Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Zesty posted:

That half-second thought of "huh, it's pretty blank on the East side... oh, right..

Alaska like a reverse population density map.

Indigenous Alone is also a very politically-loaded category for a number of reasons. In the Southeastern US in particular, intermarriage between Black and Indigenous people was historically quite common, particularly during the period of enslavement, because native communities often served as refuges for those seeking to escape from their captors. Places like the Great Dismal Swamp in North Carolina and Virginia sheltered members of both communities as safe harbors, and exchanges of people and assistance were frequent. This was later used by racist pieces of poo poo as an excuse to deny the inconvenient identities of Indigenous people, reducing them to the category of "colored" due to the presence of literally any Black ancestry. Certainly, forced removals like the Trail of Tears are one reason there are fewer Indigenous people in the eastern US, but there are still plenty here! They just had to adapt and assimilate in different ways, ways which were then weaponized to further marginalize and erase them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Platystemon posted:

I want to see a poll on how many men think that they could defeat Mulan in a swordfight.

I'd just smirk at them, like "oh, Hun"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Air Skwirl posted:

No, Nala married a king, a lot of "princesses" aren't actually a princess but do have some official royal title. Mulan is 100% not any sort of royalty, but given how good she is with a sword I'm not going to tell her "well, actually."
Nala is the daughter of a king.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Like, a different king than Mufasa? I watched some of the dtv stuff but that was decades ago and literally remember nothing of them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

No, Nala married a king, a lot of "princesses" aren't actually a princess but do have some official royal title. Mulan is 100% not any sort of royalty, but given how good she is with a sword I'm not going to tell her "well, actually."

Unless they changed things up in the sequel and the new movie that her thing was more general competence and quick thinking.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm not sure I buy that being competent makes you effectively royalty. Actually I think it counts against you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Having preposterously looked it up, canonically she is not; her parents were Sarafina (a random female lion as far as the movie tells us) and an unnamed male lion born around the same time as Mufasa and Scar, but not suggested to be a king at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BonHair posted:

I'm not sure I buy that being competent makes you effectively royalty. Actually I think it counts against you.

I'm just saying, I'm not going to argue with Mulan if she wants to hang out with Snow White and Jasmine.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Having preposterously looked it up, canonically she is not; her parents were Sarafina (a random female lion as far as the movie tells us) and an unnamed male lion born around the same time as Mufasa and Scar, but not suggested to be a king at all.
Any male lion who sires babies is a king in the moment of conception.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Disney princess chat is not where I expected this thread to ever go

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Count Roland posted:

After 2300-odd pages I'm not sure there was anywhere else left.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
There comes a point when the well about HRE princes goes dry..

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Quorum posted:

Indigenous Alone is also a very politically-loaded category for a number of reasons. In the Southeastern US in particular, intermarriage between Black and Indigenous people was historically quite common, particularly during the period of enslavement, because native communities often served as refuges for those seeking to escape from their captors. Places like the Great Dismal Swamp in North Carolina and Virginia sheltered members of both communities as safe harbors, and exchanges of people and assistance were frequent. This was later used by racist pieces of poo poo as an excuse to deny the inconvenient identities of Indigenous people, reducing them to the category of "colored" due to the presence of literally any Black ancestry. Certainly, forced removals like the Trail of Tears are one reason there are fewer Indigenous people in the eastern US, but there are still plenty here! They just had to adapt and assimilate in different ways, ways which were then weaponized to further marginalize and erase them.

The problem there is that a lot of Americans (both white and black) claim partial native ancestry, when often they only have very tenuous links (genetically and/or culturally) to any indigenous community, or none at all. Usually this is not borne out of any malicious intent to misrepresent themselves or appropriate an identity that doesn't belong to them, but because it's a story that's been passed down in their family for generations, and they have no reason to doubt it. If you included all these people, the map would be a lot less useful. This is also why many Native American tribes continue to use blood quantum, of their own volition. It's not my place to judge, but it does make logical sense if you want to keep your identity from being watered down completely, even if it's a difficult decision. The other side of the coin, of course, is that with any sort of blood quantum, the 'one drop rule' being the most extreme example, it artificially limits your numbers and downplays your overall contribution. That's always the trade-off.

