Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

there wolf posted:

They got shut down, so something wasn't legal. There was some deal with a local prison for day passes or an early release program... or maybe that was a different shady chicken plant.

This reminds me... there was some big thing a few years back (I think in Florida) where some sports team was employing convicts at their concessions stands. The issues were that not only were they contracting through some grifter employment agency that itself was paying the convicts something around minimum wage, but they were also doing things like sticking recovering alcoholics in the beer stands so they had to pour a few hundred beers per night.

Nothing coming up on google, oddly enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Regular Nintendo posted:

This reminds me... there was some big thing a few years back (I think in Florida) where some sports team was employing convicts at their concessions stands. The issues were that not only were they contracting through some grifter employment agency that itself was paying the convicts something around minimum wage, but they were also doing things like sticking recovering alcoholics in the beer stands so they had to pour a few hundred beers per night.

Nothing coming up on google, oddly enough

It was the Tampa Bay Bucs, and I believe it was mentally handicapped people from a group home, not cons.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

California pays prison inmates $1-$2 an hour to fight California's largest wildfire in it's history!
They're also exempt from worker's comp if they get hurt and can't get a firefighting job when they get out!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elizabeth Mills posted:

It was the Tampa Bay Bucs, and I believe it was mentally handicapped people from a group home, not cons.

Oh. Awesome

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That service was lovely, but if you are unbanked it was actually better for people than check cashing places. It was basically a lovely, but better than the current lovely options, way for unbanked people to get paid and have a debit card.

If you have a regular bank account, then there is no reason to ever do it.

That's not completely true... Check cashing places often have better service (i.e., tellers who speak the local ethnic group's language, open later at night, no minimums). Check cashing places also tend to have more predictable fees (albeit larger in the aggregate, but predictability may be more important to someone living check-to-check).

Amusing anecdote: I used to live in D.C. On my way to work, I'd literally walk past 4 different bank branches, 1 check cashing place, and 1 pawn shop. For years, I wondered how the latter two businesses survived, given that this area clearly wasn't a banking-desert.

gaj70 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 21, 2018

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The intersection next to one of my prior apartments had 5 check cashing places spread over the 4 corners.
Edit: It also had 3 liquor stores and one pawn shop, it was a busy intersection.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

FCKGW posted:

California pays prison inmates $1-$2 an hour to fight California's largest wildfire in it's history!
They're also exempt from worker's comp if they get hurt and can't get a firefighting job when they get out!

Rock and roll capitalism baby :c00l:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

gaj70 posted:

That's not completely true... Check cashing places often have better service (i.e., tellers who speak the local ethnic group's language, open later at night, no minimums). Check cashing places also tend to have more predictable fees (albeit larger in the aggregate, but predictability may be more important to someone living check-to-check).

Amusing anecdote: I used to live in D.C. On my way to work, I'd literally walk past 4 different bank branches, 1 check cashing place, and 1 pawn shop. For years, I wondered how the latter two businesses survived, given that this area clearly wasn't a banking-desert.

All of those things result in more money being taken from unbanked people, though. Except for the local ethnic group language.

Also, without a debit card or checking account you can't make any purchases online or pay some utilities like internet/cable. It's not really equivalent to a check cashing place.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

duz posted:

The intersection next to one of my prior apartments had 5 check cashing places spread over the 4 corners.
Edit: It also had 3 liquor stores and one pawn shop, it was a busy intersection.

I can't remember who did the study, but they developed an algorithm to determine the "worst" streets to live on in America based on the buildings on that street.

The highest factors correlating with the rate of crime/poverty/joblessness were streets that had large ratios of liquor stores, churches, and pawn shops (they included title loan places as pawn shops) in small areas.

If your street has 2 liquor stores, 2 churches, and a title loan place on the corner, then you probably live in an area that is in the top 5% for crime, unemployment, and poverty.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Also, without a debit card or checking account you can't make any purchases online or pay some utilities like internet/cable. It's not really equivalent to a check cashing place.

The EU forces banks to offer a cheap "basic" bank account that includes a debit card to everyone. Which seems like a better way to solve this problem than check cashing places.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lambert posted:

The EU forces banks to offer a cheap "basic" bank account that includes a debit card to everyone. Which seems like a better way to solve this problem than check cashing places.

Depends on what you mean by "better." That isn't profitable.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"better for society" seems a pretty reasonable way to define "better".

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Serving people bad at money is extremely profitable.

https://twitter.com/Socks5thAvenue/status/1032236308540735490

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I can't remember who did the study, but they developed an algorithm to determine the "worst" streets to live on in America based on the buildings on that street.

