Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I was terrible at Megaman so please no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

AllisonByProxy posted:

When I first found that dungeon it bugged and I had no flashlight. At the time I didn't realize it was a glitch so I ended up doing the whole thing almost blind. It was terrible.

when I tried the Costlemark Menace Dungeon, I eventually gave up and had to go back out to the overworld but the game glitched and wouldn't let me use items anywhere at all anymore, so that made some other fights a fun time

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Blazing my way through ff3, I expect to do just fine until the end boss. I skipped over 2 but will go back to it once I wrap up 3.

I've basically been running mnk/wm/rm/geo for a long while now. I know to upgrade wm to devout and mnk to black belt, but what else job wise works well against the last boss?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If its the NES you should be running nothing but Ninjas and Devouts.

If its DS you should be grinding to hell and back for HP boosts.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kingtheninja posted:

Blazing my way through ff3, I expect to do just fine until the end boss. I skipped over 2 but will go back to it once I wrap up 3.

I've basically been running mnk/wm/rm/geo for a long while now. I know to upgrade wm to devout and mnk to black belt, but what else job wise works well against the last boss?

DS or NES?

Red Mage gets pretty poor later on I think. Ninja works fine as a substitute, or Sage/Magus/Summoner if you want some magic damage.

Bards are pretty awesome if you grind up some job levels on them.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Sorry, it's. The DS version.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If I remember correctly, FFIII NES's job system is much more hierarchical than future job systems. The jobs you unlock later are just plain better than the ones you get earlier. Like Barudak says, once you unlock them, you should probably just go all Ninja and Devout.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I will say, I'll be drat glad to finish the nes Era of the series and move on to the snes Era. These early games were super unforgiving.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kingtheninja posted:

I will say, I'll be drat glad to finish the nes Era of the series and move on to the snes Era. These early games were super unforgiving.

Ff3nes is pretty easy and forgiving. But you picked the ds version so it's bullshit and it sucks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

DS or NES?

Red Mage gets pretty poor later on I think. Ninja works fine as a substitute, or Sage/Magus/Summoner if you want some magic damage.

Bards are pretty awesome if you grind up some job levels on them.

I used a Red Mage all game and found it pretty good and useful.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

corn in the bible posted:

Ff3nes is pretty easy and forgiving.

Ehhhhhhh. It’s pretty bad if you go in blind since some jobs are useless and some of the dungeons are painful to do. It’s definitely a game you’d want a walkthrough for at certain parts, mainly the last few dungeons.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Best jobs in 3 DS endgame are probably knight, ninja, devout and summoner / sage. Knight gets the best 2 swords in the game from Eureka, ninja gets the best katanas from Eureka, you'll need a devout, and last one can be as summoner to use Bahamut, or if you need another healer, use a sage and give it meteor instead of Bahamut since Sage got a heavy nerf in the DS version and summons won't use their attack spell.

If you're level grinding, try to have everyone as a black belt for better HP gains.

Edit: I forgot getting a job to level 99 gives you it's ultimate weapon. So if you wanted to, you could probably sub ninja for dark knight. I think dark knight has better survivability. But ninjas can throw shurikens, which is one of the best (and most expensive) attacks in the game.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 2, 2018

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Ultimate FF3 protip don't play the DS version it's an actively worse version of an NES RPG and that's impressively bad

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Just play the Crystal Tower XIV raid,it's probably the best version and you can oogle Cloud of Darkness

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Pitioss always struck me as the product of a celebratory post-development game jam that never should have seen the light of day, there's a kind of giddy delirium in how nonsensical it is within the larger context of FFXV.

You weren’t paying enough attention, it actually tells quite the story.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

seiferguy posted:

If you're level grinding, try to have everyone as a black belt for better HP gains.

Yeah please keep in mind that your HP gains are based on your current CON stat on level up, so
1) never gain a level as a caster class
2) never gain a level during summoning sickness
3) NEVER EVER EVER gain a level as scholar

seiferguy posted:

Edit: I forgot getting a job to level 99 gives you it's ultimate weapon. So if you wanted to, you could probably sub ninja for dark knight. I think dark knight has better survivability. But ninjas can throw shurikens, which is one of the best (and most expensive) attacks in the game.