When I read that the number of white people in the US had dropped (or stagnated, I don't remember exactly) for the first time in history between 2010 and 2020, my first thought was that it made sense, given the rise of interracial relationships, sub-replacement fertility for decades, and very low immigration rates. Then for unrelated reasons a while later, I happened to be going over the Demographics section of a number of small Midwestern towns, and noticed something. The population in most of them had stayed about the same between 2010 and 2020, and the non-white population usually close to non-existent during both censuses, except for one category that nearly always showed strong growth - people from two or more races. The only logical explanation is that a significant number of people who formerly identified as white alone, are now identifying as mixed-race. Once I noticed this, I kept seeing it for nearly every overwhelmingly-white town. I won't speculate on the causes, and whether it's good or bad, but it seems common enough for it to have a statistically significant effect. The reason it's interesting to me is that even a small percentage of people choosing to self-identify differently can have a big impact on the overall narrative concerning your group. To tie it back to Native Americans, blood quantum rules can help preserve what's left of your culture and identity, but by the same token they do indeed contribute to the idea that there are 'no natives left' in most of the United States.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also going by percentages means that you're likely to totally erase the native populations in more generally densely areas, so you'll mostly see the reservations.

Although I can't seem to find any state by state real numbers or estimates of real numbers, and I don't want to do the math to figure out everything. For one example though, New York City on the census has a 19,000 Native population, whereas one of the darker areas on the map is Sioux county, North Dakota, which has a total human population of around 4,000, only 84% of which is native.

I do also wonder whether some hispanics might decide to identify as Native American which would create weirder statistics. The US census tracks "hispanic" as separately from race (whereas most american hispanic nations tend to self-identify their primary demographic as mixed between native and european), so I wonder if that'd lead to some hispanics ending up identifying on the census as native american but not specifying biracial.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Once I noticed this, I kept seeing it for nearly every overwhelmingly-white town. I won't speculate on the causes, and whether it's good or bad, but it seems common enough for it to have a statistically significant effect. The reason it's interesting to me is that even a small percentage of people choosing to self-identify differently can have a big impact on the overall narrative concerning your group. To tie it back to Native Americans, blood quantum rules can help preserve what's left of your culture and identity, but by the same token they do indeed contribute to the idea that there are 'no natives left' in most of the United States.

OTOH maybe it doesn’t necessarily matter. Turkish people living in Turkey today have also a small minority of Turkic ethnicity (~20% on average, certainly far lower for Istanbul and the wealthy west and south coasts) but they’re about as jingoistic about their ethnic heritage as you could possibly be even if you were Japanese and 99%+ of your ancestors for the past 1500 years were also born and raised in Japan.

On the opposite spectrum, you have all of Latin America north of Chile where the people are ethnically majority of native descent, but the pre-1520 culture and language has been obliterated except in Paraguay, Bolivia, Peru, and a few pockets here and there in Central America and Mexico.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

and meerkats

Pshaw, everyone knows meerkats come from Russia. :rolleyes:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

7b ftw

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do also wonder whether some hispanics might decide to identify as Native American which would create weirder statistics. The US census tracks "hispanic" as separately from race (whereas most american hispanic nations tend to self-identify their primary demographic as mixed between native and european), so I wonder if that'd lead to some hispanics ending up identifying on the census as native american but not specifying biracial.

With the exception of maybe some Afro-Latinos, the vast majority of Hispanics in the US seem to identify on the census as either Other or White, partly dependent on their appearance and/or actual amount of European ancestry, but also many other factors that end up making the distinction not very meaningful. I've read that quite often, people within the same family identify differently. Very few will categorize themselves as either Native American or mixed race (in census terms).
As for Native American specifically, I don't know if this is intended currently, but the perception still exists that this term exists specifically for people native to the area of the modern United States. It's another difficult one, because an Aymara from Bolivia, or a Mexican mestizo that leans heavily to the indigenous side, could reasonably claim to be Native American, but US natives and/or policy makers might not always appreciate the term being broadened in this way. That's just what I would assume, I'm not sure what the actual consensus on the matter is.