The highest factors correlating with the rate of crime/poverty/joblessness were streets that had large ratios of liquor stores, churches, and pawn shops (they included title loan places as pawn shops) in small areas.

If your street has 2 liquor stores, 2 churches, and a title loan place on the corner, then you probably live in an area that is in the top 5% for crime, unemployment, and poverty.

Having 2 packies on my block would own

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have one that is pretty well stocked about a block south, and a block north is a food coop that has wine/beer although they might be going out of business soon

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sounds like postal banking which has been gaining a bit of steam lately.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

ToxicSlurpee posted:

EU banks are heavily digitized, Danish banks don't even offer cheques anymore. So costs are low and automation is everywhere.

So it probably is profitable, at least a little.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Blut posted:

"better for society" seems a pretty reasonable way to define "better".

IDK. In this case, I'd probably define it as "better for the poor person."

I'm surprised by churches. Is that because they're providing charitable services?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

gaj70 posted:

I'm surprised by churches. Is that because they're providing charitable services?

It isn't a Church by itself, but situations where there are large amounts of churches and liquor stores clustered together.

I think this is the study I was thinking of:

quote:

According to Lersch (2007, p. 6), “just as there are dangerous high risk places and spaces, there are also blocks of time in which victimization for certain types of crime is more likely than others.” For instance, as suggested by Miethe et al. (2006), a person has a higher risk of becoming a homicide or aggravated assault victim at night, on the weekend, and especially on Saturday night.

Cash economies, which are also known as cash businesses, are defined as “micro places with specific functions, such as bars, fast-food restaurants, check-cashing centers, and pawn shops, that is, places that bring together, often in large numbers, people who carry cash, some of whom are distracted and vulnerable” (Bernasco and Block, 2011, p.34). In this section several studies on street robberies are overviewed to explore the relationship between cash economies and street robberies.

In his ethnographic study of the crime on Chicago streets, St. Jean (2007) used the concept of ecological advantage to explore the mechanisms that make certain blocks in a high-crime neighborhood more crime-prone than the others. Based on the testimonies from robbers, police officers, and residents in high-crime neighborhoods, St. Jean (2007, p. 165) concluded that “ecological advantages a place offers to robbers” was the missing ingredient that makes certain places more attractive to robbers than others in a neighborhood with the same levels of physical disorder and/or low collective efficacy.

At-risk housing, schools, churches, grocery stores, hair and nail salons, pawn shops, sit-down restaurants, and take-out restaurants are the only features that have round-the clock criminogenic influences on street robberies in all time models.

Drug charges, pawn shops, grocery stores, take-out restaurants, and hair and nail salons exert the strongest criminogenic spatial influences in different time models.

At-risk housing’s, schools’, and churches’ criminogenic influences are statistically significant, albeit weak.

Streets with high concentrations of liquor serving establishments, pawn shops, and churches produce larger criminogenic influences than individual instances; suggesting a compounding effect.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/248636.pdf

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ReidRansom posted:

Serving people bad at money is extremely profitable.

https://twitter.com/Socks5thAvenue/status/1032236308540735490

Meanwhile Georgia Governor candidate Stacy Abrams is being hounded over her poor financial decisions for deferring two years of taxes and having a payment plan with the IRS so she could help her parents with their medical costs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

there wolf posted:

Meanwhile Georgia Governor candidate Stacy Abrams is being hounded over her poor financial decisions for deferring two years of taxes and having a payment plan with the IRS so she could help her parents with their medical costs.

It's a little more complicated than that. She's getting hounded for owing the IRS $54k and having over $100k in credit card and loan debt, but she gave her campaign a loan for $50k instead of paying off her taxes.

The attack is "She owes the taxpayers and when she had the money to pay them back, she loaned it to her political campaign instead."

Not in the same league as Hunter, but the attack isn't that she went into debt to help her parents.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

It's a little more complicated than that. She's getting hounded for owing the IRS $54k and having over $100k in credit card and loan debt, but she gave her campaign a loan for $50k instead of paying off her taxes.

The attack is "She owes the taxpayers and when she had the money to pay them back, she loaned it to her political campaign instead."

Not in the same league as Hunter, but the attack isn't that she went into debt to help her parents.

You must be catching more detailed campaign ads than I have. All I see are IRS debt =bad with money, boo! The reality is a lot more gray, student loans and credit card debt from when she was young and then some bad times for her family that she threw a lot of her personal finances into.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Loaning your campaign money = bad and reckless

Using your campaign funds for personal expenses = everyone does it

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013
Not from that area, but it's probably more "using your campaign funds for personal expenses = gambling with someone else's money = bad and reckless."

