Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

xzzy posted:

too bad for you tim put lidar in our phones.

Which reminds me, that was one of the marketing buzz features that didn’t really add a whole lot. I understand it’s used in the image pipeline, but I wanted more fun uses for it.

In the car threads we’re talking about manufacturers discontinuing AM radio because it never gets used, LIDAR is a more expensive component and we don’t seem to be doing much with it in phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I use the lidar everyday in work to help scan houses to make basic floor plans and it’s really useful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Which reminds me, that was one of the marketing buzz features that didn’t really add a whole lot. I understand it’s used in the image pipeline, but I wanted more fun uses for it.

It is very cool but unfortunately the apps are pretty expensive and it turns out the average joe really doesn't need to be making 3d models all the time (and then spending hours on a desktop cleaning up the results).

I guess the house scanning stuff is more realistic for most of us but I've never really used it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hdip posted:

I use the lidar everyday in work to help scan houses to make basic floor plans and it’s really useful.

Actually kind of surprising it's good/accurate enough to do that since I can't even get the goddamn thing to properly size something when using AR to see how big an item is in real life, or to get consistent measurements of objects using the ruler function

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

floorplan stuff works better because it can use the accelerometer to help

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I was just as surprised as you. Honestly it’s probably not even using the lidar for most of it, since you don’t have to have the camera pointed at the house the whole time. You’re just walking around and then using the camera to mark corners and it reads the angles of the corners. But the app requires the pro versions of the iPhone. It’s as accurate as I am with my disto laser measuring device and I don’t have to mess about with angles on bay windows.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Hdip posted:

What app do you use for this? I’d like to be able to get a nice floor plan but Polycam Pro is a bit more expensive than I can really justify right now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
AI sucks but I’m currently in my plant-dad phase and it owns that I can use Photos to identify plants and even birds with pretty solid accuracy. I’m sure 3rd party apps can do it better but I try doing this natively if possible.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

buglord posted:

AI sucks but I’m currently in my plant-dad phase and it owns that I can use Photos to identify plants and even birds with pretty solid accuracy. I’m sure 3rd party apps can do it better but I try doing this natively if possible.

It's cool that I can walk around my yard and be like what is this? And use photos to figure it out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

buglord posted:

Holy poo poo it does work

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

that parrot has a cnady cane

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
go ahead and try and take it from him

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I only gave him the whole candy cane as a prop. After the photo, I did take it from him and I gave him a little piece of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The plant identification is scary good, I am horrible with vocabulary and plants and birds have unlimited names. The ability to snap a picture and get a name or figure it out later is pretty magic.

Plants it seems to have perfect accuracy on. Birds is a little lower, I've had it mixup juvenile bald eagles and red tailed hawks for example.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

2 for 2

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's actually really good at telling the difference between my two orange cats if their faces are visible

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Keeps saying my cat is an American shorthair but she's actually a European shorthair. Racist iPhones smh.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

What app do you use for this? I’d like to be able to get a nice floor plan but Polycam Pro is a bit more expensive than I can really justify right now.

Specific appraisal software. It's not a floorplan app or anything unfortunately. Just posted to show that some companies do take advantage of it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just going through old screenshots and found this peak UI design:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just going through old screenshots and found this peak UI design:

RETVRN

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
what was the deal with that one fabric texture. where did it come from. why was it so beloved by apple. i would watch a four hour youtube essay about that texture.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Do you have to enable something for visual lookup on the photos? Doesn’t seem to give any info when I have pictures of birds or plants

edit: fixed it. had “show in lookup” disabled in Siri settings. Switched to enable and it works

slave to my cravings fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 4, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fedule posted:

what was the deal with that one fabric texture. where did it come from. why was it so beloved by apple. i would watch a four hour youtube essay about that texture.

I’m sure that video essay is out there.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Fedule posted:

it was probably the texture of Scott Forstall’s favourite linen shirt

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just nuked my phone for the first time since like iOS 3. What’s the current good free blocker for safari? Doesn’t seem like Crystal is available anymore?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Wipr is pretty set it and forget. 1Blocker is good if you like to customize.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every time I head into the mountains and lose signal while playing music Apple's horrible algorithms amaze me again. The random rarely played poo poo it decides to store on my phone could only be curated by someone intentionally rejecting my recent habits.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

the enshittification of Spotify has gotten to me too much for me so back to playing my own music files, what are good audio player apps for ios nowadays?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just use music.app but I’m pretty dumb about music

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Maed posted:

the enshittification of Spotify has gotten to me too much for me so back to playing my own music files, what are good audio player apps for ios nowadays?