Getting a job to 99 gives you some kind of piece of ultimate equipment, not necessarily restricted to a weapon, that only that class can use. Unless it's a class from the earth crystal, this is sadly a tremendous waste of time :(

Grinding weapon proficiency is a different story. Each weapon type (swords, bows, staves, rods, knightswords (yes, they're tracked separately from regular swords), axes, harps, katanas, etc) has a proficiency score that increases every time you use the attack command with the associated weapon type equipped. It increases damage, accuracy, and, most importantly, gives a flat increase to your minimum number of hits. Number of hits is the most important component of the attack formula because it increases your base damage multiplicatively.

FF3-ds doesn't have a damage cap, so physical attacks--especially dual wielding katanas as a Ninja--are eventually the strongest thing in the entire game. Magic rarely hits 9999. Keep in mind that it's an invisible damage cap, so the highest number it can display is 9999 even though you're doing way more. Number of hits works the same way, the maximum displayed number is 32 (36?) but it can go infinitely high, technically.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 2, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You people are a bunch of maroons, every single FF that has had a job system, has had it feasible to clear the game with ease with any of them. FF12, FFT, FFTA, FF5, FFIV, FF6, FF9, etc. Let him play the game for himself, this is a backseat gaming free thread.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah I dunno why people are talking about this minmaxing poo poo. I ran with a team of:
a rotating physical class like Warrior than Knight, Dark Knight and finally Dragoon
Monk and then Black Belt
Red Mage
White Mage and then Devout

I didn't encounter any real problems outside of certain challenging boss fights. I certainly wasn't switching physical jobs for my casters before they leveled up. That sounds horrible. And you get Black Belt when the game is, what, 95% over? So that's hardly something to keep in mind when you are first playing the game.

I gotta replay the game sometime though and try a more diverse party. I am intrigued with A&O's praise of Bards.

Dark Knights are the worst though since their special skill involves losing HP and then promptly getting killed in boss fights.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 2, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah I dunno why people are talking about this minmaxing poo poo. I ran with a team of:
a rotating physical class like Warrior than Knight, Dark Knight and finally Dragoon
Monk and then Black Belt
Red Mage
White Mage and then Devout

I didn't encounter any real problems outside of certain challenging boss fights.

This is called RNG luck. Do you know what happens to most people when they play FF3-DS? They fight Doga and Une and they wipe for hours because the boss just spams Flare and Holy and one-shots everyone in a single round.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Gologle posted:

You people are a bunch of maroons, every single FF that has had a job system, has had it feasible to clear the game with ease with any of them. FF12, FFT, FFTA, FF5, FFIV, FF6, FF9, etc. Let him play the game for himself, this is a backseat gaming free thread.

Hey they asked for good jobs, I gave them my opinion based on my experience with the game :shrug: I would also argue that FF3 still has a "not all jobs are equal" even in the remake. Some jobs are better than others, especially given the best weapons in Eureka only work with certain jobs. In the original, you were dumb to go into the final dungeon with anything other than 2 ninjas and 2 sages.

Edit: It's also really hard to beat Garuda without anything other than 4 dragoons. So I mean, yeah you can play whatever you want but the game clearly points you towards optimized paths.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The White Dragon posted:

This is called RNG luck. Do you know what happens to most people when they play FF3-DS? They fight Doga and Une and they wipe for hours because the boss just spams Flare and Holy and one-shots everyone in a single round.

Or they get to the crystal dungeon and the die in that marathon like I did.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

seiferguy posted:

Hey they asked for good jobs, I gave them my opinion based on my experience with the game :shrug: I would also argue that FF3 still has a "not all jobs are equal" even in the remake. Some jobs are better than others, especially given the best weapons in Eureka only work with certain jobs. In the original, you were dumb to go into the final dungeon with anything other than 2 ninjas and 2 sages.

Edit: It's also really hard to beat Garuda without anything other than 4 dragoons. So I mean, yeah you can play whatever you want but the game clearly points you towards optimized paths.

Or you fight Garuda with 3-4 Geomancers and pray for Shadow Flare.

I'm still appalled at how bad they made Scholar. Even if you hack in a million attack items I'd actively discourage using the job just because of its rock-bottom Vitality.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I did it, I beat a cloud. A dark cloud, of darkness. Used a black belt and ninja to do the heavy lifting, and a summoner to supplement.

So I've got one and three down. Now to try two again to see if I'll stick with it or just skip ahead to four.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

I did it, I beat a cloud. A dark cloud, of darkness. Used a black belt and ninja to do the heavy lifting, and a summoner to supplement.

So I've got one and three down. Now to try two again to see if I'll stick with it or just skip ahead to four.

4’s where things start getting good! Your experience with 3 should make the rest of the games a cakewalk.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

4’s where things start getting good! Your experience with 3-DS should make the rest of the games a cakewalk.

:yeah:

FF3-DS was balanced by a madman who was from the Everquest school of development. He was the one who was responsible for making FF11 bad, and then making FF14's launch bad, and then got demoted to FF11 and made it more bad. Everything else will be like a breath of fresh air.

Except FF2 because it's secretly a SaGa game. but if it turns out you actually do like ff2... brother do i have a series for you

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

2 for gba is significantly easier then nes 2 cause stat gains are somewhat derandomized or something like that. I like 2 gba and have even done like, challenge runs in it and stuff

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Remakes of 2 make it so that increasing low-level skills takes fewer uses and also makes it so that you automatically gain HP every once in a while even if you don't take damage. However, they don't fix the monster closets.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I'm using the Origins version of 2, does that still count?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm using the Origins version of 2, does that still count?

Probably the best version to play.

The "Where should I play" is as such:

1: GBA, PSP or mobile
2: see above
3: NES
4: GBA, some might say DS / PC but I thought the upgraded graphics sucked compared to the new endgame stuff
5: GBA / SNES translation (note, GBA adds endgame content, maybe find a patch to fix slowdown)
6: same as above, except no translation. Mobile versions of this game are terrible. GBA version is good and adds some goof endgame stuff but should be patched to fix slowdown.
7: PS4 or PC remaster
8: PC remaster (don't get the 1st PC version...)
9: PS4 or PC remaster
10 and 10-2: PS3, PS4 or PC remaster
11: uhh...
12: Zodiac age on PS4 or PC

In short, get the latest remasters with the exception of 3-6 as the mobile / DS versions are flawed in some ways.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the best version of 4 is complete on psp by far.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I like 4 DS much better, but admittedly I think it should only be for people who already know FF4. Going into 4 DS for your first time can work too but it's a bit more difficult that I wouldn't recommend it in this context unless someone was already rpg savvy.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Say what you want about the graphics of the mobile/PC port, but it's by far the best playing version of FFVI, not even close- the SNES original is buggy as all hell to it's detriment and the GBA version is plagued with terrible slowdown, glitches of it's own, and a destroyed version of the soundtrack, while the mobile/PC version fixes the glitches while adding in a bit of QoL (like making Cyan charging his Bushido not stop EVERYONE from acting.) Translation's a toss-up, with the rewrite doing a lot of things better at the cost of Kefka.

I'd also take the PS1 Origins version of FF1 over the later versions, but that's because I think the extra dungeons are all awful and the changes to the magic system from the GBA version onward rob the core game of almost all of it's interesting bits. Origins just adds some quality of life bits and makes it so most of the things that were glitched in the NES version- like most of the buffing spells and the Intelligence stat- actually work.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The best version of 6 is the GBA one with a patch to fix the music, slow down and colours, injected onto a 3DS for cozy gaming

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 5, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PS1 is a good choice for 1, since it keeps the spell charge system and doesn't tank the difficulty level but still fixes the bugs.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I have 8 off of steam, I didn't know there was a remaster of that so I'm not sure which version I have.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
8 on Steam is a "remaster" in that they threw a filter on it, loaded it with a couple of cheats, and called it a day. It doesn't even have proper controller prompts so good luck remembering what "B2" or whatever is. Might as well stick with an emulator if you want to play FF8 on PC.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Bongo Bill posted:

PS1 is a good choice for 1, since it keeps the spell charge system and doesn't tank the difficulty level but still fixes the bugs.

Seconding this. The other versions of the game are something of a joke in the difficulty department.

I can't stand playing FF1 unless it's the nes version or the PS1 version.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like the PSP version of FF1 because its real pretty.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

do people care about the difficulty of a final fantasy game

none of them are difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Actually difficult FF fights for someone going in blind: Wiegraf, Yunalesca and...?