Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

iroc_dis posted:

Fuuuuck. I can't decide on either Oxtar TCS Replicas or shell out another $100 for Alpinestars SMX Plus

I'd buy the TCS's. The A*'s are nice but not worth another 100$. The Oxtars are excellent boots, despite not having that much "street cred".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been wanting to get a set of cold/cool weather gear (40F-65F (I'm cold blooded and like to be warm)). My current JR leather coat works great down to about 60F, but them I start adding layers and eventually look like a bloated snowman, so I want something proper for the spring.

I've been hearing some good things about textile gear for cold weather, so I've been leaning toward that. It also seems a little cheaper than leather, which is nice. In addition to being warm, I'd like it to be windproof and relatively water resistant. Obviously, I want something that'll hold up to a fall, with CE approved armor being a plus. I don't have a need for pockets or storage on the coat itself. I would like the coat to be red or yellow if possible; all black doesn't really work for me. I'm looking for a jacket and a pair of overpants for about $400, though I'm willing to go higher if it's worth it. I've got a couple months before the bike comes back out, but I want to start looking.

I started off looking at some of A*'s stuff, but I only see two jackets that could work. Also, I don't see them selling textile overpants to mate with the jacket and the only color I see is black.

Sigma Drystar Jacket
+In my price range
+Full sleeve liner
-Black only
-No mention of the type of material (how strong is it?)

Space Drystar Jacket
+Full sleeve liner
+600-denier polyester fabric
-Black only
-Close to the limit of what I want to spend before even looking at overpants

I then took a look at Cortech/Tourmaster's stuff. Everyone raves about Tourmaster, but I have a few things from them and have had issues with zippers coming off, so I'm a little apprehensive about them. They do have really good prices, though (~$300 for jacket and pants).

Saber Series 2 Jacket
+Cheap
+Comes in Red
+600 Denier Carbolex shell
+CE shoulder and elbow armor/foam back protector
-No upgrade for the armor
-I'm sick of snaps to arm adjustment

Transition Series 2
+Looks to have more features and be warmer than the Saber Series 2 jacket
+Red or yellow and more visible than the Saber Series 2
+"600 Denier Carbolex and 600 Denier ballistic polyester shell" sounds pretty strong (better than the Saber Series 2 jacket)

Master GX Sport Series 2
+"600 Denier Carbolex shell incorporates 1680 Denier Ballistic Polyester impact panels;" Sounds really strong
+I like the styling on it
-Doesn't look as warm as the Tourmaster stuff

The plus on those three jackets is the available overpants (Venture or Caliber).

There's also an expensive FirstGear Jacket, but that comes close to $600 once I add in the overpants. The cheaper pieces don't seem to use as good material for abrasion protection.

I've only been looking at NewEnough right now. Are there any other brands I should take a look at? I'm leaning toward the Tourmaster Transition Series 2 jacket.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Jolci posted:

I have a pair of Shure e2c's and they've worked great for me, and I never had any problems with my helmet. My Shoei X-11 has a bit more room around the ears than most other helmets I've tried seem to have though, so that might be why. They're a pain when you take your helmet off, but if you've put them in right than it usually isn't too bad. I don't get a head ache from having them in, but sometimes because there's such a seal between them in your ear it's just uncomfortable -- like you want to equalize your ears or get the poo poo out of them for a second. I imagine that would happen with any close fitting earplugs though, and I don't use the foam inserts, I use the rubber ones which may make them feel weirder with ear wax and all.

yeah the e2cs do work well and all but I found that with any in-ear monitor I was getting a lot of pain after a few concecutive days of all day riding. They're great for a day out in the mountains or even a weekend trip, but for a week long trip my ears were in agony. I have found that cleaning my ears with hydrogen piroxide every night, and buring through a lot of q-tips did stretch it to a couple more days of comfort. When my ears finally had enough though it was pretty bad. My ears were hurting bad enough that my teeth were starting to throb. I'm switching to the helmet speakers for that reason.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Uthor posted:

I've been wanting to get a set of cold/cool weather gear (40F-65F (I'm cold blooded and like to be warm)). My current JR leather coat works great down to about 60F, but them I start adding layers and eventually look like a bloated snowman, so I want something proper for the spring.

