Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

TGLT posted:

I mean yeah they get it but I don't imagine it'll have as big an impact for like Happy Chaos or Nago as it will the rest of the cast. I could be wrong though, and they're definitely at least gonna get more hosed up combos though.

Although with what they're doing to Happy Chaos's gun...
https://twitter.com/pokeee627/status/1692464751303852245

goty

and yeah you're right. It's encouraging to see them really making some sweeping changes like this, maybe we'll actually get a pretty big shake up of all the top performers then

Edit: oh it just looks like burst is WAY bigger now:
https://twitter.com/TabbyNickel/status/1692468076405723632

Actually this patch looks like it's going to change a TON of stuff. This change alone is pretty enormous:
https://twitter.com/GekkoSquirrel/status/1692462903788499443

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I've been out of the loop for a bit, have they mentioned any network changes whether it's the UI or connection improvements?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Feels like now that SF doesn't suck rear end anymore Strive has no reason to exist and ArcSys are throwing a bunch of poo poo at the wall to see what sticks...sad. Let's get back to the roots next time and make another +R game.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

At the very least I'd like full gatlings back for the next guilty gear title, also for it to be guilty gear vs blazblue so we can get those characters into a new game

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

In Training posted:

Feels like now that SF doesn't suck rear end anymore Strive has no reason to exist and ArcSys are throwing a bunch of poo poo at the wall to see what sticks...sad. Let's get back to the roots next time and make another +R game.

This is quite possibly the dumbest take I've seen in a while to the point I'm like compelled to say something. I'm not even playing it in favor of street fighter these days and this is baffling

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Street Fighter is no substitute for Guilty Gear game feel and it's weird to hear the two compared so often.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

ArcSys are throwing a bunch of poo poo at the wall to see what sticks

This is a quote from the ramlethal design document

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I dont understand the comparison because If strive were like streetfighter 6 i might want to play it again instead of yelling COUNTER at the tile on steam and playing a game with a less frustrating matching system instead

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

They're both big new games in their respective series with some big changes and are like, two of the biggest fighting games in town right now. That's it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I get the malaise, watching EVO just confirmed that I really don't like how the top tier is designed in this game (or how characters are designed in general, I guess, because I doubt I would change my mind if you took any of the rest and uber buffed them). SF6 is called a gorilla game but it was jarring going from Strive finals to games where rounds could be close until the end and aren't determined entirely by snowballing.

But I say this as someone who was at peace with Xrd Johnny and Elphelt even though I understood why everyone else hated them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

poe meater posted:

I've been out of the loop for a bit, have they mentioned any network changes whether it's the UI or connection improvements?

The dev update they put out right before EVO seemed to say “No we’re not changing the lobby system but we’ll incentivize tower a bit more” which is a pretty bad answer.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

mycot posted:

I get the malaise, watching EVO just confirmed that I really don't like how the top tier is designed in this game (or how characters are designed in general, I guess, because I doubt I would change my mind if you took any of the rest and uber buffed them). SF6 is called a gorilla game but it was jarring going from Strive finals to games where rounds could be close until the end and aren't determined entirely by snowballing.

But I say this as someone who was at peace with Xrd Johnny and Elphelt even though I understood why everyone else hated them.

tbf Happy Chaos has a pretty great visual style, but his actual gameplay design was uh.. not very good. I mean he's extremely good, but bad for the game both playing and watching imo. Nago is really cool design wise as well, but gameplay wise it's just such a snoozer to me.