And "Using your campaign funds for personal expenses = everyone might do it, but it's illegal."

Harvey Birdman
Oct 21, 2012

there wolf posted:

There was a chicken plant in Georgia a few years back that was running a literal company town. I don't remember if they had company script, but employees stayed in houses owned by the company and rent, board, and utilities got taken straight from their paychecks before they ever got them.

Are you thinking of this story, maybe? https://www.revealnews.org/article/they-thought-they-were-going-to-rehab-they-ended-up-in-chicken-plants/

Oklahoma, not Georgia, but definitely a chicken plant running a prison camp for their labor. :(

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

gaj70 posted:

It's absolutely better for society (and even for capitalism to work like it's supposed to) to have the poor be banked.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 23, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

there wolf posted:

There was a chicken plant in Georgia a few years back that was running a literal company town. I don't remember if they had company script, but employees stayed in houses owned by the company and rent, board, and utilities got taken straight from their paychecks before they ever got them.

Sounds like Coal board housing in the U.K. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Coal_Board 140,000 of them in fact, they didn’t take for utilities but coal was reduced price or free for miners.

When all the houses got sold off the people living in them got to buy them for £4000. Because a lot of the houses were concrete and needed bricking up there were £8000 cash grants available for improvements to each house, so miners were able to get short loans to buy them and ended up with the remaining £4000 in their pockets and basically a free house.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Harvey Birdman posted:

Are you thinking of this story, maybe? https://www.revealnews.org/article/they-thought-they-were-going-to-rehab-they-ended-up-in-chicken-plants/

Oklahoma, not Georgia, but definitely a chicken plant running a prison camp for their labor. :(

Nope, this was Georgia. Probably the same deal, though. It's not like labor protections are any better here.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/status/1032418919091453954?s=19

More Sears stores closing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The old Sears south of downtown Seattle has finalized its transition. The main store turned into office spaces and an Amazon Fresh pickup center. The automotive center down the street was renovated into an indoor climbing gym.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Sounds like good changes to me. Rock climbing is dope.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Lambert posted:

It's absolutely better for society (and even for capitalism to work like it's supposed to) to have the poor be banked.

It depends on the cost. I can imagine some rules that would be better / optimal for "society" writ large, but suck for the some communities within it. Put differently, "better for society" and "better for the poor" aren't synonymous.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Still not closing that loving kmart in Minneapolis.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gaj70 posted:

It depends on the cost. I can imagine some rules that would be better / optimal for "society" writ large, but suck for the some communities within it. Put differently, "better for society" and "better for the poor" aren't synonymous.

In the most extreme example of this, killing half of the poor people will incredibly raise the standard of living for the remaining half as human labor becomes significantly more scarce. Like a modern day black death.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Shocked that this unshocking news would drop the price a further 6% to $1.11. Here's hoping the stock price plummets below $1 by Labor Day weekend! :homebrew:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

baquerd posted:

In the most extreme example of this, killing half of the poor people will incredibly raise the standard of living for the remaining half as human labor becomes significantly more scarce. Like a modern day black death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

baquerd posted:

Thanos parachute account spotted.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Retail Collapse 2018: I don't feel so good Mr. Lampert.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I have Levis from like 15 years ago that are still wearable. I don't know what it is about them but Levis and Dickies pants seem to be about as indestructible as pants can possibly get. It actually kind of amazes me that the quality has been consistent and some poo poo bag with an MBA has yet to come along and say "gently caress quality we'll make shittier stuff with the same name slapped on it and increase our margins."

Dickies are great. Only work pants that I don't routinely tear the belt loops off of catching them on things at work.

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

The articles i see of it is of 2009 and 2010 yes. I do not see any mention of special card network, all the old article say "Mastercard" debit, and the recent info on card's site says you may also get Visa network card instead.

I already know of what scrip, I don't see connection to how WalMart did the pay.

That is said though, that often reason for company scrip was company built entire town from scratch far from any other shop, especial in old time. And was hard to bring official government moneys out anyway. Even if worker want to take regular money instead and leave, where do they spend it or even get away? Company ran stagecoach or train for their own town, no stores for days travel, it is like modern company town in Arctic and middle of desert like Australia mines. Walmart store not like that, they go where people already is and want the government money.

Yes, tell me more about how cool it is for someone to be able to lose their job, their house, and be both stranded in the middle of nowhere completely without funds and with no way to even leave at a company's whim.

Walmart would love to have that level of control over their workers.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

HEY NONG MAN posted:

The old Sears south of downtown Seattle has finalized its transition. The main store turned into office spaces and an Amazon Fresh pickup center. The automotive center down the street was renovated into an indoor climbing gym.

Which one is this?