I've been hearing some good things about textile gear for cold weather, so I've been leaning toward that. It also seems a little cheaper than leather, which is nice. In addition to being warm, I'd like it to be windproof and relatively water resistant. Obviously, I want something that'll hold up to a fall, with CE approved armor being a plus. I don't have a need for pockets or storage on the coat itself. I would like the coat to be red or yellow if possible; all black doesn't really work for me. I'm looking for a jacket and a pair of overpants for about $400, though I'm willing to go higher if it's worth it. I've got a couple months before the bike comes back out, but I want to start looking.

I started off looking at some of A*'s stuff, but I only see two jackets that could work. Also, I don't see them selling textile overpants to mate with the jacket and the only color I see is black.

Sigma Drystar Jacket
+In my price range
+Full sleeve liner
-Black only
-No mention of the type of material (how strong is it?)

Space Drystar Jacket
+Full sleeve liner
+600-denier polyester fabric
-Black only
-Close to the limit of what I want to spend before even looking at overpants

I then took a look at Cortech/Tourmaster's stuff. Everyone raves about Tourmaster, but I have a few things from them and have had issues with zippers coming off, so I'm a little apprehensive about them. They do have really good prices, though (~$300 for jacket and pants).

Saber Series 2 Jacket
+Cheap
+Comes in Red
+600 Denier Carbolex shell

Transition Series 2
+Looks to have more features and be warmer than the Saber Series 2 jacket
+Red or yellow and more visible than the Saber Series 2
+"600 Denier Carbolex and 600 Denier ballistic polyester shell" sounds pretty strong (better than the Saber Series 2 jacket)

Master GX Sport Series 2
+"600 Denier Carbolex shell incorporates 1680 Denier Ballistic Polyester impact panels;" Sounds really strong
+I like the styling on it
-Doesn't look as warm as the Tourmaster stuff

The plus on those three jackets is the available overpants (Venture or Caliber).

There's also an expensive FirstGear Jacket, but that comes close to $600 once I add in the overpants. The cheaper pieces don't seem to use as good material for abrasion protection.

I've only been looking at NewEnough right now. Are there any other brands I should take a look at? I'm leaning toward the Tourmaster Transition Series 2 jacket.

For the price I'd really look at just getting a set of heated liners rather than another set of great. While another set of gear will keep you non-hypothermic down to maybe the 40s liners will keep you warm and comfortable down to the low 30s to 20s. As long as your JR jacket isn't too perforated you'd be fine with just a t-shirt, liner, and then your JR jacket. https://www.warmnsafe.com is a good company so is https://www.gerbings.com

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PlasticSun posted:

For the price I'd really look at just getting a set of heated liners rather than another set of great. While another set of gear will keep you non-hypothermic down to maybe the 40s liners will keep you warm and comfortable down to the low 30s to 20s. As long as your JR jacket isn't too perforated you'd be fine with just a t-shirt, liner, and then your JR jacket. https://www.warmnsafe.com is a good company so is https://www.gerbings.com

The jacket isn't perforated, but it has giant removable panels in the arms. Great for the summer, but they let in a lot of air and make my arms cold once it cools. My best solution is to wear another jacket over the top to keep the wind out, which makes moving around on the bike a chore.

I may get some heated stuff in the future, but I don't want to invest in it yet. The problem is that I don't have a garage, so I'm stuck outside waiting 5-10 minutes for my bike to warm up once the temps hit the low 40's. 'Cause of that, the bike gets put away for the winter and I miss most of the cold days. I'm waiting until I get a bike with FI and a garage to stay warm in before investing it anything warmer.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
How about the Olympia one-piece suit? http://www.olympiamotosports.com/phantom/Phantom.htm

I ordered one from the local BMW dealer. MSRP is $450, and it comes with an insulating liner, and is supposed to be pretty waterproof. It has CE approved armor as well. People I've talked to seem a bit apprehensive about it, since it's basically an Aerostitch Roadcrafter for a little over half the price, but I'm not convinced that the difference in quality is that big.

