunts again (what?)
DT#1 and #2 each kill a target each
Now i have 2 dudes left by the time i get to my second action in the fight.

Give Zeb more potency. If he debuffs the Stormtrooper in those first two counter volleys, Thrawn will cleanse that and buy you some time before fracture to get backup plan on Kanan.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Thrawn's protection doesn't move. Is there some trick here like killing all the other dudes first?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
I just finished the Thrawn event. I benched Sabine, the rest were all G8 and level 85.

The thing that clinched it for me was speed. I put my best non-arena mods on everyone (including putting raid han's crit chance/damage set on Ezra) to get everyone's speed as high as I could. Kanan was slowest at 146, everyone else was in the 180s and 190s. Speed helps a lot because the more turns you get, the more times that the unique abilities proc to replenish health and protection.

I also focused on abilities that restored protection as much as possible. Ezra's watch and learn on Zeb/Kanan, Zeb's second special, and Kanan's second special were all basically on cooldown keeping people alive. Keeping everyone alive is secondary to taking down Thrawn's goons.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

As a recent 7* Thrawn haver, hang in there. I finally got a good set of RNG and managed to clear the last stage.
If you have 4 or so guys left with only Thrawn remaining it shouldn't be too hard, particularly if Zeb can chain stun him.
(Despite my Zeb having 66% Potency i didn't manage to stun Thrawn a single time, welp.)
As soon as his gigantic wall of protection is gone he drops fast, he has low health.

Even with the relatively speaking good RNG the fight only seemed "fair" as oposed to "easy".
It is a shame the legendary events are so RNG dependant, that takes some of the fun out of it imo.

I did end up splurging and using all the gear i had saved up to gear up my guys from G8 to G9. This has the added side effect of having taken me from 300ish arena rating to 100ish though, so i guess its all good.

Now to prepare for R2D2...

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 8, 2017

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
Phew, did it with all g8. No Ezra, all uniques omegaed.

Took me an hour of modding and 6 tries but i guess it was worth it not to spend mats on gearing them.

I didn't follow the guides that usually advise on speed speed speed on mods, went with the more logical approach of reinforcing the team's uniques with mods. Like Kanan lots of HP and Prot, Zeb potency and fuckloads of prot, etc. Toons stayed topped off with Chopper buffing everyone with prot up, healing from Kanan and prot from Zeb. I didn't even need that much DPS as they couldn't be killed.

Imo, survivability is #1 for this event, speed second, dps 3rd.

RNG is king so don't lose your poo poo. Just auto the first 3 waves with basic ability. If you lose a toon before the deathtroopers are down, or at least one, restart.

Take it easy and try to really min max the mods on your toons. After i completed it, the people in y guild tried it my way and a part from one dude that can't be arsed to move his mods around everyone that had their phoenix at g8, got Thrawn to 7*

Mister Blueberry fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 8, 2017

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
This post ^^ should be of particular use to RC Cola, who's struggling (100+ failed attempts). I assumed it was his lack of speed, but if you did it without good speed mods, maybe he can learn something.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I beat it on my first try after swapping chopper in for sabine with all g8. I will post my mods and poo poo in a sec

Chopper g8 221 speed health circle prot cross health triangle most mods at lvl12, all ability max except basic

Ezra g8 172 speed all ability max except flourish

Hera g8 162 speed only leader max

Zeb g8 153 speed only basic n unique max

Kanan g8 136 speed only unique max

Most had level 12 mods

Maybe i just got lucky. I focused deathtroopers then healers then st then thrawn

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 9, 2017

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I'm still trying. Everyone is G8 except Ezra. But he should make it by tomorrow.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

fishtobaskets posted:

This post ^^ should be of particular use to RC Cola, who's struggling (100+ failed attempts). I assumed it was his lack of speed, but if you did it without good speed mods, maybe he can learn something.

RC's bigger problem is no chopper.

Mal's advice was bad.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CaptainPsyko posted:

RC's bigger problem is no chopper.

Mal's advice was bad.

Mal gave advice not to bother starring up chopper? That's odd, he's been saying how chopper is important for the event, and I remember him saying it since the first time it came around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Chilichimp posted:

Mal gave advice not to bother starring up chopper? That's odd, he's been saying how chopper is important for the event, and I remember him saying it since the first time it came around.

Mal actively and loudly argued with me that Sabine was a better choice for the past 4 months.

Eventually we both got tired of the argument and shut up about it.