Season 3 looks like a pretty big shakeup overall, but at the very least it'll hold me over until Undernight comes out. I-no's new move looks pretty cool (and also you can fast RC it to just like.. rocket across the entire screen which is super funny). I'm not sure how I feel about positive bonus giving you burst back faster

On the one hand it's nice that you can use the burst meter tools more often, but on the other hand it feels like that means the character who breaks the wall first is going to get burst back faster than the one that doesn't so it sounds like it could end up super snowball-y?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I still wish the network issues are fixed I can't get in games with sub 100 ping anymore since mid year.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man, Johnny seems really, really good from the character video

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Man, Johnny seems really, really good from the character video

He lost his xrd coins so hes broke and desperate

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
May is the mayships accountant now iirc so she's cut Johnny's allowance and he doesn't have the cash to throw about

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Tiger Millionaire posted:

May is the mayships accountant now iirc so she's cut Johnny's allowance and he doesn't have the cash to throw about

Well I don't think we've ever seen them successfully pirate, so it makes sense they'd be hard up for even change :hmmyes:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Running a fleet of magitech whales ain't cheap

Speaking of which I am happy that I am starting to learn when to grab in combat.

Only problem is I still haven't gotten to the point where I can comfortably beat someone in the Park and get ready to face off the ex celestials in floors 9-10

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The time to dash up grab is literally always

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
There are some absolutely insane system changes people are posting about.

The weights of all characters are being homogenized to the same.

Wall slump / wall splat now gives 30% burst to the person being slumped /splatted

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They should put fricking slayer and venom in it

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Wild Assault takes burst from the guy you hit with it. There is burst economy now.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Real hurthling! posted:

They should put fricking slayer and venom in it

I feel so bad that I want Slayer to never get in because I would find that funny.

Venom should get in though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
isn't Venom turbo dead

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Blockhouse posted:

isn't Venom turbo dead

good point

bring back Venom and Kliff

Orv
May 4, 2011
Venom went to the big pool hall in the sky.

Not that that's ever stopped fighting games before but hey, you never know.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
What? Dude's just running a bakery. Him and Robo-Ky are even in the Strive credits

a cozy retirement aka death forever

TGLT fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 20, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

TGLT posted:

a cozy retirement aka death forever

Yeah basically!

I forgot about the after stories, I thought he just got nuked when Bedman did.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Strive Testament has a bit of Venom flavor with their teleporting and demon placements if you care to give them a try.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

https://www.guiltygear.com/ggst/en/news/post-1973/

Orv
May 4, 2011
Okay I’m on Team Strive Is A Fake Game, they reduced HPB damage

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What is "removed counter effect"
Sounds bad

NBA FAN !!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2002

Now the screen zooms out and “counter” is whispered

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I'm not sure how I feel about them killing burst safe combos as a thing

and why the gently caress did they nerf the damage for anji's supers. what. new followup to spin is good and controlling the direction you move in when tossing out the needles is cool but why the gently caress does that mean his supers need to be even worse?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They hate their own himbo

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

TGLT posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about them killing burst safe combos as a thing

and why the gently caress did they nerf the damage for anji's supers. what. new followup to spin is good and controlling the direction you move in when tossing out the needles is cool but why the gently caress does that mean his supers need to be even worse?

All supers had their damage reduced, not just his.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Not all of them, but a bunch of them. I feel like they could have left the parry damage where it was since it's such an expensive call out in the first place.

e: I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out with the new wild assault stuff but ugg c'mon daisuke

TGLT fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 23, 2023

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

These burst changes are gonna make a pretty different game...hell I'll give it a shot. They continue to refuse to make millia cool though. Very sad.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The patch notes make it feel like the whole tone of the game has been reworked, like it's not a case of there being Less Things but rather a few big things got broken up and now there are more medium things to use. It looks like they are resolving there being a handful of really optimal murder routes and opening the game up to doing a lot more with a round. It looks like a fun patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Best patch ever, though I'd like a little more sauce for testament. They still feel like worse ram. Wild assault will let them convert off every S and H button for a 50% un-burstable combo into wallbreak though, so that's a nice consolation prize.

The direction the game is headed in is awesome. Removing weight specific combos is great. Making rekkas and forward-advancing moves significantly weaker is :discourse: as well.

It sounds like they're making strides toward improving the matchmaking system as well, with a few well-needed fixes. We'll see if those work but there should be a lot fewer broken cabinets.

Now fix hackerman arcsys 🫵