It only comes in fluorescent yellow and gray though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Zenaida posted:

How about the Olympia one-piece suit? http://www.olympiamotosports.com/phantom/Phantom.htm

That looks nice, but just doesn't look convenient enough to wear to and from work. I'll think about it.

Plus, I just can't pull off this look:

I'm just not cool enough.

EDIT:
Some of the other stuff on that site looks cool, too.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 22, 2008

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Uthor posted:

Most of the stuff you listed is crap. Carbolex (aka polyester) is a poor material for motorcycle use, but apparently it is pretty cheap. For your safety, look for nylon, or best yet, brand name Dupont Cordura textile. Olympia, for example, is consistently good about using quality fabrics. Buy used if you must, but I would not trust bargain basement brands and fabrics.

According to Motoport, a manufacturer of high-end motorcycle clothing, here is how materials compare:

Cotton Jeans - 4.5 pounds to tear - 50 cycles to failure
70 Denier Standard Nylon - 4.5 pounds to tear - 165 cycles to failure
500 Denier Polyester - 8 pounds to tear - 180 cycles to failure
200 Denier Standard Nylon - 7.5 pounds to tear - 275 cycles to failure
500 Denier Cordura - 22 pounds to tear - 710 cycles to failure
620 Denier Cordura - 35 pounds to tear - 1200 cycles to failure
Competition Grade Leather - 80-110 pounds to tear - 1200-1700 cycles to failure
1000 Denier Cordura - 110 pounds to tear - 1780 cycles to failure

Personally, I look for 500 denier Cordura in the body of a garment, and 1000+ denier Cordura at critical points.

Realize that "denier" is not comparable across materials, since it is merely a measure of weight, not strength!!!

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 22, 2008

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Zenaida posted:

I ordered one from the local BMW dealer. MSRP is $450, and it comes with an insulating liner, and is supposed to be pretty waterproof. It has CE approved armor as well. People I've talked to seem a bit apprehensive about it, since it's basically an Aerostitch Roadcrafter for a little over half the price, but I'm not convinced that the difference in quality is that big.

It only comes in fluorescent yellow and gray though.

I've found that Olympia fits short and fat, so I hope you did your measurements. The garments are in fact pretty good though.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Uthor posted:

That looks nice, but just doesn't look convenient enough to wear to and from work. I'll think about it.

EDIT:

Yeah not all of us ride our motorcycles to the airport before hopping in our biplanes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MotoMind posted:

Most of the stuff you listed is crap. Carbolex (aka polyester) is a poor material for motorcycle use, but apparently it is pretty cheap. For your safety, look for nylon, or best yet, brand name Dupont Cordura textile. Olympia, for example, is consistently good about using quality fabrics. Buy used if you must, but I would not trust bargain basement brands and fabrics.

Thanks. I've seen that list before, but didn't realize that Carbolex = polyester. I've immediately stopped looking at things that didn't list material AT ALL. Even I know not to trust that stuff.

I was tossing up between the Tourmaster Transition Series 2 and the Olympia AST in bright yellow. ADVRider's all over the Olympia stuff, but the Tourmaster costs 1/2 as much. However, I think you made up my mind for me. There's a few other Olympia models that look good, but the AST sticks out the most.

There's a store in Chicago that supposedly sells Olympia stuff that I've been wanting to go back to, so I think I'll do that in a couple weeks when I'm back up there. It'll be the day or two before my birthday, so it's a perfect time to go shopping for expensive stuff.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Uthor posted:

EDIT:

Where the gently caress is he going? All the cool toys are behind him. :psyduck:

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Uthor posted:

I was tossing up between the Tourmaster Transition Series 2 and the Olympia AST in bright yellow.