I’m curious, what happened to Spotify? I’ve been using google music for several years now since it was paired up cheaply with YouTube Premium. It’s been a meh experience but consistently meh experience, which is all I can ask for nowadays. aside from the music shorts they shoehorned in, it’s been kinda the same.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Maed's experience is valid, but I've been using Spotify for 8 years and haven't noticed it getting any shittier. Going back to having a big library of my own music files that I have to manage and sync in 2024 like I used to have in 2016 sounds like a gigantic pain in the rear end, so I'll keep using Spotify for as long as it's usable.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Plex and Plexamp is the ultimate combo.

Add in OpenAI and Tidal integrations and their DJ's are awesome. I've ignored Spotify for a couple months now.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Did they remove the “This person isn’t X” from photos? It has automatically set my sister-in-law as my wife’s profile picture in the face recognition search thing (which isn’t the same thing as her contact card) and I can’t figure out how to tell it she’s not my wife. I found articles saying to, and vaguely remember in the past, finding the photo and there being a share menu option to say it wasn’t her but don’t see it anymore.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

buglord posted:

I’m curious, what happened to Spotify? I’ve been using google music for several years now since it was paired up cheaply with YouTube Premium. It’s been a meh experience but consistently meh experience, which is all I can ask for nowadays. aside from the music shorts they shoehorned in, it’s been kinda the same.
Spotify’s been ramping up the aggressiveness of their push into podcasts and audiobooks for quite a few years so more and more of the app has been becoming irrelevant cruft for anyone not interested in those things; I finally gave up on it and switched to Tidal a couple of years ago when the main interface became a TikTok style thing that starts autoplaying some random hit song as soon as you open the app (and at least for me, before Bluetooth headphones have a chance to connect).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

rafikki posted:

Did they remove the “This person isn’t X” from photos? It has automatically set my sister-in-law as my wife’s profile picture in the face recognition search thing (which isn’t the same thing as her contact card) and I can’t figure out how to tell it she’s not my wife. I found articles saying to, and vaguely remember in the past, finding the photo and there being a share menu option to say it wasn’t her but don’t see it anymore.

You gotta tap on the little profile picture in the bottom left corner.

Also lol at your phone telling you your SIL is your wife. That's hilarious and I'm sure it won't cause issues in some families. All this makes me trust Apple's rumored AI-powered healthcare thing.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 5, 2024

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't know what kind of lame use case I am but that is not at all my spotify experience. Podcasts lives as a tab I never open and shows up sometimes as a tile here and there or in searches if relevant.

The tiktok discover thing I've never encountered, but I also don't scroll far down on the homepage.

There have been little things done with the UI here and there that I simply cannot remember and of course car mode became a thing that has a good spirit but I end up disabling it every time it pops up.

My bigger beef with spotify is it feels like the algorithm rather play the same 5-10 songs it thinks I like instead of truly helping me discover new music that sounds like stuff I already like.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Dave posted:

The tiktok discover thing I've never encountered, but I also don't scroll far down on the homepage.
When I had it it wasn’t a “scroll down and discover” thing, it was the immediate first thing on opening the app with no way of disabling it. But my partner has Spotify and doesn’t have that experience either so maybe they rolled it back or I just got unlucky with A/B testing. Either way, Tidal doesn’t have podcasts or audiobooks so I’ve got no incentive to switch back now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also lol at your phone telling you your SIL is your wife. That's hilarious and I'm sure it won't cause issues in some families. All this makes me trust Apple's rumored AI-powered healthcare thing.

I hope you then made this a key photo !!! (Great cat).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

I hope you then made this a key photo !!! (Great cat).

They're all key photos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Boris Galerkin posted:

Man, that was buried. Thanks! It does a decent job, but sometimes struggles telling her and her sisters apart.