Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

nachos posted:

We're gonna bomb the hell out of those spice fields! He who controls the spice controls the universe!

So in this scenario Trump is the Kwisatz Haderach? The Bene Gesserit really messed up that breeding program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Make Shai-Hulud Great Again.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Deptfordx posted:

So in this scenario Trump is the Kwisatz Haderach? The Bene Gesserit really messed up that breeding program.

The Bene Gesserit are very secretive about their breeding program. They might, for example, have wanted to breed him to a really hot daughter to a close relative to set up a dominant in some genetic trait.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Logikv9 posted:

Jeb! couldn't stop saying stupid stuff but how well was this exploited by his rivals in the primary? From what I remember pre-Trump I couldn't stop hearing about how Jeb! was creating an unstoppable political machine.

There was no real primary happening when jeb was winning, his polling was pure name recognition. Of course the "smart washington people" were all on the jeb train, they've been completely clueless this cycle. poo poo, you still have morons going on about how trump can't win because ~reasons~~~~~.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Logikv9 posted:

Jeb! couldn't stop saying stupid stuff but how well was this exploited by his rivals in the primary? From what I remember pre-Trump I couldn't stop hearing about how Jeb! was creating an unstoppable political machine.

It's funny, he dominated the "invisible primary" of gathering big donor support in January 2015 so well that it intimidated Mitt Romney out of running. Now that Jeb is failing, I wonder if Mitt is kicking himself. I know for sure Ann is!

This article, mentioned before, is great:

quote:

Since the emergence of Donald Trump as the GOP presidential front-runner, various sources close to Mitt Romney have floated the idea of the 2012 nominee reentering the current race to heroically save his party. Romney has repeatedly insisted that he's out for good this time, but now he claims that "Mitt 2016" fever is still very much alive — to the point that even a current candidate has begged him not to rule out running. "Look," Romney told the Washington Post in late December, "I had one person who was running for president, and I won’t give you the name ... called me and said, 'I hope you don’t close the door. We may need you.' That's a person running for president. A candidate. A Republican. I’m not giving it a second thought."

The quote is part of a lengthy Post retrospective on how the Republicans got themselves into their current presidential predicament, and Romney also notes that he totally called Jeb Bush's downfall a year ago. On January 22, Bush flew to Salt Lake City to meet with Romney. Both sides were tight-lipped about what was said during their "gentlemanly conversation," but eight days later, Romney announced he was dropping out of the 2016 race.

Now Romney confirms that Bush's perceived shortcomings were part of the reason he decided to run. He says he thought, "I like Jeb a lot, I think he’d be a great president, but felt he was unfairly but severely burdened by the W. years — and when I say the W. years, it's not only what happened to the economy, but the tragedy in Iraq." He added, "Bush-versus-Clinton head-to-head would be too easy for the Democrats."

Romney reveals he shared these concerns with Bush at their January 22 meeting, per the Times:

[Romney said]: “Jeb, to be very honest, I think it’s very hard for you to post up against Hillary Clinton and to separate yourself from the difficulty of the W. years and compare them with the Clinton years.” He said Bush responded by saying that “he was going to make his campaign about the future, not about the past.”

“I didn’t say anything at that point,” Romney recalled. “But as he left, I said to myself, ‘Gosh, in my opinion, it’s not going to be as easy to make that separation as I think he gives the impression it will be.’ One of the few things I predicted that turned out to be true.”

Romney says he ultimately decided that it was going to take "something unusual" to beat Clinton — i.e. not the same guy who ran last time — but he doesn't elaborate on how his chat with Bush played into that decision.

As for Bush, he doesn't seem thrilled about Romney building up the "Mitt 2016" fantasy at his expense. A Bush spokesperson told the Post, "We don’t talk about meetings that we consider to be private. We’re honoring Governor Bush’s commitment to Governor Romney to keep the meeting private. Governor Bush appreciates what Mitt did in waging an able campaign and leading our ticket."
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/01/gop-candidate-dreams-of-mitt-2016-says-romney.html

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I can't believe how excited I am about the possibility of a Romney campaign!

(it's actually too late by this point, right? When is/was the 'no going back' date?)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Mister Macys posted:

(it's actually too late by this point, right? When is/was the 'no going back' date?)

About half of the filing deadlines are passed, so yes.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

It was November sometime, but I'm sure they'd pass rules to make it happen if it really needed to

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mister Macys posted:

July 20, 2016

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

It was November sometime, but I'm sure they'd pass rules to make it happen if it really needed to

You're not going to get state legislatures, filled with legislators who have endorsed candidates already in the race, to retroactively change filing deadlines with a month's notice in order to favour a Romney candidacy.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

Well, in a brokered convention, all that goes out the window, right? If nobody has a majority, the delegates become unbound and can pick whoever they want. Given that most delegates are going to be loyal to the campaign that picked them, they'll follow the candidate's lead in the matter, but there are examples of deadlocked conventions where someone who didn't run ended up as the nominee, since the different factions wouldn't compromise with each other, but would pick a neutral third party that they felt they could control. That's how we ended up with James Garfield and Jon Snow becoming the nominees for their parties.