I have an Olympia AST in neon yellow. It is very nice and worth every penny. It has kept me toasty down to ~20 degrees.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Doctor Zero posted:

Where the gently caress is he going? All the cool toys are behind him. :psyduck:
he's so cool with his hi-viz 1-piece that he doesn't even care about all that weak-rear end plane/motorcycle poo poo behind him. he's probably going to screw keira knightley who is waiting behind the camera. (AND IS ALREADY WET)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

He's probably got a hot bisexual wife that needs him to come home to a steamy threesome with the 18-year-old she picked up at the mall.

Lucky bastard.

e:f,b

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Uthor posted:

EDIT:

A good cheaper alternative to that suit is the Fieldsheer Highland suit. It's got a zipper from bottom cuff to neck, so you can take it off/put it on in under 10 seconds (how's that for convenient?). it's warm as hell with the liner in, and as waterproof as you could possibly want. I wore it from LA to the Arctic Circle and back this past summer, and it was absolutely perfect, other than making me look like a pudgy fighter pilot.

Also it's $240 right now at Ridenow Motorsports (http://www.ridenow.com/product/detail/RN78698.aspx).

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Nate Falls posted:

A good cheaper alternative to that suit is the Fieldsheer Highland suit. It's got a zipper from bottom cuff to neck, so you can take it off/put it on in under 10 seconds (how's that for convenient?). it's warm as hell with the liner in, and as waterproof as you could possibly want. I wore it from LA to the Arctic Circle and back this past summer, and it was absolutely perfect, other than making me look like a pudgy fighter pilot.

Also it's $240 right now at Ridenow Motorsports (http://www.ridenow.com/product/detail/RN78698.aspx).

It's carbolex (polyester) though. Although it says it's 600 denier and PU coated. Whatever the hell PU is.

Of course

MotoMind posted:

Realize that "denier" is not comparable across materials, since it is merely a measure of weight, not strength!!!

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Zenaida posted:

It's carbolex (polyester) though. Although it says it's 600 denier and PU coated. Whatever the hell PU is.

Of course

PU is polyurethane. Most garments have this coating.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Whatever it is, it's actually pretty sturdy construction. Not equivalent to leather, obviously, but it's definitely beefier than some other textile gear I've had.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Nate Falls posted:

Whatever it is, it's actually pretty sturdy construction. Not equivalent to leather, obviously, but it's definitely beefier than some other textile gear I've had.

Have you tested it to confirm that your impression of "sturdiness" (stiffness? thickness? weight?) corresponds to resistance to abrasion and tearing? A wool blanket can seem beefier than a lot of textile gear on the market, frankly.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 24, 2008

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
I ordered an Olympia Phantom, size large in the neon yellow (it's a *much* brighter neon color than the pictures make it appear), and while trying it on ten minutes after it arrived at the house, the zipper pull broke off. Trying to be a good sport I put the rest on anyway, and while it fit around the middle, the arms and legs were hilariously long. I'm 5'10, 180ish, so while I'm not fit, I'm not horribly fat either. I doubt a medium would have fit me around the gut.

The Phantom is a royal bitch to put on and take off because of the seven miles of superstrong velcro material it uses. I ride every day (don't own a car) and I wouldn't buy this suit for commuting; it would increase my five minutes of daily gear prep to something like ten. While it isn't okay for my needs, I'd bet this suit would be an unbeatable value for touring in the rain. The build quality was quite high (I own other Olympia gear and it's all top notch quality), but I think the average rider would be better off with the AST jacket and some pants (I have heard from friends that the AST isn't totally waterproof, but I don't own one myself).

Also kudos for Moto Liberty for taking the suit back no questions asked and giving me a no-hassle refund.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

predictive posted:

(I have heard from friends that the AST isn't totally waterproof, but I don't own one myself).
just got my AST last fall and rode it once in a good solid rain, and it worked great. this was with the liner in. i hear it might be less waterproof without the liner. rope kid or somebody here has one too.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The AST jacket is pretty much waterproof with the liner in. I also have the Ranger II pants, which leak a mild amount without the liner in. Of course, it always helps to use a waterproofing solution on gear regularly. Looks pretty nice, too.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 24, 2008

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Picked up some stuff off Newenough yesterday.