This leads to the, uh, interesting situation where there are huge stretches of the United States where the majority of the population identifies as Other. Policy and map makers usually deal with this by treating Hispanic as a 'race', and this works well enough since those who identify as Other are overwhelmingly Hispanic. In general, the arrival of tens of millions of Latin Americans has had the effect of putting serious pressure on the usefulness and coherence of the U.S. census. The problem is that the vast majority of them come pre-mixed, and usually identify with their nationality first and foremost. Even introducing categories such as mestizo or mulatto would be a serious oversimplification. While it's true that the majority of Mexicans are mestizo, nearly all of these mestizos have a small amount of black ancestry as well, sometimes 5-10% or more. Similarly, it is treated as a given that people from the Hispanic Caribbean are mixed black and white, but DNA studies have shown that they usually have a significant chunk of indigenous ancestry, sometimes more than 20% (which leads to the question of whether or not the Taíno truly went extinct, but that's a different matter). I'm reminded of the situation in Latin America under the Spanish colonial authorities, where they would introduce an ever-increasing amount of racial categories for their caste system, until they were finally forced to give up because it became impossible to keep track. It makes me wonder if we'll see a similar breakdown in the United States, and I think it will happen eventually, but it'll be a while still, since racial categorization still seems to be very important within US American society, for various understandable reasons.

I tried to find a map showing the % of Other by county but wasn't able to, probably because this is quite reasonably not seen as a very useful category. I did find this, related to what I was talking about earlier, a huge, nearly continuous area stretching across the Northeast and Midwest where mixed-race people are supposedly the second largest race/ethnicity:

However, thinking about it some more, perhaps my earlier, somewhat cynical take isn't necessarily the only factor at play. If you are a non-white person living in an area that is 97% white, then it is statistically likely that your partner (if any) will be white, unless you go out of your way to avoid that. And then, of course, your offspring (if any) will be mixed-race. This also would contribute to the mixed-race population being larger than that of any one non-white category in hundreds of counties across the United States.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wät

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phlegmish posted:

In general, the arrival of tens of millions of Latin Americans has had the effect of putting serious pressure on the usefulness and coherence of the U.S. census. ... I'm reminded of the situation in Latin America under the Spanish colonial authorities, where they would introduce an ever-increasing amount of racial categories for their caste system, until they were finally forced to give up because it became impossible to keep track.
Also why any kind of demographic analysis of that nature on a global scale rapidly descends into farce, either of trying to make some kind of phylogenetic 'tree of life' out of everyone's historic classification systems, or using the culturally dominant US system as a Procrustean bed until you end up with nonsense like

TinTower posted:

I regret to tell you ET_Californian is at it again:

https://twitter.com/ET_Californian/status/1789341037703364680

Noted bastion of conservatism, *checks notes*, Sheffield.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
I don't think this has been posted here. Found it while scrolling around on Twitter/X: Ethnic stereotypes among students at the University of Paris c.1200 AD

From the link:

quote:

[University of Pennsylvania T and R Introduction] The testimony is unanimous as to the evil life of a large proportion of the students. It was inevitable that young men-in many cases, mere boys living under practically no restraint and not subject to the full penalties of the law, should have been boisterous and obstreperous. Many of the so-called students resorted to the universities simply for enjoyment and with no idea of study. Conflicts between the' different nations were every day occurrences. Town and gown rows were frequent. But the citizens as a whole seem to have been favorably disposed toward the students.
In the Chartularium of Paris there are many proofs of the evil lives led a part of students, (see Vol. 1, Nos. 60, 197, 425, etc.). But Jacques de Vitry is preferred here because of his account of the jealousies among the different nations. The first part of his description is very characteristic, but cannot be quoted.

Almost all the students at Paris, foreigners and natives, did absolutely nothing except learn or hear- something new. Some studied merely to acquire knowledge, which is curiosity; others to quire fame, which is vanity; others still for the sake of gain, which is cupidity and the vice of simony. Very few studied for their own edification , or that of others. They wrangled and disputed not merely about the various sects or about some discussions; but the differences between the countries also caused dissensions, hatreds and virulent animosities among them and they impudently uttered all kinds of affronts and insults against one another.

They affirmed that the English were drunkards and had tails; the sons of France proud, effeminate and carefully adorned like women. They said that the Germans were furious and obscene at their feasts; the Normans, vain and boastful; the Poitevins, traitors and always adventurers. The Burgundians they considered vulgar and stupid. The Bretons were reputed to be fickle and changeable, and were often reproached for the death of Arthur. The Lombards were called avaricious, vicious and cowardly; the Romans, seditious, turbulent and slanderous; the Sicilians, tyrannical and cruel; the inhabitants of Brabant, men of blood, incendiaries, brigands and ravishers; the Flemish, fickle, prodigal, gluttonous, yielding as butter, and slothful. After such insults from words they often came to blows.

I will not speak of those logicians before whose eves flitted constantly "the lice of Egypt," that -is to say, all the sophistical subtleties, so that no one could comprehend their eloquent discourses in which, as says Isaiah, "there is no wisdom." As to the doctors of theology, " seated, in Moses' seat," they were swollen with learning, but their charity was not edifying. Teaching and not practicing, they have "become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal," or like a canal of stone, always dry, which ought to carry water to "the bed of spices." They not only hated one another, but by their flatteries they enticed away the students of others; each one seeking his own glory, but caring not a whit about the welfare of souls.

Having listened intently to these words of the Apostle, " If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work," they kept multiplying the prebends, and seeking after the offices; and yet they sought the work decidedly less than the preeminence, and they desired above all to have " the uppermost rooms at feasts and the chief seats in the synagogue, and greetings in the market." Although the Apostle James said, " My brethren, be not many masters," they on the contrary were in such haste to become masters that most of them were not able to have any students except by entreaties and payments.. Now it is safer to listen than to teach, and a humble listener is better than an ignorant and presumptuous doctor. In short, the Lord had resereved for Himself among them all only a few honorable and timorous men who had not stood "in the way of sinners," nor had sat down with the others in the euvenomed seat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Enters “American” for ethnicity.

Refuses to elaborate.

Leaves.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Refuses to elaborate.

Leaves.

It's a natural result of the stupid way they write up the census. If you're white and refuse to identify with a European country then that's where you get lumped. They want people to identify a European ancestry but the vast majority of Americans are no longer descended from a single European country. I'm not really Cherokee but I'm just as Cherokee as I am German, and that's my largest European ancestry. Ask stupid questions, get stupid answers. Realistically it makes as much sense to call me American as it does to call anyone Mexican.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think it's important to recognize that after 1808 there were mostly not that many slaves imported into the USA, so most black people you see are descendants from pre-1808 slaves or their various white oppressors. Before the huge influxes of Irish people and before the huge influx of Italian people, pre-1808 black people were here. They have way more of a claim on America than do any other immigrants who came after them. Yet those immigrants and their children and their children's family children constantly push forward a narrative where Africans are not part of the American story. And yet, and yet! they were here way before any Gallucios or Kellys

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here in Philadelphia this Italian festival is going on right now in South Philly. South Philly is very much considered an Italian area, one of the most in the whole USA. South Philly Italians, just like Rocky!

But there were significant populations of black people in South Philly way before there were a lot of Italians there. Black people have way more of a claim on South Philly than do the Italians. Yet the one cultural idea persists because we don't see black people as equal partners in the American story

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah Philly is evil and I recommend everybody stay away.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
they made an actual place based on always sunny? like a theme park?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Also why any kind of demographic analysis of that nature on a global scale rapidly descends into farce, either of trying to make some kind of phylogenetic 'tree of life' out of everyone's historic classification systems, or using the culturally dominant US system as a Procrustean bed until you end up with nonsense like

Sounds like something a salta atrás would say

lol even the name itself is hosed up

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Refuses to elaborate.

Leaves.

If you don't fill out the form in certain situations in the USA the person giving it to you is meant to make a guess based on your appearance

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/02/japan-sato-only-name-by-2531-marriage-law

Diqnol posted:

Idk what you’re talking about, a large population of Americans know Spanish???

100% in argentina, cuba and many american countries

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 20, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

and plenty of Americans, in addition!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Why does it separate some states by age and then others by year? Weird any state would care before you set up a casino though.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Notable people

Using data from Morgane Laouenan et al., the map is showing birthplaces of the most "notable people" around the world. Data has been processed to show only one person for each unique geographic location with the highest notability rank.

https://tjukanovt.github.io/notable-people

It gets extremely granular in some parts of the world, apparently going down to the village level in some areas. In the US multiple small towns within counties are included. In others its a single name for the entire county.

"A new strand of literature aims at building the most comprehensive and accurate database of notable individuals. We collect a massive amount of data from various editions of Wikipedia and Wikidata. Using deduplication techniques over these partially overlapping sources, we cross-verify each retrieved information. For some variables, Wikipedia adds 15% more information when missing in Wikidata. We find very few errors in the part of the database that contains the most documented individuals but nontrivial error rates in the bottom of the notability distribution, due to sparse information and classification errors or ambiguity. Our strategy results in a cross-verified database of 2.29 million individuals (an elite of 1/43,000 of human being having ever lived), including a third who are not present in the English edition of Wikipedia. Data collection is driven by specific social science questions on gender, economic growth, urban and cultural development. We document an Anglo-Saxon bias present in the English edition of Wikipedia, and document when it matters and when not."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

taters posted:

Notable people

Using data from Morgane Laouenan et al., the map is showing birthplaces of the most "notable people" around the world. Data has been processed to show only one person for each unique geographic location with the highest notability rank.

https://tjukanovt.github.io/notable-people

It gets extremely granular in some parts of the world, apparently going down to the village level in some areas. In the US multiple small towns within counties are included. In others its a single name for the entire county.

"A new strand of literature aims at building the most comprehensive and accurate database of notable individuals. We collect a massive amount of data from various editions of Wikipedia and Wikidata. Using deduplication techniques over these partially overlapping sources, we cross-verify each retrieved information. For some variables, Wikipedia adds 15% more information when missing in Wikidata. We find very few errors in the part of the database that contains the most documented individuals but nontrivial error rates in the bottom of the notability distribution, due to sparse information and classification errors or ambiguity. Our strategy results in a cross-verified database of 2.29 million individuals (an elite of 1/43,000 of human being having ever lived), including a third who are not present in the English edition of Wikipedia. Data collection is driven by specific social science questions on gender, economic growth, urban and cultural development. We document an Anglo-Saxon bias present in the English edition of Wikipedia, and document when it matters and when not."
"Huh, Hitler at #4. Wonder if I can find the top three just clicking arou..oh, #3 is da Vinci. Well, the next ones are probably Americans, hey let's click on Trump. Yep, #2. I wonder who beats Trump..." *zooms out and clicks on some North American names, sees Obama on the far left of the globe and clicks him* "Ah, of course, the only person who could beat Trump"

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I checked on one of the people shown as being born in Antarctica. Wikidata puts him in Pomerania. Not sure how that mistake was made.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

gurragadon posted:

Why does it separate some states by age and then others by year? Weird any state would care before you set up a casino though.

It just depends on the law of the state. It's also confusing because the Wikipedia page that uses this graphic also has a table, but the table doesn't match the graphic.

Some states, like Pennsylvania, require that the machine be at least 25 years old (an "antique"). Some set the machine age threshold based on date of manufacture - Washington, DC requires the machine be manufactured before 1952. You're right, though, that a machine being legal to own doesn't allow offering it as a gambling device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

This is interesting but mostly because of who gets overrepresented as “notable” based on typical Wikipedia obsessions like convicted murderers (e.g. where I currently reside has a white supremacist who apparently murdered someone), random Olympians, actors, musicians, etc.

Also lol at my hometown being represented by someone who wasn’t born there and where even the supposed data source has them listed correctly.