Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

90s Cringe Rock posted:

"No, that's not lag during the explosions, we just put the game in slow motion a lot to pad out the playtime."

The PAR times for the levels were coming in at 8 minutes under, so any part that wasn't a cutscene or puzzle sequence was considered for slow motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I can't leave without my. Buddy. Sanch.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
TekWar-style FMV cutaways where Marenghi berates/congratulates you for acting/not acting like the real Dr. Rick Dagless, M.D., the criteria of which is inscrutable and changes on a semi-random basis.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I've put a lot of thought into it and I finally know what my true dream retro FPS would be.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace: The Game

In it, you play as Dr Rick Dagless MD and must fight through 6 levels, from the basement of Darkplace Hospital up to the rooftop, battling monsters in order to close a portal hell that has opened up over the building. At the end of each level you meet a new character from the show who then gives you a new weapon. Lucien Sanchez gives you his semi-auto, Thornton Reed gives you his shotgun, Liz Asher has fashioned some kind of chemical flask thrower that acts as the game's rocket launcher, etc. In between levels are short cutscenes (using low res screenshots from the show) and most of the monsters are based on monsters from the show. Apefied hospital personnel, horrible eye beasts, etc.

The flat, orthogonal levels of Wolfenstein with the fluidity of Doom and the interactivity of Duke 3D. And like the show, there'd be a story behind the actual game that was completely untrue. Garth Marenghi wrote, directed, designed, and funded the game himself in 1990 but it got stuck in dev hell for 8 years and came out the day before Half-Life, so it was already outdated tech and design wise and then completely disappeared.

Music by Bobby Prince, based on tunes hummed by Garth Marenghi.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkN8WtFTpE

Edit: I forgot the ending. Larry Renwick is the final boss, posessed by Lucifer himself. After you blow him up Garth says, "Larry.....are you all right?"

Okay buddy I've got some news for you.

An indie dev is totally making this, although as a light gun game not an FPS

https://twitter.com/thos_thom/status/1383084970554560516?s=20

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
oh my loving god

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
all possibilities are now reality

your darkest desires realized

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I've put a lot of thought into it and I finally know what my true dream retro FPS would be.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace: The Game

In it, you play as Dr Rick Dagless MD and must fight through 6 levels, from the basement of Darkplace Hospital up to the rooftop, battling monsters in order to close a portal hell that has opened up over the building. At the end of each level you meet a new character from the show who then gives you a new weapon. Lucien Sanchez gives you his semi-auto, Thornton Reed gives you his shotgun, Liz Asher has fashioned some kind of chemical flask thrower that acts as the game's rocket launcher, etc. In between levels are short cutscenes (using low res screenshots from the show) and most of the monsters are based on monsters from the show. Apefied hospital personnel, horrible eye beasts, etc.

The flat, orthogonal levels of Wolfenstein with the fluidity of Doom and the interactivity of Duke 3D. And like the show, there'd be a story behind the actual game that was completely untrue. Garth Marenghi wrote, directed, designed, and funded the game himself in 1990 but it got stuck in dev hell for 8 years and came out the day before Half-Life, so it was already outdated tech and design wise and then completely disappeared.

Music by Bobby Prince, based on tunes hummed by Garth Marenghi.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkN8WtFTpE

Edit: I forgot the ending. Larry Renwick is the final boss, posessed by Lucifer himself. After you blow him up Garth says, "Larry.....are you all right?"

Zaphod42 posted:

What happened in here? :suspense:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Hoyl fuckkd

:vince:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol awesome

He should keep the voiceover as is imo

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1385282086802690051

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

:wow:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

jesus. this might be the most bizarre and improbable case of "that actually exists" i have ever seen

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

90s Cringe Rock posted:

oh my loving god

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Hasturtium posted:

The source isn't available but it's been reverse engineered to the point that at least one modern Build engine port can run it in a way that's indistinguishable from the original, but with modern niceties. So it would definitely be possible to alter the gamedefs or source to your liking and see how it goes, and I think there would be some interest in a Redneck Remastered or something to that effect. It would just take making a list of the flaws, determining the ways by which those could be fixed or amended, and then playtesting and fine tuning. After that point somebody could create an episode centered around the improvements and pointedly designed to not suck...
With how incredibly janky most of RR's coding seems to be, it might in fact be easier to just edit all the sprites and features into Duke3D; can't be more complicated than all the nonsense the AMC TC does. There's a Shadow Warrior mod called Rampage Warrior that does something similar, but I believe it only replaces sprites.
Though a better foundation would probably be Blood; RR's whole atmosphere would probably work really well with Blood's gameplay quirks such as running on enemies' heads and having explosions blow their corpses halfway across the room.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sweet. I was worried they stopped with these.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Totally on board with this, as long as we can use the gibs from Rise of the Triad to depict people that inconveniently blow up.

And Turok's fog for when the Scottish show up, of course.

I'll get a mop!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sweet. I was worried they stopped with these.

I really wish some gameplay mods would come out. I could, once in a while, use something above and beyond vanilla Doom, as wonderful as it is.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really wish some gameplay mods would come out. I could, once in a while, use something above and beyond vanilla Doom, as wonderful as it is.

Probably has a lot to do with the 'borrowed' assets in a lot of gameplay mods

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Probably has a lot to do with the 'borrowed' assets in a lot of gameplay mods

I think it's also a matter of any and all WADs needing to be compatible with vanilla Doom and not some GZdoom version.

I'm not expecting things like Demonsteele or Reelism, but something to shake things up would be nice.

Hell, make the weapon firing and reload animations 30+ fps.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hell, make the weapon firing and reload animations 30+ fps.

Not really enough frames available in dehacked to be able to do that. You have to start doing some serious cuts to everything else to make room.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

The Java-based BuildGDX source port has already made the most important improvement of all: Larger, brighter, colour-coded keys, and telling you what key a locked thing needs!

Has anybody ported that specifically to Raze? I really liked that part of BuildGDX. The larger keys mod helps, but the extra stuff GDX does is really helpful.

Hasturtium posted:

After that point somebody could create an episode centered around the improvements and pointedly designed to not suck...

I would love a Bloatoid RR mod.

Carpator Diei posted:

With how incredibly janky most of RR's coding seems to be, it might in fact be easier to just edit all the sprites and features into Duke3D; can't be more complicated than all the nonsense the AMC TC does. There's a Shadow Warrior mod called Rampage Warrior that does something similar, but I believe it only replaces sprites.
Though a better foundation would probably be Blood; RR's whole atmosphere would probably work really well with Blood's gameplay quirks such as running on enemies' heads and having explosions blow their corpses halfway across the room.

Agreed, actually. Part of the reason I like RR as much as I do is that it feels like a cousin to Blood in a lot of ways.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

why go through the effort to recreate a game that's as godawful as redneck rampage when that could be put towards something that isn't dogshit instead

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Carpator Diei posted:

Yeah modifying Blood for this would probably be the best solution

catlord posted:

Has anybody ported that specifically to Raze? I really liked that part of BuildGDX. The larger keys mod helps, but the extra stuff GDX does is really helpful.

I would love a Bloatoid RR mod.

Agreed, actually. Part of the reason I like RR as much as I do is that it feels like a cousin to Blood in a lot of ways.

There definitely is a lot of overlap in themes between the two, though that can be said about pretty much all Build Engine games(besides Extreme Paintbrawl), for whatever reason all of them dig deeply from the well of the B-Movie, though each one chooses different subgenres to most directly riff on

Which makes imagining a hypothetical crossover between all of them really easy to imagine

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

why go through the effort to recreate a game that's as godawful as redneck rampage when that could be put towards something that isn't dogshit instead
I just can't shake the feeling that Redneck Rampage could be a good game if every aspect of its design was just a bit more competently done. And it's always interesting when there's the possibility of making a mod that would be objectively better than the base game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

drrockso20 posted:

There definitely is a lot of overlap in themes between the two, though that can be said about pretty much all Build Engine games(besides Extreme Paintbrawl), for whatever reason all of them dig deeply from the well of the B-Movie, though each one chooses different subgenres to most directly riff on

Which makes imagining a hypothetical crossover between all of them really easy to imagine

Yeah, absolutely. In RR, I feel like the Blood elements are clearest in the levels The Nut House, The Mortuary, and The Mansion, but that grimy backwoods feel that permeates the entire game wouldn't feel out of place in Blood (and you can get a bit of the feel in a few of Blood's levels, like in Crystal Lake).

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I've always had a soft spot for Redneck Rampage, I tried to play it again a while back and it's janky gameplay and difficulty put me off it.

I would love to see a remake/recreation of it that's more competently done

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 23, 2021

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Kamrat posted:

I've always had a soft spot for Redneck Rampage, I tried to play it again a while back and it's janky gameplay and difficulty out me off it.

I would love to see a remake/recreation of it that's more competently done

Could this be the beginning of a community project? Redgoon Rampage, maybe?

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

this looks incredible

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

Could this be the beginning of a community project? Redgoon Rampage, maybe?

Redneckbeard Rampage

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 23, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I say let's go hog wild and implement my probably idiotic idea of crossing over all of the Build Engine games*, so we can nuke cultists, zap clones with a shrink ray, or shred Nazis with a set of machine gun jubblies

*and I mean all of them(well except Ion Fury as that would be asking for trouble)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I give negative fucks about Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, but this looks like a legit light gun game and I wish that were more of a thing. I should buy a USB light gun.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
The Early FPS Megathread - Garth Marenghi's Darkplaces

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lork posted:

The Early FPS Megathread - Garth Marenghi's Darkplaces
Perfection.

Raze has put out a preview build of its new renderer, and is asking people to give it a kick-around to see what breaks it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The problems with Redneck Rampage run so deep any attempt to fix it would effectively be an entirely different game that only uses the existing art and sound assets. Are those really worth saving?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SCheeseman posted:

The problems with Redneck Rampage run so deep any attempt to fix it would effectively be an entirely different game that only uses the existing art and sound assets. Are those really worth saving?

No but I’d play it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Kins posted:

Perfection.

Raze has put out a preview build of its new renderer, and is asking people to give it a kick-around to see what breaks it.

Oh hey! This means VR support might finally be possible.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
:five: for the new thread title :golfclap:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

The environmental aesthetics definitely deserve to be in a better game, in my opinion. The enemy sprites... have character. But yeah, the sounds and especially the enemies' lines need some work.
A simple remake of Rides Again on a Blood basis could already result in something nice, Rides Again has some genuinely good level ideas.

drrockso20 posted:

I say let's go hog wild and implement my probably idiotic idea of crossing over all of the Build Engine games*, so we can nuke cultists, zap clones with a shrink ray, or shred Nazis with a set of machine gun jubblies

*and I mean all of them(well except Ion Fury as that would be asking for trouble)
That would be extremely cool. Most of those games have very similar arsenals and enemy rosters aside from the explicitly gimmicky parts, so a crossover could just pick the most interesting option for every niche.
e: Ion Fury doesn't have interesting weapons or enemies anyway, so nothing is lost :v: (Well, maybe with the exception of those skinless guys with the burning heads)

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 23, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'd never played Redneck Rampage and Civvie's video made me glad of it.

Jehde posted:

I give negative fucks about Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, but this looks like a legit light gun game and I wish that were more of a thing. I should buy a USB light gun.

It's one of the funniest shows ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's one of the funniest shows ever.

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjOEcoMy2fI