Oxtar SS Performance 2 boots for $119, which are being rebranded as TCS SS Performance 2 boots. This apparently justifies a $60 price difference ($179.00)

And a MotoGP Corkscrew jacket in blue (matches my helmet :gay:) for $125.

If I can't ride, I might as well buy stuff for riding, right?

Dean!
Jan 31, 2005

Dean! posted:

Can anyone recommend some noise canceling earphones? Here is what I am looking at so far:

* Etymotic Research Isolator Earphones - $90

* Sennheiser CX300 - $60

Does anyone have any experience with these? Do you know of something better?

I get to reply to myself and perform some semi-necromancy. Neat.

I bought a pair of the Etymotic ER6i's. I like them a lot. They felt comfortable after a hour long ride. They cut down on a lot of the wind noise. The noise reduction is about the same as the foam ear plugs I was using before. I'm not a sound buff by any means, but music and audio books sound really good to me; crisp and clear. Even riding around it sounds better than the cheap ear plugs my MP3 player came with.

I have to turn the volume way down on my MP3 player or it is too loud using these plugs. I set the volume to a comfortable level before I get on the bike. I can still hear everything just as well at 80MPH.

I do have to be careful putting my helmet on, or the right plug (always the right) gets twirked in such a way that I can only hear it when I open my mouth. Weird.

All in all I would definitely recommend me the ER6i's.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Fantastipotamus posted:

And a MotoGP Corkscrew jacket in blue (matches my helmet :gay:) for $125.

Nice, I snagged a MotoGP TT leather jacket the other day. Call me a brand whore but I'll be damned if this stuff isn't really good gear for a great price.

Also, don't look at my seemingly brand new knee pucks that are in fact 7 months old.

Still trying to decide what boots to get next. I was given $150 in Visa gift cards for my birthday, so that bumped my price range up to $300, maybe a little more. So now the options as best I see are Alpinestars SMX Plus, Sidi Vertigo or Vertigo Air, and the Oxtar TCS Replicas.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Got a general question - has anyone heard of "Sixth Gear" jackets? The reason I ask is because the local shop had some of them stocked and they fit me pretty damned well. Also, I liked the one I tried on (Python I think) because it had a bunch of reflective surfaces across the front and back, but didn't look lovely/tacky.

Something tells me this might not be the best stuff and I should stay away, but I think I'll put it out there anyway.

Edit: Jesus Christ their site sucks dick - the title for the Python jacket's page is "PAYTHON JACKET"

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 9, 2008

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I picked up an Olympia AST jacket and the Ranger 2 pants today. I didn't get the neon yellow, though. :( They didn't have one in my size and I didn't feel like ordering one online, so I got the "pewter." I'm not gonna get a chance to wear the stuff on the bike for a at least another month, but it fits me really well and I get hot in the jacket after like 3 minutes inside the house. It's supposed to hit 0F tomorrow, so I'll wear it around a bit to see if I stay warm. I might rip out the armor and use it as my winter coat.

The only complaint I have is with the pants. The Velcro up the side that keeps 'em waterproof is a pain in the rear end to open up (it is one long continuous piece) and since the liner is made to be removable, there are two zipper, two clasps, and two sets of Velcro strip everywhere that need to be cinched up every time you put the pants on. Bet that'll get annoying quick.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Welcome to the AST/Ranger 2 Army. I'm about to send my AST off to Rainy Pass Repair. The fabric glue I used to attach my patches isn't holding up on the Gore-Tex. Guys at advrider.com recommend Rainy Pass for all sorts of Gore-Tex related repairs and modifications.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I joined an army? drat.

I just took the dog for a walk and it's 30F out. the jacket worked great. I may need a thermal undershirt if moving at speed on the bike, but that's a big if.

I think I figured it out, but what are the two loops in the back of the jacket next to the zipper? I believe they're to attach to a belt if you're not wearing pants with a mating zipper. This jacket needs a manual.

rope kid posted:

Rainy Pass Repair.