E: it's not going to happen outside of fantasy, but that's the scenario people are projecting on Romney.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Deptfordx posted:

But as he's said he has the best genes. And after all his daughter has all the best qualities of a woman, as he likes to point out.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I know this is getting into the dems side, but earlier people were posting that the GOP candidates had signed up more people than Hillary for their caucus votes- is this a sign of excitement for the GOP or more than Hillary has the dem primary as a done deal this time?

Also, H5N1 is playing the best long con. I can't wait to see what he had planed for Jebs loss in Iowa, and his eventual withdrawal from the race. I can't believe how excited I am for H5N1 being excited about Jeb!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

Romney doesn't deserve a "!" plus I think Mormons have rules against that kind of punctuation because it's too exciting.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
1 mile below dunwoody, Iowa, a bunker lit more by computerized LED's than its fluorescents is buzzing in hushed tones. Decades of work to lay the foundation for the GOP's greatest stroke of genius. A mechanical man, a smiling mormon human to all outward apperances, but nothing but cold steel underneath. A man worthy of their legacy.

Though the operation was purely professional, not even the sites legendary security could stop all workers in eyeshot from stopping to take in the moment. The top two engineers turned their keys simultaneously and the miracle man's brain lit up to receive its humble inaugural stimulus, a simple operation designed to test whether his cognition was truly functioning.

The first thing the man ever saw was a computer screen. The image of Jeb Bush coupled with a quote, "People won't mind my last name, it'll be alright"

Silence.

Then the reply

quote:

‘Gosh, in my opinion, it’s not going to be as easy to make that separation as I think he gives the impression it will be.’

A cheer roared out through the base. Today, their miracle man fielded a political quandry that might give most plucky 5 year olds trouble. Tomorrow, he would rule the world.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

poo poo, you still have morons going on about how trump can't win because ~reasons~~~~~.

They could still be correct if the GOP tries a brokered convention.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Phlegmish posted:

Link, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=561CdWwpTeM

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

quote:

A Doctor in the House tells of Candy Carson crying in pain from the bathroom while encountering trouble waking up her husband, according to TIME.

Lol.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Benzo Carson strikes again

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:pray:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Joementum posted:

Didn't stop Dick Cheney.

Dick Cheney wouldn't stoop to grifting, his meal ticket is outright corruption.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Haven't had a chance to listen to much of Sean Hannity's show. The bit I was listening too he seems into Trump/Rubio/Cruz... I'll listen to the last half hour of this garbage, then listen to Master Shake for a bit before turning in since I'm stuck at the office till 7pm anyway.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lotka Volterra posted:

Benzo Carson strikes again

oh my god somehow I didn't even see that connection to the fact that Carson is Mr. Sleepyhead. I am not a clever man

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I was kind of envisioning a terrifying "He Who Walks Behind The Rows" monster and was disappointed reading the article.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

"He will negotiate great trade deals, and make our military so strong, no country will ever mess with us."

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Yeah, at first I thought some punctuation was missing. Nope. Candy Carson had trouble waking up Ben from his comatose slumber.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Zwabu posted:

I was kind of envisioning a terrifying "He Who Walks Behind The Rows" monster and was disappointed reading the article.

Candidates of The Corn

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah, at first I thought some punctuation was missing. Nope. Candy Carson had trouble waking up Ben from his comatose slumber.

Well if being on stage at a nationally televised debate doesn't keep him awake, what hope does she have

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

AngryBooch posted:

"It’s 3 a.m., and your children are safe and asleep,” a narrator says, as images of sleeping babe after sleeping babe pass by. “But there’s a phone in the White House, and it’s ringing.”

"No one can wake up the president. We've tried."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Trump regrammed this.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Powercrazy posted:

Trump will ride on the back of a YOOOGE Dune Worm for the next debate. It will be the biggest the world has ever seen.

remember: if you walk without rhythm, you wont attract the trump

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Cruz Super PAC Keep the Promise 1 slams Rubio on fantasy football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU9pAxbHHGY

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ben Carson talks about his 14.9% flat tax which people "at the poverty level" might not have to pay all of or something :iiam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=typLLrAGIws

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

next trump ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUxK_0WLbg

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Joementum posted:

Trump regrammed this.

I assume that was hastily changed from OBAMA to TRUMP?

I'll only vote for someone who creates dank memes, not someone who just regrams edited ones :rolleyes:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Joementum posted:

Ben Carson talks about his 14.9% flat tax which people "at the poverty level" might not have to pay all of or something :iiam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=typLLrAGIws

people ask me "dr. carson, how does it work?" to which i reply "how does a brain work? no one knows, but what we all know is it takes Gifted Hands (tm) to fix them."

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Ben Carson is hosting a town hall in Staten Island in 30 minutes. Allegedly, silive.com will be streaming his exciting and energizing speech.

The New York primary is on April 19th, so Carson is cleverly getting the jump on all his competition in that state.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Going to be a rally tonight at 7ESTish in MA, rumor has it there will be more than the usual number of lightweight losers protesters there.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnxD-IDgy7s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Michael Corleone posted:

Going to be a rally tonight at 7ESTish in MA, rumor has it there will be more than the usual number of lightweight losers protesters there.

There was a petition to ban him from being allowed to appear and since he's going to be speaking in a city that is 30-40% minority, it doesn't surprise me.

• Locked thread