I was thinking about putting some reflective patches on the back. I'll keep these guys in mind. Is there anything special I need to do to hem the bottom of the pants? They're about 3 inches too long and say "EZ Hem."

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 9, 2008

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Edit: I'm an idiot.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Uthor posted:

I just took the dog for a walk and it's 30F out. the jacket worked great. I may need a thermal undershirt if moving at speed on the bike, but that's a big if.
With the liner in, it's pretty damned windproof. Not to say that a little extra insulation won't help, but AST + liner = The Land Where No Wind Goes.

Uthor posted:

I was thinking about putting some reflective patches on the back. I'll keep these guys in mind. Is there anything special I need to do to hem the bottom of the pants? They're about 3 inches too long and say "EZ Hem."
Are they too long when you are standing, or when you are seated on a bike?

I found this at advrider.com:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4983633&postcount=7

"[EZ Hem] means that instead of letting the zippers go to the bottom of the pants, they added the extra 6" or so of velcro-close fabric so that you can shorten them without messing with (or replacing) the zippers.

I have the same pants, but they're only long when I stand up. Seated on the bike they're just fine.

I'd say that if you feel pretty handy with a needle and thread, have at it. MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE! Gently take apart the bottom seams, hem them up to where you want them, and hem them again. You'll likely lose the cinch-close velcro tab at the very bottom edge, but I don't even use those. If you do, you could always remove the stitching on them and move them up past the new hem line."

rope kid fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 10, 2008

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

rope kid posted:

I'd say that if you feel pretty handy with a needle and thread, have at it. MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE! Gently take apart the bottom seams, hem them up to where you want them, and hem them again. You'll likely lose the cinch-close velcro tab at the very bottom edge, but I don't even use those. If you do, you could always remove the stitching on them and move them up past the new hem line."

Yeah, I was wondering a bit about the bottom adjustment.

I haven't gotten on the bike, yet, but when standing, they're well past the bottom of my boots. Like, there's no way I'd be able to walk while wearing them.

I've got an aunt that's really good with a needle and thread. She'll probably run it through the sewing machine. It's the thread that I'm wondering about. I should see if there is something strong out there that is still usable without a special machine.

EDIT: My aunt said she won't work on them because her machine won't handle the material. I found my motorcycle boots and tried the pants on. While trimming up the bottoms will make them lay better, they bunch up a bit around the boot and don't get under the heel. Sitting in a chair, the bottoms are even with my ankle. I'm just gonna leave 'em unless they really start to piss me off.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 10, 2008

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Now that springs about to roll around and I'll be riding more, I've made note of all the things I now deem unacceptable in my current riding gear and would like to begin replacing it. What I really am looking for is hard data showing specific weights, size, materials used, etc, between several manufacturers models of similar products.

I would like to start with helmets, and I've been assured that if it passes DOT and Snell that it will protect me adequately, so I'm not worried about that. What I am worried about are things like weight, liners, visors, and venting. I'm kinda at a loss because I can find maybe one decent review with that info, but only for really top of the line stuff that would cost me more than what I was planning to pay for my next three helmets combined.

Fake Edit: This isn't pure racing gear here, I'm going to need to use it for the road too so it needs to be bearable under any condition I would consider riding in, not just sunny track days, but the criteria is still pretty much the same.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
http://www.webbikeworld.com/ is pretty good for helmets. They got a whole heck of a lot of reviews up there, and if the one you are looking at isn't there there will probably be something similar. They've got some other gear also, but its rather sparse sometimes.

Other than that page I've really been at a loss for a good consolidated website for motorcycle gear and would be interested in knowing what other people have found also.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Xlyfindel posted:

Now that springs about to roll around and I'll be riding more, I've made note of all the things I now deem unacceptable in my current riding gear and would like to begin replacing it. What I really am looking for is hard data showing specific weights, size, materials used, etc, between several manufacturers models of similar products.

I would like to start with helmets, and I've been assured that if it passes DOT and Snell that it will protect me adequately, so I'm not worried about that. What I am worried about are things like weight, liners, visors, and venting. I'm kinda at a loss because I can find maybe one decent review with that info, but only for really top of the line stuff that would cost me more than what I was planning to pay for my next three helmets combined.

Fake Edit: This isn't pure racing gear here, I'm going to need to use it for the road too so it needs to be bearable under any condition I would consider riding in, not just sunny track days, but the criteria is still pretty much the same.

I'd look at mid line shoeis like the TZ-R which is a great all round helmet in the low $200s. If you have a more oval shaped head like me, I'd look at the scorpion Ex-700 line, or Shark's lineup but Shark will cost a bit more. You can usually find out 80% of the things you need to know about a helmet by going and trying them on for 10-15 mins each. If it fogs up a bunch in the store it'll fog up at street lights. If you can't use your glasses/sunglasses you'll need to change visors, if changing the visor is hard now it will be worse on the side of the road in the dark. The only things I find hard to judge in the store is helmet noise, and lining durability.

Webbikeworld seems to be the end all and be all bike gear review site. I do find Pauls' comments about fit and sizing to be very accurate on Newenough.com.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

PlasticSun posted:

I'd look at mid line shoeis like the TZ-R which is a great all round helmet in the low $200s. If you have a more oval shaped head like me, I'd look at the scorpion Ex-700 line, or Shark's lineup but Shark will cost a bit more. You can usually find out 80% of the things you need to know about a helmet by going and trying them on for 10-15 mins each. If it fogs up a bunch in the store it'll fog up at street lights. If you can't use your glasses/sunglasses you'll need to change visors, if changing the visor is hard now it will be worse on the side of the road in the dark. The only things I find hard to judge in the store is helmet noise, and lining durability.

Webbikeworld seems to be the end all and be all bike gear review site. I do find Pauls' comments about fit and sizing to be very accurate on Newenough.com.

Coincidentally I do have a tz-r made in about 04-05. Some reasons I'm shopping around are I scuffed it pretty noticibley in my first off into a grassy ditch, and I dropped it in the parking lot some time ago and chipped the paint, plus the lining kinda compacted over time and its getting loose now. I really like it, and if shoei made photochromatic visors for it, I would probably just get a new one one size smaller and find someone to paint it. Someone offered to straight up trade me their kbc or hjc or something or other not more than a week ago, but it didn't fit me, and though it looked flashier than mine I wasn't so certain on its other assets.

Webbikeworld is gigantic, I read through alot of their site, but mostly on maintenance products and stuff, used them when I was trying to find gloves last year.

PS-I wish i paid in the low 200s for mine, I got it from the dealership before I got the bike and I thought they were giving it to me for a steal since they knocked the sticker price down like 60 bucks. ended up paying 374... Guess I just paid for trying it on, definitely going to look for other retailers now though.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
Well, I've been looking at RS Taichi gear for a long while now, and need a regular street jacket. I'm not too impressed with the usual Dainese/Alpinestars stuff, and I really don't like the quality of some of the Joe Rocket jackets. Then I realized that RS Taichi makes street jackets. Did some searching and found jackets at a reasonable price. Then I came across this thread on the 600rr forums:

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=96398

God does that gear look uber beautiful. Please stop me from emptying my bank account on a custom suit and new jacket :cry:

Anyone else own some RS Taichi stuff?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I have a sporty Dainese leather jacket that bunchs up a lot in the stomach area when I'm on my bike which has a near up-right sitting position. It's really annoying, but are all leather jackets going to do this? I can only imagine it'd be worse on an actual sport bike. I'm rather skinny, so I guess that may be part of it. I've tried a few jackets on and the ones I tried seem to do this, but are there any brands or styles in particular you guys would recommend to avoid this?

Also, I'm rather dissatisfied with my Dainese jacket in terms of quality. I wouldn't buy it again, and I'm certainly not going with anything Dainese again (though it survives crashes very well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Also, I'm rather dissatisfied with my Dainese jacket in terms of quality. ... (though it survives crashes very well).

What more do you want? :psyduck: